Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2021, 22:20   #1

Upgrading from a Corolla Altis | MG Gloster versus Used Ford Endeavour 3.2L

Dear Team BHPians- I just joined the forum and really bowled over by the depth of expertise, passion and most importantly a community that is so driven to help each other!! I am reaching for your advice to buy a 7-seater SUV.

Currently, I own a Honda Brio AT (2016) which we use for quick city commutes and is our everyday car. I love long drives in my Corolla Altis 2008 (MT). As I was planning to upgrade to a SUV and not wanting to manage 3 cars- I was thinking of selling Corolla Altis but honestly am so attached to this car and having done just 50K KMs.. I feel there is so much more this car has to offer and with a little bit of an investment can make this like new 😊.

We were exploring to buy an SUV (budget 45-50L) to help with farm visits (need 4x4) and India travel with our kids aged 16 and 13 who have a newfound interest in outdoor camping. I was locked on Ford Endeavour and was waiting to see if they bring more powerful engine to the last version of 2L but got the shocker when they decided to move out of India. Not a big fan of Fortuner.

Should I go with MG Gloster which I found great in test drive except for the irritating low gear turbo lag in city driving? The rest of the car- drive, features, spacious interior is an enticing package- However am concerned on the reliability and specially the SAIC 2.0L Twin Turbo engine, transmission etc and am not sure if this the right bet. Or Should I go with a used Ford Endeavour 3.2L 4X4 AT? Or Should I just wait for more better/reliable 7-seater SUV model in 2022 (don’t know which ones are worth waiting in this price band)?

Irrespective of the SUV choice should I sell Corolla Altis as I upgrade to a SUV (I feel a more saner “head-driven” group here can give me more prudent advice to overcome my emotional attachment to Altis &#128522. I would not have sold this if it had an AT.
Yodakank is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 23:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Upgrading from a Corolla Altis | MG Gloster versus Used Ford Endeavour 3.2L

Unless you need a 4 by 4 a Kia carnival or Innova makes more sense for your needs. 4 by 4 is required for real 4 by 4 scenarios only.

Kia carnival is loaded with features and is a boat on wheels while Innova is time tested luxury 7 seater with incredible resale and quality value.

If 4 by 4 is must the Endeavour is my favourite car. I know I am biased but that car is just amazing in all aspects.

True seven seater is either the Innova or carnival. While MG seats are great I am not sure about long term ownership similar to Kia.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th November 2021 at 05:12. Reason: fav - favourite
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 01:45   #3
BHPian

Do check out the XUV 700. However, the wait times are crazy at the moment if you do book now.

Since you checked out the Gloster, why don't you also check out the Alturas G4? Mahindra offers good discounts for the Alturas and it may also be readily available with some dealers.

A used Endeavour may not be the best bet here, considering unreliable service post Ford's exit.

The only other viable option in that bracket is the Fortuner. Not sure what are your reasons for crossing it off the list.

P.s. Do not sell-off the Altis. As a fellow Altis (2009 1.8G MT), its my humble request. It's next to impossible to find a worthier vehicle than our Altis. Was a truly top-class offering from Toyota at the time. I retained the Altis when we bought the Jeep Compass, and will be retaining it even now as we are awaiting delivery of the XUV 700.

Last edited by IamNikhil : 30th November 2021 at 01:48. Reason: Added text
IamNikhil is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 03:57   #4
Team-BHP Support

I think for your use case, I would definitely put the Fortuner on the list. If you can wait, I think the Jeep Commander / Meridian would be a wonderful offering that will be in the same price zone, offer credible 4x4 pedigree and also provide the same sophistication that you were perhaps seeking from the Endeavour.

Coming a step down, the XUV 7OO will provide a tremendously VFM package and is worth considering, the only downside being you will effectively be buying into a 1.0 iteration at this point.

My shortlist of recommendations:

- Fortuner 4x4 AT
- Jeep Commander / Meridian (if you can wait)
- XUV 7OO diesel AWD (1.0 iteration possible downside).
- Next gen Hyundai Tucson diesel AWD (if proper 4x4 is not a must have).

Some slightly off the beaten path recommendation would also be the Isuzu 4x4 A/T (overpriced) which may turn out to be hardcore camping friendly, and if it comes out any time soon, the Toyota Hilux - but who’s to say when Toyota will actually launch it.

While I am a big fan of the Altis, the only reason I can think its fine to sell it is if you’re finally done with MTs. I know I wouldn’t keep any MT car anymore in my garage.

EDIT: One clarification: I have included some 5 seaters too or some sub optimal 7 seaters. I am not sure if you actually need 3 rows of seating or do you just need a spacious 5 seater with a massive boot. Please consider the recommendations accordingly. If you need genuine 3 row seating then the Fortuner or Innova would likely be your best bets, depending on the criticality of the 4x4 to your needs.

Last edited by Axe77 : 30th November 2021 at 04:00.
Axe77 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 11:19   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Upgrading from a Corolla Altis | MG Gloster versus Used Ford Endeavour 3.2L

Nothing much is going wrong with the 3.2L Endeavor. I would suggest, for best value for money, and for a good purposeful vehicle, search for low kms rum 3.2 Ford Endeavor.

Parts availability shouldn't be a problem now, but, few years down the line, you may have to get hold of reliable after market parts supplier. The vehicle as such is reliable, and enough numbers have been sold. So, that shouldn't be a problem.

Another thing you need to be prepared is that 5 years down the line, these cars will have terrible resale.
dhanushs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 12:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Why not give a look at the Alturas G4? I checked it out when buying the 3OO, it is awesome. Has all the features and is really safe. Would recommend that since your budget permits. The fit and finish is truly premium. I think M&M is offering great discounts too. You will escape the waiting periods as well.
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 16:59   #7
BHPian

I have had my Gloster for a year now, and I am completely happy with it. As with any new company's products, we cannot guarantee the reliability of the engine and transmission. Having said that, I am fairly confident about MG India management's long-term intent with regards to maintenance and service - their A.S.S has been reasonably good so far. I have opted for the 5-year Warranty/RSA package, which was essentially free. I have done 13,500 on the odo, and so far so good.

Given that Ford India has stopped operations and M&M doesn't sell Alturas G4 anymore, my personal view is that Fortuner or Gloster is a better option in the 7-seater 4x4 SUV segment. Fortuner - for its "you-cant-go-wrong-with-it" reliability/service/resale-value; Gloster - if you want to feel you've got your money's worth, with its modern interiors and features. I chose the latter
civicsense is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 09:45   #8
BHPian

Dear Yodakank, The Endeavour is certainly out of the question, unless the owner is paying you to take it away. Overall, the Innova seems to be the best fit, but if you are looking for a butch presence, then the Fortuner would be my choice. The Gloster will be a bad buy unless it is used only for highway travel. I test drove it, and I can say it is both irritating and frustrating in city traffic. All the best in choosing from the plethora of options
Old 6th December 2021, 10:42   #9
BHPian

Fellow BHPians have shared their insights regarding the alternatives which I agree with totally.

However, I will keep my comparison specifically between the Ford Endeavour and Gloster only. The 3.2L Endeavour is a gem of a car with a gem of an engine and IMHO we don't see such combinations easily.

If long term reliability is concerned, I wouldn't be too alarmed mainly due to 2 reasons:

1) A close friend of mine owns a 3.2L Endeavour and he has been daily driving it since 2018. Even with the car taking a beating on Mumbai roads for the past 3-4 years, there is close to zero rattles or loose parts. Overall the car has been mechanically solid and he is inching close to the 80K mark on the Odo. The only 'issues' that he has faced are related to the door handles being a bit weak and the interior upholstery being slightly difficult to clean against ink stains.

2) Keeping the Endeavour aside, my neighbour still drives a Fiesta for the past 10+ years. He has had no major problems with the maintenance yet. He intends on keeping the car as long as he can. This in itself speaks a lot about the brand.

While sadly I can't offer any specific pros/cons of the Gloster, I would avoid this car simply because it is too big and too complex with unknown reliability in the long term.

I wish you the very best with the hunt and hopefully see a pre-owned 3.2L Endeavour review soon the forum!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 10:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodakank View Post
We were exploring to buy an SUV (budget 45-50L) to help with farm visits (need 4x4) and India travel with our kids aged 16 and 13 who have a newfound interest in outdoor camping. I was locked on Ford Endeavour and was waiting to see if they bring more powerful engine to the last version of 2L but got the shocker when they decided to move out of India. Not a big fan of Fortuner.
While I absolutely love the Ford Endeavour, I would not bet that kind of money on it as Ford has packed up India operations.
So what other 4x4 options do you have? Toyota Fortuner, Jeep Compass, MG Gloster and Isuzu MU-X.

I would suggest you to test drive Jeep Compass. The new refreshed one is plush inside out and comes with tried and tested setup.
If you are OK with AWD's, do check out Mahindra XUV700 AX 7 Diesel AT AWD Luxury Pack 7 STR.

Last edited by HammerHead : 6th December 2021 at 10:52.
Old 6th December 2021, 11:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

You should sell off the Altis if you have issues driving a MT. It will be an additional burden. You should consider the following-

1. Innova Crysta 2.4 if you don't need 4x4. It's comfortable and can reach most places.

2. Used Endeavour 3.2- jack of all trades. Comfortable, reliable , robust & powerful. 4x4 is pretty competent. Yes ford has left india but they have sold plenty of cars. Additionally this is a global product, so getting spares won't be very difficult in the long run.

3. New fortuner 4x4- The new 2.8 is amazing. It's probably the only true blue 4x4 you can buy in that segment.

If you need 4x4 occasionally, a combination of Thar/Gurkha + Innova Crysta should do the job. Please avoid the MG Gloster. To start off, the 4x4 isnt really capable. A friend was travelling upnorth in his Pajero when he had rescued a stuck Gloster. Secondly, I am damn sure the ownership experience won't be as pleasant as a toyota ownership experience or even Ford for that matter. It is a Chinese SUV claiming fake British heritage. Please give it a pass.
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 12:26   #12
BHPian

Endeavour is a good fit only if you have an existing relation directly or indirectly with the Ford Service network or aftermarket service outlet that can vouch for spares and service availability for half a decade at least.
As some fellow BHPians said, Alturas G4 may fulfil your requirement if 4*4 is a once in a while deal for you. The ride is not as supple as Endeavour but second best in the segment, with unmatched premium-ness by a margin from all others in the segment. Plus, you can take a buyback program with an extended warranty for peace of mind, and it would still be less than other options available.
I bought it not because it was a Mahindra, but Ssangyong. I followed Ssangyong and their history for making spares for ML and then making the car itself- it must be a reliable brand to be trusted by the Three-star.
Another fact- Mahindra bought 10,000 units under contract for CKD, with relative spare parts for Raxton, ala Alturas. The sales and spare should not pose a challenge more than other premium products that provide average experience, if not class-leading.
Old 6th December 2021, 12:29   #13
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
It is a Chinese SUV claiming fake British heritage. Please give it a pass.
How is this relevant when looking a a car's credentials? So JLR is an Indian manufacturer masquerading a brit lineage? You have to weigh the pros & cons against the requirements objectively, and not let prejudices and convictions skew that. Whether a car is Korean / Chinese / Indian / Japanese / German / American as long as the car is competent it should be given fair consideration.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th December 2021 at 17:47. Reason: Spacing added
ike is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 13:05   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Unless you need the added ground clearance, or the added seats : keep the Altis if you're so in love with it.
These cars are built to last!

Just as an option, do drive the Tiguan facelift & Tucson too once unless you need the added row of seats.

What about selling the Brio?
Due to the various lockdowns, we've been using the Corolla & Tiguan as the primary beaters at home & found them to be adequate for the purpose. Mumbai's crazy traffic & lack of parking weren't as big hinderances as the Tiguan at 4.4M length and the Corolla with it's narrower width managed just fine!
Yes, it will definitely cost more to maintain in top shape - bumper touch-ups, etc., but it solves the problem of maintaining 3 cars & also gives you two different options depending on where you plan to go. Our Tiguan sees most of the highway self-drive trips, with the Corolla seeing the city circuit.
Old 6th December 2021, 14:44   #15
BHPian

I have been driving my gloster since last one and half months and have already cloaked 4500 kms in it.
Except for the initial lag, it's a wonderful vehicle. On the highways, it's just brilliant.
The ride quality and comfort as second to endeavour but way better than fortuner. The interiors and features are class leading and nothing beats it.
As regards the ASS, its been wonderful so far and hopefully will remain the same. I have taken 5 yrs warranty and RSA and would advise you the same.

Happy choosing 👍
manasmadaan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks