Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2021, 10:45   #16
BHPian

Re: Want to buy an Adventure SUV for camping, cycles & tents

For Xylo like usability, the only car which would satisfy you is another one from Mahindra's MUV stable that is TUV300 Plus. But sadly it was discontinued after bs6 norms kicked in.
Dependable 2.2 mhawk, ample space for 7 and rugged body on frame architecture. Try finding one in used market
Attached Thumbnails
Want to buy an Adventure SUV for camping, cycles & tents-20211228_104449.jpg  

Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 12:02   #17
BHPian

I don’t think so that we have a car in India which suits your amazing requirements, but there’s one car that is for you but you will have to compromise on space :- look no further than the Toyota Fortuner 4x4 or the Legender 4x4. Although too expensive for what it offers, this car is bullet proof ! And since it’s not available in maroon, you can get it wrapped somewhere
Old 28th December 2021, 14:25   #18
BHPian

Mod note: Back to back post, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Mod Alert. Back to Back Post. Please Merge

All the vehicles mentioned are Body on Frame vehicles like the Gypsy. These have far more wheel articulation and are more capable of tackling broken terrain vis-a-vis monocoque vehicles like XUV / Hector/ Harrier. Also if you do decide to go ahead with a motorcycle purchase retaining the trusty old Xylo, then do have a look at V-Strom / Versys / KTM 390 Adventure . Our own rb2399 has toured the length and breadth of the country on his V-Strom which is an eminently tractable, low seat height, low CG motorcycle. Here are some links that may help you decide.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...000-km-up.html

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...installed.html (Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed)
Thanks, i will check

Albeit i stay in the hills whereby Suzuki and Kawasaki might not be serviceable, KTM service center's i have seen, sadly patience is not really my virtue and impatience to bad service now runs deeply in blood.

I will await the new Scorpio as well, Scorpio's, Safaris (older) and Gypsys have been my go to vehicles for over two decades so i have a comfort factor with them, i chose the Xylo only as my wife said she did not feel safe in either of the three (things you do in marriage )

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarediAni7518 View Post
I don’t think so that we have a car in India which suits your amazing requirements, but there’s one car that is for you but you will have to compromise on space :- look no further than the Toyota Fortuner 4x4 or the Legender 4x4. Although too expensive for what it offers, this car is bullet proof ! And since it’s not available in maroon, you can get it wrapped somewhere
They are very much under consideration, the brand served well during in Middle East and African continent, extremely reliable and gave a certain stamp of authority over our 'nosy neighbors' who were stationed nearby but did with old depleted Pajero's

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th December 2021 at 15:19. Reason: Back to back post, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.
tatafanatic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 14:33   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatafanatic View Post
I am not sure if this is the appropriate forum to be posting this query;

I have been with a Xylo for over 1Lac kms, the vehicle was purchased when it was in it's prime so the paraphernalia that came were suitable for that period of time, now my most crucial demands would be

1. It should seat 7, ideal travelers would be me + wife + 2 cycles + 1 Doberman + tents and other camping equipment's
2. When the above don't join it still would require to seat 4 hurly burly friends + 2 cycles + tents and other camping equipment's + one friends into fishing so fishing stuff (I cant change these guys, they been with me through thick and thin)
3. As the above scenarios go the destinations would be basically where no one dares to go, vehicle with strong bearings will really help and pan nation serviceability.
4. We were taught navigation with help of stars so vehicle needs only a decent music system and steering mounted controls along with PS and PW (those are only creature comforts required)

I tired the Isuzu something, it was good, but then never seen any ply on roads and it's not a tank to be so clandestine

Kind request to punch in options. Also I am free to be told that such vehicle doesn't exist so why not keep the current till it breaks and go for a adventure tourer motorcycle and try a whole new world out there
The only thing that suits you to a T is the Isuzu VCross. Yes, it is the older model that we get here. Yes, it doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles. Yes, service network is limited.

BUT

It'll take all you've listed - a guy in our cycling circles in Bangalore routinely takes 4 mountain bikes in the flatbed with the cab loaded with riders. He is also a big kayaker and he hauls his kayaks across the country.

It may not have a great network but Isuzus are famously bulletproof. It'll go to the moon and back and through a brick wall so I doubt you'd have to worry on that score.

It doesn't have the comforts and bells and whistles but you've clearly indicated that that isn't a deal breaker for you if the other criteria are met.

The other option would be one of the Bolero variants but I still think the VCross would be it for you as long as parking is not a concern. But nothing else will touch your requirements.

Fwiw, I saw the comment about MG. We own a Hector Plus. Have installed a Thule roof rack for two bikes. And we bought it to carry the two of us plus our pack of four - two beagles, a Retriever and a Great Dane. I don't think your worries about MG upping and leaving aren't a realistic issue. They are clearly here to stay if you look at the scale of their investments and their model rollouts. They (seem to) have far more of a clear roadmap to the future than say the American brands that have left, and the speed and intent to deploy it. So I wouldn't worry on that score. However, I'm not sure the Gloster would really be the kind of car that would take you to the places you seem to want to go (off the beaten track).

VCross seems your best bet at the mo.

Last edited by RT13 : 28th December 2021 at 14:34.
RT13 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 14:34   #20
BHPian

Mod note: Back to back post, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Also trim the quoted post, helps with readability especially with mobile browser. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Going away from civilization? Fortuner it is.

I assume you have a cycle with a detachable front wheel.
Thanks, Toyota is very much in consideration

Yes both my cycles have detachable wheels, albeit the xylo gobbles them easily in totality

Sadly and that's my take on the matter, today's SUV are too gizmo's, i find the xylo good as it doesn't irritate me with information

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
1. Yes getting on is an issue and with my short frame I don't even consider the concept of flat footing on any motorcycle.
=======
3. Will eagerly wait, do let us know
Thanks

I have a disgust with RE and Jawa for milking national sentiments, but that's me, Maxi Scooters sound exciting, will check on availability and serviceability, my patience on those matters is a downer.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th December 2021 at 15:20.
tatafanatic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 14:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It should seat 7, ideal travelers would be me + wife + 2 cycles + 1 Doberman + tents and other camping equipment's
Mate, this very statement rules everything out other than a double-cab pick-up, which makes things very easy

Low on budget: Isuzu VCross

Budget non-issue: soon-to-be-launched Toyota Hilux

All of the so-called 7-seater SUVs will not let you haul all of the stuff you mentioned above, unless you put additional carriers for your cycles and/or a roof-rack.
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 15:04   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. It should seat 7, ideal travelers would be me + wife + 2 cycles + 1 Doberman + tents and other camping equipment's
Not sure if its available in Maroon but the Scorpio Getaway is being tested in the hills down south - 4WD, Diesel, Automatic. I happened to see it in the dark blue shade, you can add a canvas canopy over the rear loading deck, bench seats etc.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 15:48   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
The only thing that suits you to a T is the Isuzu VCross. Yes, it is the older model that we get here. Yes, it doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles. Yes, service network is limited.... but Isuzus are famously bulletproof. It'll go to the moon and back and through a brick wall so I doubt you'd have to worry on that score.
Yes, your ideal vehicle may not exist... but while we're on crewcabs...

Isuzus are great and almost everyone in the world knows that. Personally I don't give a hoot about bells and whistles.

Trouble is that not all required services have anything to do with a vehicle's "bulletproofness". Accident damages are of course the first thing coming to mind, but it can go beyond that.

Friend here with a V-Cross struck the oil-chamber on something in Spiti Valley and holed it without realising... Said the oil light came on very late, which is doubtful, but whatever, he didn't see any oil pressure warning till the crankshaft and other things were toasted.

Might add that he'd bought this 2017 model at a great price in pristine condition BECAUSE it had a failed gearbox! All this repair work in both cases had to be done in a metro and was NOT cheap. Fortunately he lives in a metro with relatively good spares supply but the towing from Spiti to there must have cost a real bomb. And either one still took more like weeks vs. days to resolve.

Compare that to guys running basic Indian SUV's out there, who in such cases can often just call a mechanic from here in Manali to come out and if necessary rebuild a gearbox /engine roadside. I suppose those times and methods are drawing to a close, BUT...

...But that said, if it was me (and I am contemplating vaguely similar questions and vehicles), I'd go for the Getaway.

Scorp platform, if you research other threads, is probably equally famed for its "bulletproofness", some people called it very Toyota-like in that regard - hardly anything required over many years apart from brakes/tyres/oil. If something DOES happen, M&M network is absolutely everywhere. And last time I looked (couple years ago), BSIV's with mHawk were at most 13-odd lakhs new. Maybe 11+ depending on engine/ equipment (CrDe a decent unit, too). Superb vfm, in my book.

Another friend here has a V-Cross of similar age bought second-hand at that 13L price, and while nice, the engine makes as much awful racket as any other oldsçhool diesel... I mean, I could hear it clattering behind us while driving the Marshal, of all things!!!

I feel they're good but somewhat over-rated and too often sold along the lines of status and "latest fad/fashion", honestly.

And the previous friend says it also lacks low-end grunt at altitude, is looking to a re-map...

If a Scorpio isn't quite palatable for whatever reason, will say that in rugged places I've been on a couple continents where both Isuzu and Toyota are well-established, it is the Toyotas that are more highly esteemed / sought after.

None of these are wholly perfect or unbreakable, if course. Dad had a HiLux crewcab in Honduras for years, bad operating conditions there of course, but whatever, it became a real money-pit as it aged...

If a crewcab's NOT going to do it, then I guess just get the biggest thing you can, and let the rest fall aside. A fine preowned Force One at great discount, perhaps ??? :-)

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 28th December 2021 at 16:02.
ringoism is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 16:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
...But that said, if it was me (and I am contemplating vaguely similar questions and vehicles), I'd go for the Getaway.
All true. As for the Scorpio Getaway, I have another friend who has one. I didn't know they still made them. Do they? Also, they seem to handle like pigs. Bouncy as hell when unladen and the rear seat seemed cramped to my recollection (more so than the V Cross). But I can totally imagine their utility and 'fixability' anywhere.

Force One - nice. I always liked that one. But if in that direction then may as well go with a Fortuner I suppose. Or even a used Endeavour since we're on the subject. Or for that matter, even a new Gurkha since utilitarian interiors aren't a turnoff.
Old 28th December 2021, 16:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a disgust with RE and Jawa for milking national sentiments, but that's me.
Noted, I have some too but more on the service side of things.

Came across this video by Shumi, he has my respect for putting things as the are.
Worth a watch since motorcycles and long distance touring are definitely your forte. Excellent points on long tours, seat heights and types.

Credits to Providers :

Last edited by shancz : 28th December 2021 at 16:49. Reason: ffl
Old 28th December 2021, 23:17   #26

Quote:

2. When the above don't join it still would require to seat 4 hurly burly friends + 2 cycles + tents and other camping equipment's + one friends into fishing so fishing stuff (I cant change these guys, they been with me through thick and thin)
3. As the above scenarios go the destinations would be basically where no one dares to go, vehicle with strong bearings will really help and pan nation serviceability.
4. We were taught navigation with help of stars so vehicle needs only a decent music system and steering mounted controls along with PS and PW (those are only creature comforts required)

Oh and needs to be maroon

I tired the Isuzu something, it was good, but then never seen any ply on roads and it's not a tank to be so clandestine

Well that's the dream isn't it? The closest you can get to the requirements you have without braking the bank, is that Isuzu something you tried but with a trailer for the gear you intend to carry. My pick would be a used Isuzu DMax V Cross and fabricate a lightweight flatbed trailer for the gear. Doggo on the rear bench/ truck bed with a canopy depending on whether the burly friends are along for the ride or Ma'am is. Roof racks would take care of the cycles. Catch is the you can never seat seven and pan nation services is a big ask. The trailer would also aid in transporting your adv which you'll eventually get.

Alternatively you can consider getting any seven seater 4x4 and get a trailer hitched to it. Options under 18 lacs would be-
1. 2016-18 TFort (used)
2. Scorpio S11 4x4
Jacob1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 09:27   #27
BHPian

Thanks to all

I have made it here, hopefully will walk out happy
Attached Thumbnails
Want to buy an Adventure SUV for camping, cycles & tents-image37.jpg  

tatafanatic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 15:31   #28
BHPian

Finally the Isuzu Hi-Lander was selected, it has the bells and whistles i wanted, year end discounts were thrown which made the deal bit more juicy, some add-ons were thrown which also tilted in favor of positive decision BUT the biggest tilt came when i was told it is available in 'Red Spinal Mica' color, no clues what that means but its a maroon as far as i am concerned

Wife's happy as i am happy, daughter's happy as i am happy, meaning i wont inflict upon any them further mental trauma

My Thanks to all who helped in on options and must say people know their stuff well
tatafanatic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 16:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, the best option was selected and in the colour you wanted, its going to be Happy New Year indeed

I was oblivious to the D-Max too but this thread was a good learning experience, thanks to the folks who posted

PS : Will wait for some pics and impressions, no rush though, enjoy the drives.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st January 2022 at 11:59. Reason: As requested
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 01:23   #30
BHPian

Jai Hind Sir,
First of all congratulations on your ride, wishing you lakhs of happy miles.
I just wanted to share a prospective (not very popular) candidate-
The Force Trax Cruiser- although it was discontinued in 2018, it’s expected to make a comeback as has been shared in this article on Rushlane and is expected to be priced at Rs.12.5 lacs ex showroom. Dealership experience might not be the best but should fill all requirements except perhaps the colour.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks