Kia Carnival 30 7.04%
Citroen C5 Aircross 23 5.40%
Other (please specify in your post) 28 6.57%
Voters: 426. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:25   #31
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kodiaq vs VW Tiguan vs Toyota Fortuner vs MG Gloster vs others

If one wants to enjoy a good car like ride for five years and not fuss about six figure resale or astronomical repair bills after five years , Skoda or Tiguan may score better. But if the intent is for fuss free ownership and a limited depreciation after 5-6 years then Toyota will score heavily over any other!!!
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:53   #32
BHPian

I have picked Carnival, in the voting as well as in my buying process. The very fact that the name made it to the voting list ( and not relegated to "Others") implies its significant presence.
I had evaluated the Tuscon after the Carnival test ride and would have gone for it, if not for the rear fuel line hump ( uncharacterstic of Hyundais ).
Crysta/Fortuner being overpriced and not offering features argument has already been beaten to death, not making them VFM.
VW/Skoda make cars that are engineering marvels but their mechanical reliablity and ASS reliability ( long term or short term ) is always a hit or miss. Believe you me when I say I love my Rapid but HATE Skoda!
I would have picked up Alturas G4 just for the interiors, but Ssangyong being sold off to a local South Korean consortium put paid to that idea.
That leaves Hyundai/Kia who are the in-betweens. Not as good as Skoda/VW, but decently engineered. Not as good as a Toyota in reliability but pretty good. The Tucson and Carnival especially have a visibly good build and the Diesel mills are pretty responsive and Frugal ( for their respective sizes ).
Most of the Carnival owners I coresponded with have not had any underbody scrappages till date, touchwood.

So the Carnival it is for me,except for the niggle that the 4th Gen MIGHT be introduced albeit kia maintaining complete radio silence. But if you are planning to hold on to the car for a longer time, the facelifts may not matter.
careind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:58   #33
BHPian

Voted for fortuner.

Imagine driving on a highway and your gearbox refuses to work. No matter how much the goodwill repair and ASC/RSA is going to help, my vacation will be ruined, my family's safety compromised, and my vehicle put out of action for 4-8 weeks until the "imported" parts arrive.

Now imagine that your vehicle is indestructible. A whole new level of feeling of being invincible takes over you. You can take deserted roads, cross that river, and go past any hurdle whatsoever. Ladies and gentlemen, you don't have to imagine too much for this, just get a fortuner! Literally the most reliable vehicle ever.
redohabitat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 13:11   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Not generalising, but most people in the budget of 40 to 50 lakhs wouldn’t think about XUV700 though it is more VFM. Reason might be many based on individuals. If I am in this budget I would put my money on Tiguan, Kodiaq or even X1 - definitely wouldn’t even consider XUV700 as my reason would be not to spend that much money on Mahindra, though it is a very good car.
That’s where from the poll perspective we have Others, as there will be few others too who though they can easily afford any of these cars still go ahead with XUV700 for the value it offers.

Well depends on individual tastes, for someone like me clean European lines itself is a pull. I see Tiguan and Kodiaq much better looking than Fortuner. Similarly I find Compass and current Tucson good looking (though new Tucson from the pictures atleast looks like a satellite )
Agree on the reliability part though

That would be my pick too with this approximate budget, though outside of this category.
True

XUV700, safari, etc are VFM cars but people spending around 45-50+ will look for exclusivity along with other things and not only VFM factor. Also, XUV700, Safari have a large price brand range which puts them accessible to even lower price segments. Though this can be a good thing when you look from one angle, it plays the exact opposite role when customers start looking for a differentiator/ exclusivity angle.
Old 3rd February 2022, 13:25   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Not generalising, but most people in the budget of 40 to 50 lakhs wouldn’t think about XUV700 though it is more VFM. Reason might be many based on individuals. If I am in this budget I would put my money on Tiguan, Kodiaq or even X1 - definitely wouldn’t even consider XUV700 as my reason would be not to spend that much money on Mahindra, though it is a very good car.
That’s where from the poll perspective we have Others, as there will be few others too who though they can easily afford any of these cars still go ahead with XUV700 for the value it offers.

Well depends on individual tastes, for someone like me clean European lines itself is a pull. I see Tiguan and Kodiaq much better looking than Fortuner. Similarly I find Compass and current Tucson good looking (though new Tucson from the pictures atleast looks like a satellite )
Agree on the reliability part though

That would be my pick too with this approximate budget, though outside of this category.
Looks are pretty subjective. Most see Harrier twins and Hectors twins as quite good and quite clean if not as clean as Europeans. XUV700 I will leave for its polarizing looks.

Fortuner too expensive, other barring Carnival are not big enough for price. All options listed come at lower priced most of the other countries meaning there is definitely a trend where these manufacturers want to milk Indian customer. If only they reduce their price, many more customers will happily opt for them but that is how our market is currently. I see these foreign manufacturers will only learn their ways when Tata/Mahindra will rapidly going up the value chain.
Old 3rd February 2022, 13:42   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redohabitat View Post
Voted for fortuner.

Now imagine that your vehicle is indestructible. A whole new level of feeling of being invincible takes over you. You can take deserted roads, cross that river, and go past any hurdle whatsoever. Ladies and gentlemen, you don't have to imagine too much for this, just get a fortuner! Literally the most reliable vehicle ever.
Imagine this! Driving a vehicle, knowing that all parts would work as expected.
Nothing but Japs can provide that feeling. As a matter of fact, while buying my Bike, I was getting a Ducati Multistrada 1200 for approx the same price as my CBU Ninja 1000. Went for the 1000 simply because of the peace its younger sibling the Ninja 650 had given on my travels across India.. 3 years, 90K km not a single time did it behave anything other than how it is supposed to.

I'd buy a Toyota/Honda/Even a Mitsu simply because I prefer to have the
drama on trips outside the vehicles
Old 3rd February 2022, 13:55   #37
BHPian

One cannot ignore sheer practicality of Diesel motor in the segment. Most of the purchases are meant to be driven hard and over long distances. This where cost of maintenance & reliability aspect is to be considered. Going by cost vs value offering though Fortuner is on higher spectrum but it delivers on what is expected out of it. Sales number do reflect the sentiment.

On other hand Kodiaq offers more than what Fortuner offers but it's achilles heel is the fuel inefficient petrol only motor. An hybrid at current pricing would have made it a very a good offering. Service is freaking lot to be desired for. Recently switched from VW to Skoda. To get things done across different service centers needs a push & shove. Not satisfied with service aspect for the money i paid.

If Mahindra can deliver enough 700 then it is fantastic until then it's like C5 with limited production. One can bring a fantastic vehicle in the market but if it's not able to cater to the demand then what's the point here? Mahindra always has been sketchy reliability with their first gen products. It's too early to take the call on this.

Kia carnival is another offering that is a generation old now. International version is yet to make inroads in the indian market. Sheer size vs practicality on a day to day use in our traffic conditions is not everyone cup of tea. It's like driving a LIMO on our congested roads with tight parking spaces doesn't justify everyday use.

Tiguan, i am not sure what was VW thinking here. Happen to check one out yesterday. Ok there is only Highline version and it doesn't have co-driver power seat. According to SA beige interiors are completely removed. Though not everyone like it beige does lift the premium quotient. There are other cost cutting too. Looking at steering wheel and other parts doesn't feel any further upmarket than sibling Taigun. Spare wheel is also a space saver. Didn't return impressed. Last year when the discount were going on. it was on the top of list and i almost got it home, but now i would rather prefer C5 over Tiguan.

Finally boils down to the pick. It's Fortuner vs XUV700 VS C5. Though choice head vs head here between Fortuner & XUV700. Both are very well competent cars in their own right, went with XUV700 as you get what you paid for vs premium that Toyota is commanding for reliability.

Last edited by CircleOfLife : 3rd February 2022 at 14:01.
Old 3rd February 2022, 14:01   #38
AYP
Senior - BHPian

If the Kodiaq had a diesel, even in the 150 PS tune, my vote would have gone to it. In the absence of a diesel, the Fortuner it is for me.

Though the upcoming diesel powered Jeep Meridian might get my vote in the next poll.
Old 3rd February 2022, 14:02   #39
BHPian

Currently own the 3.2 Litre Endeavour and am enjoying it to the fullest. If I were to replace it, I guess the Kodiaq would be the closest I can get to what I am enjoying now. Not a big fan of the Fortuner right from the start. So voted Kodiaq
Old 3rd February 2022, 14:03   #40
BHPian

Voted for Tiguan for its VFM aspect. Comparing the same with Kodiaq Sportline trim,
1. Sure it misses out on electric passenger seat, but you can still adjust that manually in Tiguan
2. Speakers competition is 12 vs 8, trust me it only makes a difference in the rear seat
3. Park assist system - is a gimmick (tell me I am wrong)

For what matters that you get in Tiguan and not Sportline trim of Kodiaq is
1. TPMS
2. Hill descent control

Where Kodiaq Sportline I believe really scores is -
1. Hear turner looks with those alloys
2. Wireless charger with Apple Car play and Android music
3. Those occasional 6th and 7th seats for 15 min drive

From the list, if I need 5 seater, its Tiguan and 7 seater - its Fortuner
Old 3rd February 2022, 14:13   #41
BHPian

Even though the Fortuner is overpriced, it has the road presence of a 40+ lakh car and has good reliability. I would have chosen the latest gen Carnival over this if it was available. Even the C5 aircross with its brilliant suspension is a good option. Kodiaq/Tiguan are small, unreliable and look bland compared to others. Gloster is like an Elephant with the pick up of an Elephant!
CarNerd is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 14:14   #42
Senior - BHPian

Strange results on the vote - the comments are more in favour of Fortuner but on vote Kodiaq is leading by significant margin.

And yes, I know the vote here doesnt signify the sales numbers :-)
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 15:17   #43
BHPian

Voted for others.
And my other choices are

1. Endeavour 3.2 or a 2.0 bi-turbo (If it is a ladder frame requirement).
2. Hyundai Tuscon (If it is a monocoque SUV requirement) for the overall package it offers.
3. Then the obvious X1 (if it is the driver inside of me)

Kia Carnival is an exception here. If it is a people mover that is required, then Carnival is the only choice.
Old 3rd February 2022, 15:42   #44
BHPian

Voted for Fortuner!

Nothing to beat it for sheer presence. That said, given the ever regular price increases it is not easy as before to justify the value prop and commit to the purchase. But for peace of mind in the long-term, this is the one I'd go for.
Old 3rd February 2022, 16:35   #45
BHPian

"Smooth petrol also available, if you want more refinement and / or are from Delhi-NCR"

The above line is from Fortuner's pro's, made me chuckle. Delhi-NCR people are like, from a different country. lol

Anyway, voted for the Fortuner, have used the 1st gen, extensively, currently using the 2019 Endeavour and waiting for the delivery of my 2022 Kodiaq.

If someone is entering this segment for the first time, have to buy the Fortuner, hands down.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks