Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2022, 15:25   #1
BHPian

Toyota Urban Cruiser AT facelift vs Urban Cruiser AT now

My old faithful 2011 TDI Skoda Fabia has served its purpose. I’m looking at other car options and zeroed in on Toyota Urban Cruiser AT. Then got to know that a facelift is around the corner, should I wait or buy the current car?

Pros: I like the simple styling, body is solid, 4 star ncap, simple interiors specially the ICE position. Its not protruding above the dash which I absolutely dislike. Tried and tested 4 speed AT. Its not over engineered, or over designed.

Cons: 6 speed AT coming in the facelift, maybe better external and internal styling - new gen. Thats all. I don’t know when it might get launched, apr, may, aug?

I need a car soon, but can wait if its worth the while. Current car getting sold in a couple of days via Cars24.

Driving a Skoda for 12yrs, I want to experience what peace of mind service and high resale feels like.

Other AT cars considered:
1. Sonet - interiors are a cognitive overload
2. Nexon - 6 month waiting, low resale
3. Kiger - Low power, low resale
4. Glanza - Maybe, prefer compact SUV
5. WRX - no AT
6. Ignis - Maybe, but only AMT, its a vfm option, dislike suzuki service
7. Amaze - maybe, not SUV, its for smooth roads, not for bng potholes
8. Venue - didnt like it
9. Punch - didnt like it
10. XUV 300 - out of budget, petrol is bleh

Last edited by Axe77 : 16th February 2022 at 17:34. Reason: Minor language edits.
BNG-motorhead is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 10:02   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser AT facelift vs Urban Cruiser AT now

I would wait if I were you. You keep your cars for long, so what's another couple of months of waiting for a companion you will retain for a decade? If any part of the car is vastly superior (e.g. the AT), you'll suffer serious buyer's remorse.

Also keep in mind that the next-gen Vitara Brezza / Urban Cruiser is currently being tested. Why buy a 6-year old model when you're going to drive it for 10 years?
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 10:32   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Wait.

Especially since you are looking at the automatic version. Also it is just a matter of months, not years before the facelift is launched.

But a major problem is that the facelift has the ugly protruding tablet stuck on dash style.

Toyota Urban Cruiser AT facelift vs Urban Cruiser AT now-fb_img_1637343893757.jpg

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5199186

If you are satisfied with the TD of the current one and like the styling, no problem in buying if you are sure that you won't look at the facelift one and sigh when you see it on the road.
DicKy is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 10:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I would wait if I were you. You keep your cars for long, so what's another couple of months of waiting for a companion you will retain for a decade? If any part of the car is vastly superior (e.g. the AT), you'll suffer serious buyer's remorse.

Also keep in mind that the next-gen Vitara Brezza / Urban Cruiser is currently being tested. Why buy a 6-year old model when you're going to drive it for 10 years?
Agree. But aren't the first batches niggle prone? And considering this will comprehensive generation update. Maybe wait a little longer?
BhaskarG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 23:10   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhaskarG View Post
Agree. But aren't the first batches niggle prone? And considering this will comprehensive generation update. Maybe wait a little longer?
Thought about this, but its not a gen 1 release. Rather betterment on an existing model. So I feel it will solve current niggles. Thats my take on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Wait.

Especially since you are looking at the automatic version. Also it is just a matter of months, not years before the facelift is launched.

But a major problem is that the facelift has the ugly protruding tablet stuck on dash style.

Attachment 2273640

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5199186

If you are satisfied with the TD of the current one and like the styling, no problem in buying if you are sure that you won't look at the facelift one and sigh when you see it on the road.
This dash is an eyesore! But yea, prefer new gen vs an end of life engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Your reasoning is sound, I do keep cars for long, stock, and with diligent care. Current Fabia is running flawless, its just that I dont wish to wait till it goes at scrap value(Diesel).

Sigh, the long n impatient wait begins.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th February 2022 at 16:29. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts
BNG-motorhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 00:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhaskarG View Post
A quick google search reveals that Brezza 6AT will be launched in March, and Urban Cruiser 6AT in November. Hopefully all the niggles will be ironed out by then?
I own an A-Star (3 cylinder, 4 speed AT) and use (synthetic) Mobil 1 oil primarily because I can't stand the sound of the (strained) engine above 60 km per hour. The 6 speed AT will make the engine and the car sound so much refined, you will not regret if you decide to wait. May not be worth the higher price though, if your primary use is for point A to point B transport (because the increase in mileage may be miniscule for the 6 speed AT).

Last edited by jinojohnt : 18th February 2022 at 00:08.
jinojohnt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 01:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

If the Baleno launch is anything to go by, you may find 6 airbags in the Brezza/UC.

That reason alone makes it worth the wait for me.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 11:01   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
If the Baleno launch is anything to go by, you may find 6 airbags in the Brezza/UC.

That reason alone makes it worth the wait for me.
Considering Baleno/Glanza as well, but will TD it since its being launched as an AMT.
Old 19th February 2022, 20:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNG-motorhead View Post
My old faithful 2011 TDI Skoda Fabia has served its purpose. I’m looking at other car options and zeroed in on Toyota Urban Cruiser AT. Then got to know that a facelift is around the corner, should I wait or buy the current car?
You should definitely wait for new version of Brezza/Urban Cruiser, these are the reasons to wait.
1. 48V mild hybrid system.
2. 6 speed AT
3. Improved styling new front chrome grill
4. SIM based connected car features.
5. Hopefully they should provide 360 degree camera, like they have introduced in Baleno.
6. Possibly they should also provide a CNG engine option.

In my opinion it’s worth wait.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th February 2022 at 16:55. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Kaus2002 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 22:14   #10
BHPian

Its worth waiting in my opinion as the 6 speed AT is expected to give better drivability and fuel economy when compared to the current gen 4 speed gear box. Also if the facelift leaks from Brezza is any indication, you can expect a refreshed look and probably better finish plus kit in the new one. Since this is a major midlife update, if you do not wait, you may end up driving a significantly older one while new one launches. Only one advantage of buying now will be the price which may go up a bit considering the upgrades to looks, gearbox and other kit.
shinuak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 15:06   #11
BHPian

If the facelift comes with 6 airbags, can that be enough to bump it up to 5-star rating?
Old 19th June 2022, 20:49   #12
BHPian

Any update on when new Vitara Brezza / Urban Cruiser going to launch? Since Hyryder is going to be launched first, I don't think they will launch the face-lift of Urban Cruiser in a short span of time.
Old 22nd July 2022, 16:26   #13
BHPian

I am seeing references that say Toyota has phased out UC in favor of UC Hyryder. Here are a couple:
* the Urban Cruiser Hyryder indirectly replaced the smaller Urban Cruiser, a rebadged Vitara Brezza.
* With the launch of the new Urban Cruiser Hyryder, Toyota will now phase out the previous Urban Cruiser SUV

Does anyone have a solid reference to show that Toyota is working on UC facelift?
Old 22nd July 2022, 16:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haridsv View Post
I am seeing references that say Toyota has phased out UC in favor of UC Hyryder. Here are a couple:
* the Urban Cruiser Hyryder indirectly replaced the smaller Urban Cruiser, a rebadged Vitara Brezza.
* With the launch of the new Urban Cruiser Hyryder, Toyota will now phase out the previous Urban Cruiser SUV

Does anyone have a solid reference to show that Toyota is working on UC facelift?
Logically, there is no reason for Toyota to keep Urban Crusier name with Hyryder. It would have been successful as just Hyryder too. I think the reason why UC prefix is there for Hyryder is that they don't want to ditch their previous gen UC customers by discontinuing a model with in 3 years and destroy the reputation of the famed Toyota resale value. Keeping UC prefix with Hyryder will help the resale value and customers of old UC. This is just a guess and there is no official validation to this.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 22nd July 2022 at 16:34.
Old 22nd July 2022, 16:33   #15
BHPian

On the other hand, this is the most optimistic reference to UC facelift that I found so far: Toyota To Likely Launch 3 New SUVs In India Soon

I test drove UC and finalized on it, but I really like all the new improvements in the Brezza facelift so want to wait for the UC facelift. The Toyota sales person is insisting that UC is phased out so pushing me to buy as they only have the stock in single digits.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks