Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2021, 12:37   #16
pms
BHPian

Re: Confused between the Jeep Compass and Hyundai Tucson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
@pms - Any reason you have left out the Citroen Air Cross C5?

The below 35k done example from Cars24 seems great but this is the older 6 speed AT AWD, and the gearbox should still be much better than the 9 speeder from Jeep based on my experience from my Safari which borrows the same GB.

https://www.cars24.com/buy-used-Hyun...ru-1025790509/
Citroen C5 on road is 40Lacs which is way beyond my budget plus considering the company and service network is yet to be established in India. Not undermining the product, its too costly for what it offers.

Am not really looking into used cars since we are moving from one after 9-10 years (though I will still keep the City as a beater as long as possible considering the reliability) and even for the next one I intend to own it for the same duration.
Old 24th November 2021, 17:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Tucson scores on the ride quality factor, as well as a better tuned gearbox & rear space. Frankly, the Tucson is just a superb all-rounder, with the biggest deal-breaker being its old, outdated & yawn-inducing interiors. They feel like they're from another era.
Design aside, in terms of quality of materials as well as fit and finish, how do you rate the two?
Old 24th November 2021, 19:48   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshu1101 View Post
As an upgrade to my 2013 Vento 1.6 TDI, I was in the same dilemma as you for a long time. I wanted to upgrade to a diesel AT SUV (preferably a monocoque). After a lot of deliberation and countless test drives, I went ahead and booked a polar white Hyundai Tucson Diesel AT AWD. It is just a brilliant allrounder.

The car has arrived at the dealership, and I did the PDI recently. Registration formalities are in progress, and I expect to get the delivery of the car this Sunday (28 Nov).
Congratulations and wish you many safe miles of driving! Look forward to reading your ownership report in some time

Other than the official review itself, I have not seen much feedback on the Petrol version. Did you have a chance to TD at all or was this not on your list for consideration at all?
vijaykr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 20:16   #19
BHPian

Is 4X4 needed? If not, go for Petrol Automatic else go for Harrier. I would be hesitant to pay such a major premium on automatic considering I never wanted 4X4.

Harrier Diesel Auto is VFM
Jeep Diesel Manual/Petrol Auto is worth the money
Jeep Auto 4X4 is not if 4X4 is not needed

Hyundai has severe chip shortages hence massive production delays. My sales experience with NIOS has been pathetic.

Moreover, i would definitely not buy such a premium car(30+ laks) from a non-premium brand. Its like buying a Titan watch for 1l. Just a perspective. Hyundai Creta is acceptable but Tucson is an overkill.

Last edited by abhatt : 24th November 2021 at 20:20.
abhatt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 20:43   #20
BHPian

I am also in the same boat as you and i am awaiting next generation Tucson to reach here.

If your budget is strictly below 30 Lakhs OTR, i think you should go for current Tucson which may be having good discounts to bring the price of diesel AT below 30 L OTR. Current generation looks very elegant but has good quality but unexciting interiors. Even though the next generation has great interiors, I expect it to cost atleast 35 Lakhs for the Diesel AT.

Compass is also a great car but lacks in space and AT is not as good as the competition but if you enjoy tight handling like a hatchback, it is a great buy. So, decide according to your preferences.
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 21:55   #21
BHPian

As we speak, I am buying Jeep Compass S-AT. I've checked cars from Kicks to the Germans.

Why Compass?
--Simple, purpose of this purchase is to deal with the rough. I already have 2 Sedans, Verna AT and Laura TSI. So, I wanted an AWD vehicle. Many people may think they don't need it, but i have used 4x4s and AWDs in the past, and I truly value their practicality, even on daily drives.

--Ruggedness and off-road ability. The closest to get this without getting kicked out by your family. I did take my family to Mahindra showroom and made them sit on Thar. Don't want to speak about the reaction. Unlike what many may think, Compass can do fair bit of off roading. I am from the southern ghats and have done off road drives, as part of daily life. I never thought Compass can do part of this, till I did a drive with Camp Jeep.

--To be frank, only Jeep guys were interested in selling to me. They brought Compass to my home, with a battalion of salesmen in it. Kia was ok, they did get a test drive car to my home, which is somewhat remote. But they got the wrong version. After my initial test drive with Turbo petrol auto, I wanted to try Diesel auto, but they brought the normally aspirated petrol. Tucson was supposed to come, but never came. With Nissan kicks, they don't even pick up calls, what to say?

What is not so good in Compass, vs my other drives?

--In terms of refinement Laura beats Compass hands down. Compass is noisier by a good margin. Even a comparison with Verna won't be favourable to Compass.

--While it is not fair to compare, TSI is blindingly faster and picks up speed so effortlessly, while Compass is nowhere near to that.

--AT box is slow. But it does hold gear and does not coast.

Why not Tucson
--There is nothing that can be seen as a stepup from the crossovers that are 10 lakhs down in price. Of course, you get more space. Then, if I were after space, i could get that at lesser price too.

--I felt Seltos more special, compared to Tucson.

--The HTRAC is for the tarmac.

Last edited by WhiteKnight : 24th November 2021 at 22:05.
WhiteKnight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 06:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

@PMS, based on your requirements:
My budget is around 30 Lacs, can stretch it by couple more lacs.
Driving is mostly 60% highway and 40% city with close to 10K Kms/Year

Requirements:
- Good Autobox and comfortable ride for all passengers
- Safety (6 airbags, good brakes, safety tech)
- Good ground clearance in full loads (I live in BLR with lots of un-scientific speed breakers, City has taken enough underbody hits)
- Good enough space for 4 passengers (5th passenger is very rare)
- Tech and creature comforts (good touchscreen ICE, auto wipers/headlights… am upgrading from basic features in a honda city)
- Family loves sunroof!

Doesnt look like you are interested in any sort of off-roading/soft roading. So why don't you look at the Hyundai Alcazar? It now comes as a 7-seater petrol with automatic transmission at the highest trim. You get the same petrol engine as the Tucson (slightly more power I think, at 159 PS), probably better economy, good space for 4 adults, great boot space, ample ground clearance, good tech features (including a great MID) And of course the panoramic sunroof. You will save a few lakhs in the bargain as well.
Yes, its a Creta with 7 seats, but still an upgrade over your current vehicle in almost all aspects.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 08:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaykr View Post
Congratulations and wish you many safe miles of driving! Look forward to reading your ownership report in some time

Other than the official review itself, I have not seen much feedback on the Petrol version. Did you have a chance to TD at all or was this not on your list for consideration at all?
Hi vijaykr, thank you for your kind words. Yes, I hope to put up my ownership report once I've driven the car for a while.

The petrol Tucson was not in consideration given my high usage of the vehicle. Also, I needed the AWD (available only in the diesel GLS variant) as I do a lot of touring.
Old 25th November 2021, 09:32   #24
BHPian

Voted for Compass as my running would be mainly in the Himalayas.

Need 4x4 even though it might not be necessary for on road driving in the Himalayas, but I would rather have it and not need it rather that need it and not have it during any unforeseeable conditions including roads damaged due to landslides.

I would still test drive the Tucson though.

Only other car that I am considering is XUV700.
desidino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 12:28   #25
pms
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Doesnt look like you are interested in any sort of off-roading/soft roading. So why don't you look at the Hyundai Alcazar? It now comes as a 7-seater petrol with automatic transmission at the highest trim.
I did check out Alcazar, though was impressed with the interior fit & finish (though no soft touch materials anywhere) both me & my wife somehow felt the middle row space was cramped.
Felt the front design overdone as well. We immediately checked the Creta rear seats which was in fact very roomy.
Alcazar, we looked the 6 seater version though. Not sure whether the 7 seater have the same space as Creta rear seats.
pms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 12:34   #26
pms
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshu1101 View Post
The car has arrived at the dealership, and I did the PDI recently. Registration formalities are in progress, and I expect to get the delivery of the car this Sunday (28 Nov).

I would like to thank BHPian LONGTOURER, whose ownership report of his Tucson and inputs were immensely helpful in firming up my decision to go with the Tucson.
Congrats for your upcoming Tucson! Wishing you miles of safe and enjoyable drives!
pms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 12:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms View Post
Hi all, the SUV bug has hit me big time and am planning to get one soon. I am using a 2012 model Honda City right now (manual).

Requirements:
- Good ground clearance in full loads (I live in BLR with lots of un-scientific speed breakers, City has taken enough underbody hits)
- Tech and creature comforts (good touchscreen ICE, auto wipers/headlights… am upgrading from basic features in a honda city)
- Family loves sunroof!
Would have blindly recommended to go for Jeep except for your budget and automatic. The problem with Jeep Automatic is it is available only in 4X4 and that is almost 4 lakh more than the manual variant.

Since you are mainly 4 people only and If driving dynamics is the key then go Jeep is a better choice but at 30Lakh, you will get only Manual top end.. that will come to around 31 lakh in Bangalore. Or you will have to go 1 level down and get the limited (o) auto but it misses on some features.

Or else like me, you can look at Hyundai Tucson, which offers a very balanced ride and top end without AWD comes in at around 30 Lakh.
rave20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 12:48   #28
BHPian

Also check out the Citroen C5 Aircross, that car meets most of your requirements and is overall a good product too. Don’t miss it out.
NarediAni7518 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 13:03   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats for your upcoming Tucson! Wishing you miles of safe and enjoyable drives!
Thank you pms! I hope you finalize your new ride soon, something that tugs the strings your heart and appeals to the head as well.
anshu1101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 12:58   #30
BHPian

Quote:

Requirements:
- Family loves sunroof!

SUVs in contention: Jeep Compass and Hyundai Tucson Diesel Automatics

Really confused between these two and request advise from this valuable forum on what could be a better choice.
This is a very expensive buy for me and I intend to keep it for the next 7-8 years minimum.
1. Given you do only about 10K kms/year which roughly stands at around 850kms/month, a diesel car doesn't make sense. Also while the Diesel's are on their way out - I recommend you to consider a petrol drive.

2. Out of the 2 options - I would choose Tuscon over the compass. The reasons are
a. Coming from City, you are already used to the reliability and the ownership experience of Honda. Hyundai as a brand is miles ahead in terms of reliability and ownership experience compared to Jeep.
b. The engine-gearbox combo is one of the prime strengths of Tuscon. In fact, this combo is a big letdown for Compass. Actually, Compass is best in the Diesel-Manual combo.

3. Maintenance - As an ex-Hyundai owner, I can guarantee that the cost and experience will be much better than the Jeep.

4. Being an expensive investment for you and since you intend to own it for the long term, I request you to hold on to your purchase for a few more months. There are some interesting SUV's lined up for India - Tiguan, Kodiaq, next-gen Tuscon, Toyota/Suzuki C-SUV, Honda C-SUV (Creta/Seltos rival), etc.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks