Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one for my usage?
Carens 110 71.90%
Seltos 43 28.10%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2022, 02:42   #1
BHPian

Kia Carens vs Kia Seltos

Hello Everyone !

Would need some inputs from all of you. Have recently sold off my trusted Ciaz after completing around 70,000 odd kms in 6.5 years. All because of Diesel NGT ruling - but that's a different topic all together.

So, for replacement, have shortlisted and booked two cars - Seltos and Carens. I know both are from different segment, cater to different people, but still I need to choose from either.

I am not a heavy right foot driver - sedate and mileage/safety conscious. So performance as such is not a major point for me. I was able to recollect and jot down the following points only. Please do suggest !

Kia Carens vs Kia Seltos-diff.jpg
ptaneja is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 06:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Kia Carens vs Kia Seltos

Also add the point of Carens being a new car, although seems well sorted, the potential for new car issues exists.

From your chart its the Carens that makes more sense with that extra space and the comfy suspension (check our review).

Request to add a poll.

Last edited by shancz : 21st March 2022 at 06:37. Reason: sg add poll
Old 21st March 2022, 09:20   #3
One
BHPian

re: Kia Carens vs Kia Seltos

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
From your chart its the Carens that makes more sense with that extra space...
+1
Your chart mentions human beings and dog in the car for 6-10 times a year which is 6-10 times a year when a Seltos will be cramped whereas the intention would be to travel comfortably (am assuming the price differential is manageable financially, it should be justifiable mentally for sure keeping comfort of all travellers in mind). Also it is fairly carlike to drive with passengers across rows relatively comfortable, I think this is largely due to the tyres it has, they really got the size perfectly matched.

No opinion on the DCT in your chart, am assuming there are good reasons for going for a petrol automatic vs TC gearbox diesel in the same model and an equally good reason you have considered this car over the facelifted 6-7 seaters about to launch from Maruti.

Last edited by One : 21st March 2022 at 09:34.
One is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 09:25   #4
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens vs Kia Seltos

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
+1
Your chart mentions human beings and dog in the car for 6-10 times a year

No opinion on the DCT in your chart, am assuming there are good reasons for going for a petrol automatic vs TC gearbox diesel in the same model
Yes, financially though it's stretching the budget, but well we got to finalise something.

I would have opted for Diesel, as I really liked the refinement of it after driving Ciaz Diesel since 7 years. But, the only reason for not going ahead with it is the stupid 10 year NGT ban in NCR. And with this pilot phase sucess, in no time this will be implemented across atleast major metro cities.
I do not have the financials to sell and buy a 15 lakh car every 7 years ! So it's Petrol DCT this time..
ptaneja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 09:26   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Really depends on whether you need that 3rd row or not. If it is going to be 4 adults + 1 kid + dog 10 times a year (almost once a month), it is the Carens for you. Even apart from the last row, the Carens has one major advantage for a family car over the Seltos = ride quality. Where the Seltos is firm and bumpy over bad roads, the Caren's soft comfort-oriented suspension is a pleasure on our imperfect roads.

I would personally buy a Seltos because it is the more fun-to-drive. But for your family usage, the Carens will be a better fit. Just be sure to pick the right engine + transmission option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Also add the point of Carens being a new car, although seems well sorted, the potential for new car issues exists.
Don't think there will be too much because the engine + transmission + gizmos / electrical architecture are shared with existing Kias.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 09:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But for your family usage, the Carens will be a better fit. Just be sure to pick the right engine + transmission option.
Thanks a lot for clarifying !

With regards to engine+transmission, don't have too much of a choice.
Can't take diesel because of NGT/NCR laws.
Can't take manual as wife needs an Auto to drive.
That leaves me with 1.4 Petrol + DCT

Will buy extended warranty for DCT, but I hope with no half breaks + no sudden acceleration (occasionally yes ) + not abusing it, should suffice. Or should I keep 1L tucked away somewhere that it would be used post warranty ?

I will have to buy another car on company lease by mid of 2022 - thinking of a diesel in that case(Altroz or something similar based on leasing price) which will be daily runner and Carens for family trips.
ptaneja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 09:52   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
That leaves me with 1.4 Petrol + DCT
Indeed the best , along with the Diesel AT. Just go for that extended warranty and be prepared for a little hassle with the DCT, but you'll be okay for the most part.

Enjoy! I had a lot of fun with the Carens on a road-trip earlier in March. Kia has perfectly positioned it between the VFM Ertiga on one side and the expensive Innova on the other:
Kia Carens vs Kia Seltos-1.jpg

Kia Carens vs Kia Seltos-2.jpg

Kia Carens vs Kia Seltos-4.jpg
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 13:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Indeed the best , along with the Diesel AT.

Attachment 2286635
Thanks

Someone take care of NGT and I'll go ahead with Diesel

PS - can't fail to notice the song name ! "Kar gayi chull"

I'll wait for the poll to be put up , but for now I am inclined towards Carens.
ptaneja is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 18:30   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Thanks

Someone take care of NGT and I'll go ahead with Diesel

PS - can't fail to notice the song name ! "Kar gayi chull"

I'll wait for the poll to be put up , but for now I am inclined towards Carens.
The extra 2.6 lakhs spent on Carens would be worth it when compared to Seltos.

Here's my thought process.

Currently I own Seltos HTK petrol. I have booked Carens D1.5 AT as I wanted an automatic car and an affordable seven seater. The extra 20 cm length in Carens is not much longer than Seltos, but the additional seats come very handy during certain family events and trips. As kids grow, they need a seat of their own. How many times we have to travel in two cars for some small trips as there were additional folks? It can be used otherwise as a 5 seater with extra boot space.

In comparison, Innova feels too big with respect to Seltos. So basically getting a longer seltos for lesser price makes Carens valuable especially on Manual transmission trims. I wished there was a prestige plus diesel automatic at 14.59 lakhs ex showroom.

The Carens front looks started growing on me each time I see a video. Here is a car that won't cause people turn their heads. This is a subjective point, but I like low key cars and common colors.
jthomas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 20:02   #10
BHPian

I will divide my opinion in parts:

Gearbox-
IMHO, you should test drive both cars and observe the difference in the gearboxes. Albeit Seltos 1.5 iMT being automatic, the driver will still have to shift gears. In Carens, the driver just needs to slot into D and move. The gearboxes in consideration here are on the opposite end of spectrum.

Space and drivability-
Requirement of extra seats 10 times a year is a good enough reason to choose Carens. Carens has both the space and power to accommodate that. The overtakes in Seltos 1.5 might have to be worked out in case of full occupancy of the car. In Carens, there won’t be any such worry as it will have proper autobox and enough power.

Safety-
Carens offers a host of safety features over Seltos as you have already documented. They further justify the price gap between these cars.

Extended warranty-
I would recommend taking the extended warranty in case of Seltos as this iMT gearbox is quite new here in India. It’s not as simple as a Manual GB.
The 5 years extended warranty for Carens DCT costs 24k for unlimited kms and 19k for 1.2 lac kms. So you can choose the lower plan if your usage isn’t that high.

Good luck with your purchase!

PS: I got Carens PP+ DCT delivered at the start of the month. The gearbox is the smoothest of all I have experienced in any cars in this price bracket. Also, I am quite satisfied with the old school halogen headlights of Carens.
neeraj08 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 13:44   #11
BHPian

If you are primarily going to be self driven, I would still say go with the Seltos. The handling and seating position, plus the SUV feel makes it a nicer option. Doesnt really matter if you have to compromise for 8 - 10 days a year. At least you'll feel good about driving the Seltos most of the year. Buy something nice for the wife and dog with the money you save ;-)
manishk123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 16:33   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a no brainier. Family car = Carens. Don’t bother subjecting your family to the harsh riding Seltos. Space, the more the better. Add to it the proper automatic transmission, and the choice becomes obvious. Petrol or diesel is your pick. My personal suggestion would be to go for the diesel. It’s a much sturdier and perfectly reliable gearbox, the torque converter. And it will be 40% more efficient than the super sensitive turbo petrol. Purchase price is same.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 17:21   #13
BHPian

I would pick the Carens any day over the seltos because:

1. Carens has better ride quality over seltos.
2. Safety package offered by Carens right from the base variant. Seltos has only 2 airbags in the variant you have selected and there are already talks going about new and revamped model being released perhaps this year. So within couple of months of getting the seltos, you will see a newer model already in the market.
3. DCT with paddle shift and drive modes are way better than iMT
4. For longer drives an airy and roomy cabin would lead to a better travel experience for your family compared to the slightly cramped interiors of seltos.
5. In the segment where Carens is competing, there are very few competitors which matches the package offered by Carens, where as in the segment where Seltos is present there are many alternatives to buy from. Hence i feel that Carens will hold on to a better resale value down the line.
6. Rear AC is much more effective in Carens over the Seltos leading to fatigue free travel.
Old 23rd March 2022, 19:42   #14
BHPian

For your requirement set and the options you listed, Carens is a better car. The only fly in the ointment is reliability of that DCT gearbox. But all other variables aside, the convenience of auto gear box is better than a pseudo gear stick. If I am reading it right, it's a game of putting or not putting those extra 3 lacs on the table when it comes to selecting the car/variant combo.
Old 23rd March 2022, 22:49   #15
BHPian

Its the Carens, but again, since you wish to hold the car for over 7 years at the least, its very important to consider the reliability factor of the gearbox as well. Also, Hyundai vehicles are very expensive to maintain as they age, even when they are running all right. I would suggest you to re-consider diesel with the TC gearbox for complete peace of mind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks