MG Hector Plus 22 3.53%
Other (please specify in your post) 14 2.24%
Voters: 624. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2021, 13:34   #76

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
To seat 5 tall and well built people, one can forget the Creta etc. Crysta comes closest to your requirement. In many ways, Harrier too.
Just as I was typing this reply, my uncle sneakily went out and drove his friends Hector and Crysta around the outskirts of Bangalore

He told me he drove both for 15-20km on both city traffic and highway (he lives on the outskirts).

He found the Hector to be a bit too big and bouncy for his liking, especially on the highway. Also he told me that he found taking off his eyes off the road even for mundane tasks like adjusting the air-con, and that freaks him out. So its consideration is almost zero at the moment, saved only by its plush city ride.

He did have some praise for the Innova, as its a car he wanted to own since he was an engineering grad(that's when the first gen was launched). He liked the tall seating position and the effortless nature of the engine. However, he found the hydraulic steering a bit too heavy for his liking(even i'm clueless) and after considering the competition, he feels it isn't as VFM as it was back in the day. Also his family members didn't like its MUV shape and compared it to a whale. He was still kinda sad, considering it was his dream car back in the day, but in the end, he has pushed it down the chart.

Surprisingly, he took me along for a test drive of the Harrier. He seemed to struggle a bit to find a comfortable driving position, due to the silver inserts hitting his leg. However once he was comfortable and found an open road, it was all smiles. Meanwhile I was having a blast as well at the back(I'm 6'2" and yet I had plenty of space). He also liked the steering of the Harrier, as it was really manageable in city traffic. He said that it almost masks itself as an EPS and not a hydraulic unit. He also found the highway manners to be great, pulling up to 140km/h in no time(it was an open highway with no traffic). Boot space and overall comfort impressed him as well. And being a Tata, he was confident about its safety, indicated by its safe highway manners.

Now the dilemma is that he is so smitten by the Harrier's charm that he is ready to book it within a week. Without considering the competition, I think he's rushing his decision. I will show him the forum. Until then please drop your valuable suggestions and opinions.

Thanks.
Old 18th November 2021, 17:58   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronix View Post
He found the Hector to be a bit too big and bouncy for his liking, especially on the highway. Also he told me that he found taking off his eyes off the road even for mundane tasks like adjusting the air-con, and that freaks him out
He seemed to struggle a bit to find a comfortable driving position, due to the silver inserts hitting his leg.
I think he's rushing his decision. I will show him the forum. Until then please drop your valuable suggestions and opinions.
Thanks.
Did your uncle try a diesel or petrol Hector?

I intend to put up further details of my observations and experiences in a thread I intend to start/resume, which would include others as well. Till then:

Harrier vs Hector
Similar size.
Hector: NVH, Ergonomics, Cabin comfort, refinement
Harrier: Driving feel/control at high speeds, chassis+suspension/dynamics

For some, the mentioned knee issue with the Harrier is a big issue. I value the comfort of the seat I sit on. Lucky your uncle managed a comfortable sitting position.

I do find touch based controls an absolute pain, and when touchscreens were all the rage, went in for a regular double din Alpine on my Optra for easy controls and better quality, so I understand your uncle. The slight advantage with Hector is that you can simply say "Hey MG, mujhe thand lag rahi hai" and it will adjust the AC. Given a choice, I too would prefer physical controls than have to talk to a bot.

Innova Crysta adds value by their engineering and reliability than by bling-features. I do agree that it's MPV looks aren't appealing, yet it makes a compelling case for someone after practicality in ownership.

Please suggest your uncle to go through ownership and servicevexperiences on TBhp to get an idea of how niggle free a car may be.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 19:26   #78

Quote:
Did your uncle try a diesel or petrol Hector?

Innova Crysta adds value by their engineering and reliability than by bling-features. I do agree that it's MPV looks aren't appealing, yet it makes a compelling case for someone after practicality in ownership.

Please suggest your uncle to go through ownership and servicevexperiences on TBhp to get an idea of how niggle free a car may be.
He tried the diesel Hector. He believes that all big cars(SUV's in particular) must be driven in their diesel avatar, as it is the best fuel to complement its size(his opinion).

He is still not over the Crysta and has scheduled a TD next week. He would have done it tomorrow if not for a health emergency in the family. And if that weren't enough, he's asking me to take his side with the Crysta, even though he might have to settle only for the GX variant. He is aware that although he will skimp out on feature comforts, his major comfort would be excellent reliability and the "badi gaadi" feel

He did read the forum. He said that although the 700 is a great car with regards to its ride, handling and comfort, its still a Mahindra, the waiting period is almost laughable, the initial batches have a considerably high chance of defects, and since its heavily tech-laden, he's a bit apprehensive of the risk of having too many electric components(although i'm not sure if it holds true but we'll take a TD soon). And since he's already testing big SUV's, his preference for the sedans and crossovers is all but 0.

So the conclusion is: Smitten by the Harrier, but not yet over the Crysta.

And here's another plot twist: our family wanted to upgrade to the Nexon XZ+(S) from our 2005 MS Swift VXI, as its almost the perfect car for both Bangalore traffic and our annual Bangalore-Dharwad trip. He had taken a TD some while back and came back really impressed as it was a really good upgrade from our Swift.

However, one of my dad's colleagues persuaded him to take a look at the Harrier. And he's delighted, to say the least. Although it's obviously a bigger and better car in every dimension, its still a stretch of over 8-10 lakhs(with which we can get another Nexon). And also the dealer has offered a 2 week delivery with quite a heavy discount. So our car buying journey has taken yet another interesting turn. He can stretch the budget but realistically almost every Indian takes decisions by the head and not the heart.

Please comment your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks.
Old 21st November 2021, 03:03   #79
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 vs Tata Safari vs Toyota Innova Crysta vs others

For me it is Hector diesel all the way. In my last 6 months 12000+ Kms of ownership experience, 0 niggles, good quality interiors and no stress of getting stranded on road as car seems to be very well put together. Some key positives observed:-
1. Smooth cushioned ride in city and highways. Not much impact to passengers of sudden humps and bumps. It masks them well.
2. Entertainment unit keeps family happy whether it is sound quality of music or ease of use of voice commands.
3. 6 way seat ensures I have my perfect driving position.
4. Sitting position is high, gives good view of road ahead and bonnet.
5. Gem of the Fiat engine and gearbox. Puts big smile on face.
6. Powered tailgate. Yes its very useful specially with family.
7. Huge boot, trust me I have dropped luggage of 3 families to railway station in one shot for which they had hired separate tempo.
8. Big thumbs up to after sales service. For smallest topics, good attention and prompt responses. Experienced and quality SA’s. And yes at service center too, good number of women employed including SA’s.

Most heartening moment was when my parents loved the ride in it, Dad is 79 years now and he liked the cushioned, silent ride in its cabin.

For the price of Creta , Seltos one gets fully loaded next segment car in Hector, I think it’s strong quality contender among all the cars listed.
FiatDiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 11:53   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He tried the diesel Hector. He believes that all big cars(SUV's in particular) must be driven in their diesel avatar, as it is the best fuel to complement its size(his opinion).
I am of a similar view. Turbo petrols compensate to an extent, but with a significant hit on FE. The allowed life of diesel vs petrol has become another factor to consider.

Quote:
He did read the forum.
Reports suggest a relatively low number of issues in the Hector as compared to, say Harrier or Jeep.

Quote:
the initial batches have a considerably high chance of defects, and since its heavily tech-laden, he's a bit apprehensive of the risk of having too many electric components(although i'm not sure if it holds true but we'll take a TD soon).
I have similar concerns about a Mahindra or a Tata (or most others for that matter, though to a slightly lesser extent)

Quote:
And since he's already testing big SUV's, his preference for the sedans and crossovers is all but 0.
Though there is a nice feeling in an SUV, for a driving enthusiast, the low centre of gravity and what it allows is very appealing. If I did not have some back issues crop up, I would be focused on sedans.

Quote:
And also the dealer has offered a 2 week delivery with quite a heavy discount.
Is this for a Tata Harrier? Tempting in today's seller's market. If you're comfortable sharing discounts, please do (here or PM - thanks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatDiesel View Post
Most heartening moment was when my parents loved the ride in it, Dad is 79 years now and he liked the cushioned, silent ride in its cabin.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Much to like in the Hector, but not too sure of how it may be on the highway, especially on the rear bench. My test drives made it feel a bit bouncy at the rear, when driven at higher speeds. A somewhat unsettled feeling.

How has your experience of the rear bench been at highway speeds, especially while on bumps or swerving the vehicle? Did it feel comfortable and well controlled?
Old 22nd November 2021, 12:44   #81
Senior - BHPian

If I were to rank the choices, I'd go with :

1) Crysta : New engine technology & slightly higher displacement than others. 2 Airbags + Knee airbag. But it's only marginally better IMO, ie it's way too overhyped for what it offers - especially the interior plastic quality.

2) XUV7OO : Time tested 2.2L engine. 5 star Crash Safety. Good suspension/ride quality. Good interiors. TC automatic from Aisin, same supplier as Toyota AFAIK. Delivery timelines is a wet blanket. Fair reason to drop it off the list even.

3) Hector Plus Harrier/Safari : Good interiors. Good boot space. Appreciable effort by MG to keep after sales experiences smooth. Seemingly less so about TATA. Last row is really only for small 5-6 y.o. children. Harrier comes with a great AT. Both not crash tested. IMO Getting 3 stars is also OK, but NO crash test is absolutely unnecessary insecurity on the brand's part.

4) Alcazar : Drove my cousin's car recently. Very good interiors. Engine was not as underpowered as I thought it'd be, but since it's a very light car, just 2 more passengers would've skewed the scales against it. Good ride quality. Absolutely not crash safe. Extremely overhyped & overpriced. Franky comparable to Ertiga, but it's people's personal choice.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 22nd November 2021 at 12:47.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 17:35   #82

Quote:

Though there is a nice feeling in an SUV, for a driving enthusiast, the low centre of gravity and what it allows is very appealing. If I did not have some back issues crop up, I would be focused on sedans.

Is this for a Tata Harrier? Tempting in today's seller's market. If you're comfortable sharing discounts, please do (here or PM - thanks)
Although he is upgrading from a sedan and naturally a sedan would have been his choice, his priorities have shifted a bit from just having a fun and sleek car to a fun and sleek car capable of handling Bangalore's 'wonder-full' roads. And since sedans naturally have low GC, and having heard horror stories of his friends' sedans, he has shifted preference to crossovers and SUV's. And also, he's 6'1" so he's a bit worried of back issues which might crop up(touchwood) as you pointed out.
He said he bought the SX4 back in the day primarily for its ride and comparatively high GC, backed by Maruti's after-sales. Back then he was a fresh engineering grad with a hefty joining bonus, and he decided to splurge it all on this(I'm glad he didn't go with the Dzire diesel back then )

The dealer offered a 50k cash discount, 15k exchange bonus and 5k corporate discount. Although the dealer said it was a February '21 make.

My father felt this was a step too far, inspite of the 70k discount, and abandoned the idea of buying new.

However, as I was surfing the used market, I found a low mileage 2019 Harrier XZ, looked good from the photos and was offered at a fair price. So I showed him the advert and he seemed more interested. So if we do decide to go ahead with this, is there anything we need to be careful of, especially during the ownership phase, because this will be a massive jump from a hatchback to a true blue SUV. We had bought our Swift used so I would consider this deal to be a lateral upgrade (not exactly but satisfies the criteria of selling used buying used).

Please comment your opinions.

Thanks.
Tronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 17:41   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

However, as I was surfing the used market, I found a low mileage 2019 Harrier XZ,

Please comment your opinions.

Thanks.
A 2019 harrier would be the Beta test version. I would suggest stretching to get a new one. The 2019 model, especially at a "good" price, may just be the owner having had enough.

Have a close look at the entire service history, to start off. I may be completely off the mark with my cynicism.

Last edited by mayankk : 22nd November 2021 at 17:42.
mayankk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 17:48   #84
Senior - BHPian

I drive a Crysta. When it’s just me and my wife and son, they both want the captain seats behind. Such is the comfort.

For some reason, the safari isn’t captivating me. I’m still hung over with the older version and looks, something I owned years back. Alcazar just isn’t for me.

I still voted for the Crysta. 70k km in 3 years and it drives as good as day 1.

Xuv 700 looks so cool, lots of features and looks very promising, from the reviews that I read and the videos that I’ve seen. I have not had a chance to see that in person yet. Maybe, it’ll make me change my view. I do hope to get a test drive sometime soon.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 17:49   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The dealer offered a 50k cash discount, 15k exchange bonus and 5k corporate discount. Although the dealer said it was a February '21 make.
Thanks. Feb 2021 explains the discount.

Quote:
is there anything we need to be careful of, especially during the ownership phase, because this will be a massive jump from a hatchback to a true blue SUV.
There is a thread about purchasing used on Tbhp, which you might want to look up.

Regular upkeep as per service schedule would do good for any vehicle, but possibly more so for Tata. Over the years, we've owned some vehicles not particularly known for being niggle free, yet had a good experience, presumably due to authorized A$$ and a good relationship with the workshop-staff.

Cheers and all the best.

Last edited by Poitive : 22nd November 2021 at 17:51. Reason: Typo
Old 22nd November 2021, 20:18   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience. Much to like in the Hector, but not too sure of how it may be on the highway, especially on the rear bench. My test drives made it feel a bit bouncy at the rear, when driven at higher speeds. A somewhat unsettled feeling.

How has your experience of the rear bench been at highway speeds, especially while on bumps or swerving the vehicle? Did it feel comfortable and well controlled?
I have not experienced rear seat of Hector while driving as I am the primary driver of the car however my family has positive feedback. Infact my son with height 5’11” prefers rear seat all the time including highway runs. While driving high speeds as driver I never felt rear to be bouncy and on small speed breakers it glides through however sharp one’s we have to slow down. Note that during the highway runs our boot is loaded with bags/suitcases, so less chance of it being bouncy. I had my own few situations where we jumped over the big one’s too as they were not properly marked in white strips, during those times we did felt unsettled as I tried to slow down a little to minimise the impact and at the same time not to get rear ended by cars behind me. But I guess it will be same with all cars as it’s tough scenario to deal with.
During test drives at the time of purchase we found bench seat of Hector much better then captain seat of Hector Plus which we felt were small and not that comfortable.

No specific observation with High speed swerving w.r.t. rear but for high speed cornering, it’s suspension is not tuned for it. You will feel good body roll so better to adapt to safe speed while cornering.

Overall it’s a good long distance cruiser. I have driven it at triple digits with ease for long durations with family.

Hope this helps.
FiatDiesel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 21:23   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatDiesel View Post
I Hope this helps.
Thanks for this. It sure helps. The luggage and passenger weight might be the reason for the difference in experience.

I too had a very similar experience of the captain's seats.

Given the high centre of gravity and a soft suspension, I wasn't disappointed at it's cornering ability, but my expectations were rather low.
Old 22nd November 2021, 22:36   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
A 2019 harrier would be the Beta test version. I would suggest stretching to get a new one. The 2019 model, especially at a "good" price, may just be the owner having had enough.

Have a close look at the entire service history, to start off. I may be completely off the mark with my cynicism.
Well the dilemma is all about the price. The Nexon XZ+(S) petrol is close to 14L OR in Bangalore. The used Harrier with around 30k kilometres is 16L negotiable. His argument is that we're getting basically the same Harrier for about 8L off, which is a really high amount. And we're getting a higher segment car for an extra 2L which is very well equipped. But he really wants this car to be a brand new one as our Swift was bought used. We haven't finalised our decision yet but the used one is definitely on his mind.

And also on a side note, my uncle is going to take the TD of the Hector diesel again, after reading the overwhelmingly positive response in the forum.

Will keep you all posted on these two tales

Thanks.
Old 30th November 2021, 14:14   #89
BHPian

XUV700 AX5 diesel AT Vs Creta 1.4 DCT Turbo SX(O) petrol Vs MG ZS EV excite

Before all of you start with “What are you drinking?” question :-), I know this is one of the odd comparisons but I was actually going through this while I await delivery of XVU700 in December…2022.

Unlike earlier we now see car targeted at extremely wide price bracket, if you are not top-end only kind of person then you actually get options cut across the segments.

This particular bracket I am talking about is ~21.5 to 22.5 L (On Road), I arrived at these on-road prices after visiting car dealerships, I understand these might vary with your state but I hope all the contenders I listed will be in that same range.

Few Explanation -

1) Rating is more comparative, so if we say Creta is 10, then does not meant it’s perfect, it perfect out of 3.

2) Rating is variant specific (AX5 does not have ADAS).

3) For "safety" rating, while Creta has all the safety features, it is yet to get GNACP rating, but I am still giving them 30% benefit of doubt.

4) For "future" rating, I am worried about diesel because of ever changing policies, globally too diesel is slowly disappearing from market hence XUV scored less.

Name:  XUVvs.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  46.4 KB

In final result, I was surprised how close they stack up.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Aditya : 30th November 2021 at 18:06. Reason: Non forum characters
Old 30th November 2021, 15:02   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: XUV700 AX5 diesel AT Vs Creta 1.4 DCT Turbo SX(O) petrol Vs MG ZS EV excite

I like base models for the value the offer at a cut price.

I advise you not to cloud your judgement with too many data points but rather focus on Utility especially if it is the only car or what car excites you the most if it is multi car garage (with some exceptions). A car is not a refrigerator.

There is no point buying a future proof EV if you are planning to use your vehicle for long distance traveling in the present. You cannot wait for the car to finish its charging when you need to dash to the airport as an example.

Here is a snapshot of a similar case.

Mahindra XUV700 vs Tata Safari vs Toyota Innova Crysta vs others-venue-vs-seltos.jpg

I would opt for the Seltos, it is more usable on long highway trips, I really would not miss any of the missing features as I found out while driving a base model diesel, but on the other hand a Venue is more compact for city use as well as it offers lower running costs for whom it matters.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed