Something bigger like an XUV700, Harrier etc 121 34.08%
Other (please specify in your post) 10 2.82%
Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2022, 07:48   #91

Re: With a budget of ~25 lakh, Jeep Compass or MG Astor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
If you want to go for compass i would recommend Diesel variant (granted you can stretch your budget). Diesel is fun to drive and has good mileage figures.
Compass Diesel, with the features I want, is above 35 lakhs OTR, way above my budget.

Quote:
Here's another wildcard, If you are considering extending your budget till 30 lacs for Compass's top variant maybe give Hyundai Tucson a shot?
I waited for 2 months for the Tucson to launch but was taken aback by its pricing. Tucson Diesel is above 40 lakhs OTR.

I forgot to mention in my question above that my driving is limited. I don't drive more than 400-500 kms in a month usually. Hence, I'm not giving sufficient weightage to the engine performance and driving manners. Most of my driving is in bumper-to-bumper Mumbai traffic with an occasional trip to Lonavala (a small hill station on the outskirts of Mumbai).
Old 15th August 2022, 11:42   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravp View Post
I forgot to mention in my question above that my driving is limited. I don't drive more than 400-500 kms in a month usually. Hence, I'm not giving sufficient weightage to the engine performance and driving manners. Most of my driving is in bumper-to-bumper Mumbai traffic with an occasional trip to Lonavala (a small hill station on the outskirts of Mumbai).
Then i think Jeep compass should suffice your need.

If you majorly drive in city only with bumper-bumper traffic why not consider Creta? It gets Panaromic sunroof, is comfortable and you get a decently feature loaded car.
Old 15th August 2022, 12:03   #93

Quote:
Then i think Jeep compass should suffice your need.

If you majorly drive in city only with bumper-bumper traffic why not consider Creta? It gets Panaromic sunroof, is comfortable and you get a decently feature loaded car.
Have read that the build quality of Creta is not that great. But I'll still give it a TD. Thanks.
Old 15th August 2022, 12:32   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Have read that the build quality of Creta is not that great. But I'll still give it a TD. Thanks.
It barely managed to score a 3 star rating out of 5 but, given that your majority of car usage comprises of city driving only SX(O) model should be sufficient. If highway driving component within your usage would have been more than I wouldn't recommend creta.
BleueNinja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 11:30   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys,

4. MG Astor top model

I’ve added this one to my list just now, yet to TD. This one seems like a good combination of everything I’m looking for. Small dimensions (as compared to my XUV500), large sunroof, premium cabin and also well within my budget. Just that I’m not sure if things are as good as they seem, especially given it’s a Chinese brand. I also don’t see a crash test rating.

So now, I’m confused between the 3rd and the 4th option above. Should I go for the safe but expensive option 3 or try my luck with option 4?
Considering you are a family guy whose daughter's opinion has a say in the matter, Astor will be the perfect car.

- Compact footprint

- Loaded with features- including some really useful ones (ADAS) and some gimmicky yet entertaining ones (AI assistant)- not to forget the panoramic sunroof which only the rear passengers get to feel and experience!

- Premium and quiet cabin

- Solid build quality (no crash testing but Team-BHP reviews confirms the solid build)

- Great ride quality- rides over potholes

- Better handling than its larger cousin Hector

You don't ride more than 500Km per month- so petrol it should be (Petrol engines have much better NVH levels as well). After 4-5 years, when you upgrade, you can hope to experience superior engines but for the time being, Astor's Turbo Petrol automatic should fit your needs.

MG's Chinese origins have always under the scanner. But MG really is a British firm, which has Chinese ownership now- quite like Volvo which also has a Chinese ownership. As a matter of fact, the iconic Ambassador car was based on a Morris Oxford Series 3 model. Old car aficionados do remember the Morris Motors brand. MG India has done well and carved a niche for itself for solid, feature rich, tech savvy vehicles which offer good comfort.
RiverRanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 12:34   #96

Re: MG Astor vs MG Hector vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs others

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I have now narrowed down my options to: MG Astor and Jeep Compass Petrol Model S. Mind says Astor but the heart says Compass.

Will make the decision today.
Old 16th August 2022, 14:45   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Neeravp, Based on the above, what you appear to need in a car is:
  • A soft comfort oriented suspension and not a handling oriented one.
  • Comfortable cabin
  • Good sound insulation and NVH
  • Can do with cars which have low FE
  • Acceptable size for the city
  • And yes, a panoramic sunroof
Since you are not averse to MG, you should really be looking at the MG Hector. Yes, it is kind of large, but it is not too wide. In a city drive, it is the width of a car which is dimentionally the most problematic. Please go through the relevant parts in the Choosing an SUV thread which would have many pointers (relevant page numbers in the first post).

Vis-à-vis the Compass:
  • Slightly more width (17mm), significantly more length.
  • Incomparably larger cabin inside. After being used to the XUV500, you might find the Compass cramped. Hector has a very good ratio of inside space to outer dimensions.
  • A boot which is large enough for airport visits.
  • Much quieter inside (details in and just before second round of TDs in the above link, but that is for diesels)
  • Plush city-speed ride, which is way more comfortable than the Compass.
  • Going by experiences shared on T-Bhp, better AC and no rattles.
  • Going through threads one also notices many issues being reported on the Compass, and very few for the Hector. People also praise the service quality of MG. MG has few dealers, but Jeep even fewer.
There are many areas where the Compass is better, such as agility, sharper cornering, a bit more sprightly, high speed control etc, but they are not much relevant in your case.

As Bleuninja said, the other one to consider is the Creta, but to me it still seems that the Hector is the one for you and you just might keep it longer than you anticipate now. The point of concern might be about the longevity of a Chinese company in India.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRanger View Post
MG's Chinese origins have always under the scanner. But MG really is a British firm, which has Chinese ownership now- quite like Volvo which also has a Chinese ownership.
Mate, there is another way of seeing things:
Volvo, JLR etc have a legacy of designing and making cars which is being taken forward. In the case of MG, it doesn't seem so at all. Eg. the MG Hector is really a rebadged Bajoun 530 which is designed and made by SIAC. A bit like when Toyota sells a Baleno under a different name, it is still seen as a Maruti product. There is much to like in some MG products, but I don't see them as carring on the MG heritage and design; only a badge for higher acceptance and respectability.

Last edited by Poitive : 16th August 2022 at 15:09. Reason: Refinement, added Edit.
Poitive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 07:32   #98

Thanks guys!

I've gone ahead and booked the Compass Petrol Model S(O). Getting the delivery in a week
neeravp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 11:22   #99
agm
BHPian

Dear BHPians!

I am planning to buy a new SUV and my budget for the same is 21lakh(on road).

My monthly running will be around 600-700kms and 90% of the times the vehicle will be driven inside the city with occasional highway trips(2-3 every year).

I’m looking for a petrol automatic. I’ll keep the car for 7 years at least.

I look forward to your recommendations and suggestions. Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 13:15   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agm View Post
Dear BHPians!

I am planning to buy a new SUV and my budget for the same is 21lakh(on road).

My monthly running will be around 600-700kms and 90% of the times the vehicle will be driven inside the city with occasional highway trips(2-3 every year).

I’m looking for a petrol automatic. I’ll keep the car for 7 years at least.

I look forward to your recommendations and suggestions. Thanks
Default options for you are Creta and Seltos Petrol Automatic unless you have any aversion to Korean twins.

Option #1 Creta SX(O) IVT. This is fully loaded top end so you get all the gizmos. You also get panaromic sunroof if it matters to you. There is also SX IVT which is one version lower than top end but still has panaromic sunroof. It can save you about 1.5 Lac vs SX(O).

Option #2 Seltos HTX IVT. This is mid variant so may miss on some nice to have features like ventilated seats, bose speakers, powered seats etc. Only gets regular sunroof and not panaromic. But you can save some money if these feautres are not important to you. Unfortunately there is no top end IVT in Seltos.

Option #3 DCT models of both Creta and Seltos.This would be little bit strech marginally but you get a peppier, fun to drive engine if it matters to you. However, reliability of DCT transmission in long run is unknown so it can be a hit or miss.

I am not suggesting any other brands just yet but if you detailed your requirements or likes/dislikes further, there can be other options to be explored. Right now I'm just stating the obvious choices which you can't go wrong with.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 17th August 2022 at 13:25.
Aviator_guy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 14:23   #101
agm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Default options for you are Creta and Seltos Petrol Automatic unless you have any aversion to Korean twins.

Option #1 Creta SX(O) IVT. This is fully loaded top end so you get all the gizmos. You also get panaromic sunroof if it matters to you. There is also SX IVT which is one version lower than top end but still has panaromic sunroof. It can save you about 1.5 Lac vs SX(O).

Option #3 DCT models of both Creta and Seltos.This would be little bit strech marginally but you get a peppier, fun to drive engine if it matters to you. However, reliability of DCT transmission in long run is unknown so it can be a hit or miss.

I am not suggesting any other brands just yet but if you detailed your requirements or likes/dislikes further, there can be other options to be explored. Right now I'm just stating the obvious choices which you can't go wrong with.
Thanks a lot for your inputs.

I forgot to mention that have booked Hyundai Creta 1.5 IVT SX(o) last month. But I was wondering if it is really worth 20+lakhs(20.5 lakhs on road here including extended warranty).

Since I’ll be keeping this vehicle for long period of time I have decided to go with the top end variant. In that case Seltos is out of question.

I really love the way 1.4 turbo DCT drives. Had so much fun when I took the test drive of it last month. But no matter how good it may be, I’ll not take a chance with DCT, no two ways about it. I want peace of mind.

Panaromic sunroof is least important thing for me, just useless! Wish we had the choice of not having a sunroof in top variant.

Your thoughts on Astor 1.3 AT?

I know with my limited running diesel is not going to make sense, but still want you experts to guide me if I should opt for a diesel with TC automatic. I’ll have best of both worlds. Reliability of a TC and torque of turbo diesel.
Old 17th August 2022, 14:50   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your inputs.

I forgot to mention that have booked Hyundai Creta 1.5 IVT SX(o) last month. But I was wondering if it is really worth 20+lakhs(20.5 lakhs on road here including extended warranty).

I know with my limited running diesel is not going to make sense, but still want you experts to guide me if I should opt for a diesel with TC automatic. I’ll have best of both worlds. Reliability of a TC and torque of turbo diesel.
Car prices have sky rocketed in last couple of years so I have stopped asking question about whether a model is worth It is seller's market and companies are making most of it.

Peripheral brands like MG, Nissan, Renault etc have not been in my radar since their long term future in the country is uncertain. Ford exit has not helped build that confidence so I can't comment on Aster. May be others can pitch in

Diesel AT is good combination of torque and transmission as you have mentioned. However the BS6 diesel engines have a problem of their own related to DPF clogging if running is mostly within city (lot of short runs and not high speed trips). Please review the forum for DPF issues so that you can take an informed decision. Another angle is long term future of diesel cars in India given the NGT ban in NCR which may extend to other states down the line (no way to know for sure if and when that will happen). Hence many companies are getting out of diesel options post BS6 era.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 17th August 2022 at 14:56.
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 15:19   #103
BHPian

Quote:

If you are willing to consider Astor, 1.3 Turbo petrol with TC AT is my pick.
Since you are not much interested in 'desh ki dhadkan' Panoramic sunroof, you can consider mid variant 'Smart Turbo AT' which costs ~ 20 L OTR.
Interiors are well laid out in Astor with good build quality as well.
Stay away from CVT avatar of Astor as it neither drives well nor fuel efficient.
Hickstead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 10:19   #104
agm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post

Peripheral brands like MG, Nissan, Renault etc have not been in my radar since their long term future in the country is uncertain. Ford exit has not helped build that confidence so I can't comment on Aster. May be others can pitch in

However the BS6 diesel engines have a problem of their own related to DPF clogging if running is mostly within city (lot of short runs and not high speed trips). Please review the forum for DPF issues so that you can take an informed decision.
This is exactly the problem because of which I’m in two minds. I keep the car for longer period of time(7-8 years). But, after ford exit these brands don’t inspire much confidence. Otherwise Astor would’ve been the best bet with nice interiors, decent turbo petrol engine matted with TC.

Yes have gone through all those threads/posts related to Dpf issues which many members are facing with their diesel cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
If you are willing to consider Astor, 1.3 Turbo petrol with TC AT is my pick.
Since you are not much interested in 'desh ki dhadkan' Panoramic sunroof, you can consider mid variant 'Smart Turbo AT' which costs ~ 20 L OTR.
Interiors are well laid out in Astor with good build quality as well.
Stay away from CVT avatar of Astor as it neither drives well nor fuel efficient.

If it’s Astor, than it’ll be 1.3 turbo and not the NA one for sure.
Astor 1.3 Savvy(red) is just over 21lakhs here. I won’t mind shelling out little more to have the top variant with that lovely red interiors. I’m yet to make up my mind regarding Astor. Have requested Local MG dealer to send the Astor again today for a thorough test drive. Let’s see how things pan out after that.
Old 18th August 2022, 11:22   #105
BHPian

[QUOTE Mate, there is another way of seeing things:
Volvo, JLR etc have a legacy of designing and making cars which is being taken forward. In the case of MG, it doesn't seem so at all. Eg. the MG Hector is really a rebadged Bajoun 530 which is designed and made by SIAC. A bit like when Toyota sells a Baleno under a different name, it is still seen as a Maruti product. There is much to like in some MG products, but I don't see them as carring on the MG heritage and design; only a badge for higher acceptance and respectability.[/quote]

You have a point.

But then again, the ZS/Astor is a proper MG and not from SAIC's portfolio like the Baojun530/MG Hector/Wuling Almas/Chevrolet Captiva. In fact, it is the best selling model from MG, selling in UK, Europe, New Zealand and other markets as well.

One of my uncles is an automobile enthusiast who has had 1950s Chevy and other cars in his garage/collection. He opines that "some aroma does remain" as far as automobile acquisitions are concerned.
RiverRanger is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks