Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2021, 17:35   #1
BHPian

Looking for a comfortable 5-seater SUV/Crossover for 40-lakhs OTR

Hey Everyone !

I am stuck in a dilemma and no better place to solve that than on here. My last two purchases (320d, S80) have been through this medium and there isn't another one I trust more.

We are a family of 4 (all of us are below 5.6" )
In the next 3-4 months, I will be needing a 5 seater SUV/Crossover for my regular (weekly) trips from Ahmedabad-Bharuch. This will have to be chauffer driven.

We are also a family that loves our roadtrips (We havn't done anywhere near enough). Our first question to any vacation is if we can drive and reach the place. Keeping that in mind, we also want this car to be capable of the adventurous trips (occasionally). I have recently started studying the Leh-Ladakh routes as well, but I never driven off-road, though I have driven long distances.

Keeping the above in mind our priority is safety, A/T and good/comfortable rear seats (we are ok with lesser legroom due to our build).
I have been studying some options since months but I just can't find a car that fits all my criteria. We are looking at a budget of 40L OTR. Our current garage is a Vento (2011), Scorpio (2011), Octavia (2005!), 320D (2016) and S80 (2014). We will be replacing the Scorpio and Octavia with this car.

The cars I have considered are as follows with the main issues with them:
1). Jeep Compass 4*4, Diesel (AT) (overpriced, need some opinions on the rear seat comfort)
2). VW Tiguan 5-seater (Petrol, close to the Kodiaq which looks a bit more premium)
3). Skoda Kodiaq (Petrol, 7 seater, a size too big for those outstation trips?)
4). Mahindra XUV700 (7 seater, too expensive for a Mahindra)
5). Hyundai Tucson (too outdated considering the newer model sells in other countries)
6). BMW X1/Volvo XC40 (Rear seats, not sure about taking it for the adventurous trips, no AWD)

I am not sure about the rear seat comfort of the Compass and Tiguan. Another issue with the Compass and the XUV is the prices starting at 18/12 L and plonking almost double those amounts on the same car (different model). Though this is a mental block, I don't see it being an issue at all.
Considering year end discounts about to commence, I feel like this could be the right time to buy a car unless we finalize on the Kodiaq (launch January 2022).

The other option is to use the S80 as a highway cruiser and get a Compass for the outstation trips. Would love your thoughts on the safety and practicality of a Sedan on the Highways (like the Baroda expressway).

Would love you opinions. In a way I feel like I might have to end up buying two different cars since the use case is so different, but would really want to avoid that.

Edit: Please let me know if I have missed out on any details/requirements. Would be happy to answer any questions.

Last edited by kartavya : 16th October 2021 at 17:55.
kartavya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 17:50   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Looking for a comfortable 5-seater SUV/Crossover for 40-lakhs OTR

Think the choice set you have identified is the right one - the only other model you could consider is the Citroen C5. I would not look at the X3 or the Volvo given you already have their sedan equivalents - getting marginally higher ground clearance is not worth buying a new car.

If you want to buy something today, the only choices you have are the Jeep Compass, the Hyundai Tucson and the Citroen C5. The XUV wait periods are going to be way too long (unless you are going in for some kind of fix to bypass the queues), and who knows when exactly the Kodiaq and Tiguan will be launched

I think the Compass rightly belongs in one segment below the other cars in your comparison set but will likely be the best off roader of the lot. The Tucson is long in tooth but offers the best value equation while the C5 is an interesting product that may work well given the height of your family members.

I think the Tiguan and the Kodiaq will be much better than any of these, so perhaps you continue with your existing fleet until they are launched. And I don’t think driving a S80 on the Baroda Ahmedabad expressway will be any problem at all - seems like the perfect option given the imperfect set of alternatives you have access to.
Hayek is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 18:40   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post

In the next 3-4 months, I will be needing a 5 seater SUV/Crossover for my regular (weekly) trips from Ahmedabad-Bharuch. This will have to be chauffer driven.

We are also a family that loves our roadtrips (We havn't done anywhere near enough). Our first question to any vacation is if we can drive and reach the place. Keeping that in mind, we also want this car to be capable of the adventurous trips (occasionally). I have recently started studying the Leh-Ladakh routes as well, but I never driven off-road, though I have driven long distances.

The cars I have considered are as follows with the main issues with them:
1). Jeep Compass 4*4, Diesel (AT) (overpriced, need some opinions on the rear seat comfort)
2). VW Tiguan 5-seater (Petrol, close to the Kodiaq which looks a bit more premium)
3). Skoda Kodiaq (Petrol, 7 seater, a size too big for those outstation trips?)
4). Mahindra XUV700 (7 seater, too expensive for a Mahindra)
5). Hyundai Tucson (too outdated considering the newer model sells in other countries)
6). BMW X1/Volvo XC40 (Rear seats, not sure about taking it for the adventurous trips, no AWD)
My gating question is how important is Leh Ladakh grade touring important and realistic. Let me respond by assuming this car will be used for long driving holidays and regular highway trips that are not Leh Ladakh grade abuse.

For this, i think your best choices from currently available options are the
Compass, Tiguan, Tucson and the C5. If you decide to do a one off Leh trip, you can seriously considering hiring a specific purpose Thar or Fortuner from Chandigarh as I am assuming this will be more a one off than a regular feature.

Compass
It’s a hint too small for its price but otherwise a lovely, mature sophisticated machine. Comes at a premium but will be the toughest from the options I’ve listed. For four people the Compass is extremely comfortable with lovely rear seats

Tucson
Long in the tooth and on the verge of a makeover. But other than that it is a solid product, reliable for touring purpose and also available at a bargain currently.

Tiguan
Fresh facelift I’m told is literally just a month away. Sophisticated petrol engine and will be the perfect size for your family. Please do consider whether the ride quality is acceptable in the facelift. Some have mentioned it is a tad too harsh. It’s definitely not something I would choose for overly adventurous driving holidays where the terrain is too rough or offroadie.

Citroen C5
An excellent product but way overpriced and a certified dud. I’d any day pick the Compass over this although it is a hint bigger in size and has excellent ride quality. A new brand, failed model and limited dealer spread (which is presumably bleeding and unhappy at the moment). This is not a product I’d buy or honestly recommend but if that doesn’t bother you it definitely fits the bill standalone on the product front.

If you can wait:

The Jeep Commander (3 row Compass) and the Kodiaq should also be on your list. The Kodiaq might just make the cut on your timeline with rumoured launch slated for Jan 2022.

I would not consider the XUV / X1 / Volvo XC40 for the budget / end use / requirements that you have. They are either not premium enough for your use and budget (XUV) or don’t offer enough value for what you want to use it for (X1 / XC40).
Axe77 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 19:03   #4
BHPian

If Ladakh is an important criteria then you have to consider BS6 diesel DPF issues. I have read at-least 2 members who had these issues recently. One in a Tucson and other in Fortuner. DPF issues will happen in hilly areas where you dont have consistent speed and high altitude locations.

I just completed my Ladakh trip in BS4 Kodiaq diesel two weeks back and the car performed way better than i was expecting. My travelogue should be up in few days. Petrol will give less FE but as a car i would rate Kodiaq top of that list.
AnandB is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 19:06   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Think the choice set you have identified is the right one - the only other model you could consider is the Citroen C5.

I think the Tiguan and the Kodiaq will be much better than any of these, so perhaps you continue with your existing fleet until they are launched. And I don’t think driving a S80 on the Baroda Ahmedabad expressway will be any problem at all - seems like the perfect option given the imperfect set of alternatives you have access to.
I was eagerly waiting the C5, but the pricing was extremely off and I preferred the Compass at the same price. However I will have a look at the discounts in December to see what they are offering (I doubt much though).

The Kodiaq wasn't in consideration till recently (7 seater+petrol), but it just looks and seems to be a much more premium vehicle than anything on the list. Would you recommend having the S80 for the highway work trips and the Compass for the occasional long trips? I could use the Compass for the work trips during the rains when the roads are not in the best condition and might need a higher ground clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
My gating question is how important is Leh Ladakh grade touring important and realistic. Let me respond by assuming this car will be used for long driving holidays and regular highway trips that are not Leh Ladakh grade abuse.

If you decide to do a one off Leh trip, you can seriously considering hiring a specific purpose Thar or Fortuner from Chandigarh as I am assuming this will be more a one off than a regular feature.

Compass
For four people the Compass is extremely comfortable with lovely rear seats

Tiguan
Fresh facelift I’m told is literally just a month away. Sophisticated petrol engine and will be the perfect size for your family. Please do consider whether the ride quality is acceptable in the facelift. Some have mentioned it is a tad too harsh. It’s definitely not something I would choose for overly adventurous driving holidays where the terrain is too rough or offroadie.

The Kodiaq might just make the cut on your timeline with rumoured launch slated for Jan 2022.
The Leh-Ladakh kind of trips are definitely a one off occurrence (probably once a year or even less). We do have a Compass 4*2 manual in the family which I could use, but I would assume a 4*4 is needed. Mostly the outstation trips (except the work trips) would entail driving on roads in Rajasthan and around which are mostly on highways and through villages.

I was under the impression that the Tiguan rear seats are more comfortable than the Compass, while the ride to Tiguan being a bit firm. If not, the Compass does solve a lot of issues. The Kodiaq is a great proposition but the petrol and the size (narrow lanes/unknown roads) is a bit of a deterrent. Would you say the S80 would be a safer car on known highways (Ahmedabad-Dahej) than the Compass? I would definitely prefer the size of the Compass on unknown roads/trips and would use it for those trips.
kartavya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 19:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:
The Leh-Ladakh kind of trips are definitely a one off occurrence (probably once a year or even less). We do have a Compass 4*2 manual in the family which I could use, but I would assume a 4*4 is needed.
Actually you don't need 4x4 if you follow the main roads in Ladakh even if its rocky. It is when you divert from it as the shortcut looks enticing or its sandy and comfortable then you will have issues in a 4x2. There are many shortcuts and you see tyre tracks going around the road but its best to avoid it. We helped a Nexon stuck in sand get back on the road. He most likely burned his clutch as it smelled bad in engine bay and engine temp was high. Most of the taxis are Xylos, Innovas, Scorpios and locals have mostly Alto or similar small car and they travel in those daily.

Last edited by AnandB : 16th October 2021 at 19:14.
AnandB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 19:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Actually you don't need 4x4 if you follow the main roads in Ladakh even if its rocky. It is when you divert from it as the shortcut looks enticing or its sandy and comfortable then you will have issues in a 4x2. There are many shortcuts and you see tyre tracks going around the road but its best to avoid it. We helped a Nexon stuck in sand get back on the road. He most likely burned his clutch as it smelled bad in engine bay and engine temp was high. Most of the taxis are Xylos, Innovas, Scorpios and locals have mostly Alto or similar small car and they travel in those daily.
Yeah, I don't plan to try out the shortcuts for sure (atleast for now). At this point Kodiaq is definitely the most enticing option due to it definitely being a lot more luxurious while Compass is the most practical option. Tiguan seems to sit between both but if its ride remains stiff its an issue. I guess either I use the 4*2 Compass manual in the family (just realized permits might be an issue for someone elses car) or I take the Kodiaq/Compass 4*4 to such long trips (adventurous/highway outstation ones). The Kodiaq would definitely be the more comfortable car for the highway work trips (Ahmedabad-Dahej). If I buy the Compass, I can try out the S80 on the Ahmedabad-Dahej route and use the Compass if the roads are bad and for the outstation trips.
We had done a trip to Amristar sometime back and I do see an advantage of a relatively compact car on unknown roads and cities.

Last edited by kartavya : 16th October 2021 at 19:45.
Old 16th October 2021, 20:07   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the S80 should work perfectly well on highways - unless you are concerned more from a safety aspect in taking a luxury car to rural areas, for which I would not be qualified to give you any advice.

As the owner of a Tiguan Allspace whose dimensions are identical to the Kodiaq, I can assure you that the car is not too large to take into narrow streets. The Jeep is of course one foot shorter, and so parking may be easier, but it’s width is only 60 mm (2.5 inches) less than that of the Kodiaq, which is negligible from a narrow lane perspective. But yes, I would not take my Tiguan or X3 to Ladakh, if I ever attempted a self drive trip, I would likely rent a Fortuner automatic from Chandigarh.

For most other places, any of these pseudo SUVs should be fine.
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 21:25   #9
BHPian

Compass and C5 are both over priced. They should both be priced under 30l on-road, IMO. And Compass is strictly a 4 seater. 4 + driver will be uncomfortable.

I'd suggest waiting for Tiguan, which being a CKD should hopefully be priced reasonably. At least in the photos, it looks premium, has good safety features and also comes with 4motion.
neelkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 22:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would advise having a relook at the Tucson.
That 2.0 Diesel + 8 Speed AT combination is just brilliant.

It may lack 1-2 features like 10inch screen, Digital IP etc., but the interior materials, and the engine gearbox combo more than make up for these misses.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 06:17   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Leh-Ladakh kind of trips are definitely a one off occurrence (probably once a year or even less).
I am sure your 4x2 Compass can handle this as well. Like I mentioned renting an automatic Fortuner / Thar / Isuzu etc from Chandigarh is also an option for such a trip.

Quote:
Mostly the outstation trips (except the work trips) would entail driving on roads in Rajasthan and around which are mostly on highways and through villages.
Would you say the S80 would be a safer car on known highways (Ahmedabad-Dahej) than the Compass? I would definitely prefer the size of the Compass on unknown roads/trips and would use it for those trips.
Your points above reminded me of the post below which I read on the Mumbai - Udaipur roads thread. Not that this can’t happen in any vehicle but if this is possible in Rajasthan and you tend to travel to interiors, you might be better off doing it in a less “obviously” expensive vehicle like a Jeep over a Volvo. Your question on safety is probably from vehicle safety & build perhaps but just pointing this aspect out as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala59 View Post
Hi BHPians,

I would like to share a terrible incident that I and my friends experienced while going from Mumbai to Udaipur by road.
Quote:
I was under the impression that the Tiguan rear seats are more comfortable than the Compass, while the ride to Tiguan being a bit firm.
That is my understanding too.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 11:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
I would advise having a relook at the Tucson.
That 2.0 Diesel + 8 Speed AT combination is just brilliant.

It may lack 1-2 features like 10inch screen, Digital IP etc., but the interior materials, and the engine gearbox combo more than make up for these misses.
To be honest, it does seem the perfect car but we tend to keep cars for 10 years and the new model is such a huge update that we can't get ourselves to consider it as a viable alternative.
We are ok with missing out on some features but the interiors look very bland compared to the updated one on Compass and Kodiaq.
Old 17th October 2021, 11:53   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelkumar View Post
Compass and C5 are both over priced. They should both be priced under 30l on-road, IMO. And Compass is strictly a 4 seater. 4 + driver will be uncomfortable.

I'd suggest waiting for Tiguan, which being a CKD should hopefully be priced reasonably. At least in the photos, it looks premium, has good safety features and also comes with 4motion.
We won't be 5 in a car at any point. Love self driving ourselves for trips !
Tiguan, Kodiaq and Compass seems to be the options for now. Each for different reasons. Tiguan is a decent middle ground between the other two, issue being the petrol engine (which I will factor into the cost).
kartavya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 18:14   #14
BHPian

The only risk in buying Citron C5 is that number of vehicles sold may not warrant spare support for the long term. Given that it is a CBU, the MOQs for spare will not make any economic value for Stellantis Group and we may end up paying for their inefficiencies. Stellantis can seize a golden opportunity in buying out Ford's dealership which would give them an immediate edge to their brands (Citron and Jeep). But dont think its happening as most of the dealerships are closing down or moving to M&M individually as i understand
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 19:20   #15
BHPian

Quote:
To be honest, it does seem the perfect car but we tend to keep cars for 10 years and the new model is such a huge update that we can't get ourselves to consider it as a viable alternative.
We are ok with missing out on some features but the interiors look very bland compared to the updated one on Compass and Kodiaq.
I chose Tucson for the same reason you rejected. Since I am going to keep it for 10 years I went for a manufacturer who has wide service coverage and not for interiors which will be outdated in a year or two anyways
thalavoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed