Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2021, 23:57   #1
BHPian

Mahindra XUV300: Should I go for the Option Pack or not?

Hi everyone,

First of all, thank you all for sharing your knowledge/experience on this forum. Without this forum and the contributions everyone has made, car buying would have been a very difficult process. So, thank you.

I am in the market to get a safe, spacious 4 wheeler that would be within 15 lakhs. I think I have narrowed down my choices but I need just a little help get through that final dilemma.

The car would be mostly for city ride and for occasional drive to nearby tourist places (not really off-road) and fewer than 300 km round trip.

Need:
  • Upgrading from an i10
  • Prefer the sub-compact since I have always wanted a bigger vehicle. I had a sedan for some time (Accord) and though it is a great car, it doesn't have that height.
  • Prefer Petrol, Manual - all are AMTs in this section, as listed by other members, and based on my research, not really good. My usage is about 10-12k per year, and that kills the economic benefit with Diesel.
  • Researched Venue, Nexon, XUV300 and Toyota UC/Brezza.
  • Test Driven Venue, Nexon, XUV300 and Toyota UC
Test Drive experience: I followed some of the advices from the TD guide on this forum, and it was very very helpful. This is more for the benefit of other readers who are in the buying phase
  • Nexon
    Pros- Driving was good. Pricing is the best in segment. Gets Diamond cut alloy wheels(that I like) for all higher models
    Cons - the back didnt feel spacious enough compared to Venue and XUV. Also for a 5'10" guy like me, the head was almost touching the roof if you sit in the middle. and my brother is 6'2". primarily because of the rear design. handling was not great at low speeds (though highway was smooth)
  • XUV300
    Pros- Driving is great. smooth handling both on low and high speeds. Back is very spacious. Boot space is less, but didn't feel like the boot space was bad if a family of 4 want to do a few days getaway drive.
    Cons - Price +2L compared to Nexon. Diamond cut only on the W8(O) trim
  • Venue
    Pros- can't think of anything specific that stood out. overall sorta fine in all aspects. back space was fine.
    Cons - The handling wasn't as smooth as I expected.
So given this experience, I am now bent more towards XUV300 than the Venue or Nexon, even though prior to the Test Drives, Nexon was my top choice.

The dilemma I have is related to the options/features between the top 2 trims vs the price charged. OTR for W8(O) is 1.5L more than W8. Features that we get for that additional spend
  • Diamond cut alloys - that is a big draw for me. The showroom says the W8 wheels cannot be switched either pre-delivery or at showroom. So, if I want diamond cut, I will still have to keep the silver. Though realistically, I could sell off the silvers and buy DC and that would cost me approx 20k for the 4 wheels(new DC - sell price of Silver)
    The big question is what are my options w.r.t selling the Silver and getting new DC? I will check stores but are there reliable online sellers? how do I figure out if a seller is selling genuine parts, or even what brands to look for, if there is any brand name? has anyone done this?
  • Front parking sensors - I think it's good to have, and I am guessing I can get it installed at the showroom as an extra. can consider aftermarket if this is not going to hamper warranty
  • +5 airbags - this is good to have, but looking at the NCAP crash testing videos, does not seem like a must have. If you think otherwise, and have some referral links/docs, please do share
  • leather seats and tpms - same here. can get aftermarket. Though tpms is going to be a compromise since I can only get the bluetooth ones that some of the members have mentioned about, and it is not an integrated one
  • 2nd row seat belt reminder, bluesense, autodim - all nice to have
If you guys think I am missing something obvious here and likely making a bad call, then please do let me know.

I am in Bhubaneswar, Odisha and the SAs here gave me initial quote as below. In the initial conversations, no one is budging on price, citing high volume (which is sort of true). But given that this almost year end, do any of you know if there could be additional offers during Nov/Dec? I am guessing, if I book now, I am not going to get future offers. I am not in a hurry, so maybe I should wait till Dec 2 to find out? gives a little bit of time for the sales guys to hopefully give me a better offer

Quote received for W8 Petrol MT (Oct 30)
Ex show - 10,64,049
TCS - 10,640
Insurance - 42,076 (outside is 25k)
Incidental charges - 4,720 (don't know if it is for all Mahindra dealers)
Registration - 1,10,573
OTR - 12,26,037

I would really appreciate any inputs you can provide to help me make a thought through decision.
asitmonty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 11:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV300: Should I go for the Option Pack or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitmonty View Post
Features that we get for that additional spend
Didn't you forget the sunroof ?

IMO the only thing important are the airbags, 6 in total, they removed one airbag and the rear center seatbelt is downgraded to a lap belt, check our related threads.

Now its your call on the model and IMO if you have the money get the W8(O) else the W8 is quite competent.

A friend wanted the airbags(it was 7 then) and diamond cut alloys but not the sunroof. Neither could he stretch the budget anymore nor did it make sense to spend 1.5 lakhs on it so got the W8 and is quite happy.

IMO the alloys are same in size and wouldn't matter when you're driving. Also see how the color combination looks with the available body colours and alloys.
I have seen a white W8 and it looks good and assuming the Silver would match as well.

No idea on the aftermarkets so will skip that.
Ask them to match the insurance quote at the very least and pay attention to the IDV.

But good choice on the car

Last edited by shancz : 31st October 2021 at 11:34. Reason: ocl cc
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 15:00   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Didn't you forget the sunroof ?
Ask them to match the insurance quote at the very least and pay attention to the IDV.

But good choice on the car
I checked out the colours, and likely would pick the Red.
And you are right, I did forgot the sunroof. that's a nice to have too.

I don't mind the extra 1.5L, but if I am spending money, I sure want it to be worth that amount. Else, I am better of taking a vacation to Europe instead of spending 1.5L on the upgrade.

The diamond cuts are sort of sexy looking. they sure wouldn't matter when I am driving, but so would everything else on the exterior - colour, body shape, style - but we do care about all of those. show off maybe or feel good factor.

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sheel : 31st October 2021 at 16:32. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 31st October 2021, 17:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't mind the extra 1.5L,

but we do care about all of those. show off maybe or feel good factor.
Then you already have your answer
Enjoy the drives.
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 18:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
[*]Nexon
Pros- Driving was good. Pricing is the best in segment. Gets Diamond cut alloy wheels(that I like) for all higher models
Cons - the back didnt feel spacious enough compared to Venue and XUV. Also for a 5'10" guy like me, the head was almost touching the roof if you sit in the middle. and my brother is 6'2". primarily because of the rear design. handling was not great at low speeds (though highway was smooth)
While it seems you have already made up your mind, the bold bit seems a bit contradictory to what I have observed.

Nexon and XUV have best in class rear room, and their 1800mm+ width is evident. Venue is nowhere close. Could it be that it felt cramped that way due to dark interior upholstery?
BTW, XUV300 W8(O) comes only with white upholstery, and due to side/curtain airbags, you cannot put seat covers. Maintaining this in the Indian climate and conditions is a nightmare.

Rear seat headroom is somewhat true, but liveable from experience. Front/Driver seat is height adjustable and it should not be a problem.
SchrödingersCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 19:52   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrödingersCar View Post
While it seems you have already made up your mind, the bold bit seems a bit contradictory to what I have observed.

Nexon and XUV have best in class rear room, and their 1800mm+ width is evident. Venue is nowhere close. Could it be that it felt cramped that way due to dark interior upholstery?
Well, that's about it. I haven't made up my mind yet. I was initially budgeting for Nexon, just because I have some other things going and didn't want to spend too much for another 3 years.

But having already moved from 11L for Nexon to 12.8 (possibly 13.8) OTR with the XUV, I wonder if I should just bump up my budget another 2L and get the Creta MT instead. That's sort of towards the maximum I am willing to invest in a car for the next 3 years, or else would have picked up a DCT. My wife definitely is in favor of the Creta.

So, in short, if I have to pick the W8(O), I might even switch gears and get the Creta. Have to go look and read the Creta forums now.
Old 31st October 2021, 21:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
•+5 airbags - this is good to have, but looking at the NCAP crash testing videos, does not seem like a must have. If you think otherwise, and have some referral links/docs, please do share
I'm sorry, I cannot help you with the rest, and I don't really have any references, but I can tell you whatever little I know about the importance of side and curtain airbags (and Electronic Stability Control that appears to be fitted only to the W8(O) trim level, which you seem to have missed).

The current side impact test used by Global NCAP is a relatively simple test, both in test configuration and assessment. It is simply a requirement for five stars for adult occupant protection that the car passes the UN ECE's Regulation 95 test - the bare minimum side impact regulation that a car must pass for a car to be homologated for sale in the EU. Global NCAP did say that the XUV300 had the best side impact performance they had seen at the time (in the description of the test video uploaded to YouTube), which indicates that the XUV300 might score reasonably well even if scored out of 16.00 with upper performance limits for body regions (as will be done starting next year) in the same test configuration, even without side airbags. It is possible, as has been observed for multiple Latin American cars with the same test configuration and assessment in the past.

The point is, the side impact test used by Global NCAP is still among the easiest there is, at least that I know of. It uses a 50km/h speed and a 950kg barrier (with a flat face), which is significantly less stringent than that used by many other NCAPs. It's still not a bad test, and does guarantee a minimum regulatory level of side impact protection, but side torso airbags could be of great help at reducing injury in more severe real-world crashes.

The more important part is that the test barrier is low and represents a perpendicular side crash with another small car. In most crashes with a tall SUV, or a tall object like a roadside pole or a tree, head-protecting curtain airbags (or combination torso-head airbags mounted in the seats) are very important for reducing severe head trauma and life-threatening brain injury resulting from the head making direct contact with the struck object. NCAPs normally assess the effectiveness of these systems using a lateral pole test - which they allow the manufacturer to sponsor only if side head protection equipment is fitted. Granted, the effectiveness of the XUV300's optional side head protection system has not been independently assessed yet, but without it it is very hard if not impossible to reduce life-threatening injuries in even relatively low-speed side impact crashes with a tall object. Here's a rather juvenile video uploaded by Global NCAP's partner programme, the Australasian NCAP (ANCAP), that qualitatively explains the importance of head-protecting curtain airbags.

And here's a 6-second clip from a test visually showing the difference, though I cannot find the injury measures for this test anywhere.

Another important safety system that the model's W8(O) trim level is equipped with, that the W8 trim level misses out on, at least based on what I could find, is ESC(Electronic Stability Control), the performance of which has been verified as compliant with the regulatory UN ECE GTR8 robotised sine-dwell test - an important factor that led to the XUV300 winning Global NCAP's coveted Safer Choice Award. This is a potentially life-saving system that has been known to greatly reduce the risk of crashes, primarily those resulting from the sudden steering manoeuvres associated with avoiding an obstacle like a boulder or a cow or buffalo* running out into the road. You can find the GTR8 test video for the XUV300's optional Electronic Stability Control system here (along with its GTR9 pedestrian protection test video):

The one safety system that the XUV300 W8(O trim level is equipped with (now for the automated gearbox-variants only (Scoop: Mahindra silently removes driver knee airbag from XUV300 W8(O))), that has not shown to be of great importance is the driver's knee airbag. Here's an article by the IIHS that could be an interesting read.

To conclude, the standard-specification XUV300 offers a generally high level of safety performance in Global NCAP tests that is better than most cars tested so far, but if you're looking for a car that offers a level of safety that is closer to that of cars sold in developed markets, I would highly recommend choosing the car with the Option Pack if you are willing to.

*the usual example used for ESC tests is the moose in Scandinavian countries but for India I have used what I think is a more suitable example, although I believe they do not run out into the road in the same manner moose do. I have no statistical data to prove that the example I have used is suitable.

Last edited by ron178 : 31st October 2021 at 22:00. Reason: Added link to article about knee airbags
ron178 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 09:49   #8
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV300: Should I go for the Option Pack or not?

Thank you for taking the time to write down this detailed post. There were a lot of good information that took me some time to go through and analyze, and I think most of those were spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
In most crashes with a tall SUV, or a tall object like a roadside pole or a tree, head-protecting curtain airbags (or combination torso-head airbags mounted in the seats) are very important for reducing severe head trauma and life-threatening brain injury resulting from the head making direct contact with the struck object.

...And here's a 6-second clip from a test visually showing the difference, though I cannot find the injury measures for this test anywhere.
There is a study from IIHS https://www.iihs.org/topics/bibliography/ref/1858 , though a bit old (2007). It is based from US data which would probably only apply to highway driving, since city driving is slower in India.

Excerpt from the study:
"Results: Car driver death risk in driver-side crashes was reduced by 37 percent for head protecting airbags and 26 percent for torso-only side airbags. Car driver death risk was reduced for older and younger drivers, males and females, and drivers of small and midsize cars, and when the striking vehicle was an SUV/pickup or a car/minivan. Death risk for drivers of SUVs was reduced by 52 percent with head protecting side airbags and by 30 percent with torso-only airbags"

Quote:
ESC is a potentially life-saving system that has been known to greatly reduce the risk of crashes, primarily those resulting from the sudden steering manoeuvres associated with avoiding an obstacle like a boulder or a cow or buffalo* running out into the road.
I didn't know fully about ESC before, and going through the video you posted clearly shows the benefit. we have had instances of dogs suddenly running onto the road (both city and highway) and sometimes our driver gets too confident and tries to swerve sideways if it's an empty road. We may or may not need ESC ever, but it is better to have that than not.

Quote:
The one safety system that the XUV300 W8(O trim level is equipped with (now for the automated gearbox-variants only (Scoop: Mahindra silently removes driver knee airbag from XUV300 W8(O))), that has not shown to be of great importance is the driver's knee airbag. Here's an article by the IIHS that could be an interesting read.
This is probably only helpful if the person is not wearing seatbelt as concluded by IIHS.
https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/iih...m-knee-airbags
"In the analysis of real-world crashes, knee airbags reduced overall injury risk by half a percentage point, from 7.9 percent to 7.4 percent, but this result wasn’t statistically significant."

Overall, you are right about the benefits of side airbags and ESC as useful safety features. Readers like me do not properly comprehend the importance, but looking at actual data and videos helps realize the importance better. Thank you again for that informative post. I am now leaning more towards spending the extra bucks and get the Optional trim.
Old 11th November 2021, 14:12   #9
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV300: Should I go for the Option Pack or not?

Quote:
The dilemma I have is related to the options/features between the top 2 trims vs the price charged. OTR for W8(O) is 1.5L more than W8. Features that we get for that additional spend
Hi Asitmonty,

We just took the delivery of W8(O) Diesel MT in Bangalore last week and I can share my thoughts on this (as we went through this debate).

Let's first clear the cosmetic upgrades you get:
  • The sunroof plays a big role in making the cabin feel roomy. Ironically, this was one of the features that we really didn't care for while evaluating the cars. But just keeping the sunroof screen open brings in a lot of light and changes the mood. Note that since we are in Bangalore and the weather here (especially now) is quite good, the extra sun only makes us feel better.
  • The ivory white leather trim is and WILL be a pain to maintain; that said, there is no question about the premium feel it brings to the cabin. We are getting a leather ceramic coating done (thrown in as complimentary along with PPF from a place in Bangalore). With that, it should be easier to maintain as long as you ensure that staining agents like turmeric, mehndi, unwashed denim etc. are not applied on the white trims

Now on to the more serious upgrades you get, things that made the W8(O) truly worth the stretch at least according to me.
  • The 6 airbags addition along with ESC; so with the optional pack you not only get passive safety kit (airbag) but also active safety kit (ESC) which is crucial. Neither of them can be fitted aftermarket. I'd also rank ESC very high - avoiding an accident is more important than saving yourself in an accident.
  • TPMS - you can fix them properly at a good tyre shop and will work seamlessly. But it is best done factory fitted.
  • Front parking sensors; to be honest, I thought it would be mildly annoying at first. BUT, it is very useful in a variety of scenarios. Do note that the bonnet is clearly visible from the seat so you won't find it difficult figuring out the gap in front
  • Autodimming IRVM; well I can see that you have put this in your "good to have" features. For me it was non-negotiable and let me explain. The biggest problem I have with night-driving is the glare from behind because everybody seems to LOVE being on high beam. And I'd either end up with a bad headache or get extremely annoyed ruining my driving experience. I'm not sure if you've checked out auto-dimming IRVMs in other cars, but unlike manual dimming RVMs, these get progressive dimming. So the RVM gets progressively dimmer depending on the amount of glare and ambient lighting conditions (this is how all auto-dimming IRVMs work, nothing special to XUV3OO). So having that progressive option along with the automation (as opposed to 2 binary settings done manually) vastly improves night-driving. And it is much safer that way as well.

When we considered the above points, we felt it was worth to do the additional stretch because our budget allowed us to. We are intending to keep the car long-term and hence the lack of features will pinch us more. So if you can stretch the 1.5L, I'd suggest to go for it.

Also, please note the below revisions from the Oct'21 manufacturing onwards, that is any XUV3OO W8(O) with "M2K" chassis series:
  • Rear fog lamps has been deleted
  • Passenger-side request sensor has been deleted (only driver side gets it)

Along with the above, the earlier modified features are as below:
  • Rear middle seat only gets lap belt (no 3-point seat belt)
  • Along with the above, they have also deleted the feature of rear seat belt warning lamp
  • Mirror warmers were deleted long ago
  • Boot lamp has been deleted
  • Door ajar lamps have been modified to just reflectors

Also, that insurance quote is JOKE. Seriously, a JOKE. Shake that SA well and he'll drop some coins that's hiding in the pocket. I paid 29.5K for W8(O) Diesel MT which has an ex-showroom of 12.64L (IDV of ~11.8). Took it from the dealership only with B2B nil-dep full cashless - this is Mahindra's own cover which is done through Edelweiss. Don't get any roadside assistance, engine cover and such. You'll get road side assistance package from Mahindra itself and get the shield extended warranty also.

Engine protection is already there in basic B2B insurance (the additional engine cover that they usually sell is only in case of flooding AND when you start the car after flooding. If you tow the car after flooding, as per manufacturer recommendations, the basic B2B insurance covers the engine as well - so these are all marketing ploys to con people who don't question enough).

All the best for your purchase!

Last edited by krishnakumar : 11th November 2021 at 14:30.
krishnakumar is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed