Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2021, 18:47   #1
BHPian

Jeep Compass 4x4 vs Toyota Fortuner Legender 4x4 | EDIT: Getting the Compass Model S

Hi,

Need to decide between the Compass 4x4 Model-S and the Fortuner Legender 4x4. I have done a test drive of both (long drive, break testing at high speed, top speed, highway, city roads etc)

(Tested the Legender 4x2 as 4x4 is still not available)

My take:
- Space wise Fortuner is obviously great and is a 7 seater.
- Interiors I liked the Jeep and the dashboard display
- Top speed both easily I could do good speeds and ride was smooth.
- Music system I liked Jeep (not sure about 4x4 Legender as it's supposed to have 11 JBL speakers)
- Jeep - felt like it was a bit cramped (since I have been using Tata Safari Dicore 4x2 VXL) for last 9 years.
- High speed turning at curves - felt Jeep was more in control.
- Will go for the Metallic Green in Jeep if I decide. Loved it.
- Initial power - Loved the pickup of Fortuner which I missed in Jeep.

For my needs - both meets the requirement. I will not be doing any serious off roading. May be driving to remote jungle locations with bad roads which both will easily take.

Let's leave the cost aside. What would be your advice? I am confused between the two.

I have not done night driving. So how's lighting of both?

Feel free to ask me any questions and would be happy to answer.

Rgds,
Sudhir Shivaram

Last edited by Aditya : 10th October 2021 at 19:27. Reason: Mention of high speed driving
vasudhir is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 19:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Jeep Compass 4x4 vs Toyota Fortuner Legender 4x4 | EDIT: Getting the Compass Model S

They’re different as chalk and cheese in my opinion, just given the vast difference in footprint, and only you can answer what will work for you. You can take comfort in the fact that both are absolutely brilliant vehicles so you won’t regret either choice.

Personally, I find the Compass half a size too small and the Fortuner half a size too big. Which is why I am keenly awaiting the Jeep Meridian next year. I am hoping it will get more monocoque convenience but at the right size, compared to the Fortuner. I also checked out the Fortuner since a friend gave a down payment for the 4x4 Legender recently and I am warming up to the vehicle off late. Link below is the T BHP thread on the Jeep Meridian / Commander.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...er-suv-16.html

Do you think you can wait for the Meridian that’s launching next year? Seems to be the perfect middle path between the Compass and Fortuner for you.
———————

EDIT:
If I “had to” buy today and “had to” choose only between the above two, I’d honestly struggle to choose between these two - my choice would depend on what’s the second car that would complement it. If I picked the Fortuner, I’d want the second car to be a sub 25 lakh sedan / EV. If I picked the Compass, I’d want the second car to be a Uber comfy Camry or similar to be chauffeured around in.

Last edited by Axe77 : 10th October 2021 at 19:20.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 19:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Jeep Compass 4x4 vs Toyota Fortuner Legender 4x4 | EDIT: Getting the Compass Model S

I will choose the Legender anyday if I have the budget. That said, in the recent times, Jeep has one advantage that I see. As far as I know, the 2.0 MJD does not have any documented instances of DPF issues in the forum.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 10th October 2021 at 19:42.
padmrajravi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 19:57   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudhir View Post
May be driving to remote jungle locations with bad roads which both will easily take.
Assuming you do would do it on a regular basis as part of your profession - I would suggest the Fortuner. The rugged nature of a ladder frame vehicle would be the primary differentiator between these two! Another big differentiator when doing bad roads - would be those 55 profile 18-inch tyres on the Compass.

I absolutely love the new facelifted Jeep Compass, but IMHO - it is designed for the city with the occasional rough use!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 21:36   #5
BHPian

I think Fortuner because of remote places you may have to go and Toyota have better service network compared to Jeep
thalavoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 21:52   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

For my needs - both meets the requirement. I will not be doing any serious off roading. May be driving to remote jungle locations with bad roads which both will easily take.

Rgds,
Sudhir Shivaram
Looking at your requirement and usage, have you considered V-Cross? It can be a fantastic vehicle for your use case. And the kind of modification options that it offers, there is no limit to it. Just my opinion.
chethan.ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 21:56   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
Looking at your requirement and usage, have you considered V-Cross? It can be a fantastic vehicle for your use case. And the kind of modification options that it offers, there is no limit to it. Just my opinion.
Na, I did check it. But I will not be doing any serious jungle safaris with this or serious off-roading. Mainly will be driving around Karnataka and sometimes beyond but last stretch wherever I go will be rough terrain. That's pretty much it.
vasudhir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 09:24   #8
BHPian

I have the 2017 Toyota Fortuner. Some city driving, lot of road trips, no off roading as such. Me and my wife are usually the only ones on the road trip. Max, we travel with 4 people during a road trip in some cases with tons of luggage.

I love the Fortuner but the recent diesel price hike makes me want a Compass for the better fuel consumption.
eRajesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 11:19   #9
BHPian

I would say that instead of the Legender, you should go for the standard Fortuner with 4x4. The Compass fits your needs, but since you mentioned that you will go to remote places, I would trust Toyota reliability and great service coverage over Jeep's service and reliability. Also, since you had used a Safari before, I think it is better if you get a car of similar size, Fortuner fits your bill for that as the Compass will feel smaller. The more powerful engine is also an advantage that Toyota has.

You could not go wrong with both your choices, I suggest the Fortuner since it better suits your needs. I would say that unless you really like the styling and added features (Subject to personal preference, I did not find it much appealing, but certainly you may) of the Legender, you should go for the normal 4x4 Fortuner, which saves on money and covers all your needs too.

Last edited by TorqueMonster : 11th October 2021 at 11:25.
TorqueMonster is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 14:50   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Need to decide between the Compass 4x4 Model-S and the Fortuner Legender 4x4. I have done a test drive of both (long drive, break testing at high speed, top speed, highway, city roads etc)
Jeep compass is an absolutely awesome choice, driveability, fun element is not paralled by other cars in the segment

Btw, are you into photography?

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th October 2021 at 17:34.
Gizmokid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 15:01   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmokid View Post
Jeep compass is an absolutely awesome choice, driveability, fun element is not paralled by other cars in the segment

Btw, are you into photography?
Yes, I am inclined towards Jeep. Lets see. And yes I am a wildlife photographer.

Rgds,
Sudhir
vasudhir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 15:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I am inclined towards Jeep. Lets see. And yes I am a wildlife photographer.

Rgds,
Sudhir
You are THE SUDHIR SHIVARAM

Jeep Compass techno green will be an awesome companion for you
Gizmokid is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 15:43   #13
BHPian

If you are fine with two vehicles, I would suggest a combination of Compass & Thar.
Cost will be same as the Legender.

Compass - For beautiful interiors, drivability, compact size.

Thar - For bad roads, pleasure drives & off roading.
karan0009 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 15:50   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Rgds,
Sudhir
Is this an immediate requirement or is there some flexibility on purchase window?

Any thoughts on the Jeep Commander (Meridian) - as an option that gives the Jeep finesse with that little bit of extra space? I'm asking partly to validate my own thought process too since I will also be in a similar market some time next year.

Thanks.
Old 11th October 2021, 15:55   #15
anb
BHPian

Jeep Compass has better ride quality and will be much better to drive. If you want a seven seater and off road capability is important buy Fortuner. Else Jeep Compass will be a better option.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks