Other (please specify in your post) 10 2.82%
Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2022, 15:48   #76
BHPian

Re: First Car Under 14 Lacs - Feature Loaded

Welcome to the T-bhp community!

Looking at your current and prospective usage, here are my suggestions:

- the car has to be a PETROL as your daily usage is hardly ever going to let you derive the FE benefits of a diesel. Plus, a petrol is much more refined and easier to drive in the city traffic. Considering that petrol and diesel prices are almost at par, it will take you a while in breaking even the initial premium you will pay for the diesel, hence petrol it should be.

- since majority of your drive is going to be in the city and looking at the way our city roads are exploding with traffic, you "must" consider an AUTOMATIC transmission. It's a boon in city traffic. Unless you're an enthusiast who's really addicted to manuals, automatic will serve you very well.

- if you can stretch your budget slightly, check out the Hyundai Creta. It ticks all the boxes of your requirements quite perfectly!
Revvman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 16:18   #77

Venue/sonet/Astor in there petrol automatic trims would be ideal for your usage case IMO. Venue has recieved a fresh facelift . I believe venue SX optional turbo dct would be around 15.5 lakh on road there which is fully feature packed(alongwith sunroof). If you are comfortable you can consider it's iMT variant too.
DhruvBhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 18:35   #78
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

You can take a good look at the KIA Sonet 1.5L HTX Torque Converter Diesel Automatic. It has almost all the features you need at an on-road price under 15 lakhs in Bangalore. Moreover, it comes with 4 airbags and the 1.5 litre diesel engine is lifted right out of the Seltos producing 113 bhp of power and 250 nm of torque, Mileage is great too and it offers great performance, Moreso than all of its other engine combinations. Moreover, its compact dimensions make driving it around the city much easier than cars above 4 metres.

The only features you will miss from the full option GTX+ are:
1. Curtain Airbags (Total 6 airbags against 4 airbags in HTX)
2. Leatherette Seats (Semi leatherette seats in HTX)
3. LED Sound Mood Lights
4. Rear Wiper and Washer (this one is a bit of a disappointment)
5. 10.25-inch Touchscreen (with only wired Android Auto and Apple Carplay) whereas you do get an 8-inch Touchscreen in the HTX Variant with Wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay.
6. BOSE 7 speaker sound system (You get 6 speaker sound system in HTX Variant)
7. Ventilated Driver Seats (It is good to have in the summers)
8. Air Purifier
9. Voice Recognition
10. Auto Anti-Glare Inside Rear-View Mirror with KIA Connect Controls. (You get manual Anti-Glare Inside Rear-View Mirror in HTX)

However, despite the above feature additions in GTX+ over HTX, the steep on-road price difference of over 2 lakhs in Bangalore doesn't seem worth the extra money spent.
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 22:38   #79
BHPian

Hello and welcome.

Given your list you seem to be in for a compact SUV with all comforts.

Go for the Sonet. Fits the bill
unoczar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 23:01   #80
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion is the Honda City 4th Gen manual comes to around Rs 11.76L OTR where I live and it's a gem of a car. Though a generation old it's got it's fundamentals right: Driving Pleasure, Fuel Efficiency, Seat Comfort a large boot, etc...
Durango Dude is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 05:41   #81
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Cheezus View Post
I am definitely more leaned towards SUVs or the bigger looking vehicles over Sedans and Hatchbacks.
My budget is 12-14 Lacs on road price. I am open to Diesel or Petrol and Manual or Automatic.

What catches my attention in a car is having a good touchscreen with GPS, sunroof, driving automations and good looking interiors
MG Astor
Kia Sonet
To be honest if you are going to get married soon, it will be better to factor in the choices of your partner also. I would suggest you to wait till your marriage is fixed and shop around with her in case it's an arranged marriage. My wife couldn't drive a manual, ended up buying an automatic.

If you are adamant, then Astor or Sonet fits the bill, the latter I wouldn't personally buy due to poor safety. But your preferences are interior comforts, so Sonet is good to go. The lower manual variants of Toyota Hyryder would be within your budget, the interiors won't have all that you want, but it's a newer car.
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 19:14   #82
BHPian

Re: MG Astor vs MG Hector vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs others

Wait for Suzuki Grand Vitara and Toyota Hyrider and checkout what is the differentiator from current SUV's in market

Nissan Magnite/Renault Kiger 1.0 turbo CVT automatic with 4 star rating is good value for money

Last edited by amarprusty : 14th July 2022 at 19:35. Reason: adding new cars
Old 15th July 2022, 08:56   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Cheezus View Post
Hi Everyone!

I am new here and am here to pick your brains to help me buy my first car in Bangalore!.

A little about me -
I am a 28 year old single man working as the Regional Director in a leading Digital Marketing firm of the country. Currently I stay 4kms away from office and I plan to be married next year so I might move to my own apartment which could be max 10kms away from office, so the whole trip could be 20kms.

Car usage and buying factors -
I am looking to have a vehicle that has good features to make life easier and also a car that has a great look/road presence. Apart from the office trips of 10 to 20 kms daily, I am also looking at exploring nearby areas in Bangalore on the weekends, so adding 300 kms occasionally each month. So a total usage of around 500-700 kms per month maximum.

Budget and Cars Considered -
I am definitely more leaned towards SUVs or the bigger looking vehicles over Sedans and Hatchbacks.
My budget is 12-14 Lacs on road price. I can stretch by 1 Lac if I am convinced that it is worth it and I am also open to buying pre-owned cars if someone has a good recommendation or past experience. I am open to Diesel or Petrol and Manual or Automatic.

What catches my attention in a car is having a good touchscreen with GPS, sunroof, driving automations and good looking interiors apart from mileage etc.

1. Hyundai Venue
2. MG Astor

Really love the features, the automations and the interiors but the model that falls in my budget does not offer a panoramic sunroof :(
3. Renault Duster
I like the road presence and was always fascinated by it as a kid but it lacks features and interiors don't look that premium I guess
4. Kia Sonet
5. Kia Seltos
6. Tata Harrier (second hand)
7. Open to Suggestions

It would be great if you can weigh in and help me figure out what car and model/make would be best suited for me. Thank you for reading my post and I look forward to some positive responses.
Going by your requirements the Brezza ZXI Automatic variant ticks all the boxes.
Its a freshly launched vehicle.
It has a tried and tested, reliable engine and a new 6 speed gearbox.
Cruise control, sunroof, premium sound system are all available.
It offers good mileage as well while giving a SVU like feel. Zxi is the most value for money variant of the Brezza and also the most recommended one considering the impressive feature list and the new 6 speed gearbox and mild hybrid which will give you maximum benefit in city driving. If you want to save cost, you can opt for a manual variant although the automatic falls right in your price point and has all the required features.

As most of your driving will be in city in heavy Bangalore traffic conditions, you might want to consider a semi electric vehicle like the Toyota Hybrid Hyryder or Maruti Vitara. Both can do about 25 kms in electric mode which should cover your daily driving and give you a nice savings on fuel cost. Both the vehicles will be manufactured by Toyota, you can be assured of getting a good quality product as the brand is known for its quality and reliability. You also get the SUV like feel. However the hybrid power train is being launched for the first time in India so the Brezza would be the less complex model to maintain in the long run. Besides, you may have to compromise on few features to keep your budget in check as both these vehicles are one level above the Brezza.

Personally speaking, in your budget range, I would prefer the Zxi automatic model of Brezza over a manual variant of the Hyryder or Vitara as I feel a higher variant offers more features. New Brezza should also get 5 star safety rating or at least a 4 star, which is higher than Creta-Seltos or Venue-Sonet which are 3 star rated.

Another option to look at would be the Nexon AMT. It's also a solid product and should be on your list.

You can also go for Nexon EV as most of your driving will be in Bangalore and it should not be too difficult to find a charging network in and around Bangalore. It will save you on your daily fuel costs and can be a good option if you do not plan to take very long trips.

Unless you do plan to take longer trips, the second hand Harrier should not be on your list as it's a diesel vehicle. The maintenance costs will be higher for a diesel vehicle for the amount of driving you are planning to do. The larger foot print of the Harrier might be an issue in bumper to bumper Bangalore traffic. Other than that, it is a solid vehicle.

Your choices can be from the below 4 or 5 star safety rated Petrol or EV vehicles with the Harrier being the only diesel vehicle. Brezza still is the top choice in the below list.

Brezza Zxi auto.
Nexon AMT
Nexon EV
Hyryder or Vitara - variant that falls within your budget.
Second hand Harrier (automatic only) if you can get one at a reasonable price.
PowerSpike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 08:15   #84
BHPian

Re: MG Astor vs MG Hector vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs others

I would buy a pre owned creta/ Seltos with a good amount of kit.

pre owned, I would be able to afford these features and gizmos that I wouldn't be able to with 14L budget.

Brand new, Kiger/Magnite is the best I found after test driving all the cars in the budget.
If I had only city use, and no real consideration of highway safety, I would choose between the sonet and Venue. They are quite sorted cars. Great drivetrains, good tech, decently comfy.

Avoid a used harrier. BS4 harriers fit the budget, but are best avoided. BS6 also has it's fair share of issues, so BS4 as you know, will be much worse. There are good examples too, but the problem is inconsistency. Some are good, some are terrible, and that increases your probability of acquiring a lemon.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 17:43   #85

Advice on Replacing my 2013 Etios Liva with Compact SUV/MPV

Hi Fellow Car Enthusiasts!
My Toyota Etios Liva G is 9.5 years old as at the time of writing this. I wanna upgrade to a passenger vehicle that has about 400 litres of bootspace and can either carry 3 healthy adults in the 2nd row without feeling cramped and without the person in the middle harassed by the floor-mounted rear AC vents console. Here are a few key points about my need/wish:
  1. I want a car with great ground clearance, as roads in Mumbai are replete with speed breakers, potholes, craters and 'fault lines' where concrete meets asphalt.
  2. Wants great suspension - preferably soft - as am usedd to Toyota.
  3. PETROL ONLY - with Hybrid option - but Mild Hybrid only.
  4. Build quality is high priority, as it's only the second line of defence (after God's protection). 4 airbags are required - 6 are preferred.
  5. Prefer AT - torque converter or CVT. Wanna avoid DCT and certainly do not like AMT/AGS.
  6. If I have to settle for manual (hope not), the gear shifts must be smooth and well-slotted.
  7. Mileage should be at least 11 in Mumbai's peak hour traffic, with AC ON fulltime.
  8. I am used to Liva's rush of power from Gear # 2 - so need something that has good throttle - both in-city and out.
  9. Ingress/egress must be easy as my 85-year old father has had walking issues and finds it a challenge to get into and especially out of a car. So a low-set SUV/MPV is not preferred, but a high one too may be a challenge.
  10. I do not wanna go for peripheral brands no matter how promising their cars might be - Citroen, Renault, Nissan. In fact, even want to avoid the VW family and if possible, Kia and Hyundai. Poor buld quality overall.
  11. I kow that it leaves me with only: Toyota, Honda, Tata, Mahindra and Maruti.
  12. Wanna avoid Tata (except Harrier, but it's expensive). My parents nearly lost their lives when my elder brother's Indigo Marina caught fire at Saki Naka, Mumbai, due to some electrical issue and the car turned into a fossil in barely an hour. The flames went up 3 storeys high, inviting TV channel crew and 300 spectators - except the fire engines, as they were stuck in the late evening office hour rush.
  13. AC must be Auto, and separate vents for 2nd and 3rd rows - all roof-mounted.
  14. Service backup must be thoroughly dependable. I doubt if anyone other than Toyota and Honda can match up to that.
  15. Overall product quality must be accomplished (Muqammal, in Urdu).

BUDGET: On-road, before accessorizing it, INR 12 lakhs to 17 lakhs MAX.

FYI, I did not book the Scorpio-N thought I found itthe lightest car (diesel AT) I have ever driven, with great torque / turning radius.

Now my fellow Car-Adorers, please lend your valuable guidance so I make a wise, no-regret decision. Lastly, my heart says go for a tall SUV but my head says settle for a medium-highted MPV. What should I do?
Old 12th August 2022, 18:51   #86
BHPian

Re: Advice on Replacing my 2013 Etios Liva with Compact SUV/MPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetanRindani View Post
[*]Ingress/egress must be easy as my 85-year old father has had walking issues and finds it a challenge to get into and especially out of a car. So a low-set SUV/MPV is not preferred, but a high one too may be a challenge.[*]I do not wanna go for peripheral brands no matter how promising their cars might be - Citroen, Renault, Nissan. In fact, even want to avoid the VW family and if possible, Kia and Hyundai. Poor buld quality overall.[*]I kow that it leaves me with only: Toyota, Honda, Tata, Mahindra and Maruti.[*]Wanna avoid Tata (except Harrier, but it's expensive). My parents nearly lost their lives when my elder brother's Indigo Marina caught fire at Saki Naka, Mumbai, due to some electrical issue and the car turned into a fossil in barely an hour. The flames went up 3 storeys high, inviting TV channel crew and 300 spectators - except the fire engines, as they were stuck in the late evening office hour rush.[*]AC must be Auto, and separate vents for 2nd and 3rd rows - all roof-mounted.[*]Service backup must be thoroughly dependable. I doubt if anyone other than Toyota and Honda can match up to that. [*]Overall product quality must be accomplished (Muqammal, in Urdu).[/list]
BUDGET: On-road, before accessorizing it, INR 12 lakhs to 17 lakhs MAX.

FYI, I did not book the Scorpio-N thought I found itthe lightest car (diesel AT) I have ever driven, with great torque / turning radius.
Are you looking for a 7 seater ? In that case, you have no options other than New Ertiga and New XL6, as we can expect decent build quality. Carens is a good car but with compromised safety. TATA Safari is a good buy if you can extend your budget upto 23 L at least.
Marazzo is a heavily underrated car with good value for money proposition. Try to check once.
If you are happy to consider 5 seaters, please wait for the Hyryder and Grand Vitara pricing announcement to take a call.

Last edited by Hickstead : 12th August 2022 at 18:55.
Hickstead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 21:15   #87

Re: Advice on Replacing my 2013 Etios Liva with Compact SUV/MPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Are you looking for a 7 seater ? In that case, you have no options other than New Ertiga and New XL6, as we can expect decent build quality. Carens is a good car but with compromised safety. TATA Safari is a good buy if you can extend your budget upto 23 L at least.
Marazzo is a heavily underrated car with good value for money proposition. Try to check once.
If you are happy to consider 5 seaters, please wait for the Hyryder and Grand Vitara pricing announcement to take a call.
I just test drove the XL6. Superb. No lack of power in its torque converter AT. Build quality is the only thing that is to be considered now. Also sat in Grand Vitara. Rear seat not for 3 healthy adults. I'd rather choose the Hyryder and stick with Toyota. Or go for XL6. Just gotta know from a Nexa dealer that XL7 is 6-8 months away.

Will TD Seltos tomorrow. Else might go for XL6.

Thank you for the quick revert!
Old 14th August 2022, 20:58   #88

With a budget of ~25 lakh, Jeep Compass or MG Astor

Hello guys,

This is my first post here on Team-BHP. Have been an avid follower of the forum for years now. The passion and attention to detail of members here is unmatched. I trust posts here more than expert reviews I read elsewhere on popular car blogs.

Now coming to my question -

I’m a 40 year old with a teenage daughter and a wife. The three of us are the ones who generally travel in our car. My parents are with us only occasionally. I currently drive a pre-owned XUV500 which I’ve used for 6 years our of 10 it has been used overall. I and my family absolutely love it and I know I don’t need to go into why owners love their XUV500s.

However, given the age of the car and the hard and long clutch in my manual, driving in bumper-to-bumper Mumbai traffic is really hurting my left leg bad. I’m out in the market looking for a car somewhere in the range of 20-25 lakhs. I’ve shortlisted the following cars:

1. Taigun GT+

I like the Taigun but my daughter wants a panaromic sunroof. That’s the only thing that she looks for. Hence, this option is out

2. Harrier top model

This one feels almost similar to my XUV500, which is great. Just that the car is too large (again similar to XUV500) and hence difficult to drive in a city. Also, all the driver controls and material inside felt cheap.

3. Jeep Petrol Limited
All of us loved this one.
Smaller dimensions, large sunroof, premium cabin and excellent to drive. Only negative is the price.

4. MG Astor top model

I’ve added this one to my list just now, yet to TD. This one seems like a good combination of everything I’m looking for. Small dimensions (as compared to my XUV500), large sunroof, premium cabin and also well within my budget. Just that I’m not sure if things are as good as they seem, especially given it’s a Chinese brand. I also don’t see a crash test rating.

So now, I’m confused between the 3rd and the 4th option above. Should I go for the safe but expensive option 3 or try my luck with option 4?

I can stretch my budget upto 30 if it comes to it - 25 is not a hard limit. And I plan to keep this car for the next 4-5 years and then upgrade to 1 or 2 segments above.

I’d really appreciate some guidance from the members here. Thanks a lot!
neeravp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 03:15   #89
BHPian

Re: With a budget of ~25 lakh, Jeep Compass or MG Astor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravp View Post

1. Taigun GT+

I like the Taigun but my daughter wants a panaromic sunroof. That’s the only thing that she looks for. Hence, this option is out

I understand that this option is out but my two cents are that I personally would have gone for Taigun GT+. It's more fun to drive than the other two and not to forget it has a better fuel economy over highways. Where taigun lacks is that it doesn't have the fit and finish that Compass and Astor have but, it isn't something that you can't live with either. I must clarify, when i say it's more fun to drive i mean from a petrol engine performance perspective it's more engaging. If we take compass diesel in account than compass is the winner hands down.

Quote:

3. Jeep Petrol Limited
All of us loved this one.
Smaller dimensions, large sunroof, premium cabin and excellent to drive. Only negative is the price.

Jeep is certainly the premium of the lot but commands a hefty premium as well and i don't think the turbo petrol is as fun to drive as Taigun nor is it economical. If you want to go for compass i would recommend Diesel variant (granted you can stretch your budget). Diesel is fun to drive and has good mileage figures.

Quote:

4. MG Astor top model

I’ve added this one to my list just now, yet to TD. This one seems like a good combination of everything I’m looking for. Small dimensions (as compared to my XUV500), large sunroof, premium cabin and also well within my budget. Just that I’m not sure if things are as good as they seem, especially given it’s a Chinese brand. I also don’t see a crash test rating.
I personally would skip Astor due to uncertainty regarding government's outlook on Chinese products, limited service centres and uninspiring performance. If you were to take a test drive of Taigun, Compass and Astor back to back i am sure you wouldn't be impressed with Astor.

Here's another wildcard, If you are considering extending your budget till 30 lacs for Compass's top variant maybe give Hyundai Tucson a shot?

Last edited by BleueNinja : 15th August 2022 at 03:41.
BleueNinja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 07:33   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: With a budget of ~25 lakh, Jeep Compass or MG Astor

Jeep Compass is the perfect premium car for a small family like yours. It is expensive, but also has the kind of quality and driving manners like nothing else in its price range. I will suggest that you look for pre loved options. One year old Compasses are to be had for 5L less than the on road price. Diesel is the fuel or choice here.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed