Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2022, 20:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Want to buy a 45 - 50 lakh SUV | How to get rid of the middle class guilt?

My Polo has completed 12 years now. It is high time an upgrade is due. I am highly emotionally attached to my possessions.
So selling is not an option and Polo will stay with me. The car has served me well with zero breakdowns or major issues. Again I am very much choosy and has very strong likes and dislikes. The only car which has made an impression on me in the current lots due to multiple reasons is Toyota Fortuner. I know the car is over priced. Still I love the car. Resources are not a problem for me and I can even make an all cash purchase.

Now come, my dilemma. I will call this the 'great Indian middle class guilt or remorse' when one spent huge amounts on depreciating assets.

I am sure many of us who have come from modest back grounds but risen well only due to our parents focus on education will feel this. 45-50L is a huge amount. So, am I doing the right thing by spending such a huge amount on a car which may be higher than what you spend on your child education. You can do so many great things with that kind of money. Also the
huge carbon foot print of a massive diesel SUV worries me. Sadly no other current car excites me or I don't consider those upgrades worthy.

Shall I wait for a better EV option or listen to heart and buy the Fortuner?
I am thoroughly confused on the road ahead. Hope to get some advice from fellow members.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th February 2022 at 19:17. Reason: Formatting.
poloman is offline   (127) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 20:41   #2
BHPian

re: Want to buy a 45 - 50 lakh SUV | How to get rid of the middle class guilt?

For what its worth, you're not the only one. I still have my 15 year old Wagon R - it dont drive it much but the car is mechanically very sound. I'm now contemplating an XUV700 - a five fold jump in sticker price. Similar thoughts as yours had drifted in my mind and i ended up driving many other CSUVs and even a crossover (middle class, hence maruti). Having said that in my case, my parents said, you'll keep it for 10+ years, so might as well buy what you enjoy. If you dont have an immediate financial problem, I'd say go for it. Later you never know what plans the hon'ble FM has
vaibhav_a_a is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 22:53   #3
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
The only car which has made an impression on me in the current lots due to multiple reasons is Toyota Fortuner.
Excellent beginnings, good choice due to all those multiple reasons

Quote:

Now come, my dilemma. I will call this the 'great Indian middle class guilt or remorse' when one spent huge amounts on depreciating assets.

I am sure many of us who have come from modest back grounds but risen well only due to our parents focus on
education will feel this. 45-50L is a huge amount.
I know the car is over priced.
If you are applying middle class mentality, might as well apply it fully. So here are the reasons:
1. Right upfront, it is not overpriced as compared to all those 5-7 seater cars in the market which don't have the "multiple reasons" of this car.
2. You are probably going to be able to sell it close to cost price if you don't like it after the first couple of years. How many cars fit this?
3. You are probably going to spend as much money as a car priced half of that if you keep the car for long term, the half priced car and this would have roughly costed the same in "absolute money" terms.

Quote:
Resources are not a problem for me and I can even make an all cash purchase.
Good solid mentality which spans across classes

Quote:
....You can do so many great things with that kind of money.
Logical aspect: You can do greater things already with less money and your time. The community around needs us and there are avenues which just need our skills and time.

Automotive aspect: Also you can create priceless memories with this vehicle for yourself and your family which are possible only with a vehicle of this type.

Quote:
Also the huge carbon foot print of a massive diesel SUV worries me.
This all depends on how much this topic means to you. I have certain emotion-based rules i stick to no matter what. And I pay more, choose inferior options etc to avoid violating them. So either something is a "hell yes, this topic means a lot to me to stand for them" or I don't delude myself. For example, I bathe using very less water, I don't use RO water filters but I don't consider myself to be a person making environmental friendly choices in my daily life. Otherwise I would have reduced all recreational air flights which contributes more to pollution than all my yearly activities.

If environment mattered to me the same way as those other principles I mentioned, I wouldn't even think of a large guzzling vehicle that I don't need as a choice. If it mattered slightly less, I might buy a second hand one (see what I did there )

----------------------------

To summarise, a Fortuner is actually a vehicle which fits a middle class mentality- provides long-term value (resale/ maintenance etc.), excellent attributes of a vehicle (for multiple reasons like someone mentioned) and more importantly, the finances are not stretched to avail the same. Get new/ almost new/ used as long as it doesn't violate your principles around environment because it actually doesn't violate our good old solid middle class principles.

Spread the joy with your values in the community and with travelogues in this forum which would otherwise not be possible without the Fortuner.....

Last edited by One : 2nd February 2022 at 23:01.
One is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 22:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well for buying Fortuner you should not have that guilt. The way Fortuner prices are increasing every year both new and in used market, you never know it might turn out to be an investment giving you some profit.

On a serious note, go for it if your finance permit without a lot of stretch and keep the car for 10 years. After few months of ownership you wouldn’t have the guilt.

Last edited by sunikkat : 2nd February 2022 at 22:57.
sunikkat is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 22:57   #5
BHPian

Quote:
My Polo has completed 12 years now. It is high time an upgrade is due. I am highly emotionally attached to my possessions.
So selling is not an option and Polo will stay with me. The car has served me well with zero breakdowns or major issues. Again
I am very much choosy and has very strong likes and dislikes. The only car which has made an impression on me in the current lots due to multiple reasons is Toyota Fortuner. I know the car is over priced. Still I love the car. Resources are not a problem for me and I can even make an all cash purchase.

I am sure many of us who have come from modest back grounds but risen well only due to our parents focus on
education will feel this. 45-50L is a huge amount. So, am I doing the right thing by spending such a huge amount on a car which
may be higher than what you spend on your child education. You can do so many great things with that kind of money. Also the
huge carbon foot print of a massive diesel SUV worries me. Sadly no other current car excites me or I don't consider those upgrades worthy.

I am thoroughly confused on the road ahead. Hope to get some advice from fellow members.
If your new car price is less than 5% of your total savings ( Presuming no pending loans/ liabilities ) and you are not retiring in the next 10 years simply go ahead. Fortuner may spend 10 years or more with you. At the end of those 10 years, the current Fortuner price might look like peanuts to you.
hrishig is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 23:11   #6
BHPian

Philosopher view - live in present and listen to your heart. Go buy whatever you want and can afford. Life is very unpredictable and we all are one heartbeat away from nothingness.

Car view - Fortuner has good resale value, if you ever feel its too much then sell it off.

Finally Fortuner is a good choice in terms of street presence, power, maintainence etc.

As for carbon footprint its definetly more then EV but then do something else good to compensate.
heydj is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 23:22   #7
BHPian

I can understand from where you are coming from. I am also in the same boat. I had celerio for only 6.5 years and now I booked XUV 700 and that is approximately 4 times costlier. I always wanted big powerful car. Considering my age and family, I know this is the only time I can buy and enjoy it. Recent pandemic has taught me that you actually live once and you are not at all in control of your life. I don't want to regret later that why I was not able to do that when I had time or if I had pushed little bit.

You just need to see how you are going to manage the finace. Also, I have learnt that once you get into the financial situation you will figure out how to deal with it. Don't stress yourself and its alright to dream big and take risk. I am also mentally prepared that if it goes south I will sale it but I am not going to compromise it because of middle class stigma.

Also, trust me, you won't like any other like car if you love this one. So no point in buying which you don't.

Best luck! I hope you get your dream car.
Piyush_DT is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 23:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the inputs.

Generally I don't sell my car in less than 10 years. As I mentioned my Polo is 12 years old. Got it for 7L. Will get around 3.75-4L if I sell it now since the car is in immaculate condition. That way I have extracted maximum value from Polo. But I have a very deep emotional connection with this car. So keeping it and same thing may happen with my next car also.

I am not very much worried about resale value of Fortuner. I did check in used car market. Was frustrated by the owners who are expecting more than their buying price they paid 3-4 years ago. Many are not even responding. It is not at all worth to buy used Fortuners at such ridiculous asks is what I feel.

My window for a 5 seated SUV has passed. Also I have a young dog to be transported around with my family. So only a 7-8 seater SUV fits my bill. I like the to be launched Jeep Meridian also. But that also is going to be priced around 45-50L on road, Bangalore and don't think Jeep in India offers that kind of durability and reliability like Toyota.

Quote:
Philosopher view - live in present and listen to your heart. Go buy whatever you want and can afford. Life is very unpredictable and we all are one heartbeat away from nothingness.
The same thought process may drive me, go ahead and get the Fortuner, ultimately.

Last edited by poloman : 2nd February 2022 at 23:29.
poloman is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 23:59   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The only car which has made an impression on me in the current lots due to multiple reasons is Toyota Fortuner. I know the car is over priced. Still I love the car. Resources are not a problem for me and I can even make an all cash purchase....Now come, my dilemma. I will call this the 'great Indian middle class guilt or remorse' when one spent huge amounts on depreciating assets....huge carbon foot print of a massive diesel SUV worries me. Sadly no other current car excites me or I don't consider those upgrades worthy.
Erm..

The Fortuner should be the last vehicle you should feel guilty over purchase. You are not buying a 3 door hatchback or a driver centric (poor rear seat) car. The Fortuner for all its attributes is as middle class as it can get. In my social circle (parents' gen), even if you buy a European car that is 20 lakhs cheaper than a Fortuner, you are splurging money. But a Fortuner? Respect, since you have made a wise decision, financially.

This is a family SUV, that is as practical as it gets. You drove a Polo for 12 years, you can happily look forward to atleast 20 years of usage with the Fortuner.

Some where else people are using so much energy that we can't even use in our lifetime, due to their climate. Somewhere else people are driving V8 petrol engined pickup trucks that dwarfs the Fortuner, yet won't see anything more than a grocery bag on its loadbed. Closer home, a person might have bought three new cars in the same time period that you used your Polo, and might be buying their fourth one now.

And even after purchase you have middle class guilt ridden buyer's remorse. You can sell it without losing much money.
DicKy is online now   (30) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 00:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Poloman, forget everything (guilt and EV) and just buy the Fortuner because you can and that’s the one you want or say ~5 years down the line you will be filled with regret that you did not follow your heart.

One life, don’t restrict your happiness with unnecessary emotions. Hoping to see your post on the Fortuner purchase soon

All the best!

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 08:49   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Want to buy a 45 - 50 lakh SUV | How to get rid of the middle class guilt?

Well, there is always a first time for big purchases, be it a house, car, jewellery, expensive watch, European holiday etc.

As long as you have your finances in order, are fiscally responsible and can afford a Fortuner without stress, go for it . Us BHPians are a unique breed whose no.1 passion is cars....we live to drive . Nothing makes us happier than a good drive in a good car. Cars are a very integral part of our lives and hence, we should get the beast we love (as long as we're being financially responsible at the same time).

Listen to your heart and get the Fortuner. You only live once. As a bonus, it has many practical aspects too, including space for the family, reliability, cheap service costs, excellent resale etc.
GTO is offline   (75) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 09:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Poloman, it's time to be a Marco Polo with the Fortuner. What you are thinking still? Pick it up mate.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 10:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

It's hard to get rid of the guilt. I was not feeling guilty with my purchase and was worried as to why I could not feel guilty after buying a 15L priced car. An advantage here would be that, even after 6 - 8 years, the resale value would still be good given the current factors. However, that cannot be taken for granted. Anything can change overnight. When I was apprehensive of upgrading to a big car, I kept telling myself that it's for the family mainly (although it fulfills my car ambitions). My earlier car was not worthy of any highway rides and hence the upgrade was a necessity rather than a FOMO kind of a buy.
Raghu M is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 10:36   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Without car, life is a mistake.
androdev is online now   (77) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 10:46   #15
BHPian

Its a very simple decision for a 44 year old actually. If you have already saved enough for your children's education, sorted on a place to stay, built decent retirement corpus and will be employed for the foreseeable future, then by all means go ahead and splurge, more than a fortuner if you can. In 15 years from now, with already looming or present high BP, diabetes, bad knees etc etc, what are you going to do with all that saved money anyway? It will all end up as being a number in your portfolio...
CosmicWizard is offline   (25) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks