Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2022, 15:07   #16
ike
BHPian

Re: Comfortable, Refined 5+2 Seater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTiger View Post

Boot space with all 3 rows up expect to take in 2 cabin bags (this ends up making Safari/ XUV700 a no-go) This is because that's the typical luggage we travel with for 3-5 day trips and if the boot cant take 2 small trolley bags (inflight cabin size) then the third row would need to be split - leaving seating space -and not sleeping space in 3rd row
Maybe getting an overhead luggage carrier would resolve the boot space issues? It can be mounted when required and stored at home when not being used. It does make the sunroof irrelevant though (when in use).
Old 13th February 2022, 17:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
My search for my next car in the less than INR 25 lakh OTR range (upto 22 lakh ex-showroom)- Would love to get inputs from fellow Team-BHPians

Requirements :

1) 5+2 seater used most of the time by family of 4

2) Comfort & refinement

3) Engine & Safety
Hi RoadTiger!

Honestly, there's no car within the 25L bracket which aces all your requirements. You will have to either move up the ladder or settle for a few oddities. I can state this with conviction as I was in a similar dilemma two months back.

Within the price bracket, the XUV-700 is the one that gives you the most but getting timely delivery is a problem. The Safari is also okay. But mind you, none of these is a proper seven seater.

May I suggest that you keep options open and look for pre-loved cars as well. You may get a nicely kept Ford Endeavour 3.2 or a well kept Tata Hexa XTA for much lesser price. Both are great cars.

Last edited by Prashant1286 : 13th February 2022 at 17:49.
Prashant1286 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 20:52   #18
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Maybe getting an overhead luggage carrier would resolve the boot space issues? It can be mounted when required and stored at home when not being used. It does make the sunroof irrelevant though (when in use).
Can a roof rack be mounted on vehicles with sunroof? I was under the impression that it cannot. Would be happy to be corrected.
handsofsteel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 21:39   #19
BHPian

Buy a used Hexa xta with your eyes closed. The Hexa was designed keeping your requirements in mind.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 22:12   #20
Team-BHP Support

Not sure if I would agree on the reason to take out Innova from the list. A 7-seater with a minimum 10 year running; I don't think any thing comes close than the reliable Toyota.

A top of the line AT is definitely above the budget. But in 10 years of its usage you will thank it no less. Even more when you sell it!
ampere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 22:27   #21
BHPian

Hi RoadTiger,

I will recommend Hector Plus. I own Hector 5 seater Diesel Sharp and have done couple of 5000+ Km rides in it with family. Few points which I like the most:-
1. Gobbles up all the luggage. At times I have carried luggage of 3 families which includes children in it.
2. Comfort for both front and rear passengers. Rear seat recline is boon.
3. Peaceful cabin. No tire, wind or outside noise.
4. Music and sound quality is awesome. Point 3 makes it really enjoyable along with nice sound quality.
5. No Diesel engine vibration or noise inside. Infact it’s so smooth and quiet inside that sometimes I missed shifting up until my eyes went on rpm’s.
6. Excellent mileage. Always 15+ unless I am driving in hills. On long stretches in plains it’s 20+.
7. 6th gear is tall, i engage it beyond 100 only.
8. Hello MG voice assistant works well 95% times including AC controls.
9. Sound build quality, holds up good when driven on rough roads and occasional jumps on unmarked speed breaker on Indian highways.
10. All 4 disc brakes. Works really well.
11. Automatic tailgate. Awesome and helpful.
12. Panoramic sunroof. Monsoons in western ghats can be best experienced with it.

Things I don’t like:-
1. No physical button for AC.
2. Headlights could have been better.

I am attaching some mileage figures of city and highway drives, tank to tank method also give similar numbers. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Comfortable, Refined 5+2 Seater-4dc4fa725321446c98ad81a2342b1f4a.jpeg  

Comfortable, Refined 5+2 Seater-edb1347cf5ff4f17968ccbb031b0501d.jpeg  

Comfortable, Refined 5+2 Seater-0c004988beac4b56877795e85542dcda.jpeg  

FiatDiesel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 22:47   #22
BHPian

Don’t rule out the Innnova Crysta please. Do take a test drive again and see. Hector is a great car, but it’s suspension is simply too soft, over vertical undulations or wavy roads, the suspension bounces just a lot, and in the last row that might cause motion sickness to the passengers. I have a hector diesel and have travelled in crsytas as well as my MG on the highways extensively, the Crysta feels just much more comfortable comparatively. Choose wisely !
NarediAni7518 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 00:53   #23
BHPian

You have not quoted your average yearly run, so bring that into perspective and do the math for a 10 year ownership of petrol Innova Crysta vs Diesel. Assume every year fuel cost (both petrol and diesel) increases by 10% for your calculation. If you running is 1000 Km / month the petrol Crysta will still be a winner with refinement and boot space. Although the BS6 Diesel Crysta is way refined and have controlled NVH than before and would be my top recommendation to you.

Last edited by haisaikat : 14th February 2022 at 00:54.
haisaikat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 03:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We keep cars typically for 10 years - so not really bothered about re-sale values. However, should be easy to maintain - service once in a year, reliable parts, serviceability in most B-category towns helpful
The above points to only one vehicle, a Toyota Innova. Get a diesel automatic. That jumpy gear stick is a thing of the past. The Innova is quite settled on a 4 lane highway too. That's the plus of a ladder frame vehicle. When you load them up, the ride is good.

I'd run the math with a petrol auto variant too, based on how much the vehicle is going to be used. Its definitely a gas hog. You cannot expect more than 12 to 13 kmpl on the highway cycle but you also need to remember that your ferrying 6 to 7 people is pretty decent comfort. On cost to fuel for a road trip, you are likely to spend more for a 7 seat cab versus filling petrol.

You can also look at Toyota Certified vehicles. You will definitely pay a premium but if that is going to save you 5 to 10 lacs on road versus new, use that for gas or whatever else you need it for.

As inviting an XUV is, I'd give it a couple of years before putting 20 big ones on a all new, tech loaded Mahindra.

The Jeep isn't even available and the Carens is sort of unchartered territory, though less risky than a Jeep.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 14th February 2022 at 03:55.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 06:13   #25
BHPian

You haven’t mentioned the budget. But if you are willing to spend more, consider the Carnival. It covers all your requirements and offers more.
mohitchalla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 12:01   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Buy a used Hexa xta with your eyes closed. The Hexa was designed keeping your requirements in mind.
Never driven one - but always heard good things about it. Buying a used discontinued model is off the table. Need spares availability - I have no patience to spend time visiting garages - other than the yearly service

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Not sure if I would agree on the reason to take out Innova from the list. A 7-seater with a minimum 10 year running; I don't think any thing comes close than the reliable Toyota.

A top of the line AT is definitely above the budget. But in 10 years of its usage you will thank it no less. Even more when you sell it!
Thanks, will TD the Crysta. Honestly, I think reliability for Toyota is over-rated. I've owned 3 cars over the last 20 years - and have almost never faced an issue with a vehicle breaking down. Not to say it cant happen. Unsure if Toyota's famed reliability is unique to the brand - I expect basic mechanical reliability from any mainstream car maker (unless one is just plain unlucky with a lemon - or careless with timely servicing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatDiesel View Post
Hi RoadTiger,

I will recommend Hector Plus. I own Hector 5 seater Diesel Sharp and have done couple of 5000+ Km rides in it with family. Few points which I like the most:-
1. Gobbles up all the luggage. At times I have carried luggage of 3 families which includes children in it.
2. Comfort for both front and rear passengers. Rear seat recline is boon.
3. Peaceful cabin. No tire, wind or outside noise.
4. Music and sound quality is awesome. Point 3 makes it really enjoyable along with nice sound quality.
5. No Diesel engine vibration or noise inside. Infact it’s so smooth and quiet inside that sometimes I missed shifting up until my eyes went on rpm’s.
6. Excellent mileage. Always 15+ unless I am driving in hills. On long stretches in plains it’s 20+.
7. 6th gear is tall, i engage it beyond 100 only.
8. Hello MG voice assistant works well 95% times including AC controls.
9. Sound build quality, holds up good when driven on rough roads and occasional jumps on unmarked speed breaker on Indian highways.
10. All 4 disc brakes. Works really well.
11. Automatic tailgate. Awesome and helpful.
12. Panoramic sunroof. Monsoons in western ghats can be best experienced with it.

Things I don’t like:-
1. No physical button for AC.
2. Headlights could have been better.

I am attaching some mileage figures of city and highway drives, tank to tank method also give similar numbers. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the mini-review - this is very helpful. How is the suspension and 2nd row comfort on slightly undulating NH/state highways ? The soft tuning is likely to make it bouncy in theory - have passengers complained/ felt nauseous ?
RoadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 12:05   #27
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
Can a roof rack be mounted on vehicles with sunroof? I was under the impression that it cannot. Would be happy to be corrected.
I was wrong. I think panoramic sunroofs rule out any roof racks.
Old 14th February 2022, 12:08   #28
BHPian

Willing to stretch my budget to 35 OTR ballpark. Yearly running for this (2nd car in the garage) exceeds 10K a year - predominantly on highways.

Thanks for everyone's inputs so far. Will plan to TD the Crysta, Hector Plus and Safari again.

Carnival yes impressive MPV, though size looks slightly cumbersome - can stretch budget - will wait for 2022 edition to assess.

Last edited by RoadTiger : 14th February 2022 at 12:14.
Old 14th February 2022, 13:40   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the mini-review - this is very helpful. How is the suspension and 2nd row comfort on slightly undulating NH/state highways ? The soft tuning is likely to make it bouncy in theory - have passengers complained/ felt nauseous ?
We have not experienced such situations. Suspension is soft, no doubt but that actually helps over potholes in city. On highways if you do sane speeds then don’t have any issues. Basically I have adapted to its soft suspension. On sharp breakers at slow speeds you might feel some vertical movements however it is for that instant.

We did Pune - Delhi round trip with Gujarat coastline and Pune - Kanyakumari round trip with TN coastline and Kodaikanal. Either my son or my wife used to be on back seat and they never experienced nausea or anything of that sort. We did Kodaikanal-Pune is one shot….1300 kms I guess…no issues observed or felt.

Crysta from Toyota is no doubt more reliable however it’s Taxi image and high cost put us off. And Hector offered us host of latest features at much lesser price and found it more comfortable. And Jeeps gearbox and Diesel engine negated any reliability concerns.

I would suggest go for extended test drives.
Happy Hunting
FiatDiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 13:57   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatDiesel View Post
We have not experienced such situations. Suspension is soft, no doubt but that actually helps over potholes in city. On highways if you do sane speeds then don’t have any issues. Basically I have adapted to its soft suspension. On sharp breakers at slow speeds you might feel some vertical movements however it is for that instant.

We did Pune - Delhi round trip with Gujarat coastline and Pune - Kanyakumari round trip with TN coastline and Kodaikanal. Either my son or my wife used to be on back seat and they never experienced nausea or anything of that sort. We did Kodaikanal-Pune is one shot….1300 kms I guess…no issues observed or felt.

Crysta from Toyota is no doubt more reliable however it’s Taxi image and high cost put us off. And Hector offered us host of latest features at much lesser price and found it more comfortable. And Jeeps gearbox and Diesel engine negated any reliability concerns.

I would suggest go for extended test drives.
Happy Hunting
Very helpful @FiatDiesel - Your long road trips and driving patterns resemble mine. I have the same overall mindset as you've described regarding Hector vs Innova - I would consider only the Diesel for the Hector Plus due to the engine & gearbox from Fiat
RoadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks