Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2021, 09:34   #31
BHPian

re: Jeep Compass 4x4 vs Toyota Fortuner Legender 4x4 | EDIT: Getting the Compass Model S

I think his home minister has already made the decision. It’s going to be tough for him to change his mind now.
chethan.ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 09:34   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: Jeep Compass 4x4 vs Toyota Fortuner Legender 4x4 | EDIT: Getting the Compass Model S

If you are used to Safari and unless you're downsizing, Fortuner it is. No brainer here.
Old 13th October 2021, 09:48   #33
BHPian

What about the Compass Trailhawk? It should make its entry in the near future.
Old 13th October 2021, 09:57   #34
Senior - BHPian

Not sure of the Compass but I think the Fortuner has a shorter service interval of 5k kms unless this has changed. If you drive a lot you may find yourself at the service center once every 3 months just for routine maintenance.

Just for the T badge and the road presence I will pick the Fortuner any day if budget is not a constraint.
Old 13th October 2021, 10:18   #35
BHPian

As you mentioned you own a 9 years old safari, Fortuner makes better sense if you intend to keep it that long. Also Compass will be a downgrade in terms of interior space.
Fortuner will have more respect on the road. Cops will not dare to stop a Fortuner, nor will pedestrians dare to jump in front of this beast. Since I am from NCR you can relate .

Compass base model starts under 20L; it has killed the premium vehicle feel of Compass Model S
bravo82in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 10:47   #36
BHPian

We own 4x2 versions of both in the family. Both are vastly different vehicles at completely different price points.

What works for the Fortuner is the status, road presence, space, the ‘peace of mind’ factor and the brand recall. And it should have a much better resale value when its time to change. The ladder on frame chassis and bulk however make the Fortuner relatively inefficient, bumpy and cumbersome to drive. And the climb up and down hasn’t been very convenient for the elder members of the family.

The Compass on the other hand has been easier to self drive in the city and enjoyable on the highways and till date has been reliable except for the factory fitted battery conking off rather early. Space is down vs the Fortuner and for larger families, where you plan to travel together, the Compass falls short. But you do get a panoramic sunroof that the Fortuner misses out on but this is not a biggie for many.

50+L for a Fortuner Legender 4x4 is exorbitant and is not value for money. But if you have a need for the space and can afford this capital expenditure, the Fortuner may be the way forward.

Last edited by clementj : 13th October 2021 at 10:49.
Old 13th October 2021, 11:30   #37
BHPian

For your use case, a Fortuner makes sense just for the reliability and peace-of-mind. Sounds like you may go to remote places quite often. The last thing you want is to be stuck in the middle of nowhere. For that reason alone, buy the Toyota.
Old 13th October 2021, 13:04   #38
BHPian

Both the cars are overpriced but if I had to buy one, I would go for the Fortuner. Apart from better interior and sunroof, Jeep has nothing special to offer while Fortuner has massive road presence, excellent after sales and resale, reliability, higher ground clearance, cheaper service and better engine performance.
asm3899_CHD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 13:48   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudhir View Post
Hi,

Need to decide between the Compass 4x4 Model-S and the Fortuner Legender 4x4. I have done a test drive of both (long drive, break testing at high speed, top speed, highway, city roads etc)

(Tested the Legender 4x2 as 4x4 is still not available)
I would wait till the Jeep Meridian is launched in about 6 months. I feel it will have the best of both worlds for your needs..It will have the upmarket interior that a around 40 Lakh vehicle should have, Will (most probably) have better comfort and handling, will have modern features, may have better fuel efficiency (2 liter engine compared to 2.8 liter, plus there are rumors that the jeep could also have a 48v mild hybrid system which may contribute towards better fuel efficiency), will have much more boot space if you fold the last row down for your photography equipments.
Old 13th October 2021, 13:49   #40
BHPian

These are different segment cars, but purely as a means of hassle free transport form point A to point B with a life of at least 5 years do remember that Jeep has reported multitude of problems globally. Parts are usually expensive and some of them take time to reach your service station. Second it has minimal resale value. It is a fine driving vehicle for 3-4m years for sure and you will enjoy far better driving dynamics than Fortuner. But next two years you will face challenges. None of this in Fortuner. It is a tall and a bigger car but extremely manoeuvrable, safe, and generally minimal rounds to the service station. And fantastic resale value. If you have the money and need for longer duration and are worried about resale, go for Fortuner. If the car is for a shorter duration and you are not worried about resale, maintenance costs etc go for Compass.
neerajku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 16:18   #41
BHPian

I would put my money on Legender over Compass. I myself am a proud owner of Compass, then why am I suggesting Lengender over Compass?
  • Jeep has less resale value. Even after 5-6 years you can easily get 60-70% back on Toyota.
  • Legender maintenance is less.
  • Toyota has more service touch points compared to Jeep.
  • 7 seats vs 5 seats.
  • Compass diesel AT is sluggish.
  • You can get accessories like 360 camera etc from aftermarket these days.
  • Peace of mind maintenance when spending so much money is also important. Not that I faced any issues with FCA but many have especially with touch screen and sunroof rattles.
  • Unbeatable space.
  • Put a local party flag on dashboard and people and toll gate employees might think you as politician/bada babu (Just kidding).

Last edited by ramnaresh_2000 : 13th October 2021 at 16:28.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 18:10   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

You have used a Safari Dicor for a decade!!

Anything will handle better and have lesser body roll.

If driving pleasure is your priority, Jeep Compass. Everything else,- Fortuner.

Sadly, you will miss out on ride quality in the fortuner given you have been accustomed to the plush ride of the Safari. Personally, the power advantage will overshadow the ride quality. 500 Nm is something exciting to experience, almost 200 Nm & 40 BHP over your much heavier, taller Safari.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 20:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudhir View Post
Hi,
Need to decide between the Compass 4x4 Model-S and the Fortuner Legender 4x4. I have done a test drive of both (long drive, break testing at high speed, top speed, highway, city roads etc)

Let's leave the cost aside. What would be your advice? I am confused between the two.
Since budget is not the problem and you have been using Tata Safari for last 9 years, I would assume that you are going to hold the new one for atleast 10 years if not more.

Keeping this in mind, I would highly recommend Toyota Fortuner Legender.
Old 29th October 2021, 13:15   #44
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass 4x4 vs Toyota Fortuner Legender 4x4 | EDIT: Getting the Compass Model S

Dear all, thanks for all your inputs. I have finally booked the Metallic Green Jeep Compass Model S.

I have the 30k free accessories offer. Any recommendations what I should go for ? They are saying getting PPF done for the vehicle will be good. I am not sure.

Your advice and recommendations would be helpful for the 30k accessories.

Thanks
Sudhir

Last edited by vasudhir : 29th October 2021 at 13:16.
vasudhir is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks