Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2021, 12:20   #1
BHPian

The best family SUV for 80-lakh rupees?

Hey Bhpians,

As a family of four we have been using a Mahindra Scorpio 2.2 Mhawk Vlx for the past 13 years as our primary family car (now used by me as a daily), but over the past 1-2 years the car has been restricted too city use only due to its age and safety reasons. Our second car is a 5 year old Audi A4 2.0 TDI Premium Plus which has been doing the highway duty for the 1-2 years and the car has been great on the highway, really comfortable, responsive and moreover a really safe place to be in. But on trips 500km> (which we do at least thrice a year) my mum and 12 year old sister do feel the need of extra in legroom and headroom in the rear.

We've been searching for a good diesel SUV to takeover the duties of the Scorpio both as a daily driver for my father and a great family car

Daily running : 50-60kms
Highway running : 3 x 500km>, monthly Bangalore-Chennai runs only for my father and me and quarterly Bangalore-Hyderabad runs for my father and me.

Budget : 80 lakhs On Road Bangalore

Options considered:

- Volvo XC60 - Meets all of our criteria , and the family found the
interior fit and finish the best of the 4 cars considered

- Mercedes Benz GLC 220d - Have to say the merc is the comfiest
and most reliable of the lot, but its a model that is due for update soon
and the interior and does look dated in comparison to modern mercedes'
interiors

- BMW X3 - I really liked the X3, test drove it at navnit motors, but
the family found the car a tad uncomfortable in comparison to the Volvo
and GLC Diesel

- Land Rover Discovery Sport - This car was the last car we it was
out of our budget, the interiors I felt was dull and also since these cars will
be kept in the family for well over 10 years and a lot of miles, the Disco
didn't meet the reliability criteria

While checking out the GLC we also happened to test drive the GLE 300d LWB, and it was such a fantastic car in terms of the engine and performance, interior fit and finish and most importantly the rear seat with the extra leg room was a real treat for my sister and my mum. But the car is priced at 1cr on road bangalore, which is way over our budget.

My questions to the experts:
- Volvo XC60 or the Mercedes GLC 220d
or
- Wait for another 6-8 months and buy the GLE 300D next year

Your expert opinions would be really helpful !!
Cliff9091 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 13:27   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The best family SUV for 80-lakh rupees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff9091 View Post
Our second car is a 5 year old Audi A4 2.0 TDI Premium Plus which has been doing the highway duty for the 1-2 years and the car has been great on the highway, really comfortable, responsive and moreover a really safe place to be in. But on trips 500km> (which we do at least thrice a year) my mum and 12 year old sister do feel the need of extra in legroom and headroom in the rear.
If your reference is A4, then the incremental benefit comes at a substantial cost. I would consider XC60 and GLC to be more or less of same category vehicle as A4 when it comes to comfort and driving dynamics. Being newer, they will certainly offer better wow factor. Also, sedans tend to offer the comfort of SUVs from a segment higher.

If you are spending this kind of money and looking to upgrade from A4, you might as well go the full distance and buy the next segment. Rear seat comfort doesn't come cheap. Do checkout Camry and Lexus ES as well just to get a sense of comparison.
androdev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 13:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

I am not urging you to buy something else if your heart is set on whatever you have chosen, but please at least check out the Volvo V90 Cross Country there is no classier family stead in the country at the moment I feel
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 14:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I am not urging you to buy something else if your heart is set on whatever you have chosen, but please at least check out the Volvo V90 Cross Country there is no classier family stead in the country at the moment I feel
I thought Volvo has already pulled plug on this. You can get a used one though.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 20:06   #5
BHPian

My pick of the lot would be the GLC. Mercedes reliability, handsome looks and arguably the most comfortable of the lot. With the update coming you could probably get some discounts on the outgoing model (if Mercedes new policy is still allowing for negotiation). Mercedes also has a vastly superior service network and possibly availability of parts than Volvo.
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 20:09   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Not going to be much of a help in suggesting.

But 6 months is nothing if you are are planning 10+ years of ownership.

Please wait and go for the GLE300D.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 20:32   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I won’t suggest XC60 or GLC for anyone who uses an A4 as a daily driver. As rightly mentioned above, it is an incremental upgrade at best for double the cost. If you are smitten by Mercedes and are open to spending, go all the way and get the GLE. Or the BMW X5, arguably a more reliable and powerful option.

But considering you are essentially replacing the Scorpio, may I suggest you consider the Kia Carnival. It is a solid and reliable car and is a very comfortable highway mile muncher. Excellent family car.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 12th October 2021 at 20:35.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 14:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wait for 6 months and get the GLE. For long term ownership, it's always advisable to go for something that will satisfy your needs and wants. Period.

You'll be disappointed with the GLC once you start using the boot, something you won't be able to predict for the next 10 years.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 15:33   #9
BHPian

GLE is probably the only car in this list which I’d keep for 10 years or longer. I’d say wait for another 6 months and get the GLE. You’ll also get some discounts on it and the interior is an amazing place to be in.

The GLC is a pretty handsome car but 80 lakhs on road for a GLC is not justified according to me. Merc’s interiors always take everything up by a notch but for what its worth, you’re better off with the XC60. The XC60 is the best of both worlds, driving and luxury.

Though for 10 years of ownership, its better to wait another 6 months and then buy something which you’ll be happy to own for the long run.

Wish you the best for your car shopping!
Speedfreak77
speedfreak77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 10:15   #10
BHPian

Re: The best family SUV for 80-lakh rupees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
If your reference is A4, then the incremental benefit comes at a substantial cost. I would consider XC60 and GLC to be more or less of same category vehicle as A4 when it comes to comfort and driving dynamics. Being newer, they will certainly offer better wow factor. Also, sedans tend to offer the comfort of SUVs from a segment higher.

If you are spending this kind of money and looking to upgrade from A4, you might as well go the full distance and buy the next segment. Rear seat comfort doesn't come cheap. Do checkout Camry and Lexus ES as well just to get a sense of comparison.
@androdev thank you so much for your inputs, after a lot of consideration we've decided to wait for 6-8 months and go ahead with the Mercedes GLE 300D, its a 20L difference between the GLC 220d and GLE 300d (OTR Bangalore) and is definitely worth an upgrade from the A4. Hopefully in the coming months the semiconductor shortage is resolved and the 300d becomes a sub 1 crore SUV like it used to be. I also happened to check out the BMW 630d LCI , rear seat comfort was on par with the Mercedes GLE, but the low ride height was a no-go with my dad. Thank you once again !!
Cliff9091 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks