Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2021, 07:47   #31
BHPian

Re: The usual Compact-SUV dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvsriki View Post
To summarise, looking for help to understand if it's worth to invest in the top end model of Sonet iMT, as the only major useful difference is the increase in number of airbags.
Hello. I've booked the GTX+ version even though TC AT was available in the HTX variant of Sonet Diesel. While on paper I may be getting ventilated seats, sunroof and paddle shifters after an additional 2 lacs, there are many more smaller features present which one may not be able to buy/add later. Had it been cosmetic stuff like alloys, it wasn't worth it. But these are functional items and pretty much worth going in for. After spending so much money, you don't want to end up in the "Automotive regrets" post on T Bhp

P.S - what is the delivery waiting time intimated to you?

Last edited by jasjotbains : 8th December 2021 at 07:48. Reason: Grammar errors
jasjotbains is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 11:05   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
P.S - what is the delivery waiting time intimated to you?
Given that manufacturing work will stop in another week and resume in the new year, the SA was reluctant to commit to a definite wait time. His response was that it will take a maximum of 20 weeks (5 months) but hinted that I may expect it to be 3 months in the best case (given that some customers back out at the time of delivery).

I am going tomorrow to upgrade my booking and will try to push them for earlier delivery again
kvsriki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 19:34   #33
BHPian

Quote:
. His response was that it will take a maximum of 20 weeks (5 months) but hinted that I may expect it to be 3 months in the best case (given that some customers back out at the time of delivery).

I am going tomorrow to upgrade my booking and will try to push them for earlier delivery again
Good decision to upgrade. Hope you're going in for the GTX?

Do let me know if they accept your demand for quicker delivery with the upgrade. Mine is adamant at 24-25 weeks
jasjotbains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 22:34   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Good decision to upgrade. Hope you're going in for the GTX?

Do let me know if they accept your demand for quicker delivery with the upgrade. Mine is adamant at 24-25 weeks
Wanted to go for GTX, but my dad and wife put a damper on that. Will have to stick with HTX. Main reason is that we are planning to get Seltos for my parents and my additional budget will be diverted there

Planning to visit the dealership tomorrow for getting insurance policy break-up and test drive the Seltos. Will try to push for earlier delivery for the Sonet. Though I got the booking confirmation yesterday and it mentioned that the company wait period for HTX is 19-20 weeks and GTX is 20 to 25 weeks, if that helps.
Old 11th December 2021, 00:54   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Wanted to go for GTX, but my dad and wife put a damper on that. Will have to stick with HTX. Main reason is that we are planning to get Seltos for my parents and my additional budget will be diverted there

Planning to visit the dealership tomorrow for getting insurance policy break-up and test drive the Seltos. Will try to push for earlier delivery for the Sonet. Though I got the booking confirmation yesterday and it mentioned that the company wait period for HTX is 19-20 weeks and GTX is 20 to 25 weeks, if that helps.
Any particular reason for the Seltos for the parents? Safety cannot be one of them

The booking period mentioned by you is consistent with the timelines displayed at the dealership here (19-20 weeks for Seltos and 24-25 weeks for Sonet irrespective of variant). My SA also informed me that incase people drop their bookings, I may get the vehicle by Feb or March (booked mid November). Incase the rumoured facelift of Venue comes out in Jan or Feb, some cross booking can be expected. Till then, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and pampering my i10

Last edited by jasjotbains : 11th December 2021 at 00:56. Reason: Details missed
Old 11th December 2021, 01:34   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Any particular reason for the Seltos for the parents? Safety cannot be one of them
Dad didn't like Nexon because his head touches the front arm while getting in or out (due to its steep angle). Also, he doesn't like AMT. Another reason was that we already have a Nexon in the family, so didn't want to go for it. Mom didn't like the XUV interiors. As far as I know, they both couldn't come to the same page on the other SUVs in the same segment, until they saw and got the TD of Seltos. Safety is not a concern as it will be majorly used within the city and very rare trips. Also, dad has owned a Maruti 800, Wagon R and Dzire. So, Seltos is an upgrade in that aspect
Old 11th December 2021, 13:58   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Dad didn't like Nexon because his head touches the front arm while getting in or out (due to its steep angle). Also, he doesn't like AMT. Another reason was that we already have a Nexon in the family, so didn't want to go for it. Mom didn't like the XUV interiors. As far as I know, they both couldn't come to the same page on the other SUVs in the same segment, until they saw and got the TD of Seltos. Safety is not a concern as it will be majorly used within the city and very rare trips. Also, dad has owned a Maruti 800, Wagon R and Dzire. So, Seltos is an upgrade in that aspect
When I was a bachelor I didn't know selecting a car was a big deal. Being married now with a kid, it's a nightmare

Seltos is a beautiful car. Had my dealership not screwed up on the TD, I might have gone in for Seltos HTK D AT. Oh well

Is it 19-20 weeks for the Seltos?
Old 12th December 2021, 02:16   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Is it 19-20 weeks for the Seltos?
Yes, it's the same for Seltos
Old 12th December 2021, 08:34   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Seltos is a beautiful car. Had my dealership not screwed up on the TD, I might have gone in for Seltos HTK D AT. Oh well
Looks like you missed GTO's point about to not reject a car just because of the experience at a dealership. There will be other dealerships around, and hopefully the sales man had got out of the wrong side of the bed that day.
Old 12th December 2021, 10:18   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Looks like you missed GTO's point about to not reject a car just because of the experience at a dealership. There will be other dealerships around, and hopefully the sales man had got out of the wrong side of the bed that day.
Considering the same guy sold me the Sonet, wasn't his fault. I wanted a longish test drive but my SA's fellows ppl kept on calling him up since they had a home test drive scheduled. That was a bummer since I wasn't willing to dump 15-16 lacs without a satisfactory test drive (are you listening Tata?)

I had to compromise on a few features in Seltos in comparison to my Sonet. My dad liked the test drive of Sonet more than Seltos so it was a done deal.
Old 14th December 2021, 11:23   #41
BHPian

Hello friends
I have finalised on buying Nexon XZA plus (AMT) petrol. Have taken a test drive of Venue DCT, Kiger CVT, S-cross TC but my family (especially my daughter) did not like either the back seat comfort or the interior look of these cars. Could not get test drive of Sonet DCT as they have kept on delaying but in the showroom the back seat seemed hard and not very comfortable.
My dilemma is that even though we liked the Nexon from an overall perspective but I am not able to get rid of the niggling feeling that at 13 lacs I am not getting the best product especially since it is an AMT. Most expert reviews state that at this price Nexon is not worth it.
Please help by providing your thoughts especially people who already own the XZA plus variant.
Old 8th April 2022, 23:03   #42
BHPian

Sub-20Lakh Compact SUV - Quest for "The One"

Fellow petrolheads

We are in a bit of conundrum, in an attempt to purchase a car suiting our needs and seek your wisdom in zeroing in on "The One". Our efforts so far have been futile and we are stuck in a loop of analysis paralysis.

The Ask - Looking for recommendations for a 5 seater petrol automatic under 20 Lakhs (On-Road, Noida), meant for a mixed use of city and highway usage (~65:35). The top attributes, in order of priority, are "Safety", "Comfort", "Feature set", "Fun to Drive", "Durability". The primary driver will be my SO for her daily office commute of ~30kms round trip on mostly well paved roads and moderate traffic. We are looking at Compact SUVs and crossovers and the expect to have a car delivered over the next 60 days

Context - We have moved to Noida a little over a year back aligning to my SO's office location. I am a bit of a travelling salesman, spending 3-4 days/week on the road which will remain as is for at least a couple of years. My SO's work was following a hybrid model until end of last month which has now changed to 5 days in person. For the past year, she has been dependent on Uber/Ola and colleagues staying in the proximity to get to and back from work. Her in/out timings are erratic and requires her to be at work until ~2000hrs on a few rare occasions. While we have delayed the car buying decision for over a year owing to Covid and related challenges, we now have decided go ahead with our purchase primarily for SO's commute to work and errands around. Over the weekends and holidays, we intend to explore the length and breadth of the country. We have a 2018 Jazz VX CVT in Hyderabad (Parents place), 2016 Ciaz VXi in Delhi (In-laws place) and never had a car of our own. So this is going to be our first car and primary driver.

Usage pattern - My SO is a new driver (Licensed) , sedate but overtly cautious at times and has practiced driving around on my brother in law's Ciaz manual during Covid times. I, on the other hand, have been driving for over 7+ years and enjoy endurance trips across all terrains. My driving style in the city is fast, stickler for lanes and mindful of traffic. On the highways, I am consistent in terms of speed and try to maintain enough safe space around the vehicle. We often commute to Delhi over the weekends to my in-laws place amidst stop and go traffic.

Needs and wants

Safety - Our requirements on safety have been steadfast and we are looking for 6/6+ Airbags, 4/5 GNCAP or equivalent safety rating, ISOFIX points for child seat (Future planned) and inclusion of driving aids such as ABS, EBD, ESC at bare minimum. While I have been insistent on a car meeting our safety requirements, the feature set of few cars are swaying us towards considering a relaxation on safety (Eg: Seltos)

• Fun to Drive -
○ Powertrain - I am a fan of high revving petrol powertrains and would like a car with generous low end and mid torque. I am not a fan of unbalanced 3 cylinder engines and firmly believe in "No replacement for displacement". That said, recent test drives revealed advancements in refinement of 3 cylinder engines, on par with 4 cylinder engines
○ Transmission - My experience with the Jazz CVT has been a mixed bag. The CVT has a pronounced rubber band effect and takes a bit of learning to keep the car in the power band. Keeping this in mind, we have shortlisted models with TC/DCT gearboxes prioritized over CVT
○ Ride handling - I am particular about handling in corners and willing to weigh out ride comfort for high speed stability although my SO would like to prioritize comfort and expect me to take turns slower than usual as a compromise. Steering feel and feedback is an important factor of consideration for I have experienced the worst in previous gen i20 and the best in Jazz (HPS).
○ Braking - Progressive and sharp brakes are of utmost importance and I absolutely detest spongy and inconsistent braking. For the weight and power class under consideration, we are completely fine with a drum+disc setup as opposed to a disc+disc setup found in higher variants of crossovers

• Comfort and convenience -
○ Seats and AC - Good ergonomics, side bolsters for front seats takes priority for us over any additional features such as electronic adjustment and ventilated seats. Long trips in the Ciaz has spoilt us with 3 pax able to sit shoulder to shoulder with a bit of wiggle room to spare. While it will be me and the SO in the car for most times, the rear seat should be able to seat 3 comfortably for when the larger family joins. Soaring temperatures in Delhi NCR and other parts of the country warrant a powerful AC to cool and maintain the cabin temperature. Effective rear AC vents (Blower) are a must.
○ Driving aids - Among the cars under evaluation, we have checked out the topmost variants and the plethora of driving aids offered are quite amazing. This has in turn set a benchmark for SO with a few models like Taigun/Kushaq twins falling short of expectations. To be honest, given the driving experience of my SO driving aids are always welcome. At minimum, reverse camera with active guidelines are a must.

• Durability - We are expecting a niggle free experience from the car over a 5-7 year timeline and willing to pay a premium for long term durability. The reliability requirements are not just restricted to the product but also the service experience from Dealer OEMs. This plays an important role in the purchase decision

The story so far

Tata and Mahindra - Fully appreciating the leaps in product safety from the Tata and Mahindra stables, we have evaluated and ruled out the Nexon, XUV 300 from the shortlist for the lack of true automatic options. If it weren't for these, we would have prioritized the home grown steeds, over the gimmicky feature phones on wheels, for they meet most of our requirements stated above. SO loved the Thar and I was almost willing to compromise on the AT Gearbox, but she took a pragmatic stance and backed out due to practicality. The long delivery period did not help the Thar's case

Maruti Suzuki - I work extensively in the automotive consulting field and Maruti is revered for the strength of its sales, after sales ecosystem and a product portfolio best suited for the average Indian consumer. I do not subscribe to and detest MSIL's stance on safety, hiding behind the garb of "we are in compliance with Indian regulations". We did check out the S-Cross but ruled it out due to the weak AT Gearbox

Kia - Seltos gets the SO's approval from rear seat comfort, rich feature set , styling standpoint. The fact that every 3rd C-SUV that we see on the road is a Seltos, it is on top of SO's list. We are considering the GT line DCT variant or X-Line but TD vehicle was not available in Kia Noida or Delhi. We took a short test drive of Seltos HT top variant (Round the block) with 1.0L engine and TC gearbox and my experience was strictly moderate. There was a slight perceptible lag in gear shifts and overall decent low end torque. I could not articulate this to my SO in a convincing manner though. Ruled out Sonet for its mediocre space in the rear seat. We also checked out the Carens for fun and even took a test drive of the 1.5 DCT variant, also available in Seltos. There's oodles of power available in the low end but the DCT box shifts were slow

VW/Skoda - I was very inclined towards the Kushaq/Taigun twins (1.5+DSG) and we checked out the Taigun first. SO approved the overall design but found the car to be small and compact compared to the Seltos. We went to Skoda next and she loved the well-proportioned design of the car. We took a TD of 1.0L TC (1.5 DSG not available) and the SO now understood what I meant by shift lag and shift speeds of the GB. The power delivery was impressively linear and got out of the car with a smile on my face. We took another trip to VW this time with my brother in law. Here's where it all went south. We were comparing the rear space and comfort of Taigun and it was a very tight fit. BIL also noticed the roof is too low and to our horror that demo car roof liner of taigun was thin as paper and had torn off around the rear cabin light corner. Final nail in the coffin for the twins. Au Revoir DSG, some other time maybe

Hyundai - SO loved the Creta but I found it polarizing. Rear seat comfort was amazing and the sun roof added to the snazz. SO was ready to put her money on the booking right away, if it was not for the 12 month delivery time. Checked out venue right after and ruled out for the compact space.

MG - We were running short on time and casually dropped in to the MG showroom on BIL's insistence to check the Hector, although we did not need a big car. I was not very keen on MG given the Chinese ownership and the hush hush resolution of major issues (Fire, failures etc.). Stumbled upon the MG Astor and loved the cross over form. The interiors were neutral but plush and the seats were super comfortable. We tried the 3 in the rear seat and found it to be slightly congested especially for the middle occupant. The under thight support was not up to the mark and feels wrong overall. Unable to pin point what the issue is. SO loved the car too and as we were short on time we kept Astor as a wild card entry to the mix. A weekend later, we took a test drive of the Astor 1.3 Turbo AT variant as found the ride to be smooth and comfortable (Short drive round the block). The ADAS was overwhelming and I did not pay heed to it during the drive . There was a perceptible lag in the TC , thanks to the VAG boxes setting wrong expectations. We took our time to check the vehicle in depth. SO found the interior quality to be bad (Sangria variant) but changed her mind after seeing the black interiors. The rear seat still remains a concern. While this car ticks most boxes, the long term reliability of MG remains a concern (Partially alleviated by the comprehensive service packages and 5 year extended warranty)

In a nutshell

• Tata, Maruti, Mahindra - Ruled out for lack of proper automatic gearboxes
• VW/SKODA - Kushaq/Taigun ruled out for poor interior quality and lacklustre feature set (Relative to Seltos)
• Hyundai - Creta ruled out for 12 month delivery time and venue for less space
• Kia - Seltos in the race (~6 months delivery). Confused between 1.5L+DCT vs 1.0L+TC
• MG - Astor 1.3 Turbo under consideration. Reliability and rear seat concerns (~2 months delivery time)

We need to take a decision in the coming couple of weeks and make the bookings. Happy to get your thoughts

Cheers
Revverend
Old 4th May 2022, 17:12   #43
BHPian

Re: Sub-20Lakh Compact SUV - Quest for "The One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by revverend View Post
Fellow petrolheads

We are in a bit of conundrum, in an attempt to purchase a car suiting our needs and seek your wisdom in zeroing in on "The One". Our efforts so far have been futile and we are stuck in a loop of analysis paralysis.
1 month on. The search remains inconclusive. We are stuck at Astor vs Seltos for the past month. I am inclined towards the Astor given the nice interiors, 5* rating (ASEAN NCAP) and crossover styling. SO is inclined towards the Seltos for its styling, bells & whistles and the fact that there are a lot on the road which inspires confidence. She has voted against Astor for the rear seat comfort and apparent poor AC performance on account of the fabric sun roof cover

My BIL drove a colleagues Astor in the hills of Ladakh and his observations are :

- Very plush and comfortable cabin
- Rear seat is painful even for short runs. It has a weird upright seating profile
- CVT is laggy and struggled to climb through steep turns (We are anyways considering a Turbo AT)

Now this has tipped the scales in favour of the Koreans and SO is keen on zeroing in on the Seltos. I am in favor with her choice given that she kept an open mind through the process to logically arrive at the Seltos. Although in the back of my head, I am worried about the 3* rating and Hyundai/Kia's lackadaisical attitude, Seltos' DCT issues, recent turbo failures in a 1 yr old Creta 1.4GDI. I am now left wondering if we should go ahead with Seltos and deal with the problems as and when they come.

Despite the purported 'spolit for choice' portfolio in the compact SUV segment, there is not one car tjat meets our needs completely. Happy to get thoughts of fellow Bhpians.

On a side note, I spent some time evaluating the compass although it is way above our budget and concluded that it is a poorly packaged car for the money it demands (Sluggish AT, missing flagship features and 6 airbags in base variants et al)

Request to Mods - Request you to carve out my posts into a seperate thread as requested multiple times earlier so as to get better visibility and subsequent responses

Cheers
Revverend
revverend is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 13:31   #44
SDx
BHPian

Hi All,

Need your help/advice in finalizing my next car.

Need:

My good company gives me an option to lease car for a period of 2-5 years. Lease of my current ride, Ameo 1.5 TDI Highline DSG (2016), ended last November since then I am itching to lease a new car. Before this one, I leased Ford Figo 1.4 ZXI Duratorq (2012 - 2016). unfortunately, I don't have parking space or need for a 2 car garage hence it has to be a replacement and not an add on.

Requirements:
  • Sub-4 meter petrol car for the city. My preference is SUV/cross-over.
  • Need Automatic transmission (No AMT, want to avoid DSG/DCT).
  • High Performance, comfort, reliability and safety.
  • Budget is 10-15 lacs on road. Which can be stretched a little bit.
  • Car will mostly have 2 people. Occasionally 4 adults and 1 kid.
  • Monthly running is not much, 400-500 Kms per month in the City. May be 2-3 Highway runs in a year.
I am not looking at EV's since they cost more than ICE and I may not be able to recover extra cost because of low monthly running. Funny thing is, the extra cost did not bother me when I was buying diesel cars (heart over mind I guess). Probably if EV's were priced as same as diesel's I still would not have. Also, I want to wait for born EV's (skateboard architecture). Feels like a proper thing to do (no offense to current EV owners, just a personal choice).

Cars considered:
  • Urban Cruiser - Facelift version once its launched. It ticks all boxes except for engine performance. I am been driving turbo diesel for the last 9 years. Going by XL6/Ertiga reviews not sure if I will enjoy the drive of new K15C engine. Some of the reviews said that performance is not bad in the city and since most of my running is in the city, I might be ok with it? Recently someone mentioned in Brezza post that new car will not be launched by Toyota :(. If ture, this may longer be an option.
  • XUV300 - I have heard all good things about this car. A few weeks ago I stepped into Mahindra's showroom to see what the fuss is all about with this one. Sadly they did not had an AMT for test drive. I was told someone will send me a pdf brochure for model/features list comparison and connect with me regarding TD. Both never happened. Will give TD another shot. I have 2 concerns with this car - driving AMT (AutoShift) after butter smooth DSG is not going to be a pleasant experience. Interiors, design language is old. Media reports suggest Mahindra is going to launch a facelift next year. I don't want to wait that long and there is no telling if they will introduce a better automatic setup. Last I checked top-end model costed around 15.15L on road in Delhi. If they replace AMT with DCT or Torque Converter, where will the pricing go?
  • Taigun 1.0L TSI Highline - Though it's not exactly a sub-4 meter car however it doesn't feel as big as Creta or Seltos. I wish highline came with Auto-dimming IRVMs and also I am not happy about VW ditching all 4 one touch, anti-pinch windows. Roll up/down windows with car keys (such a kool feature). My Ameo came with all 3 of them which makes me kind of want to have them in my next car as well. Apart from this I am facing couple of issues with my Ameo (which has hardly done 25.5K kms in less than 6yrs) hence not entirely convinced to go with VW again. Service center is not able to resolve or barely acknowledge them. Will do a separate post on those issues soon. I live in Delhi so 1.0L's issues with AC is going to be another negative point. Did a short test drive of Kushaq (Taigun was not available) was mighty impressed with 1L engine and rear space (might be because I am coming from a sub-4 meter car). Drive was too short to experience any thing else.
  • Venu/Sonet - Have my doubts about them due to safety and DCT reliability issues. No offense to Hyundai/Kia owners in the forum. I was really excited about Venu at the launch with all those 1st in segment features but somewhere along the way I lost interest in it. Plan to do the test drive once the facelift is available anyway.
  • Magnite/Kiger - Somehow doesn't feel like an upgrade from current one.
Please share your thoughts. Should I consider any other car as well?
Old 1st June 2022, 18:17   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDx View Post
Should I consider any other car as well?
Wait for the New gen Brezza which will be launched soon, should meet your requirements to the T.

For Sonet would only recommend the brilliant 1.5L Diesel AT (Torque Converter) and not the DCT.

Quote:
Monthly running is not much, 400-500 Kms per month in the City. May be 2-3 Highway runs in a year.
For your usage would recommend the Tata Nexon EV hands down!!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 1st June 2022 at 18:50. Reason: Please quote only relevant sections of the post, for easy readability.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed