Kia Carnival 30 7.04%
Citroen C5 Aircross 23 5.40%
Other (please specify in your post) 28 6.57%
Voters: 426. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2022, 16:47   #46
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kodiaq vs VW Tiguan vs Toyota Fortuner vs MG Gloster vs others

The Kodiaq seems to be a better value proposition amongst a brute toyota with down market interiors, jarring ride, a soft Aircross which is more LHD than RHD, an MPV (cant compare here), a bland Tiguan (sans segment demanded creature comforts), a chinese reject (with questionable quality).

Skoda seem to have a winner here but they need to be transparent with customers about delivery etc.
@PetrolheadASH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 17:47   #47
BHPian

It seems I belong to the minority because I voted for the VW Tiguan. My reasons for doing so were simple; I don’t need a 7 seater. My perfect SUV should have AWD/4WD, good design, good build quality and road presence - in that order. I love the way the Tiguan looks - not flashy and completely under the radar, but solidly built like a German car and has the necessary AWD.
RedPhobos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 19:11   #48
BHPian

Voted for others.

Frankly, none of the options listed really appeal to me enough. As much as I love the VAG twins, the lack of a diesel seriously pulls them down. The Fortuner on the other hand is one beast of a truck with the 200HP and Toyota's reliability backing it up but it's not really as polished a product as I would've liked at the price point. I am smitten by the C5 and almost voted for it but the abysmal dealer network and the sheer laziness of Citroen scares me in the long term. The Kia and MG just don't cut it for me(won't go into the specifics).

I would rather get the top of the line XUV7OO just for the sheer value it offers and live with a car from a lower segment, otherwise I believe stretching for a BMW 330i Sport will be the wiser choice and my pick.

Last edited by porsche_guy : 3rd February 2022 at 19:16.
porsche_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 19:43   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Mods; in the opening post, both Kodiaq and Tiguan are shown to have the same power-to-weight and torque-to-weight ratios.

Kodiaq's values are correctly mentioned at 105 BHP/ton and 180 Nm/ton
Tiguan's correct figures are 110 BHP/ton and 188 Nm/ton

Skoda Kodiaq vs VW Tiguan vs Toyota Fortuner vs MG Gloster vs others-spec-comparision-tk.png

Meanwhile Toyota India doesn't offer kerb weights for the different variants of the Fortuner and only GVMs.

Toyota Australia provides the kerb weight of the Fortuner 4X4 AT (only spec available in Australia) between 2175 - 2190kgs (for the 3 variants GX, GXL and Crusade), Indian Fortuner 4X4 AT should have a figure anywhere between the Australian values. Taking an average of 2182.5kgs the 4X4 AT should've a power-to-weight ratio of 92 BHP/ton and torque-to-weight ratio of 229 Nm/ton.

Fortuner 4X4 AT Specifications Australia
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 20:44   #50
Team-BHP Support

At the outset, I would love for this vote to be refreshed after two key launches: the Jeep Meridian and the Hyundai Tucson (assuming if the Tucson moves in nodding distance of Tiguan or C5 pricing in its 2022 iteration.

Strictly from the current list, if I “had to” buy a car, it would most likely be the Kodiaq that would get my money.

Having said that, the above is academic and is precisely the reason I’m not loosening the purse strings with the current crop of offerings and waiting for a few more launches. If this vote had happened after the launch of the Meridian and Tucson (and the Meridian launch comes in within the expected rumblings) my vote would hands down go to the Meridian.

The Kodiaq / Tiguan siblings are definitely going to have their work cut out once the Meridian launches what with it bringing in advantage diesel, with comparably luxurious interiors like the Skoda, strong brand pedigree that it has established and of course perhaps arguably more hard core 4x4 credentials, all of it packaged in a sophisticated monocoque offering.

I suspect by the end of the year this segment will have the following leaders:

The indomitable Fortuner leading the pack, with the Meridian and Tucson being strong podium finishers. The rest of them will pick up remaining scraps in my opinion.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 20:58   #51
BHPian

I picked the Kia Carnival. And I was surprised to find that there aren't many people who agree with me. Here is the argument.

1. Right off the bat, the Tiguan gets dropped because IMO the Kodiaq is the more practical, better looking of the two cousins. Plus the Sportline variant is simply too cool IMO!

2. Fortuner gets dropped on "general principle". IMO, the single most overrated, overpriced car this side of the German luxury cars. Pretty much any car has a better ride quality and although they did add some features with the facelift, it is just too darn expensive for what it is.

3. Citroen... If it were made in India, I would have a much tougher decision, but the price is just too high

4. Gloster... Nicely packaged car and easy on the eyes as well (unlike the Fortuner), but too many unknowns in terms of long-term ownership experience. That said, I would rate it slightly higher than the Skoda (which has KNOWN headaches down the line).

5. The Kodiaq gets knocked for only one reason... It is a Skoda! I owned a Laura before and while I didn't have any of the major headaches that many BHPians have reported in these pages, it was still a pain to own. If one could look past the ownership experience, then the Skoda wins easily.

6. The Kia Carnival actually seems like good value even though it is a generation older. It is huge, flexible and immensely practical. It doesn't look all that great but I actually like it more than the current generation which is on sale in other countries.
kovilkalai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 23:02   #52
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The voting in the post should have had “Innova Crysta” listed. Wonder why it was skipped.

Toyota legender (KL registered) couldn’t catch up with a 2.4 Zx crysta with a slightly upgraded tyre width for most part of Hyderabad-Bangalore highway. The fortuner just couldn’t handle the road curves well . The additional torque, 4x4 and power output of the Legender didn’t matter much on a flat curvy highway when compared to a Crysta fitted with same 6-speed auto.

The Crysta felt well planted and confidence inspiring in the curves and for some spirited highway driving with 3 adults on-board.

Trust me guys, one should do a back to back drive of Kodiaq and Crysta before you book one.

Crysta packs a punch when it comes to diesel practicality, VFM, decent driving dynamics with Toyota reliability. Just get some wider tyres on it.
niruvrs9669 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 01:30   #53
BHPian

Kodiaq gets my vote.

Never ever have guts to own a Skoda, but recently booked L&K in white.
Old 4th February 2022, 02:29   #54
BHPian

Voted for the Skoda Kodiaq here.

While it was a close call between the Kodiaq, Carnival and the Gloster for me as all three offer extremely different but very well packaged and tempting propositions.

The Fortuner is simply out of question. Having owned a Crysta for 4 years, I feel that it's floaty, noisy, the coveted captain seats are not comfortable and the interiors are just not special enough. Though the service costs, expected resale and the peace of mind that Toyota has offered is addictive, a Fortuner at double the price of a Crysta with the same plastics, even bumpier and floatier ride simply don't make the cut. In fact, the idea of owning a Fortuner is laughable for me.

The Citroen C5 would have been a decent choice had I not needed to go over 400 km for a single service and the Tiguan just doesn't feel as premium as the Kodiaq at a similar price with the same mechanicals.

The Gloster seems like the best of all worlds. Comfortable, feature-loaded, premium-looking interior, road presence and size but is led down by the engine and gearbox combination. Had it been better, it would be my top choice.

The Carnival was a love at the first TD affair for us. Has dollops of space, comfort, refinement and a potent engine as well but it soon becomes clear that the huge size, low GC and the puny spare wheel are going to let you down on Indian roads.

The Kodiaq seems to be the best comprise. Premium, powerful, feature-loaded as well with decent GC. Although long term reliability, a petrol-only range and almost useless 3rd row are chinks in its armour, it somehow still seems like the best bet out of all these cars.

Last edited by Shreyas Agarwal : 4th February 2022 at 02:36.
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 03:56   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My favourite body-on-frame SUV from this segment has been discontinued (the fantastic Endeavour 3.2L). The Fortuner's ride is too bumpy for my tastes, and the Gloster is too soft.

There are three cars that truly impress me here. The Kodiaq, Carnival & C5 Aircross. I'd go with the Kodiaq because it is truly a well-rounded crossover that matches luxury SUVs from a segment or two above. Carnival would be choice no.2 if I needed to move a big family or needed that middle-row comfort. It's the only van I'd ever buy.

As things stand today, the Kodiaq gets my vote. The facelift is really something else.
The first time I applied to TeamBHP in around 2019 and answered Kodiaq to what is my Favourite car. My application was rejected hehe!
id8or-pratik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 11:57   #56
BHPian

Voted for Others:

I find upcoming Hyundai Tucson and Jeep Meredian are better bets than the current options.

Tucson will be more VFM compared to Kodiaq and Tiguan, solely because of diesel engine availability and third row comfort better in Tucson.

On other thoughts Jeep Meredian might turn out to be a better all-round car with Off-roading prowess and rough usage.
Old 4th February 2022, 16:14   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niruvrs9669 View Post
The voting in the post should have had “Innova Crysta” listed. Wonder why it was skipped.

Toyota legender (KL registered) couldn’t catch up with a 2.4 Zx crysta with a slightly upgraded tyre width for most part of Hyderabad-Bangalore highway. The fortuner just couldn’t handle the road curves well . The additional torque, 4x4 and power output of the Legender didn’t matter much on a flat curvy highway when compared to a Crysta fitted with same 6-speed auto.

The Crysta felt well planted and confidence inspiring in the curves and for some spirited highway driving with 3 adults on-board.

Trust me guys, one should do a back to back drive of Kodiaq and Crysta before you book one.

Crysta packs a punch when it comes to diesel practicality, VFM, decent driving dynamics with Toyota reliability. Just get some wider tyres on it.
Both are intended and marketed for different purpose. Yes seats 7, based on same hilux platform and gets similar interiors but that's where the story ends. Crysta 2.4 doesnot(2.8 was fantastic) have the power of 2.8 motor neither does it get 4x4 capabilities. Crysta is more comfortable and practical but If I am driving, I would anyday pickup the Fortuner over Crysta. Steering is more direct, the stiffer suspension is boon on highway and makes for good driving experience. If driving fast across corner is the need of the hour, then both are not the right cars, a soft roader like Kodiaq/C5 should be easy pick.

Fortuners ride is a bit bumpy especially at low speeds and never was its USP. However coming from Endeavour I can confidently say a tall body on frame SUV needs stiffer suspension. Take Endeavour/Gloster/Fortuner on back to back ride on highway and you will know what works best. Also I am surprised that in an enthusiasts forum, Fortuner's engine, which is best in business gets hardly any mention/credits. The 200HP motor is notch above 3.2L Endeavour.
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 23:34   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Also I am surprised that in an enthusiasts forum, Fortuner's engine, which is best in business gets hardly any mention/credits. The 200HP motor is notch above 3.2L Endeavour.
Lot of people still have the 2nd gen pre-facelift Fortuner (launched in India in 2017) in mind when comparing with the rivals, lesser features, utilitarian brown upholstery, no Apple CarPlay - Android Auto, no auto-dimming IRVM and how can we forget the bumpy ride.

The more powerful engine that came before will always take the credit and rightfully so, the 3.2L TDCi from Ford, had Toyota brought this 201hp 500Nm 2.8L at launch itself things would have surely been different.

Often the bumpy ride is blown out of proportion so much that the good bits of the car just don’t come out loud and clear. But all it takes is a drive in a 500Nm Fortuner to realise how much the 2021 model has improved over the pre-facelift 2nd gen 2017 Fortuner; be it NVH, suspension quality, steering feel, and how can we forget that stonker of an engine! I will add that the ride is no longer as bumpy like it used to be and is no longer a deal-breaker.

Solving one deal-breaker (the bumpy ride, still not the best if we’re going to compare it to a monocoque SUV) lead Toyota to create another one and that’s none another than the price! The price has gotten a bit too high in recent times, which can backfire on Toyota, where I being a Toyota customer for the last 16 years (8 years with an Innova and 3 days to reach 8 years with my Fortuner) is having to think a lot before spending such a huge amount on the new Fortuner as a replacement. I am already seeing signs of the Crysta slowly falling in terms of sales. Last month (December) was a straight 50% drop compared to the month before that. This month’s (January) sales figures for Toyota have also taken a tumble at 7000 odd units and I am pretty sure the Innova has taken that hit because it would usually be there in the top 25 cars sold in India every month, but both last month (December) and this month (January) it’s absent from the list.

Now unless the Hilux is the cause of the drop in Crysta numbers, Toyota is in deep trouble and will have to rethink their pricing strategy, because the Innova has been their bread-and-butter model for the last 16 years. One can only hope better sense prevails at TKM.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 4th February 2022 at 23:39.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 10:43   #59
BHPian

Not doubting the consensus on the forum on VW cars general unreliable nature.

What I am unable to fathom is, how is VW group able to sell millions of cars each year, be either the No.1 or 2 manufacture globally, if they are as unreliable being touted?

Surely I am missing something.

Last edited by Bhatt : 5th February 2022 at 11:13.
Old 5th February 2022, 13:18   #60
BHPian

I am looking to buy a vehicle in this segment this year - delayed already by 2 years because of COVID. As a serious buyer, I voted for kodiaq for many of it advantages. But..

After seeing all the chaos related to kodiaq now (poor planning and communication and more) and the silly price increase saga by them, I have lost a little confidence in Skoda though the product is still good. I am exploring the option of a used car from a segment above at the same price point. Also now seriously considering Meridien. Hope jeep learnt from this and will plan it all better. I'd think that there would be many folks who would think like me.

If Skoda can act quickly and get things moving, I think they have a great opportunity at hand.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks