Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2021, 12:11   #1

Which car should I buy for Rs 35 lakhs?

Hi all,
Need some advice for a new car for my dad. Currently he has a nearly 6 years old Hyundai Creta SX+ Diesel Manual which has nearly completed 1.5L kms and we are planning on replacing it in the next 3-4 months with a SUV/Compact SUV/MUV and have a budget of ~Rs 35L(ex-showroom).

Some constraints/expectations:
1. Mostly used for Highway(70%) driving in and around Gurgaon and rest of the times in the city. The roads are bad here, probably a car with good ground clearance should do the job. Monthly usage of about 2500Km.
2. The car will be driven by a chauffeur mostly.
3. Powerful AC for second row passengers.
4. Diesel AT only.
5. We will definitely keep this car for 9-10 years, so long term reliability and build quality matters a lot.
6. Safety and comfort are a very important criteria. Looking for a 4 or a 5 star rated vehicle with 6 or 6+ airbags.
7. 4X4 or an AWD is not needed, have a Thar for that purpose.
8. Features like sunroof, electronic tailgate, voice commands, android/apple carplay, big touchscreen and other gizmos are good to have features but not necessary.
9. Strictly no European car. Had a really bad experience with Skoda Laura 6 years back. The service cost of the car over 5 years of it's ownership was nearly 35% of the on-road price.

Options Considered:
1. Toyota Fortuner
2. MG Gloster
3. Jeep Compass
4. Kia Carnival
5. Toyota Innova
6. Mahindra XUV 700
7. Tata Hector/Safari
8. Hyundai Tucson
9. Isuzu MU-X
10. Upcoming 7 seater Jeep Compass/Commander(if it comes by Dec/Jan)

To all the automobile experts here, which car should my dad go for keeping in mind the above constraints.
Kelvinator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 15:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which car should I buy for Rs 35 lakhs?

For Pure Back Seat usage, nothing beats the Tata Safari.

Not just the seats themselves and the space, it is the way the vehicle demolishes bad patches and maintains it's ride quality at all speeds, that sets it apart from others.

The Innova also makes sense, and is very comfortable as well.
However, it is a bit down of gadgets & gizmos.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 17:11   #3
BHPian

The Innova and Fortuner make the most sense according to me, in terms of comfort long term reliability.

Just an opinion - a Skoda, especially the Laura wasn't really a good advertisement of European cars, especially their after sales service about which a lot has been written on this forum. Maybe something to consider.
Old 8th October 2021, 17:37   #4
Team-BHP Support

I feel the following make good options.

1. Toyota Fortuner / Innova:

Simply can’t go wrong with either of the Toyota twins. Nothing special about these cars though beyond a point, but they’ll simply never disappoint.

2. Jeep Meridian

If you can defer this decision by a year, then I think that’s a brilliant option to keep in mind. It will feel more special than the Toyotas and a more spacious package than the somewhat compact Compass.

3. Citroen C5

I’m hesitant recommending this because its a one product new company which is already a dead on arrival product - overpriced too to boot. But for its core attributes it definitely makes a compelling proposition.

4. MG Gloster

Very plush and luxurious. For 2500 kms per month of comfortable, luxurious commuting, it should be high on your list.

5. Hyundai Tucson

Only if you can wait for the next gen one. Not sure when exactly it’ll launch.

For immediate purchase, I think the Gloster or the Fortuner are your best bets. If you can wait, then the Commander is a very interesting proposition along with the Tucson which should be worth considering alongside the Jeep.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 19:49   #5

As I was reading your post, only one option popped in my mind - Skoda superb, but that last paragraph really was an anticlimax.
You might have had a bad experience with skoda before but the company seems to be really trying hard to up and alter its ASS. With kushaq doing reasonably well, the service centres are once again in the thick of things and busy.
Do try the new superb once. It really is a class apart from all the options you have mentioned. If not superb then I would say the Jeep Compass S variant gets my vote.

Last edited by ampere : 8th October 2021 at 20:08.
mpod11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 21:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvinator View Post
To all the automobile experts here, which car should my dad go for keeping in mind the above constraints.
While I am no expert, given all these requirements, especially back seat comfort and long term reliability, the Innova is a no-brainer.
Old 25th October 2021, 13:41   #7
BHPian

You can try Kia Carnival too. I feel the ground clearance is bad on this one but it offers incredible value for money experience in the back seat which is your primary place to be in.

Would recommend to stay away from Safari, why? just go through the threads online. You want a piece of mind for 10 years, you are not getting that with a TATA.

Gloster is a good choice too. Plush interior and good after sales. Spares are a little expensive though.

Wouldn't recommend C5 because we order food online more number of times then the total cars they sell in a month. So expect very 'bleh' service and possibility of discontinuation. It's also badly over priced.
Old 25th October 2021, 13:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Listing out one-by-one:

- I'll rule out the Jeeps simply because the maintenance costs will be comparatively higher than the rest of the brands.
- Since this car will be majorly chauffer-driven, the Kia would have been a great option, except it's really big for the city.
- The Fortuner isn't really comfortable on bad roads as is pretty much evident from reviews on the forum. The Gloster, though better, faces a bit of a similar situation.
- XUV7OO & Safari/Harrier are good options if you can wait (more so for the XUV7OO).

Just putting it out there, None of these cars have yet been crash-tested. The XUV7OO might be tested soon. The Safari/Harrier still face that same issue with the protrusion caused by the Fiat 2.0L engine.

That leaves you with the Innova & Tuscon from your list.

- Innova: Bulletproof reliability, comfortable ride, workhorse engines. To be honest, there's nothing like an Innova for your dad. It might be down on features, but there's a reason why companies and families alike choose it.

- Tuscon: Really good option, though it's starting to somewhat show it's age. Still it's a very solid car, pretty hard to beat in it's segment.

A new entrant from my side though is the Citroen C5. Yes, it might be French & not very VFM. But, for the kind of ride and easy manoeuvrability it offers both in the cities and highways is really commendable. You might want to take a serious look at this one.
Old 25th October 2021, 14:11   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

For mainly chauffeur driven use, you can rule out the Citroen & Jeep purely due to the lack of legroom.

Similarly the Fortuner can be ruled out for it's bumpy ride quality.

Since you've had a pleasant experience with Hyundai, can look at the Tucson : it's refined, comfortable ride, and fairly spacious and practical. It may not be brimming with features, and a bit outdated but at current prices it makes a good case for itself. I don't expect the new Tucson to be priced as competitively as the current one, given it's competitors such as the CRV, Tiguan, etc. were all priced above Rs. 30L ex-showroom.

The Carnival, though a brilliant vehicle, may not have the ground clearance you would need owing to it's massive wheelbase + can be a bit of a handful when he self drives. However, do check it out & do keep in mind that an all new generation is expected soon as well.

The XUV700 : May not be delivered in time, though some of the niggles should be sorted by the time yours is ready for delivery

Safari : It's a good option though there will be niggles. If you can live with them, the car is fantastic all round!

Innova : Plan B. Can't go wrong with it. Comfy seating, ride, reliability, and abuse friendly nature backed by strong resale. Ticks all the boxes in the head, but not necessarily a car bought by the heart.
Old 25th October 2021, 14:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Innova fits the bill. Time tested, holds value, extremely reliable, exceptionally comfortable as its chauffeur-driven. Fortuner though good is bouncy and is meant for a different purpose. That car is very uncomfortable in the rear seat and is not the horse for your course.
Old 25th October 2021, 19:59   #11
BHPian

If you are ready to compromise on build quality, Innova crysta Top end diesel should fall well within your budget. Apart from build quality, it fulfills all your requirements. Else if reliability is something that you can let go and probably stretch your budget slightly, Gloster is the vehicle that you should pick. Had Ford still been in India I would have recommended the Endeavor 4x2 eyes closed.
Old 26th October 2021, 11:07   #12
BHPian

IMO Innova though good on many fronts and very reliable, doesn't score high on ride comfort. Whenever I travel in it I am constantly moving around due to its BOF construction. I have tried but could never sleep peacefully on a long or short journey.

The new Safari on the other hand is monocoque construction and thus very comfortable. Bad roads, undulations don't affect it much and feels premium inside. Also though Tata vehicle can't match toyota in reliability, but they don't have any major reliability issue, only minor niggles. That also TAta takes care of. Gloster looks plush but no personal experience. I would say try Safari and Gloster and decide for yourself.
MADMAX111 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 14:17   #13
BHPian

Hi, reading all the suggestions given by my esteemed colleagues I would rather try to maybe fine-tune around them as options more or less stays the same.
Rule out:
1. Citroen C5- considering your bad experience with Skoda and and not having enough sample size to really gauge the reliability of the car. But the main reason for me is the 3 individual seat in the 2nd row is downer. Simply not what a chauffeur driven would prefer. And simply overpriced.
2. Tucson, Jeep 7 seater, XUV 700- facelifted version might get delayed, next year lauch in 2nd half, wait times respectively.

Consider in order of preference.
1. MG Gloster- Bang for buck, plush and luxurious. Was in love with the car when sat in backseat of neighbours Gloster. Loaded to the hilt. Did I not mention premium? Sorry I drool sometimes over cars that I fall in love with.

2. Toyota Twins: for me innova is just too vanilla(which is a good thing for many in the country, Toyota have understood the market just like Maruti has with innova) and fortuner as said by bhpians above you just can't go wrong with them. But just on a cautionary side do check the DPF problems faced by some fortuner owners and reported on this forum as well.

Compass and Carnival- No comments as I don't have any experience with them.

No means No ��: Isuzu MUX massively extremely overpriced and still dated cabin I can go on and on about it. Less the better. Enough said.
Old 27th October 2021, 14:31   #14
BHPian

Are you open to used cars? Why not a CRV then - Good Diesel AT options are in olx. It's super comfortable, good ground clearance and power wouldn't matter for chauffeur driven.
And the reliability is good, I'd rate it next to Fortuner.

Fortuner and Gloster are no go basis ride comfort. Innova/Carnival are vans (no idea if you are okay with it).

Gloster if you/dad are okay with the ride. Fortuner, one wouldn't enjoy being chauffeured around. I would pick if it's self driven though
Old 12th July 2023, 10:29   #15
rGT
BHPian

Hi Team!
I've fallen into the same conundrum as the OP. We want to replace our '19 Creta 1.6 P AT ('20 Jan registered) with a car within a price of Rs. 30 lakhs.

Context:
In December '19, we exchanged our '11 Nissan Sunny XV petrol for the Creta, and the latter was chosen in petrol guise because we don't have a lot of running to do (the Sunny did a meagre 42k Kms in 8 years), and AT for its convenience. The Nissan really impressed all of us, with its reliability and urban performance, and that lounge of a backseat meant it was supremely VFM as a family car. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the Creta. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good car. But there are some inherent issues with it that soured our experience, and continue to do so. For instance:

1. The car always has got some part rattling around, despite it being driven and taken care of lovingly by my father.
2. My father and I are built on the heftier side of the scale, as a result of which, the front seats of the car don't feel comfortable and supportive over longer distances.
3. This is the most important point; the FE of the car is abysmal. It can put several other cars of much higher displacement to eat dust in a competition of "which has the worst FE?".

Apart from the aforementioned points, the Creta could just never "connect" with us, if you know what I mean. It's a very unexciting, and dare I say, an almost boring car.
So now, we are looking for a car that would be decently reliable, and economical enough to not burn a hole in my father's pockets.

Criteria
1. A structurally strong and safe car
2. Preferably Hybrid/Petrol/Diesel
3. An SUV to tackle Gurgaon's submerged roads
4. Should have enough features to feel like an upgrade from the Creta

Contenders
1. Hyundai Alcazar: This is my father's first choice, as he feels like it's the perfect upgrade from the Creta. He likes the overall interior ambience and the flexibility that the third row can offer, if and when required. I'm not too keen on it, though, because of the questionable safety it offers, considering it has the same underpinnings as the Seltos and new Creta. Also, I don't think the 1.5 Turbo Petrol is going to be more efficient over the 1.6 NA. It'd be similar, if not worse, atleast in city conditions.
2. Mahindra XUV7OO : This is quite possibly the most well rounded car in the segment. Both dad and I liked it. However, we are apprehensive of Mahindra's electronic reliability, and the Turbo Petrol is a guzzler.
3. Toyota Hycross : This is the car that meets all of our requirements. But it's a proper 7 seater MPV, which dad believes is a bit of an overkill for our family of 3. Plus, I detest it's looks.
4.Tata Harrier : As someone in this forum had mentioned, it is a great product in the wrong hands. The Harrier has always been a likeable car, and with the 2023 updates, it has become a very matured and worthy opponent to it's competitors. What keeps us away, is Tata's pathetic ASS and overall reliability (or the lack of it). It also lacks the finesse of a Hyundai, but it's something that can be overlooked. Another factor, like the Alcazar, is it's safety rating, though, if we were to go by previous results, the Tata is more likely to score a 4+ rating, than the Hyundai.

Cars not considered:
1. MG Hector: A good and comfortable car, but the Chinese factor plays spoilsport.
2. Jeep Compass: Grossly overpriced for the space offered.
3. Tata Safari: Dad doesn't like the shape of the car somehow. Also, underneath, it is the same car as the Harrier, with a third row of seats and some added gizmos thrown in, both of which aren't important for us.
4. Hyryder/Grand Vitara: Belongs to the same segment as the Creta, and the rear space and comfort isn't the best, especially the headroom on offer. For 6ft tall me, that is important.

A wild card suggestion by me was to get a used 2018/19 Camry Hybrid for the same price as a new XUV/ Harrier. It'd guarantee Toyota reliability, superb FE figures and an overall premium experience. But dad doesn't want a sedan, as it would be a risky proposition on NCR's roads, especially during the monsoons, where the roads disappear in favour of lakes and rivers

Now, I leave it to you people to provide a remedy to this dilemma. Which one of the above should we go for? Should we change our car at all?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks