Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2007, 14:02   #1
BHPian

Advise needed on buying Tata Safari

Hello All;

A special hello to Safari lovers.....

I am planning to buy Safari 3.0 next month or latest by August 07.

This is my first diesel venture, all thest days ( from 7years ) i am driving Omni & esteem. I have read all the threads in the forum & also outside the forum. As i have seen, there is no major issues except the small nigling ones. Also heard about the 2.2 version, but when i spoke to the close source who is associated with TATA, he says " Vehicle will be released in the next 3-4 months, but you will be a test driver for it. You need to wait minimum 1 year to buy a good 2.2 version".

I have test driven the vehicle, small rattling noises were there. But the dealers ( Prerana, Concorde ) were really very good. The first impression of the Tata people was good.

I request you people to guide me, whether i am taking a right decision or not of buy 3.0? or Should i wait for 2.2?

Request all to lend ur support.

Mods: If this thread needs to come somewhere else, please u can.

Regards
Deepak
Old 4th June 2007, 14:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

It is very simple
3.0 : Tried and tested, good discounts, lower price
2.2 : Better performance. Maybe better resale in future.

So if performance is your thing go for 2.2
If you find that the 3.0 performs adequately, go for 3.0 and while you are at it, push for a 20K cash discount too.
Old 4th June 2007, 16:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
2.2 : Better performance. Maybe better resale in future.
+ its expected to be slightly costlier than the 3.0, so if you have already extended your budget to plan on buying the 3.0, go for it now itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeepakk View Post
but when i spoke to the close source who is associated with TATA, he says " Vehicle will be released in the next 3-4 months, but you will be a test driver for it. You need to wait minimum 1 year to buy a good 2.2 version".
and then TATA will present the Safari X2 for you to test , that the way automobile market is emerging.

Last edited by dadu : 4th June 2007 at 17:02.
Old 4th June 2007, 19:38   #4
BHPian

Just did a shorty test drive of the Safari EX - 4x4 (4x4 features not tested). Did a short run of 15 mins. My feedback:

I currently drive an Indica so all comparisons should be taken accordingly.

+ Very good seating position
+ Very good visibility
+ Interior plastics looks much better than Indica/go
+ Air con is good.
+ Simply eats up potholes.
+ If you drive on the highways you are the King!

- A,B,C all are very much truck like.
- The gear shift is worse than Indica/go with long throw
- Difficult to [FONT=Arial]Manoeuvre [/FONT]in low speed
Old 6th June 2007, 13:17   #5
BHPian

Very disappointing.....I expected more responses...

anyway thanks for people who have helped me.....
Old 6th June 2007, 15:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeepakk View Post
Very disappointing.....I expected more responses...

anyway thanks for people who have helped me.....
One of the reasons that you didn't get a lot of response is because its a so obvious. Like Tanveer mentioned, go for 3.0 if you want reliability.
Old 6th June 2007, 16:20   #7
BHPian

inho, dont go for the safari at all....man its gonna ruin ur life...goin for a scorpio or an innova instead..suv scorpio...mpv innova...go for the safari if u are really willing to visit the service station every week...precpared to get stranded on moonlit highways...face embarrrasing situations in front of ur wife or galfrend....man i used to have 2 safaries one dicor and one old one non-dicor...sold them after learning that they are meant to be crushed and trashed after using for 1 year or so..btw the older one was a second hand buy...now i have slod off both...now own own a city zx and santro xing..
Old 6th June 2007, 16:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Deepakk, apart from what Hondadude says, one of the other reasons for a low response is - this subject (2.2 vs 3.0) has been extensively discussed on a number of threads.

I think you'll have your answer if you go through those threads.....really, all has been said!

To add my two cents - go for the existing 3 litre Dicor!
Old 26th June 2007, 12:36   #9
BHPian

Deepak, i feel its better you go with 3.0. As i spoke with the prerana guys they said that they themselves are not sure, and there won't be any for the next 6 months. Also its always better to go in for something tested than being a tester urself. i am getting mine in a couple of days and i have already posted the deal i got for my LX version. I will post my experience with the Prerana motors once i get the delivery and also if there were any problems. Till now i am satisfied with the way Prerana has handled very well.
Old 26th June 2007, 15:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishesh View Post
inho, dont go for the safari at all....man its gonna ruin ur life...goin for a scorpio or an innova instead..suv scorpio...mpv innova...go for the safari if u are really willing to visit the service station every week...precpared to get stranded on moonlit highways...face embarrrasing situations in front of ur wife or galfrend....man i used to have 2 safaries one dicor and one old one non-dicor...sold them after learning that they are meant to be crushed and trashed after using for 1 year or so..btw the older one was a second hand buy...now i have slod off both...now own own a city zx and santro xing..

Hey Vishesh are you exaggerating or did it really give you so much pain? As many in this forum are evaluating the Safari, it would be in everyone's interest if you can detail your experience with the BEAST.

Also if you were fed up with one SAFARI what made you buy another one??
Old 26th June 2007, 16:17   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishesh View Post
looks like you are having all the problems that in just the safari you had.
you should have contacted steer or other senior members on this thread, if the problems were really so much.
Though, my experience was totally different, i had a TCIC safari, second hand, still served me good, no problem, had been to quite a lot of long trips...not much of servicing also...other than regular check up...sold it not just to upgrade to dicor for more engine power and nothing else...i have tried scorpio as well, but as my opinion goes i felt more comfortable in safari than a scorpio.
Old 26th June 2007, 16:20   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Hey Vishesh are you exaggerating or did it really give you so much pain? As many in this forum are evaluating the Safari, it would be in everyone's interest if you can detail your experience with the BEAST.

Also if you were fed up with one SAFARI what made you buy another one??
yes, i agree with xbox360, i think you should have opted for something else, obviously as u suggest, a scorpio or innova. What made you go for the safari again?
Old 2nd July 2007, 10:52   #13
BHPian

Novice question but i think this is must to assess the risk associated with this new vehicle ---
1) Does the 2.2 supposedly have a bunch of upgrades or just the newer engine?
2) When the engine gets changed will it call for a host of other things like transmission, suspension etc to be upgraded as well?
3) If the engine is being done by some European firm (i read this somewhere) and not TATA inhouse, is there still a major risk of quality and Beta testing associated with this?
4) Also i read that TATA routinely update older vehicles to fix common issues, is there a reason this may not work well with the 2.2?
Old 2nd July 2007, 11:02   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Novice question but i think this is must to assess the risk associated with this new vehicle ---
1) Does the 2.2 supposedly have a bunch of upgrades or just the newer engine?
2) When the engine gets changed will it call for a host of other things like transmission, suspension etc to be upgraded as well?
3) If the engine is being done by some European firm (i read this somewhere) and not TATA inhouse, is there still a major risk of quality and Beta testing associated with this?
4) Also i read that TATA routinely update older vehicles to fix common issues, is there a reason this may not work well with the 2.2?
1&2. Engine and transmission changes definitely, but no idea about suspension
3. The car is already being exported, so I doubt this will have quality issues like the DICOR. Also most of quality issues on DICOR have not been engine related.
4. This time the Europeans are the guinea pigs, so people here are safer.
Old 2nd July 2007, 11:13   #15
Team-BHP Support

hmm so the 2.2L is gonna come on the old body shape then they will launch something called the X2 with a new body but the 2.2L engine? am i right in understanding this?

In that case the 3L is a safer bet as teh 2.2L intermediate model will only be like a stop gap arrangement. try the engine on the old body and then put in the new body.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks