Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2022, 14:06   #16
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) vs Skoda Kushaq 1.0 Ambition

My pick would be XUV 3OO (diesel manual). It is built on a proven platform from Ssangyong and it shows in the build quality, driving dynamics etc. It’s also 5 star GNCAP rated, gets all the necessary features, all disc brakes etc. My friend who owns XUV 3OO is completely satisfied with the purchase and after sales.
Kushaq on the other hand is built on a low cost variant of VW MQB A0 platform and as seen in Team-BHP threads, the overall fit and finish, build quality etc is poor. There are QC issues, no NCAP rating and Skoda after sales horror stories etc goes against recommending it. For. XUV 3OO, if you manage to get some discounts then it becomes even more value for money.
Old 7th February 2022, 17:02   #17

Being a XUV3OO petrol owner for past 3 years and having driven Kushaq as well, I feel both are equally fun to drive.
Mahindra's Service costs are ridiculously low compared to Hyundai and Maruti (I am sure same with VW as well).
In the end go for the one which your heart is set on after driving both back to back!
Rekjavik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 23:58   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear View Post
Hi Everyone,

Need advice in buying my next car.
My requirements:
1. Fun to drive Petrol turbo-manual
2. Good handling and driving dynamics
3. Comfortable and safe
4. Budget: 10-15 Lakhs
5. Good after sales service experience

Initially I decided for Polo. I went to the dealer but was informed by the dealership that Polo is not getting produced now. And they have no idea if it’s going to resume anymore.

So I started looking for XUV300, Kushaq and Taigun.
VW dealer was more interested in selling me automatic version and even couldn’t arrange the manual for test drive. However I drove Taigun and Kushaq both on same day. I felt Taigun’s suspension is more sportier than the other sibling. And in my budget , only mid variant of both the cars were possible. And frankly Kushaq Mid variant has lot more usable features than Taigun mid variant.
XUV300 is good overall. I have couple of doubts in 300. One being how good the car is to drive after 4-5 years. Is there any decrement in performance and comfort. How’s the after sales service. Second being how good is it if compared with Kushaq on the basis of Electronic Safety features such as EDS, XDS , MSR, ARP etc..

Please help me decide.

Hi buzzlightyear,

I was going through some threads and saw the heading "XUV300 vs Kushaq", and realized wow this was me a couple months ago.
I immediately clicked and thought of replying to you which could be helpful in making your decision.

My comparison is between XUV300 W8(o) Petrol AMT vs Kushaq Ambition AT.
I was clear that my next car will be an Auto-trans car, as I have already experienced the pain of shifting gears in heavy traffic and my knees don't take it anymore, plus it will also be convenient for my wife to drive.

Here are my key observations in both vehicles.

Key Specs and features of XUV300 which are better/missing in Kushaq:

->1.2 L turbo petrol vs 1.0 L turbo
-> 17 Kmpl vs 15.4 kmpl ARAI Mileage
-> 5 Star Safety Rating vs not tested yet.
-> 7 Airbags vs 2 Airbags
-> Front and rear disc brakes vs Front Disk & Rear Drum in Kushaq
-> Dual Zone Climate control vs Single Zone Climate control
-> TPMS vs None in Kushaq
-> Connected Car tech better than Kushaq (it offers remote start with mobile app)
-> Voice commands for Park Assist vs Okayish rear camera and parking sensor in Kushaq.
-> Auto headlamps vs none.
-> Sunroof in top spec vs No Sunroof in mid Spec of Kushaq
-> 215/55/R17 Alloy wheels vs 205/60/R16 Alloy wheels
-> Push button Engine start stop
-> Bigger service network compared to Skoda

Now features & Specs of Kushaq which are better/missing in XUV300
-> Engine is small but has slightly higher BHP 113 vs 108 of XUV300, Also peak torque is achieved at lower RPM.
-> Torque converter vs AMT gearbox (Gearshift are really smooth in Kushaq comared to XUV300, as its AMT so its jerky)
-> 50L of fuel tank vs 42 L in XUV300.
-> Traction Control vs None in XUV300
-> Electronic Diff Lock vs none in XUV300
-> Tilt and Telescopic Steering wheel vs none
-> 385 L of boot space vs 259 L in XUV300 (its a deal breaker for most of the people)
-> 2651 mm of wheel base vs 2600 mm in XUV300 which offers a slightly better leg room in rear seat.
-> better infotainment system and Speakers compared to XUV300
-> Rear AC vents and USB type C charger (which is more useful compared to Dual Zone AC)
-> Wireless Android Auto vs Wired in XUV300
-> 4 Year Standard warranty vs 3 Year in XUV300
-> Very professional Dealership experience in Skoda compared to Mahindra
-> Lesser wait period in Kushaq depending on your city.

These are my personal observation you can compare them by yourself online.
So if see them closely XUV300 offers a slightly better deal on papers when you compared those specs.
But now coming to drivability, I have tested both cars on same track, and Skoda Kushaq did the job very well for me.
It won majorly in Autoshift of gears which was smooth compared to AMT, and one another thing which finalized my decision, I took both cars uphill on a track full of pot holes and gravels.
XUV300 performed poorly, there was absolutely no co-ordination between Engine & AMT gearbox and vehicle was loosing ground hold due to lack of tracking control. I literally felt underconfident driving this vehicle.
Whereas Skoda Kushaq did the job for me like a "Pro", 1.0 TSI Engine felt no shorter in power to lift the vehicle up hill, and along with Hill Hold Assist + ESP + Traction Control + Electronic Diff Lock, driving the vehicle was like piece of cake.
That's it, I was done with my decision paying an extra 1 lakh was totally worth it, I got really good year end deals and great advisory from the SA of Skoda Dealership.
Coming to safety, both cars are solid built, you can feel that yourself.
One car is tested but other has good & useful safety features.

I hope this helps, and you buy a perfect car for yourself.
All the best!! and if you have any questions, please feel free to connect.
Kaus2002 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 00:21   #19

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Hello buzzlightyear - I underwent the exactly same dilemma. I was sold on the XUV300 but bought the Kushaq. You can read my initial ownership thread. I had a hard stop for my budget at 15 Lakhs.

Overall as you can see, both are quite close in most aspects. XUV 300 W8 OPT MT Petrol is One Lakh cheaper than than Kushaq 1.0 TSI Ambition MT which suggests Kushaq is priced a little high and XUV300 is better VFM package. Please test drive back to back and decide.
Thanks a lot. I think you are relating to my problem quite well here. I did drive both of them back to back on the same roads. I felt the balance and ride quality in Kushaq a little better than XUV 300. But I made another mistake. I drove the 1.5 Kushaq as well. . Now I’m even more confused. I’m thinking of stretching my budget for the 1.5 litre beast. I know it’s exceeding my budget my 4.5-5 lakhs. And it’s huge money. But the engine is out of the league. And also, another thing dawned into my mind: This could be the last Petrol/Diesel car that I can buy in India for myself because I’m pretty sure EVs will be mainstream in next 7-8 years.

PS: Still confused. Multiple test drives done. Now 1.5 Kushaq added to decision list as well.

Last edited by Sheel : 8th February 2022 at 17:21. Reason: Mod note attached.
buzzlightyear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 12:51   #20
BHPian

I suggest to go for XUV 300 Diesel as compared to Kushaq:

Reasons to go for XUV 300:
1) Safety (5 Star Rating)
2) Fun to Drive Factor
3) Vehicle Feels planted on the Road at high speeds.
4) Diesel Engine is a gem
5) In terms of Electronics, Mahindra has improved a lot (I am not aware of such issues in XUV 300)

Regarding Mahindra service, I suggest to interact with the customers by visiting your nearest service centre.

Reasons to not consider Kushaq:
I feel Kushaq has its own set of problems and appears to be a partially baked product :
1) Serious rattle issues reported by owners
2) Fuel pump issue reported by majority of owners. Even after updating the product the issue is not resolved.

Kushaq may feel premium as compared to XUV300 but aforesaid issues in Kushaq are serious and in today's busy life no one has got time to do the repeated visits to the service station so better select a proven product.

So I would have selected XUV 300 among these Two.
Apex1815 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 16:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I think you are relating to my problem quite well here. This could be the last Petrol/Diesel car that I can buy in India for myself because I’m pretty sure EVs will be mainstream in next 7-8 years.

PS: Still confused. Multiple test drives done. Now 1.5 Kushaq added to decision list as well.
Bro if you are willing to spend that much then you can try Harrier as well. It is a much better product than both of them. If you are still doing test drives, why don’t test this one as well?

I don’t mean to add more to your confusion but if you are willing to spend more than 20 lakhs and you are looking for a safe and successful product, then Tata Harrier should also be considered, It’s above all

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th February 2022 at 17:24. Reason: Please quote only relevant bit. Thanks
Kaus2002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 14:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My requirements:
1. Fun to drive Petrol turbo-manual
2. Good handling and driving dynamics
3. Comfortable and safe
4. Budget: 10-15 Lakhs
5. Good after sales service experience
Especially for an absolute wonderful balance between comfort and control, consider the Nissan Kicks 1.3 Turbo. It is very well priced for what it offers. It didn't work for me as I was focused on 2 litre diesel engines. It could be like getting a Compass Petrol on a budget, and with more space.

Have shared an elaborate drive experience on my Choosing an SUV thread. Though I suggest reading the whole post, sharing a small part - the summary - below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
[Nissan Kicks 1.3 Turbo Petrol – Summary
(please bear in mind the compromised nature of the test drive as elaborated in the full report)
  • Well worked out practical cabin setup. Decent ergonomics. Impressive headroom on the rear bench.
  • Practical size for the city. More spacious than Compass etc. Lowish top of windscreen height. High enough top of window, especially at the rear.
  • Enjoyable Hydraulic steering. Good feel. Enthusiasts could appreciate this dying tribe; typical buyer might find it ‘heavy’, especially if used to a light EPS.
  • Excellent suspension-chassis setup. Appears good enough to take a way more powerful engine.
  • Suspension-chassis-steering setup should feel very good for city, highway drives and even hills. Good comfort and control.
  • Engine, a big let-down for me. Doesn’t do justice to the overall enthusiast setup. Didn’t feel practical either (for sheer practicality the 1.5NA just might be better).
  • The immensely peaky spread of torque (power) and it coming at a high rpm was bothersome for regular use. Suitable power came late for a turbo (around 3-3.5k RPM), and it was noisy then. The engine and it’s tuning didn’t agree with me.
  • The high rpm engine noise and traffic noise was bothersome, however it didn’t feel harsh.
  • If you find the engine to your taste, it just might be the car you missed out considering, especially if you enjoyed the Jeep Compass Petrol for it’s driving manners and didn’t want to spend for it. (Note: I make the Jeep Compass remarks based on paper specs of the petrol model and having tried out the Compass Diesel on long test drives, so please consider opinions accordingly.)
Please share your thoughts.

PS: In case you've directly landed on this post, reports and summaries of other SUVs in the segment are here.
Please ensure proper tyre pressure on your TD car, and I hope you find a well serviced one.

Last edited by Poitive : 18th February 2022 at 14:49. Reason: Refinement
Old 18th February 2022, 15:31   #23
BHPian

Skoda owner for the past 12yrs, If you like peace of mind, stay away from Skoda. Thats it. They had 12 yrs to improve ASS, till date I do not know what surprise will I get in the bill. Same story in Delhi, Gurgaon and Bangalore.

Choice is yours, decide well.
BNG-motorhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 15:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Both are great options and I think you need to choose basis the higher priority :-

-- Fun to drive - I'd choose the Kushaq. You will enjoy the 1.0 TSI more than the Mahindra 1.2, apart from the overall dynamics.

-- Want more features - Go with the Mahindra. There is feel good factor of having the top trim with all the features and gadgetry that you tend to appreciate over time.

The only other negative I see in the XUV300 is that excuse of a boot which I assume does not matter to you based on your requirements.

Dealership experience I have learnt is a very location specific thing - Get some feedback of the Skoda & Mahindra dealers in your city. Maintenance cost will definitely be lower with the Mahindra in the long run.

Quote:
XUV300 is good overall. I have couple of doubts in 300. One being how good the car is to drive after 4-5 years. Is there any decrement in performance and comfort. How’s the after sales service. Second being how good is it if compared with Kushaq on the basis of Electronic Safety features such as EDS, XDS , MSR, ARP etc...
All of the above are part of the ESP system and I wouldn't call them big differentiators. You can think of these functions as an enhanced traction control, but since both cars get ESP, you can choose either.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 18th February 2022 at 15:51.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 19:45   #25
BHPian

Only car that matches the Polo in terms of driving dynamics is the Altroz Turbo petrol, if you want to go csuv way, buy the XUV 300 rather than Skoda, Skoda is poor man's Audi, just like the performance, maintaining them after 5 years is like babying an elephant. Nexon couldn't be considered due to it's higher ground clearance than 300, body roll is on the higher side while doing sprited driving and torque is also lower than 300. Rest of the lot are not safe for recommendation(sonet,venue etc).

Handling review.
Old 15th January 2023, 19:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Just managed to drive a Kushaq MT and XUV300 petrol MT on a same stretch, same direction for 5 kms. Both cars were near 10000 km mark.

Engine-wise : I think there is a very strong perception that there is nothing in the world like the VAG 1.0. I found that the VAG is not among the most refined (not rough though) and its not silk like the Maruti K series (not sure if its an irrelevant NA reference). Though VAG is slightly faster revving, XUV300 feels linear (not lethargic) in its approach. Both are very capable engines (VAG slightly more noisier) in the pull / acceleration. VAGs gear holding capability seemed higher than the XUV. Didn't stretch beyond 4000 rpm (not aggressively but gradual) in either and that's more real world to majority masses. XUV has more smoother pull overall (maybe its more silent) and the 200 NM torque can be really felt. I am sure the TGDI 230nm torque will be a very strong puller. I don't think the Kushaq can be termed superior in any way engine-wise in this comparison. Yes, its the most superior 1.0 L turbo, but the competition here is a 1.2L. Gear lever as well as throws feel shorter in Kushaq and longer in XUV but both are sure slotting with lighter clutches.

Rear comfort : While shoulder width is superior in the XUV, the Kushaq has much better recline, underthigh support and leg room. Kushaq seat base is an inch longer than than the XUV and it really makes a difference. There is surely space for passengers to move their legs better in the Kushaq. For a single family car, the Kushaq will keep all happy. The larger rear window glasshouse provides a much superior view in the Kushaq and is definitely a better experience.

Interiors : Skoda feels modern design but average quality. XUV feels really old design but better built. Info cluster of Kushaq is very mediocre in both analog and digital forms. Its really historic. Some have reported XUV instrumentation colors to be cheesy. I think its superior and smart looking. The color options are great to let everyone customize per their liking. The rest of the dashboard design looks better in the Kushaq surely by a large margin. Didnt try the ICE features but assume both have wired ACP and AA. Sound quality was slightly more pleasing in the Kushaq.

The Leatherette of XUV is more comfortable than the Kushaq. Kushaq felt relatively harder. I am not buying the better for back story here. Definitely XUV is better quality but that white will dirty itself no matter what you do. Mandate yourself a 6-12 monthly seat cleaning to keep the color intact.

Build quality and suspension :
XUV feels really good built than the Kushaq and everything feels solid (also maybe as one does not expect a 4m car to be built this way). Though somehow the rear hatch door felt lighter in the XUV (maybe it is smaller than Kushaq). Door thuds are better on the Kushaq. Paint on Kushaq seemed like a better job. On a new concrete road with tar imperfections not cleaned up like is the case in most city roads, the XUV drove much superior than the Kushaq. Same on flyover bridge joints. The Skoda can be better corner craving (like everything says when you say it feels slightly stiff) but the urban life is surely better in the XUV. The XUV really rides like a big car in terms of quality. Composure was better in the XUV. No two ways here. Didnt try any hard cornering. Ground clearance was decent in both. Not that Kushaq is bad, but at one place with a really very tall hump, the Kushaq underbody touched slightly where the XUV just crossed with uplomp at the same speed. Maybe due to shorter length.

Couldn't test the AC but both worked in the afternoon decently and didn't manage to focus on it. For boot space, see it to make your judgement if you can live with it in the XUV300.

ON W8(O) vs Ambition, both seem to priced nearly identical factoring the discounts on the Kushaq on 2022 stock.

Mahindra should offer a XUV400 with 1.2 TGDI ICE and maybe a new look dashboard like the Compass did with the facelift. With these two changes, it really would be the pick over anything else.

Last edited by dipen : 15th January 2023 at 19:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks