Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2024, 16:43   #496
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Looking for a budget mid-sized SUV

At 14L budget, though not a SUV, do check out the XL6.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 19:00   #497

It's completely understandable to have specific budget limitations but I guess with the budget you have mentioned and also not considering MS brand there are certain compromises you might need to be make. These compromises could include opting for a smaller SUV , or selecting a SUV with fewer optional features.

From my point of view, if you are open to it, increasing your budget slightly could open up more options for you and potentially provide a better long-term investment.
Old 1st April 2024, 19:57   #498
BHPian

Just buy a Honda

The intent to use the vehicle for 15 years filters everything out of your consideration except a Honda. These things are just built to last. Unfortunately, we don’t get true Toyotas in India in this price bracket otherwise that would be my first thought.

When I took a test drive, the Elevate didn’t seem AS well built AS the older Hondas, the cost cutting was felt on the feel good factors and aesthetics (for the most part). I don’t doubt anything with the basics of Elevate. You can buy whatever variant fits your needs.

Since, you are planning to keep it for the long haul, why not just get the top variant? As it is, vehicles keep getting obsolete really quick these days with facelifts and complete overhauls nearly every 5-6 years. So you might also consider getting the top variant with all the creature comforts. Over a long period, the increase in monthly payments will hardly be a bother. If you take the cash route, it will still be worthy spend since the Elevate top comes with ADAS features as well as blindspot monitoring and great combination of factory fit Tan seats, connected car tech. Overall a very good package, in my view.
SixPistons is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 21:42   #499
Distinguished - BHPian

You need to understand that that none of the so called C-SUVs have any significant space advantage over the WagonR. At best, the width is a little more. Otherwise, cabin space is similar or worse. WagonR is literally a box, the most space efficient design. The boot of WagonR allows luggage to be stacked one on top of the other, which is not the case with the others.

You mentioned 3 key requirements
-highway touring car
-can accommodate 5 adults
-boot to accommodate luggage for 7-10 day family trip

Considering this, no C-SUV is going to cut it, be it Venue or Nexon or Creta or Elevate. You need to think bigger. The straightforward pick is the Kia Carens. The turbo petrol range starts at around 12L ex showroom, and comes with the added benefit of the clutch-less iMT. A practical all rounder option that fits all your requirements. The family sits comfortably up front, fold down the third row and you can carry all the luggage you want to.

Alternatively, you can consider the base Z2 or MX variants of ScorpioN or XUV700 respectively, both of which cost about 14L ex showroom for the petrol. Most cabin and boot space, best ride and handling, best street cred, best comfort, best safety and the absolute best engine that you can get for this kind of money. Obviously, fuel efficiency will be relatively a bit lower, but it’s really not that bad. Shouldn’t be much of an issue as expected running is less anyway. Personally, this route makes most sense to me.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 1st April 2024 at 21:44.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 07:09   #500

Re: Looking for a budget mid-sized SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi Guys,
I am out in the market for a mid sized SUV. As family size is increased and so are travels, my beloved WagonR is feeling less in size for people and luggage. So, have decided to keep my WagonR for city travels and choose a budget Mini SUV for a family of 4 for highways. Below are my requirements:
You can have a look at the new Nexon. The creative plus variant suits your budget and it has most of the necessary features. The petrol motor though it's 1.2L is smooth and has enough power. The cabin is spacious enough to carry 5 adults.

Alternatively, Toyota hyryder neodrive can also be a good option.

Last edited by KarthikK : 2nd April 2024 at 08:35. Reason: Trimming the quoted post for better readability for mobile device users
ignaneswar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 18:06   #501

Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L | Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector Plus, Compass, XUV700, Kicks, Scorp

Am looking for a 3 row SUV for my family which has my wife and 2 dogs We do plenty of road trips with lots of luggage and photography gear. Currently I have a Duster AWD which is nearing the end of its valid life in Delhi NCR. I would love to get another 4x4/AWD car, but unfortunately, nothing with a petrol powertrain fits my 25L budget. Hence I am considering the Alcazar top variant, considering a new one is ADAS is expected in a few months.

Having said that - does the knowledgeable janta here have an alternative suggestion? The Hector with its pillowy high speed ride and CVT is not in my consideration set.
Old 3rd April 2024, 22:45   #502
BHPian

Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L | Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector Plus, Compass, XUV700, Kicks, Scorp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanx13 View Post
Am looking for a 3 row SUV for my family which has my wife and 2 dogs We do plenty of road trips with lots of luggage and photography gear. Currently I have a Duster AWD which is nearing the end of its valid life in Delhi NCR. I would love to get another 4x4/AWD car, but unfortunately, nothing with a petrol powertrain fits my 25L budget. Hence I am considering the Alcazar top variant, considering a new one is ADAS is expected in a few months.

Having said that - does the knowledgeable janta here have an alternative suggestion? The Hector with its pillowy high speed ride and CVT is not in my consideration set.
As you are coming from an AWD Duster and are keen on trips, I'd have asked you to consider the Safari which has a properly working muti terrain modes, has ADAS and other trending features, and is avaiable right now. The adventure edition is under 25 lacs. Personally, I think it is one of the best looking cars on sale right now. However, they don't have a pertol option and that's an issue in NCR, I guess.

However, with the future looking bleak for both petrol and diesel, you might consider this a last chance to enjoy a really good engine and gearbox combo, before we are all forced to switch to EVs. That was one of the reasons I opted for the mHawk Scorpio-N, and I love every minute of driving it, despite the single digit FE I get in the city traffic. The Multijet in the Safari is a similarly awesome engine, and the last of its kind too.

There's also the Scorpio-N Z8 4x4 which is in the same price range, and has proper 4x4, which will definitely extend your range of off-road travel destinations, but again, there is the issue of diesel.

For road trips with family, especially on our highways, I don't trust Hyundai or Kia, especially the current models with the poor crash ratings. I think they have compromised build quality and compensated with bling instead.

If you're not sold on diesel, maybe wait a bit more, and see what the new Duster is like.
vivekgk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 19:57   #503
BHPian

Quote:

Your requirements straight away points towards XUV 700 AWD. Pliant and comfortable Monocoque chassis with AWD capabilities.

I only have one dog but he is comfortable in my XUV 700 in the last row with 5 people on board.
I can understand that XUV might look dated or quirky compared to Safari but the AWD , penta link suspension and Engine itself make it a better machine.

Edit : Just read the ‘petrol’ part. I think ScorprioN makes more sense for you in that case or Innova hycross.

Cheers !

Last edited by BleueNinja : 5th April 2024 at 19:58.
BleueNinja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 23:41   #504

A friend of mine is planning to buy a SUV under 22 lakhs and is looking for help to choose a right one. I am posting this on his behalf. here are his requirements

Budget is 20-22 L
Transmission : Auto. No to DCT/CVT/IVT
Engine : Petrol only
Safety: 6 airbags must. GNCAP ratings 4+ (desirable)
Drive type : 4WD >> AWD >> RWD
Annual usage : 6000-8000 kms
usage profile : 30% city (Bangalore), 65% highways and rest is rough roads
Driving style : Sedate Highway speed 90-110, no night driving not more than 500 kms single stretch driving
Seating capacity : 4 adults
Reliability and quality : high
Comfort : high (no body roll)
Ground clearance > 200 mm
Creature comforts : ACC, decent boot space, wireless autoplay - apple, LED headlamps

This is not his primary car. Intends to keep long and should age well

I do not think there is a car out there which ticks all the above boxes. Here are my recommendations. I have not considered Tata (quality and poor after sales services), VW and Skoda (poor after sales service), Korean twins (for safety)

Verna 1.5 without DCT (does not meet GC and 4WD/AWD)
Thar Petrol AT HT ( only 2 airbags, ride is not comfortable)
Jimny Alpha AT ( no safety ratings, not a highway cruiser, old generation engine)
Grand Vitara AWD ( no AT, GC is less than 200 and safety ratings)
Scorpio Z8 Select Petrol AT ( no 4WD, bouncy ride)

Looking forward for advise from esteemed members

Thanks in advance
Old 8th April 2024, 11:13   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, Creta has better suspension than Seltos?
Also, is Creta shell is much better/safer than Seltos?
Shell of both cars would be equally good. Suspension wise, new Seltos is as good as Creta at low city speeds. But Creta's soft suspension will give it a slight edge. But on high speeds Seltos remains the better driving car.
Old 8th April 2024, 18:05   #506

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlrAutoZen View Post
A friend of mine is planning to buy a SUV under 22 lakhs and is looking for help to choose a right one. I am posting this on his behalf. here are his requirements
Looking forward for advise from esteemed members

Thanks in advance
Hi,

The requirement posted is kind of non-existent in the current market at the given price range.

I would recommend considering Honda Elevate as the first option. The 1.5L engine is very reliable and long lasting, can't say the same about the low quality interiors but can trust Honda overall to provide long lasting vehicles. I checks all boxes except the 4WD and not having CVT gearbox. It is definitely worth considering if these aren't deal breakers.

Alternatively, Toyota Hyryder Neo Drive AWD can also be considered a worthy alternative, which kind of matches all the requirements presented.

Last edited by KarthikK : 8th April 2024 at 18:31. Reason: Trimming the quoted post for better readability
ignaneswar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 08:55   #507

Quote:
Budget is 20-22 L
Transmission : Auto. No to DCT/CVT/IVT
Engine : Petrol only
Safety: 6 airbags must. GNCAP ratings 4+ (desirable)
If your friend can wait a little longer, the new-gen Renault Duster or the new 5-door Thar might fit his bill perfectly

Last edited by benbsb29 : 9th April 2024 at 09:16. Reason: Trimmed post quote.
dieselteen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 16:14   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
I am out in the market for a mid sized SUV. As family size is increased and so are travels, my beloved WagonR is feeling less in size for people and luggage. So, have decided to keep my WagonR for city travels and choose a budget Mini SUV for a family of 4 for highways. Below are my requirements:
1. Budget strictly below 14 lakhs and size of vehicle bigger than my WagonR.
2. As my highway drives would be on holidays or on kids vacations, so choosing a petrol variant.
2. Should be able to accomodate 5 adults including driver.
3. Luggage space for a tour of 7-15 days for a 4 people family.
4. I would be keeping this vehicle for 15+ years, hence should be a reliable petrol motor(Preferably 1.5L )and less niggles overall vehicle like my WagonR.
5. Not a Maruti Suzuki one.
6. Decent mileage giving one.
Please help me in a vehicle satisfying most of my requirements.

Thanks,
Ramki
While you don't want a Maruti Suzuki, your requirements are screaming a Maruti.

"Efficient" petrol engines are something quite exclusive to MS. Honda's Ivtecs are also good. Hyundai Kia petrols aren't very efficient.

Since you don't want a Maruti, might I suggest you the 2nd base variant of Toyota Hyryder (I know it's more of a Maruti, but it's not a bad car) -
* Easily the most efficient, and silent petrol in the segment.
* Can seat 5 comfortably, 2nd only to Creta and Seltos, but at par with Elevate.
* 2nd best Ground clearance of 210 mm.
* 2nd base variant gets you all the regular bells and whistles for the price, and some imp features skipped by other cars in the segment - keyless entry, push start, cruise control, good sounding HU.
* It's a looker as well.
* Also, it should be 4 Star safety rated since based on Brezza platform.
* Interiors are a bit average, but you can customize them down the line maybe.

2nd option I would suggest would be the Elevate.

Creta Seltos are good cars as well, but petrol might not be very efficient, and the cars are 3 star rated.

Also, for highway use, cruise control is one of the most imp features, I suggest you give this feature priority over some gimmicky features whichever car you select.

If you are ok with 3 star safety/an unsafe car with low GC, Carens is big on space and featues as well! Only downside is the safety, ugly looks and it being an MPV.
Old 12th April 2024, 19:34   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A petrol MSUV below 14 lakhs, bigger in space than the wagonR with all the Maruti benefits but should not be a Maruti
Seems like you were in Maruti's mind when they partnered with Toyota
Like mentioned earlier the inside space of the wagonR is hard to match or better so one approach could be to get a 7 seater and use it as a 5 seater.

Suggestions, links courtesy Carwale :
- Taisor S Plus 1.2 MT
- Elevate SV MT
- Carens Prestige 1.5 Petrol
- Rumion G MT
- Creta EX 1.5 Petrol MT
- Hyryder E Neodrive
- Seltos HTK 1.5 Petrol MT

Quote:
3 row SUV, petrol, AWD/4WD
I couldn't find an option.
The closest you get is the Grand Vitara/HyRyder AWD MT or the Scorpio/XUV700 4WD but in diesel.

Quote:
Petrol, Torque Converter, 4WD/AWD/RWD SUV for 4 adults and upto 22 lakhs.
The requirements seem to originate from a spec-sheet based than a real world use case, IMHO.
Just enter these requirements in a filter on some website like Carwale/Cardekho and you'll get no results even after removing many filters, pointing to the futility of this requirement.

Last edited by shancz : 12th April 2024 at 19:35. Reason: corr
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks