Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:00   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
1&2. Engine and transmission changes definitely, but no idea about suspension
3. The car is already being exported, so I doubt this will have quality issues like the DICOR. Also most of quality issues on DICOR have not been engine related.
4. This time the Europeans are the guinea pigs, so people here are safer.

If I am reading this right, the feeling is that its not going to be a big risk if one plans to buy the 2.2.
Also the 2.2 launch may also impact the resale value of the 3.0s.
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:19   #17
Team-BHP Support

2009 is the time when new body comes out.
At that time Sumo/Safari/TL etc., all will need the 2.2l engine because if new emission norms.
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

Why is everyone bent upon the 2.2 when there is no certain news from the dealers also on the launch date.. Please dont drag this thread into another 2.2 discussion thread.

Godfather
Old 2nd July 2007, 18:39   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Why is everyone bent upon the 2.2 when there is no certain news from the dealers also on the launch date.. Please dont drag this thread into another 2.2 discussion thread.

Godfather
I totally agree! We have had 'enough' discussion on this and there's no point starting again.

As for my two cents - Buy the 3.0 DICOR. I don't quite trust the 2.2 or whatever furute beholds!
Old 2nd July 2007, 19:30   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I am thinking of buying the Safari, mainly for the following reasons:
1. I own an NHC 2004 and am very happy with it but for only 1 issue (Ground clearance). I need as high Ground Clearance as possible for monsoons, non-regular routes in Konkan.
2. I need some SUV that's reliable and inexpensive to maintain and has VERY GOOD suspentions.
3. Price as low as possible (I am being forced to buy another vehicle purely because there are many places and times wherein my NHC touches the road/takes beating in some other form...)

Looking at these criteria, would you recommend the Safari?
Is the engine reliable?
Everyone is talking about 2.2 vs 3.0.
Nobody is talking about Fiat engines (the multijets). If these are going to be put on Safari, i will be really stupid to buy a DICOR, right?
Old 2nd July 2007, 19:59   #21
BHPian

I haven't heard of the Multijet coming in to the Safari stable yet. Perhaps other on the forum can pitch in with their inputs.

From your requirements, I personally think 3.0 should do you good, unless you want to wait longer and want a costlier and even more powerful vehicle.
Old 2nd July 2007, 20:06   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Another choice you guys can help me evaluate:

How about Safari petrol?

Is the petrol engine much better and reliable than DICOR?

Will it turn out to be more economical in the long run than DICOR?

Any inputs on FE figures for both the engines?

And, BTW, who designed the petrol engine for Safari (I hope it's some reliable and known name in the world, not tatas themselves).

Please provides inputs on all the points urgently as this monsoon is taking toll on my NHC and I have to make a move ASAP.
Old 2nd July 2007, 23:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

The petrol gives 5 kmpl, so you need to own a petrol pump to justify buying one of those. And Tata makes darn reliable engines, or they wouldn't have just captured the call-centre and taxi market. It's one thing to sit and discuss such things, and a totally different thing to put your money down on something that provides your livelihood.
Old 2nd July 2007, 23:37   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Why is everyone bent upon the 2.2

Just you wait whenever that 2.2 comes out and I buy it

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Is the petrol engine much better and reliable than DICOR?

Will it turn out to be more economical in the long run than DICOR?

You seem to have some perception that the Dicor is unreliable. I've seen smaller petrol cars break down but not one Dicor Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
And Tata makes darn reliable engines..
Yup. They may not be the most refined, but they take you where you want to go without complaints
Old 3rd July 2007, 09:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Just you wait whenever that 2.2 comes out and I buy it
I am waiting for that day.. The day YOU buy a Dicor or a 2.2..

Godfather
Old 3rd July 2007, 11:31   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Looking at these criteria, would you recommend the Safari?
Is the engine reliable?
Everyone is talking about 2.2 vs 3.0.
Nobody is talking about Fiat engines (the multijets). If these are going to be put on Safari, i will be really stupid to buy a DICOR, right?
hey, i have been using safari for quite some time and now i just upgraded it to Dicor..its very good and reliable...go for it...do check out the Long term ownership threads from steer...it should give you quite a lot of info....

regarding 2.2, there are a few threads that here that have been doing rounds for a couple of years and still nobody knows exactly when it will be out...its better to go for 3.0 than wait for 2.2...but its your money...so you can decide...
Old 3rd July 2007, 17:11   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks.

What's the FE figure for DICOR 3.0?

And, I read on another thread that the accelrator and brake pedals are not at the same height. Accelrator is a little deep so if you want to brake, you can't just move your right foot towards left. You have to actually lift it, move to the left and then press the brake. These are certain "driving ergonimics" that I am worried of when it comes to tata (especially after being used to Honda).

The reason I am asking this on T-BHP is - I have booked a test drive with both the Tata dealers in Pune but none of them has called me back...now this is another issue...they don't care!
Old 3rd July 2007, 17:59   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And, I read on another thread that the accelrator and brake pedals are not at the same height. Accelrator is a little deep so if you want to brake, you can't just move your right foot towards left. You have to actually lift it, move to the left and then press the brake. These are certain "driving ergonimics" that I am worried of when it comes to tata (especially after being used to Honda).
Well get ready for a big change in driving ergonomics, especially if you have been driving a NHC. I test drove Safari a week back and I found that the clutch has a very long travel and the brakes are very spongy. There is nothing even remotely car like about it. Not sure if that is the case with all Safaris or it was just the TD vehicles.
Old 3rd July 2007, 19:19   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, that's what I am worried about.

NHC has AMAZING driving ergonomics and for SUV and high ground clrearance, all that is going to go away.

I drive my friend's Scorpio and it also badly suffers from spongy brakes and long travelling clutch. It atleast does not have accelrator and brake pedals at different depth!
Old 3rd July 2007, 20:53   #30
BHPian

If you can live with the small issues that safari posses you should go for it
reliabilty problems and silly things croping in is common though not in the first year mostly ,do keep in mind to take the extended warranty its a must for any tata vehicles ,other than this its a great vehicle for the prices it comes at

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks