Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2022, 09:25   #31
BHPian

Re: Want to buy a 45 - 50 lakh SUV | How to get rid of the middle class guilt?

I am glad to learn that you love your Polo so much and not planning to sell it. That's how much I am attached to my Polo as well, will never ever sell it no matter what.

Why to feel guilty about middle class ?? You say resources are no problem, which means you are definitely not middle class. Also, you love the Fortuner, so just go with what your heart says and make everlasting memories with that car. I just keep things this simple in life

To each his own, but trust me, when we took the decision to buy our first family car, I had literally not shortlisted or made any extensive comparisons or posted threads here. Since day one, way back in Feb 2010 when Polo was first launched in India, my heart was always set on this lovely car after doing some basic research and going through our classy Team BHP review on it. That's it, even after 7 years of its launch, in 2017 February, we went ahead and bought the Polo without even looking at any other latest car. This I think is true love and my love grows for my car every single moment. 1,24,377 kms completed in 5 years on this 1.2 MPFI petrol Comfortline model. Fully contented, no complaints. Already knew its shortcomings but that has not disturbed me one bit. Not even teeny winy bit.

Go ahead man, go buy Fortuner

Last edited by vivek95 : 4th February 2022 at 09:26.
vivek95 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 09:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
I am glad to learn that you love your Polo so much and not planning to sell it. That's how much I am attached to my Polo as well, will never ever sell it no matter what.
My Polo is one of the oldest in the forum. I also had a buying experience like yours. No other car was even considered. After 1L Km and 12 years, the car has matured like old wine. Still I stand and admire its well proportioned design. Very basic features, no jazz but classy even after a decade.

To be very honest, I am not that bowled over by Fortuner like I was with Polo. But as I mentioned, I found it the only the best suited option considering a variety of reasons.

One major concern for me is the poor ride quality of Fortuner as many pointed out. Polo also had a ride on the harsher side. I would have preferred some thing more plush. I have not driven 2021 facelift Fortuner. Planning to make extensive test drives in the coming days once Covid subsides. Jeep Meridian and Kia Carnival 2022 also I may consider before making the final decision. At least this may lead to some softening of Fortuner prices.
poloman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 09:50   #33
Senior - BHPian

You could also consider the Hilux. It is more legendary than even the Fortuner and known well over. The Fortuner is more of an asia specific model I think but not sure of this. You could probably save 10 -15 lakhs over the SUV if initial reports are to be believed. So that is less guilt for you. But if you have the moolah and heart is set on the Fortuner I would say go for it. Do wait till you see the Hilux in the flesh and then decide.

Good Luck with your decision.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 09:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

I think you are asking the wrong bunch for advice . I am with everyone else here, if you have the financial affordability then get over the value for money mindset and just take the plunge. Fortuner maybe expensive but certainly has a the image, quality which last you 15years easy or beyond. You might get bored before the car gives up.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 09:55   #35
Senior - BHPian

Read this and convince yourself: https://www.team-bhp.com/advice/how-...rk-out-cheaper

Depreciation is the intangible in car ownership. A well maintained Fortuner should easily last you over a decade.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 10:01   #36
BHPian

Same as what others pointed out. If you are unlikely to get into financial trouble by spending close to 45 lakh on road, go for it by all means. Do also set aside 1% to 3% of car value for maintenance as it ages as well consider insurance and other mandatory expenses.

Another way to look at it is if you spending <25% of your annual take home on your car ( can stretch upto 50% if needed and will maintain the car for next 7 or more years) or if you spending <10% of your savings and expect to be employed in the foreseeable future, go right ahead.

I would only advise caution if by buying this car you will lose peace of mind due to financial problems which is not your case. Go ahead and enjoy your well earned luxuries.
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 10:03   #37
BHPian

Fully agree with you and @androdev - I never faced any service or parts issues with my pre-owned '06 Octavia mk1 vRS (40-60K KM's, 2011-14) and new VW Jetta mk6 TDI(0-60K KM's, 2014-21).

I also have visited a Toyota service center where you get lost in the maze of yellow boards - but the best part is that you only have to go there twice a year or every 7,500 KMs!

Good observation on the IT folks be it Hardware or Software, they are all the same and boring . I (and mod @ajmat) used to work at the #1 Semiconductor company (a long time ago) and we were the exceptions driving the Octavia vRS while even the R&D top honcho used to drive a dark green Octavia petrol with steel wheels! Now I work for the #1 Software company and the parking garage is also boring too! So you are an exception and feel proud about it

My purchases have been based on the value the cars bring besides the pleasure - I bought pre-owned when past employer wasn't offering a car lease but now I buy new (twice) because my current employer offers company car lease - might give you how to tread!

Last edited by AirWind : 4th February 2022 at 10:05.
AirWind is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 10:06   #38
BHPian

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Shall I wait for a better EV option or listen to heart and buy the Fortuner?
I am thoroughly confused on the road ahead. Hope to get some advice from fellow members.
Buy the car! It's a reliable car and you will be able to keep it longer than the polo and when the time comes to sell it, a good price as well. Benefits of a Toyota!

Last edited by Sheel : 4th February 2022 at 10:38. Reason: Mod note attached.
yuvmudapa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 10:13   #39
BHPian

Same background, similar thoughts... Exactly the same dilemma about going in for a European CKD model. A few things over the last few months and the decision was made:

1. Safety is non-negotiable. Lost a promising young lad (family friend) in a road accident; a safer car, maybe, the kid may have lived.
2. A longish trip to the coast with family was comfortable, but would've been more enjoyable in slightly bigger, more comfortable car.
3. If you can afford it, and have the time and wherewithal to go places and make memories that you and your kids will cherish for ever, if not now, when else?

So ended up giving away my awesome 2009 Jazz for the new ride.

If you aren't burdening the family, or cutting corners for needs, I'd say don't feel guilty on spending on wants.
Old 4th February 2022, 10:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

To be fair, the second part of your post was kind of missed. The Fortuner is a big lumbering diesel and given that you care about the carbon footprint, I do think a hybrid is probably the way to go.

Maybe the Camry is worth checking out while you're there?
McLaren Rulez is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 10:29   #41
BHPian

Well you are not a middle class person as your buying potential is huge !
If your Finances allow to fulfil your desire then why not go for it. After all you live life only once. I suggest go for it.

After the exit of Ford (Endeavour) , I think Fortuner has no direct competition so Toyota is slowly increasing its Price. Two years later you may have to shell out upto 60 Lacs for the same car to fulfil your new car itch.
So grab the moment and proceed with your dream purchase.
Old 4th February 2022, 10:41   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Since you mentioned ride quality, Fortuner is definitely on the harsher side. Even the new and the latest one. So if you prefer something comfy and do not venture off road, a KIA carnival will serve you better.

Do not get me wrong. You love the Fortuner. But the excitement will wear off a few months post purchase and if you find the ride quality not meeting the your expectations then you may feel like you took a wrong decision. Also, your polo is 12 year old. You are also older now(no pun intended), so your needs would have evolved as well. A bone jarring ride is definitely not a good characteristic of a family mover.

Also, whatever car you buy, since you keep for a minimum a decade , resale value should be least of your concern
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 10:42   #43
BHPian

I was in the same dilemma when I bought Fortuner myself. and to date, That's one of the best decisions I have ever made. A lot of things change, a lot of miles and memories are made. Go for it, without a thought. If Endy was also available, I would have persuaded for Endy, otherwise Fortuner all the way. If possible buy a black one
abtyagi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 10:56   #44
BHPian

Our heart and desires are fickle!

I was in a similar situation in 2019, enough savings, no loans/liabilities and cash in hand to buy a car outright (I was smitten by Tiguan). Then a few things happened, a relative moved into an independent house away from the city bustle, parents came for an extended stay and soon our apartment felt claustrophobic.

Suddenly, the itch for more personal space overtook the desire for a car; the cash in hand was immediately put down for an independent house, a loan started and life has taken a different path altogether!

Looking back, often wonder, if I had bought the car, would the itch for a house never come up? Or; would I have been regretting buying a car and thus not being able to go for a house as easily?

The lesson, just do what feels right now!
chaotic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 11:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
If your new car price is less than 5% of your total savings ( Presuming no pending loans/ liabilities ) and you are not retiring in the next 10 years simply go ahead.
This equates to a savings of 10 crores to afford a 50l Fortuner. Wonder how many salaried people will be able to amass that kind of savings.
Jaguar is online now   (22) Thanks

Most Viewed