Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2021, 16:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Jeep Compass 4x4 vs Toyota Fortuner Legender 4x4 | EDIT: Getting the Compass Model S

Fortuner ticks every box that includes the value it retains. Space, comfort, looks, features, reliability, great 4 by 4, excellent space, resale value even after 300K km, and did I mention reliability.

If you want no-nonsense ownership, pick the Toyota.

Ride quality is immaterial in these two cars. Neither are you going to carve the roads at high speeds nor are you going to push them through crazy off-roading.

Both are good but my common sense says it has to be the Toyota.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 16:19   #17
BHPian

re: Jeep Compass 4x4 vs Toyota Fortuner Legender 4x4 | EDIT: Getting the Compass Model S

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudhir View Post
Hi,

Need to decide between the Compass 4x4 Model-S and the Fortuner Legender 4x4. I have done a test drive of both (long drive, break testing at high speed, top speed, highway, city roads etc)
I say drop the Legender (unless you really love it’s looks) and decide between regular Fortuner 4Wd and Compass AWD

With Compass you will able to reach smaller places in the wild and often narrow trials. Compass’ compact footprint makes it extremely agile in the jungles and it’s shorter wheelbase Aids it’s off road abilities. Compass panoramic sunroof and 360 camera will also be a boon in the wild/off road areas. Only issue is that it’s automatic gearbox has a distinct learning curve (in pedal to metal and high speed overtaking conditions)

Also, Jeep is expected to launch an even better off-road variant of the compass- the Trailhawk. It will sport even higher ground clearance and a virtual low range box. You can look at it.

As far as fortuner goes- it will give you much bigger space but can prove cumbersome in the wild. If size and missing features are not an issue, then go for this mighty SUV.

Off-topic: if size and rear space are not needed much then Thar automatic is also a good option. XUV700 AWD too is a nice option (it may have limited off-road abilities compared to SUVs mentioned in my reply)

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th October 2021 at 17:34.
AMG1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 16:21   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Usually the Fortuner would lose in the ride department. But you are happy with how the Fortuner handles/rides, except for high speed corners where the Compass rightfully is better. Maybe owning a Safari for a decade must make everything else handle better

So guess it boils down to your usage.

If it is just single/small family usage and mostly urban, highway. Compass.

If it pucca family usage or your job/trips take you to remote difficult places atleast twice a year. Fortuner.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 18:35   #19
Team-BHP Support

Nice to see you on TBHP Sudhir.

Here are few quotes for you to keep in mind before you decide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Assuming you do would do it on a regular basis as part of your profession - I would suggest the Fortuner. The rugged nature of a ladder frame vehicle would be the primary differentiator between these two! Another big differentiator when doing bad roads - would be those 55 profile 18-inch tyres on the Compass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
I think Fortuner because of remote places you may have to go and Toyota have better service network compared to Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Fortuner ticks every box that includes the value it retains. Space, comfort, looks, features, reliability, great 4 by 4, excellent space, resale value even after 300K km, and did I mention reliability.

If you want no-nonsense ownership, pick the Toyota.
You’re not looking for serious off-road adventure. If you’re then you need to go for some pretty serious (read unnecessarily expensive) modifications.

Going by your nature of work and travel, my humble suggestion will be Fortuner (not Legender).
Rudra Sen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 21:15   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Nice to see you on TBHP Sudhir.
Hey Rudra, So good to see you around. Yes, back after a gap of 12 years as this is my No.1 choice to take advice from all you seniors.

After a lot of analysis and looking at comments here and of course taking into account wife's choice - Have decide the Jeep Compass Model-S 4x4. I love that car and especially the metallic green.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions / advice and tips. You folks here Rock!!!

Rgds,
Sudhir
vasudhir is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 21:46   #21
BHPian

Hello Sudhir, Nice to know that you are on TBHP. I just subscribed to your FB page today having similar passion Good that you already made a choice. Since you were considering Fortuner did you also consider Gloster?
Old 11th October 2021, 23:42   #22
BHPian

Hey Sudhi, a good choice with the Jeep. Let me know the on road price when you get your vehicle. Catch up when I am in Bangalore next. Hope the plastic stuff doesn’t fly of the car this time.
Old 12th October 2021, 09:04   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Let's leave the cost aside. What would be your advice? I am confused between the two.

I have not done night driving. So how's lighting of both?

Feel free to ask me any questions and would be happy to answer.

Rgds,
Sudhir Shivaram
Since you will hang out at remote places, reliability is important, and Toyota wins there.

Secondly, you would do a lot of bad roads. While both can do it, ifyou do it day after day, the fortuner will hold up to more abuse thanks to ladder on frame chasis. On the flip side it will consume more fuel
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 09:34   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangy62 View Post
Hey Sudhi, a good choice with the Jeep. Let me know the on road price when you get your vehicle. Catch up when I am in Bangalore next. Hope the plastic stuff doesn’t fly of the car this time.
Hey Rangy man...good to see you here. hahaha...na in this case this time the car will fly...
Old 12th October 2021, 12:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

Since you are coming from Safari, I am assuming you know the pros and cons of body on frame. Compass is good and is off-road capable- thanks to compact dimensions. Its also the one with more soft touch materials, if that matters. Area where Fortuner scores is w.r.to ruggedness, abuse friendly, space on offer, Low range transfer case(guess regular compass misses these, i might be wrong). Fortuner should also be the easier to get serviced, as they have more number of service centers. If you are ok to let go quad lights, gimmicky chargers, get the regular 4x4 Fortuner and use the saved 5L to soup up your ride.
PrideRed is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 12:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Need to decide between the Compass 4x4 Model-S and the Fortuner Legender 4x4. I have done a test drive of both (long drive, break testing at high speed, top speed, highway, city roads etc)

For my needs - both meets the requirement. I will not be doing any serious off roading. May be driving to remote jungle locations with bad roads which both will easily take.

Rgds,
Sudhir Shivaram
Hey Sudhir! Good to see you here :-)

For the last 10 years I have been using a 4x4 Fortuner for exactly your types of use cases (forest trail driving in the Himalayas, Satpuras and Nilgiris; visiting remote FRHs; cross country drives including night drives). I would strongly recommend the Fortuner. One has peace of mind with the Fortuner, knowing that it won't let you down when you are far away from civilization. And the extra space helps for carrying photography gear, tents, camping stuff etc. - especially when traveling with other folks who would bring their own gear along.
nilanjanray is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 19:00   #27
BHPian

It's not an apple to apple comparison per se except for the so-called "SUV" misnomer.

Fortuner - A body on frame proper SUV
Compass - A monocoque cross-over (Or SUV'ish)

The compass will be miles better in terms of ride, handling, high-speed maneuvering, stability, driving comfort, mileage for the obvious reason that it's built on a monocoque chassis.

The Fortuner will be miles better in terms of ruggedness, solid build, reliability, ownership experience, maintenance cost, service network, resale value again for obvious 2 reasons - ladder frame chassis and the brand "Toyota".
Fortuner also scores more in terms of 4*4 (offroad) capability.

On other factors like fit and finish, features - compass scores well
Looks and color choices are always subjective.

Personally, I feel that both cars are overpriced for their value proposition. And Ford's exit has made Toyota hands and mind free to increase the price of Fortuner. Half a crore for a Fortuner is way too much.

Since you were using a 4*2 vehicle in past (for 9 years almost), given your requirements (based on your points) and hoping that you can still manage with a 4*2, here is my order of recommendation
1. Compass S 4*2 manual (Still Toyota is more reliable for your kind of use).
2. Fortuner 4*2 (Non-Legender)
3. Fortuner 4*4 (Non-Legender)
4. Fortuner Legender 4*4
4. Compass S 4*4
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 19:30   #28
BHPian

Here goes my thoughts.

Fortuner is usually a head decision. Gives peace of mind, much better resale value but compromises on luxury (still), ride quality, handling and feel good

Compass: This is usually a heart first forte especially the mettallic green. Comes with all bells and whistles, few lakhs cheaper than fortuner. you will feel special on your journeys, damn whenever you see your car parked. But takes a hit on resale and what not.
noufal.ps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 23:39   #29
BHPian

Go for Jeep Compass if:
  • You are fine with 4.5 seater and lesser boot space.
  • You are not planning some serious off-roading.
  • You want a compact SUV which would work both in City and Highways.
  • You are fine with slightly sluggish ZF9 gearbox ( as compared to Fortuner ).
  • You don't want Toyota Level reliability. Jeep Compass in itself is a very reliable car I believe.

Go for Fortuner if:
  • You've got that extra 15L and want to spend it nevertheless.
  • You want more space and 5-7 seater.
  • Jeep Compass ZF9 AT is just too sluggish for you.
  • Jeep Commander is not something you are looking for.
  • You want to keep the SUV for 10-15 years.
rAijin_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 09:18   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

(

1. What car are you coming from?
2. What usage your usage?
3. How long do you plan to keep your car?
4. What do you want from the new car?
5. Would a monocoque vs boc construction affect your decision?

Most Viewed