Hyundai Alcazar 15 4.11%
Something bigger like the XUV700 or Innova Crysta 136 37.26%
Other (please specify in your post) 6 1.64%
Voters: 365. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2022, 15:16   #31
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens vs Maruti XL6 vs Maruti Ertiga vs others

Already bought the Alcazar Diesel MT (mid model) last year in October and now pretty happy with it even after evaluating the Karens.

As a roomy family cruiser, the Alcazar has been superb, the luggage space is great as I don't really need the third row, very fuel efficient and features such as 360 camera etc and auto hold are awesome.
driven646 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 15:47   #32
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Disclaimer: XL6 Automatic owner here.

Voter for the Carens. The starting variants have re-defined the meaning of VFM. I simply see no reason to choose the XL6 other than it looks more handsome (never thought I would say this about the XL6 but the Carens is by far the ugliestlooking vehicle I have seen bar the Pontiac Aztec) and the 2nd row captain chairs "seem" to be more comfortable than that of the Carens (the back support seem too short and coupled with the low seat make me think that the 2nd row would not be as comfortable as the XL6's). Otherwise, the Carens outclasses the XL6 in every department (even safety if the 4 star rumours are to be believed) including the all important NVH and interior plastic quality.

P.S: Relying on Bhpians experience for the Carens as I have not personally experienced the vehicle yet.

Last edited by sierrabravo98 : 22nd February 2022 at 15:49.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 16:00   #33
BHPian

Voted for something bigger. I have attempted long drives both in terms of distance and time and can say that when you plan something like that the its endurance test for the machine as well as the people riding it. Hence following things matter
  • More the space the better relaxed you can be, this applies to more shoulder room and more legroom and of course more luggage room
  • Automatic would be way to go, and if cost of travel or tank range is a concern then FE / Diesel comes into play
  • Ability to take abuse is important, why? Because in longer travels you may lose the patience to dodge every pothole or go over bumpers by slowing down, so BOFs make better case in general amidst monocoque dominance
  • Bigger engine and more overall power is better than jacked up power to weight ratios on lighter cars with a turbo. Just make the car loaded fully (additional 0.5 to 0.7 Ton) with combination of healthy passengers, luggage, AC On and see how the effective power to (laden) weight ratio drops in reality and your apparent fun to drive experience turns sour instantly for cars with smaller engines.
  • High GC and High seating position matters. While the former guarantees safe passage over various road conditions beyond highways (in some cases broken / under construction / widening projects highways count here) the later ensures greater safety by providing wider and long range visibility over many regular vehicles plying at front, some accidents can be avoided this way.
  • Good Global standard safety rating like GNCAP, etc which although never guarantees yet increase probability of being less harmed in unforeseen accident situations.

With above considered, if I have the money to buy Crysta I will buy it, Diesel Automatic of Kia Carens is close in pricing to Crysta GX Auto Diesel base model that comes with Cruise Control, Android Auto which are on of the most essential things that matter on longer drives.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 22nd February 2022 at 16:38. Reason: Adding points as requested
haisaikat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 16:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

I have a Marazzo and i like it but Diesel + AT with some more bells and whistles, Carens it is for me if I were buying an MUV today
Old 22nd February 2022, 16:19   #35

The XL6 is a great car and if I had to buy a 7 seater vehicle I would definitely go for it but only WHEN IT IS OFFERED WITH THE 6 SPEED TC AUTOMATIC..

The Carens is priced brilliantly but I am personally no longer interested in the Manual Transmission and the cheapest AT variant starts at 14.59 lakhs ex-showroom.

More-over , the automatic transmission in focus here is the 7-Step DCT and combined with the turbocharged engine, bulletproof reliability cannot be guaranteed from this vehicle at all.

The 6-Speed TC + Suzuki's 1.5 NA engine will be a much more reliable combination, not to mention the top Alpha Variant of the XL6 is quite feature-rich as well.

I personally believe that Kia should introduce the iVT with the 1.5 NA petrol engine.
nd26 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 16:49   #36
BHPian

I have voted for Mahindra Marazzo, India's safest, yet most underrated MPV(car). As mentioned by BHPian Reinhard, take out the looks, Automatic gearbox and the lucrative features that distract you while you are are on the move, Marazzo is absolutely an gem. It fullfils the purpose for which it was bought into. Also, the ugly boxy Van kind of looks makes the third row more sapcious ( both legspace and headroom). Though I have not checked out the newly introduced Kia Carens, i doubt if it's 3rd row is better than marazzo.

I am a proud owner of Marazzo for the past 6 months and have done 3 long trips with 8 onboard till now in my run of nearly 12000 kms. Everyone were comfortably seated without any bodypains that they felt in other cars, especially Ertiga 2017 model which my cousin brother owns.

The engine is absolutely a gem and I am getting a mileage of 18 in highway drives when I am also and 17 when the car is fully loaded, including luggage on top. It easily curises at 140 kmph without any efforts, though I never cross 100 kmph or 2k rpm. Will be checking the engine power next month on my travel to hill station.

Last edited by msa.30789 : 22nd February 2022 at 16:56.
msa.30789 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 16:57   #37
BHPian

I have opted for Marazzo MT, for its abuse friendly built, rear wheel drive, good diesel engine and a comfortable cabin. Marazzo would do wonders if Mahindra does a RISE, and change the external appearance of the car from MUVish to SUVish, something what TATA did with Aria by introducing Hexa and may be introduce an auto gear option. I am not a big user of plethora of features which are now available in cars except something like cooled seats and sun roof for those who want it(optional).
fawad0222 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 17:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the XL6. It seems to be the best compromise between, cost of acquisition, resale value, trusted platform, engine-auto gearbox combination etc. Another thing going for the XL6 is with a little bit of planning, its possible to get 6 adults find a comfortable seating position. Looks good too
Old 22nd February 2022, 17:09   #39
BHPian

I have voted for Carens because offering is VFM and third row seats beat competition. However if models above 15+ are being considered then I would skip this segment and look for Hector Plus.
Old 22nd February 2022, 17:56   #40
BHPian

Voted for Carens, but I strongly desire for a functional roof rack, in case of all 7 seats occupied there should be suffient luggage space required for long travels.

Innova scores in this aspect but it is in another category.
Old 22nd February 2022, 19:24   #41
BHPian

Voted for Marazzo,

I am a simple guy with simple needs. I like my cars to be safe, reliable, specious and comfortable. Hence for the price point, Marazzo makes a lot of sense to me.

Test drove Carens recently, it is a really good car, lots of features even in mid variants and good ride quality. However the front end design is something I do not understand. Also it is slightly less in power and space, when compared to Marazzo.

I am pivoting around the price point of Marazzo, so cheaper options do not satisfy me and expensive options are, well, expensive.
indianvirus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 20:20   #42
BHPian

Somehow I always felt in these polls, the winner is going to be the latest car (or Carens in this case). Is it something to do with the freshness of the car, the features or the technology? It's a tad unfair to models which haven't got a facelift or a mid-life refresh, but maybe that's just my thinking.
Voted for the Marazzo (even though I love Diesel + AT combination) because in a sense it was a true MPV with good looks, proven engine, budget friendly (for the time), comfort and convenience. Also, I am a fan of the lovely Iodine Green/Aquamarine color they launched.
Mahindra of course will never look back at this car today, the way maybe Tata won't at Hexa but never say never.
Zignor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 00:25   #43
BHPian

Voted for something bigger, Innova Crysta. No-nonsense, reliable, decent power and unmatched comfort.
Old 23rd February 2022, 19:48   #44

If I was in the market for an MPV, it would need to fulfil the basic need to fit 7 people comfortably.

The only one in this price range is the Kia Carens, and that's what my vote would go for.

One can always look at bigger, better cars but then you're comparing apples to oranges; whether you compare the car to an MG Hector, Innova, XUV700, Kia Carnival, Mercedes-Benz V Class.
Old 24th February 2022, 16:06   #45

My Vote goes to "Something bigger like the XUV700 or Innova Crysta"

If we are talking about MPVs, Innova still rules this segment with its comfortable ride quality and reliability. Marazzo will be a close second. Although, I'm never in favor of the 3rd row for long rides but if it comes to that, I will pick up the Innova.

Although the Carens comes with a lot of bells and whistles, I'm not sure on the build quality. Need to wait for some Crash Tests for that.
(Seltos already disappointed with the 3 stars)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks