Voters: 365. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2022, 10:47   #1
Team-BHP Support

Kia Carens vs Maruti XL6 vs Maruti Ertiga vs others

Kia Carens vs Maruti XL6 vs Maruti Ertiga vs others-kia-carens-comparo.png

Kia Carens

What you'll like:

• Fresh styling that will appeal to a larger audience (unlike the polarising Alcazar)
• A practical & sensible 3-row family car that's well-built. 3rd-row seat is actually useable
• User-friendly interiors look really good (blue shade is awesome) and have quality parts
• 1.4L turbo petrol with 7-speed DCT offers more than adequate performance. Extremely refined too
• Economical 1.5L diesel is available in MT & AT variants. Offers good driveability
• Impressive ride quality with neutral car-like road manners
• The Carens' safety package includes 6 airbags, ESP, all-wheel disc brakes, TPMS etc as standard.

What you won't:

• 2nd-row legroom is just ordinary, despite the seat travel of the 1st-row being restricted
• Diesel’s 113 BHP & 250 Nm – although adequate – are the lowest in the segment
• Reliability of the 7 speed DCT in a heavier car is a concern
• Unknown safety rating. The Seltos just barely managed a 3-star Global NCAP rating!
• Some niceties missing vs the Alcazar - no 360-degree camera, no full virtual dials, no panoramic sunroof
• Competitors like the Tata Safari, MG Hector & XUV700 offer way more spacious cabins

Review Link

Maruti XL6

What you'll like:

• A 6-seater MPV at the price of C segment sedans & some compact SUVs
• Maintains value proposition of the Ertiga, with a fair premium for the added features
• Comfortable captain seats & spacious cabin. Fantastic car for the chauffeur-driven
• A competent BS6 petrol; convenient automatic available as an option
• Car-like to drive and city-friendly size
• Features such as that sweet head-unit, LED auto-headlamps, cruise control & more
• Maruti’s excellent after-sales service, wide dealer network & fuss-free ownership experience

What you won't:

• Diesel is not available. Heavy users will miss its low running costs
• Captain seat layout means just 2 people on the middle row
• Build, quality & refinement are ordinary for a million-rupee car. Not a “premium” Ertiga
• 4-speed Automatic gearbox feels old & outdated
• 3rd-row isn't for everyone as the 2nd-row doesn't tumble forward, making ingress / egress tricky
• Some missing features such as side airbags, auto-dimming IRVM, auto wipers etc.

Review Link

Maruti Ertiga

What you'll like:

• A 7-seater MPV at the price of a C segment sedan. Sub 10-lakh petrol variants are well-priced
• Practical & spacious cabin, now with a usable 3rd row & larger boot
• A peppy petrol, efficient diesel & convenient automatic on offer = take your pick
• Car-like to drive and city-friendly size (unlike most other 7-seater MPVs)
• Features such as that sweet head-unit, projector headlamps, cooled cup-holders & more
• Dual airbags, ABS + EBD, Isofix anchors & parking sensors are standard. Automatic gets ESP too
• Maruti’s excellent after-sales service, wide dealer network & fuss-free ownership experience

What you won't:

• Build, quality & refinement are strictly average for a million-rupee car
• Diesel is no longer available. Heavy users will miss its low running costs
• 3rd-row isn't for everyone as the 2nd-row doesn't tumble forward, making ingress / egress tricky
• 4-speed Automatic feels old & outdated. Not available in the top variant either
• Some missing features such as an auto-dimming IRVM and auto headlamps + wipers (expected at this price)
• Waiting periods are 5-9 months long for certain variants

Review Link

Mahindra Marazzo

What you'll like:

• A clean looking Mahindra (for a change!) with a robust, abuse-friendly build
• Nice & roomy cabin. 1st & 2nd seat rows are spacious, while the captain seats are terrific
• A 3rd-row seat that can actually be used by adults
• 1.5L diesel offers good driveability & fuel economy. 6-speed MT is smooth to use
• Compliant ride quality with neutral road manners for an MUV
• Impressively refined & more carlike-to-drive than other body-on-frame UVs
• Dual airbags, all-wheel disc brakes, Isofix & ABS are standard
• Features such as 2 front armrests, adjustable lumbar support, rest Reminder, economy mode etc.

What you won't:

• With the 3rd seat row in place, the boot is rather small for a vehicle of this size
• No petrol or automatic variants on sale. Almost all competitors have petrols and ATs in the line-up
• Some design errors such as the cramped engine bay (try accessing the battery) & hard-to-use handbrake
• Mahindra's after-sales service quality is a hit or miss. Remains a gamble
• Many important features missing (keyless entry & go, auto-dimming IRVM, leather-wrapped steering, telescopic steering adjustment, auto headlamps & wipers etc.)

Link to Official Review

Hyundai Alcazar

What you’ll like:

• A 3-row family car that's well-built inside out
• User-friendly interiors look really good (brown shade is awesome) and have quality parts
• 2.0L NA petrol & 6-speed AT deliver a very smooth and refined driving experience
• Economical 1.5L diesel is available in MT & AT variants. Offers good driveability
• Comfortable ride quality with neutral road manners
• Unladen ground clearance of 200 mm is perfect for Indian roads
• The Alcazar's safety package includes 6 airbags, ESP, all-wheel disc brakes, auto-hold, TPMS etc.
• Impressive kit (fully digital instruments, 360-degree camera, 2nd-row wireless charger, panoramic sunroof, paddle shifters, Bose sound system, cooled seats & loads more)
• Hyundai's competent after-sales service & wide dealer network

What you won’t:

Oddball love-it-or-hate-it face. We find the Alcazar's front design to be weird & overdone
• 2nd-row legroom is mediocre (captain seat variant). Compromises have been made to accommodate the 3rd-row & boot
• 3rd-row seat is best suited to kids only. Not really a place for adults
• Rs. ~3 lakh OTR premium over the Creta on the higher variants is too much!
• Nothing for enthusiasts here. The 2.0 AT is tuned very conservatively
• Diesel’s 113 BHP & 250 Nm – although adequate – are the lowest in the segment
• The Creta 1.4L DCT is a lot, lot more fun to drive
• Competitors like the Tata Safari, MG Hector Plus & XUV700 offer way more spacious cabins
• Some misses (no petrol AT 7-seater variant, auto wipers, illuminated window buttons, full-size spare tyre on top trims etc.)

Review Link

Last edited by GTO : 19th February 2022 at 16:55.
Aditya is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 16:55   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kia Carens vs Maruti XL6 vs Maruti Ertiga vs others

Same size & same segment, I'd choose the Carens. Reason = Diesel AT (my favourite combination), comfortable ride quality & a useable 3rd row (why else would I buy an MPV).

The Marazzo is a phenomenal MPV, but MT is no longer my thing.

If I was open to something bigger & more expensive, I'd go for the XUV700.

Last edited by GTO : 19th February 2022 at 16:56.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 17:10   #3
BHPian

I'd skip the entire MPV bandwagon. This genre of cars does not resonate with me. To choose from the above lot, I really liked the XL6 when I drove one which belonged to a friend.

But if were to get an MPV myself, I'd extend my budget and get the Carnival.

Last edited by MotoBlip : 19th February 2022 at 17:21.
MotoBlip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 17:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Based on the general feedback of MG owners after two years, I would try to stretch the budget a bit further for MG Hector/ Hector+ instead of these options. Those cars offer a more premium experience in my opinion, espcially the MG Hector Plus which has some quirks from the MG Hector (e.g. rear bumper cladding and tail lights) fixed.

If I have to strictly choose from these options, it would be down to XL6 vs. Carens from this list. Based on what I saw about the front of a Seltos with its bumper removed, there is an almost certainty that I would choose the XL6 among these two. XL6 looks more handsome car too as per my design preferences.
PaddleShifter is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 20:03   #5
Team-BHP Support

I'd go with Maruti XL6:

- XL6 roof rails are functional (unlike Carens). So you can fix a roof box or roof bag for carrying luggage of 6 people.
- Carens AT variant has a much higher price point than XL6 AT variant
SmartCat is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 20:11   #6
BHPian

I have a simple rule in this segment. If I have Innova money I’m buying an Innova. This won’t change until there is a safe, practical, automatic 7 seater which comes in at an equivalent or lower price.
Iyencar is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 20:13   #7
BHPian

I’d grab the Innova. It’s the king of the segment for a reason. Price notwithstanding of course. The comfort, “luxury”, and T-badge make for a compelling case for the Innova.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 20:39   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for Something bigger like the XUV700 or Innova Crysta

Truth be told the Carens' pricing is just mind boggling!!! Never thought there would be an MPV priced that would seem more VFM than an Ertiga/XL6 level. Decently specced too. Though the Seltos GNCAP performance and how can it be cheaper than a Seltos plays in the background.

Though from the list given. Either the XUV700 MX or the Innova GX. More so the latter.
DicKy is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 21:31   #9
BHPian

Looking at the options, I remember a dialogue from the movie "Argo" in which there are only bad ideas:

So in my opinion, the Kia Carens is the best bad idea!
CarNerd is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 21:45   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for something bigger.

I don't believe in a 'confortable' 6/7 seater. Having done multiple long trips, including few 1000-2000 kms long trips and spent considerable distance in the last row, I am NOT comfortable there. Nor would I want anyone else to spend considerable time in the last row.

My experience has been akin to being seated in the last row seats of a bus; if one has experienced it then they'll understand. And I haven't spoken about the leg space or the lack of access to a window. This is after being in the last row of Xylo, Ertiga, XUV 500, Innova and Crysta. The last row is best for local duties or occasional 50 km drive, IMO.

If I am in the market for an upgrade, I would look for a spacious 5 seater with a big boot. Here, the Harrier/XUV700/Crysta 7-str would meet the requirements where last row is folded permanently.

If my budget doesn't allow the above, I would prefer a Creta/Seltos instead of the Carens. With the same engines but without having to carry the extra weight of the 7 str (which I don't need), the performance would be better.

Last edited by ashis89 : 19th February 2022 at 21:50.
ashis89 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 22:14   #11
BHPian

I voted for Carens though I own a 2020 Ertiga. If Carens would have been available in 2020 I would have bought it instead of Ertiga given the various features/interiors offered by it. People are calling it Ertiga killer however I think many people are still going to choose Ertiga over Carens because of factory fitted CNG variant being offered in Ertiga. Since the hike in fuel prices in 2021 there has been exponential rise in sale of CNG vehicles, can't say for other states but for Delhi/NCR it's true for sure. Most people here are either choosing CNG cars or EVs.
mathur2012 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 09:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Voted bigger like 700, Safari and above.

If I have to move away from the theoretical 5 seater sedan/hatchback/crossover then it would imply that space and seats is a need so why settle for something a tad less.
I would go the whole hog but even in that case would like to have something more that an MUV, hence the SUVs
Old 22nd February 2022, 08:46   #13
BHPian

Voted for Kia Carens

From everything we have heard so far, me thinks: what's not to like? It reminds me of that Friends episode where Joey is tasting Rachel's dessert.

a. Space - gooood
b. Engine - gooood
c. Ride comfort - goooood

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 1312
Size:  2.09 MB
KungFuPanda is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 08:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Voted for XL6. As lucrative as Carens looks and has diesel (my preferred engine) following are the reasons :

1. Diesel AT on Carens is 21L OTR thanks to no AT options on low / mid range. The incredible starting price makes no difference to diesel AT buyer.
2. I definitely want AT now.
3. Turbo petrol has DCT with abysmal fuel efficiency.
4. NA petrol does not even have CVT let alone TC AT.

XL6 then suddenly makes sense and is proven product. Upcoming 6 speed AT? Sign me up.
amol4184 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 08:58   #15
BHPian

Voted for Carens because of its VFM proposition. If Innova zx automatic were to be 20-30% cheaper, it wud have been a VFM proposition too, same with Ertiga, if it were to have safety features. Carens is strictly targeted for families who love to travel together. It needs to be driven in a disciplined manner without expecting any adrenaline rush but still preforming what it it is supposed to. Think about using it as a mini theater or even a bedroom when required with middle and last row seats completely flat, how many cars in this segment would offer that Choice with the required convenience OR even moving grown ups and or teenagers in ALL the seats for long journeys without a single one of them complaining about the space.

As far as safety with regard to ncap is concerned, if it doesn't fair well in the tests, it will defeat the whole purpose and would be a disaster so I am pretty sure KIA would have taken those aspects in mind while designing and manufacturing Carens. It might not score a 5 like XUV700 but I am pretty sure it will score equivalent to Ertiga/XL6 or even better.
achintatri is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks