Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2021, 21:37   #76
BHPian

Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Found the video from Car and Bike, which shows the XUV700 actually toppling over. It is not shown as any hush hush thing, and has been discussed in the video, and a 5 star rating still been given as per their rules. An interesting aspect to consider about the XUV700 and also the testing protocol.

Attachment 2247228

Link to video:
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=ARS7qVt_HiY
Yes irrespective of what they say it should not topple, watch video of compass and other cars.
Old 19th December 2021, 22:40   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojet View Post
Yes irrespective of what they say it should not topple, watch video of compass and other cars.
Turbojet mate, please share them. I suppose vehicles with a higher centre of gravity would be prone to it. With it's soft suspension and high Height : Width ratio, I wonder how Hector might fare in such a test.

To All:
There are way too many videos/info on the net. If we filter out and share the really good and suitable ones here, it would help all referring to the thread (members and non-members) for their decisions.

Please feel free to share the really good/appropriate ones, mates.
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 09:27   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Based upon test reports of Latin and Euro NCAP, the missing features on car sent to LatinNCAP for adult occupation rating were selt belt pretensioner and load limiter for rear passenger.
Actually, this is not true at all. The Euro spec base model is well specced in terms of safety features. It has 6 airbags and ESC as standard (just like in India). The Latin base model has 2 airbags and NO ESC (ESC is an option on the base model so the test car won’t have it). Here are both links for reference:
Latin NCAP: https://www.latinncap.com/en/result/...on-+-2-airbags
Euro NCAP: https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/...i/tucson/21319

Quote:
That cannot explain the 30% score deviation of Latin from Euro assuming its a CKD kit for both cars.
We can not directly compare scores across different NCAPs with different year's protocols.

But 6-airbags + ESC vs 2-airbags + No-ESC makes a world of difference to safety itself and to the score. To give some idea of how it impacts the score within the Latin NCAP itself, out of a total of 40 points for adult occupant score, 8 is for the side pole test which is not even performed without side airbags. So that’s 20% gone right there.

Quote:
The kerb weight is different as well if you notice carefully.
Crash test weight of 1705 kgs makes it heavier than the Euro spec model that has a kerb weight of 1494 kgs. We generally (correctly or not) associate heavier with safer right . The ANCAP report lists the “Tested Vehicle Kerb Weight” as 1700 kgs. There are also some questions about the wording of that quantity. Is crash test weight same as kerb weight? Some articles claim that “Crash test weight” includes the test dummies and equipment. So, don’t think we can read too much into or draw any conclusions from that number alone.

Quote:
There is already a thread on chasis of Seltos SP2 and SP2i.
Lets look at data that CAN actually be compared, SAME LATIN NCAP and SAME 2021 protocols. Lets take the adult occupant tests actually done (and not skipped) with the 5-star Volkswagen Taos and the 0-star Hyundai Tucson. Note that both are very similarly sized SUVs, so the comparison is fair.

Choosing an SUV up to 22L | Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector Plus, Compass, XUV700, Kicks, Scorpio N-tucson_vs_taos_scores.png

Here,
  • The Tucson performed BETTER in the Frontal Offset Deformable Barrier test than the Volkswagen.
  • Even WITHOUT SIDE airbags, the Hyundai's "SIDE Deformable Movable Barrier" score was only 2% less than a Volkswagen WITH SIDE airbags.
Think about that, in the impact tests a Hyundai's performance is comparable to (if not better than) a German brand known for safety with more safety equipment . I think this speaks volumes to the structural safety of the Tucson.

While Hyundai/Kia ARE guilty of cheapening their platforms for low cost markets for some products, doesn't look like that is being done for ALL of their products. My guess is probably given the small percentage of Tucsons that go to low-cost, dont-care-much-about-safety markets, it doesn’t make financial sense for them to spend time and money re-engineering and creating an ‘i’ or “-IN” version of the Tucson platform

Quote:
Koreans needs to treat India at par with other countries when it comes to safety.
100% agree with you here. I feel in this aspect, Tata Motors are doing a wonderful job in not only producing safe cars, but also putting SAFETY into the public consciousness and conversation. This is having an influence on other car maker's view on safety as well. Kudos to them.

Lastly, wanted to mention that just because the Tucson is a CKD we can’t AUTOMATICALLY apply the 5-star EuroNCAP or 5-star ANCAP or 5-star US-IIHS scores to the Indian car. But based on all the data and details (looking beyond the headline star number) available, we can make a reasonable inference that the Tucson sold in India is a very safe car.
lordrayden is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 20:28   #79
BHPian

If you prefer Manual Diesel, would strongly recommend Jeep Compass Longitude. Its the best VFM Diesel Manual. You will not regret it for sure.
Old 22nd December 2021, 02:14   #80
BHPian

Not to hijack your thread but I am looking at cars in a similar price range as yours, with the options being Hector/XUV700/Creta/Seltos/Taigun/Kushaq/XL6.

My mom/dad whoever sits in the rear seat of our Elite i20 finds the kneeroom really cramped and my mom just out right refuses to sit in the car anymore.

My experience with Hyundai has been pretty bad with every service costing around 15k , the AC coil had to be changed this year ( the AC would stop cooling after 20 minutes, this problem started pre Covid and hence the repair was delayed). The ABS sensor of the right front tyre had to be replaced because the ABS light would turn and stay on every time I took a U Turn(this started happening
after I got the brake pads checked at the 3rd year service).

It just somehow felt that most of the problems started showing up just as the warranty period was about to end.

Also, the Elite i20s mileage is abysmal, I know mileage depends upon how you drive,but getting 9-10 kmpl in the city for a such a small car is not acceptable in my opinion.

My friends Verna Automatic which he bought in 2019 had the check engine light on right out of the showroom and the whole experience was spoiled for him and even he keeps cribbing about how he gets a mileage of 8-9 kmpl.

Hence, I am less inclined towards Hyundai/Kia and hence have not TDed either of the cars till now.

The Taigun/Kushaq are amazing to drive and the handling is amazing, having only driven Hyundais and Marutis till now the experience was something else, but they dont have enough space to sit 3 people in the back seat and were rejected.

I would really love to buy the XUV700 but the waiting period is a bummer. I can't wait 18 months for a car, maybe 6 months but not that long. I have not even bothered to Test Drive it because of the same.

I am personally inclined towards the Hector as I find the car extremely spacious and it fits my family's requirement of excellent rear seat space,the only sore point is the ride quality at high speeds.

The only reason XL6(even though it is not in the same category as the others) is in the list is because a cousin has it, my parents and wife love it for the legroom and the captain seats,the 3rd row is useable too and it is their 1st choice for a replacement. I have driven it around a few times and even I cant find any faults with it, even though somehow I find it boring and I may eventually end up booking it if we don't reach a consensus in the next 3 months.Maybe you should Test Drive it. It does what it is supposed to do and does it well. It is a very practical car.

So, my choice from your list would be the XUV700( if you are ok with the wait times) and Hector, in that order and I would suggest you TD the XL6 once, you may just end up liking it.

Once again sorry if this post is out of context and the Mods can delete it, if it is.
chirag08 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 08:20   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirag08 View Post
Hector/XUV700/Creta/Seltos/Taigun/Kushaq/XL6.
Since you're looking at the XL I would suggest a TD of the S-Cross too. It seems like a natural upgrade from the i20 Elite if you're ok with a 5 seater.

Of the remaining here are my suggestions, not in order :
- XUV700 : delivery period might be a deal breaker
- S-Cross : sorted dynamics closer to the VWs than the the Hyundais
- XL 6 : highly VFM offering
- Hector : exactly what you mentioned

Good Luck.

Last edited by shancz : 22nd December 2021 at 08:25. Reason: r formatting
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 13:39   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Since you're looking at the XL I would suggest a TD of the S-Cross too. It seems like a natural upgrade from the i20 Elite if you're ok with a 5 seater.

Of the remaining here are my suggestions, not in order :
- XUV700 : delivery period might be a deal breaker
- S-Cross : sorted dynamics closer to the VWs than the the Hyundais
- XL 6 : highly VFM offering
- Hector : exactly what you mentioned

Good Luck.
Actually not considering the S Cross because the next generation is already being launched across the world and it should come to India soon too.
chirag08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 16:51   #83
Senior - BHPian

Driven - Mahindra XUV700 Test Drive

Mahindra XUV700 (Diesel Manual) - Test Drive

Folks, as mentioned, had driven the above, and posted the report on page 6. On request, for better readability, the post has been merged to post #9 on page one.
Link:

Quote:
In other news, a few messages about a possible wave of Corona coming up again built some urgency in me and I managed to test drive the Mahindra XUV700. Will share my impressions as soon as I'm able to pen them down in the right mood; likely in a day or two.

Last edited by Poitive : 22nd December 2021 at 16:52. Reason: Updated post title
Old 23rd December 2021, 03:33   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
If you prefer Manual Diesel, would strongly recommend Jeep Compass Longitude. Its the best VFM Diesel Manual. You will not regret it for sure.
Yes mate, I did try the Compass, but it has some issues of it's own which are detailed in the longish test drive report in the post quoted below. Please check it.

Quote:
Jeep Compass (Manual Diesel)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirag08 View Post
Not to hijack your thread but I am looking at cars in a similar price range as yours, with the options being Hector/XUV700/Creta/Seltos/Taigun/Kushaq/XL6.

My mom/dad whoever sits in the rear seat of our Elite i20 finds the kneeroom really cramped and my mom just out right refuses to sit in the car anymore.
So, my choice from your list would be the XUV700( if you are ok with the wait times) and Hector, in that order and I would suggest you TD the XL6 once, you may just end up liking it.
Thanks for the suggestion mate. Though I expect XL6 to have ample legroom, I really don't think I would find it acceptable after being used to the 230Nm/Tonne Optra I've driven for long. It is also a petrol engine. It is a VFM product however. I am apprehensive about the XUV700 as well. Delivery time, and if by some stroke of luck I were to get one early, there are apprehensions of an early iteration of a vehicle. Ideally, I'd pick up one which is at least a year or two old; more so in a Mahindra or Tata. There are other issues too, as described in the long TD report on post#9.

Hector is much in consideration too. Just not feeling satisfied enough as yet, about the driving experience (which isn't bad by any means, but not satisfying enough).

Your Selection:
If legroom is what you're after, a Hector is excellent (especially diesel), though way more expensive than XL6. If the knee-console issue isn't faced by you, the Harrier is a lot of fun to drive, with similar legroom as the Hector, with more width. More details in the reports I posted on the first page. If you are looking for a fun to drive vehicle on a budget, and don't mind an old styled vehicle, would be worth checking the Renault Duster, as discussed earlier in this thread. I expect the Turbo-petrol to be a lot of fun, and with more space than Taigun/Kushaq, and a product which has been in the market for long enough.

PS: I even tried to TD the Duster, but could not get hold of one, and the prospects seemed bleak. Not sure which I might test next - Duster (likely more reliable) or Taigun/Kushaq (reliability questionable) or something else.
Poitive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 10:22   #85
Senior - BHPian

re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L | Driven Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector Plus, Compass, XUV700 & Kicks

Quote:
Having this hulk of a machine (by Indian standards, at least) and not having easy ingress-egress on the co-driver’s seat for a 6 footer with my body proportions! All due to an improper seat height - Unthinkable!
What a fantastic review, I was literally rubbing my eyes reading it.

And seriously the point above is unthinkable, I was expecting that a car that size to could easily hold 6+ feet largely built people with ease.
Quite an eye opener and seems like a deal breaker in your case ?

On the suspension I was quite happy watching some video reviews in the hills and how the suspension was working very well but the low speed ride with the FSD came as a surprise too.

You're right in your statement (also shared by many others) of waiting 1-2 years on any new cars for the issues and niggles to be sorted out.

In a market focussing towards SUVs you can't find one which ticks all the boxes of basic ergonomics, seems so unreal.
I suggest you to ask Santa

PS : I would still suggest to keep the XUV300 and the S-Cross in your fallback options but the ease of ingress part in all seats has to be checked.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 18:52   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What a fantastic review, I was literally rubbing my eyes reading it.
Thanks for this, shancz mate. Just when I start thinking that effort on the XUV700 might not have been worth it, I see this.

Not seeing enough feedback makes one wonder. Not even enough votes on the thread as yet, for them to show up.

Quote:
And seriously the point above is unthinkable, I was expecting that a car that size to could easily hold 6+ feet largely built people with ease.
Quite an eye opener and seems like a deal breaker in your case ?

On the suspension I was quite happy watching some video reviews in the hills and how the suspension was working very well but the low speed ride with the FSD came as a surprise too.

You're right in your statement (also shared by many others) of waiting 1-2 years on any new cars for the issues and niggles to be sorted out.

In a market focussing towards SUVs you can't find one which ticks all the boxes of basic ergonomics, seems so unreal.
I suggest you to ask Santa
Still not sure if it should be a deal-breaker as that is not a seat I use often. It should be, but competition too fails on other counts. Despite the 20 odd lack budget, it is increasingly becoming a choice of the least bothersome, than the most loved.

To be fair, the issue of other 6 feet people fitting well in a vehicle whereas I could not has happened in the past, and was discussed on the forum a decade ago as well. I suppose it has a lot to do with body proportions Then, it was a lengthy discussion, which included how racial mix and genes too influence body proportions (that was a different era on the forum). It was with regards to a Vento, which I found too cramped whereas other 6' plus whose video too were shared did not. It is also easy to rig videos/pics, as one only needs to slouch a little for it seem comfortable and show more headroom than actually available.

Barring the low speed issue I faced on a certain kind of road, the suspension overall was rather good, and I do expect it to be well suited for hills in general. Certainly more than the Hector.

What disappoints me is how car design is moving towards more and more of visual bling and showmanship, and away from basics of design and engineering. In such a scenario, it is the ones who fall outer side of the anthropometric scale, who bear the brunt as I am now; and as you rightly said, this is happening when the market is SUV focused!

Car design is changing, with front seats being pushed further towards the engine bay leaving lesser legroom in the footwell of many. For aerodynamic reasons, windscreens slope increasingly more, making the headroom available in the door opening lesser. Till a decade or two ago, such issues were not there. I have enjoyed much smaller cars with comfort (admittedly I was slimmer and fitter than now, so crouching was lesser of an issue). Interesting how fuel prices can get related to ingress-egress of cars.

XUV300 - the tiny experience

Quote:
PS : I would still suggest to keep the XUV300 and the S-Cross in your fallback options but the ease of ingress part in all seats has to be checked.
Quote:
When you're at Mahindra do TD the XUV300 too, its quite spacious on the inside but I am not sure about the headroom in your case, especially at the rear.
Quote:
More likely, I'll be calling the XUV700 at home, but in case I do land up at the showroom, will certainly at least try the cabin of the XUV300 to start with. It just feels a segment lower to comparison, but one never knows when a surprise springs up ...
Quote:
On second thoughts you are right on the XUV300 and I doubt if it will be spacious enough so can be skipped for now to minimise risks...
Quote:
XUV300 looks like a compact suv with boot chopped off at last minute
Quote:
Had I been limiting myself to it's price bracket, this might have been seen as a big plus, with more space being available in the sitting area, at the cost of the boot.
As promised to @shancz, since I did end up at the Mahindra showroom, I did try the cabin of the XUV300 as well. The car has been in my attention due to it having a wheelbase of 2600mm (same as the Optra, larger than the Astor), higher stance, yet limited outer dimension. With the price it is available at, it made a case for it, despite a small boot.

On entering the front seat, I was pleasantly surprised. Had a very quick impression (was quickly checked while waiting for some paperwork to get completed) - felt bigger than I had imagined. White interiors made it look spacious and inviting. Good sitting position and sense of space and comfort. Setting the seat to my comfortable position, I move to the seat behind mind (driver's) - I find it difficult to even get in.

This was a bit surprising, as though with some discomfort, I could manage it in the Optra; and this despite the font row pushed lesser into the engine area than newer designs, and also having an independent suspension which chews up on back-seat space. Just this lack of space made me not look any further. The benefit I thought will be there, as mentioned to @Turbojet was not sufficiently found.

It was a quick end to the XUV300 story.

PS: Anyone with contacts to Santa, please PM me

Last edited by Poitive : 23rd December 2021 at 19:08. Reason: Refinement.
Old 24th December 2021, 01:22   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- that effort on the XUV700 might not have been worth it, I see this.

- Not seeing enough feedback makes one wonder. Not even enough votes on the thread as yet, for them to show up.
That effort was extraordinarily detailed and covered what everyone else had missed apparently. I learnt so much about how to take a proper TD.
Also realised for once the benefit of a short stature
Had not even thought about the ingress on passenger side seat.

- Understandable but as per the trends these days, very detailed/technical stuff usually tends to be less popular due to limited audience since they're quite specific, detailed and need time and in a social media world the attention span is woefully reduced.
You can start a thread discussing the faults/flaws in other people/products/brands and you'll get way more popularity.

Without digressing further I would say that the measure of popularity is not a measure of quality/knowledge/effort.
So, don't bother with it, your analysis is top notch

Also replying takes time, especially on a phone, the equivalent of crouching and adjusting you feel in the cars I feel while typing on the phone so the replies get delayed as this thread needs time to think and reply.

Honestly I am almost as interested as you are in which car you end up getting. This is turning out to be quite a hunt.

Quote:
Despite the 20 odd lack budget, it is increasingly becoming a choice of the least bothersome, than the most loved.
Quite sad in a way, was very hopeful with the 700.
Seems like the comfort option is the Hector, the FTD is the Compass and the 700 is somewhere in between along with the Harrier.

Since comfort is a priority, I see the balance tilting towards the Hector now.

Quote:
I suppose it has a lot to do with body proportions Then, it was a lengthy discussion, which included how racial mix and genes too influence body proportions (that was a different era on the forum).
Agreed, will find time to read through your earlier threads. Of the few I have read through it was quite a read, the user base was way more close knit early on and expected.

Quote:
Barring the low speed issue I faced on a certain kind of road, the suspension overall was rather good, and I do expect it to be well suited for hills in general. Certainly more than the Hector.
Nice to still have it in contention but the waiting period is also a negative now but the big question post your TD is will you be willing to wait for an update/delivery while getting a short term used car ? like you had earlier mentioned. Is the 700 special enough to be worth the wait for your case ?

An early update might happen for the suspension but the passenger seat issue is doubtful.

Quote:
What disappoints me is how car design is towards more and more of visual bling and showmanship, and away from basics of design and engineering. In such a scenario, it is the ones who fall outer side of the anthropometric scale, who bear the brunt as I am now; and as you rightly said, this is happening when the market is SUV focused!
Agreed, the corner cases don't factor in that much in design these days. Its becoming more of a form over function theme.

Quote:
- Car design is changing
- Interesting how fuel prices can get related to ingress-egress of cars.
- True the earlier ones had sound basics with good buffers to cover most cases.
Also noticable is the incoherence in design between the front and rear but a topic for another thread so skipping it for now.

- Good observation but all it denotes that times have changed and we need to adapt.

Quote:
Setting the seat to my comfortable position, I move to the seat behind mind (driver's) - I find it difficult to even get in.
It was a quick end to the XUV300 story.
I had feared that about the rear seat of the 300.
S-Cross remains to be seen but I am unsure how it would be but won't recommend unnecessary TDs in light of the new variant.

Outside of these, used options like the Alturas G4, Tiguan might work in space but not in economy IMO.
I think the Captiva would have been a good replacement in your case, if Chevrolet existed.

Stay Safe.

Last edited by shancz : 24th December 2021 at 01:41. Reason: Corr
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 12:27   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
Lastly, wanted to mention that just because the Tucson is a CKD we can’t AUTOMATICALLY apply the 5-star EuroNCAP or 5-star ANCAP or 5-star US-IIHS scores to the Indian car. But based on all the data and details (looking beyond the headline star number) available, we can make a reasonable inference that the Tucson sold in India is a very safe car.
Tucson sold in India being a safe car is a mere speculation at this moment unless crash tested. Usually the CKD units like Landrover Evoque sold in India and completely built up car imported from Europe are both 5 stars because the active and safety features and underlying platform remain the same , only difference could be in the assembling process which is similar for luxury segment. CKD is used to avail taxation benefits from local market lIke India. We don't know whether Koreans are supplying inferior steel grades for components of Indian Tucson. I can present data to show actual differences between Tucsons sold worldwide but this will not aid OP in making a decision.
Old 25th December 2021, 22:03   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
- We can not directly compare scores across different NCAPs with different year's protocols.

- But 6-airbags + ESC vs 2-airbags + No-ESC makes a world of difference to safety itself and to the score.

- he ANCAP report lists the “Tested Vehicle Kerb Weight” as 1700 kgs. There are also some questions about the wording of that quantity. Is crash test weight same as kerb weight? Some articles claim that “Crash test weight” includes the test dummies and equipment.

- Lets look at data that CAN actually be compared, SAME LATIN NCAP and SAME 2021 protocols.
Think about that, in the impact tests a Hyundai's performance is comparable to (if not better than) a German brand known for safety with more safety equipment .

- While Hyundai/Kia ARE guilty of cheapening their platforms for low cost markets for some products, doesn't look like that is being done for ALL of their products. My guess is probably given the small percentage of Tucsons that go to low-cost, dont-care-much-about-safety markets, it doesn’t make financial sense for them to spend time and money re-engineering and creating an ‘i’ or “-IN” version of the Tucson platform
Some very interesting points brought forward, @lordrayden. The objective ones, the subjective ones, and also the subjectivity of the objectivity

Quote:
- Tucson sold in India being a safe car is a mere speculation at this moment unless crash tested.
- I can present data to show actual differences between Tucsons sold worldwide but this will not aid OP in making a decision.
True, it is speculation and as is often the case, one is left with many points of consideration to make one's subjective interpretations, which will understandably be made differently by different people based on what all data points are considered and what weightage given to each.

Even though not specifically about a SUV under 22L, the points brought out about safety, and it's interpretations adds to the thread's value. I imagine others with similar needs (members and non-members) too would be reading the thread for info. Thank you mates.

Quote:
The take away from the whole thing is that we shouldn't take crash ratings from other countries at face value and get into the details of what exactly was tested and how.
My personal take on safety:

(It is extremely subjective and please take your own call based on what you think right)

- While I do not disregard the crash ratings, I do attach limited value to them. The tests are done at certain speeds, with impacts to certain parts, in certain ways. It is standardized as it should be. Since this has a lot of selling potential, it is reasonable to assume that manufacturers will focus more on acing these tests, and that might not be the true reflection of their safety. In some sense, it could be like the student who figures out what to study for an exam and aces it vs another who might be a lot better but not as exam focused. Exams/ratings while do serve a purpose are hardly truly representative of safety, which IMO is quite personal and subjective.

- Active safety probably plays a bigger role. A car which eventually hits something at a lesser speed might be much safer. One which is controlled better owing to certain types of brakes and other electronics might be much safer. Reducing the speed at impact goes a long way. Avoiding of course much more.

- Many would pay for an extra star in ratings, but how many actually diligently check tyre pressure? An overinflated tyre which will lose contact more easily or increase braking distance is often overlooked, as is an underinflated tyre which would heat up and has a higher risk of blowing up.

- Selection of tyres. Most tend to go for ones which last longer. They would often increase braking distance. Much less safe. I'd pay for such to compensate for a star.

- A highly subjective issue is also how well controlled a car feels to someone. Different people feel better control over different cars. One should drive and check what one feels more confident controlling than just go by second hand info about handling. We experience cars differently.

- Seat and cabin comfort: A tired driver is likely to make more errors of judgement. A comfortable seat and cabin helps in this case. It is easily and I think usually overlooked. If one goes through this or even my past threads/posts (a decade ago), you'll find me focusing on the seat. Safety is one of the reasons for it.

- Obviously, driver skills their further development. It is also about developing instinct. If one drives different cars regularly, I find the idea of having some equipped with many aids and the other not being so questionable. Say, if one is used to ADAS and assisted brakes etc etc, one tends to instinctively react differently, and it may be detrimental while using a vehicle without such aids.

- Toppling over of a vehicle, as in the quoted posts below is an issue for me. Even if one doesn't really topple over, losing control is easier in vehicle with a high Centre of Gravity. It is one reason I've preferred low Sedans over higher vehicles.

Quote:
After this test a detailed behind the scene video was released on social media , in which ORV on other side was broken which could only happen if the car toppled.
Quote:
Found the video from Car and Bike, which shows the XUV700 actually toppling over. It is not shown as any hush hush thing, and has been discussed in the video, and a 5 star rating still been given as per their rules. An interesting aspect to consider about the XUV700 and also the testing protocol.

Link to video:
Let us look at ratings, but not only at them

PS: I'm sure I've forgotten some points.
PPS: @shancz: your lovely post needs due time and attention to reply and shall do so soon.
Poitive is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 20:36   #90

re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L | Driven Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector Plus, Compass, XUV700 & Kicks

Many friends have complained about ergonomic and Knee rubbing on center console in Tata Harrier. Maybe they are way taller than me because I don't find this to be an issue at all. And for the reference I am 183 cm tall.
Last week, I completed a 3200km trip in my Harrier and whilst returning from Kolkata I drove the car non-stop for 973km with just two breaks of filling in the diesel and a quick tea break somewhere near Prayagraj. I have three bulging disks and I never felt strain on my lower back. I have XZA+ variant and there definitely are some issues with the car, which I don't like. For example, the headlights are useless and I'm going to replace them. The brakes could have been a bit better but the car overall is wonderful for the 23lac.
I have driven MG Hector and I disliked it as the suspensions reminded me of my Verna. The Jeep is any day better than Harrier but the one I liked came 32+lac on road. Another aspect was the Jeep's cabin is not as spacious as Harrier.
udhaw is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks