Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Should i buy Tata Safari 2021 now or wait for GNCAP results?
Yes, go ahead and buy 109 45.04%
No, wait for GNCAP 133 54.96%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2022, 17:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Advice needed on Tata Safari - Buy now or wait for GNCAP results

I don't understand as to why the issue here is optional. Safety is paramount and must not be compromised voluntarily.If we accept that there are safety concerns with a product. then still going ahead with it is definitely raising the risk associated with motoring. So definitely one should wait and see if the concerned issue is addressed satisfactorily or go for another safer car.
fawad0222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 17:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Wow, what a balance. I just voted for wait making it 75 for 'Wait for GNCAP' and 74 for 'Buy Now'. Reason is simple. TATA being the pioneer in Safety(along with Mahindra) who got even their entry level car tested(TIAGO), not getting their flagships tested is sign enough there's some issue. Am sure they will fix it and come out all guns blazing. Specially now that their arch-rival XUV7OO scored a full 5. Come on TATA, get that 5* for Harrier/Safari

Last edited by SoumenD : 31st March 2022 at 17:59.
SoumenD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 19:02   #18
AZT
BHPian

How long are you willing to wait. What if the test takes 4 months, will you wait and book then.

The car is safe if not the safest and should serve you well. Not voting but set a deadline and dont wait indefinitely.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 20:49   #19
BANNED

As someone above said, book the XUV700 and wait. That way, you either get a GNCAP rated Safari, or a markedly superior product in almost every way in the XUV700.

Who knows, you might get lucky and even get the XUV700 before the Safari gets tested. Best of luck!
CR07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 21:09   #20
BHPian

Have voted Wait. As some members already pointed out, not because of GNCAP, but for the updates TML is bringing to Harrier and Safari whatever it maybe.

It's quite sad that this engine component intrusion to driver side area (below knee area IIRC) is the one point that makes people write off Harrier/Safari as an unsafe vehicle. IMHO, all other safety aspects are top notch at this price range. Also, Jeep Compass/Meridian(having 60+ safety features) and MG Hector should also be impacted by this issue as discussed in the forum elsewhere.

Having said that, there are incidents where even 5 star rated(Euro NCAP, GNCAP) models have resulted in fatalities. Another thing I have noticed (on the road) is that certain people get an aura of invincibility if they are riding a 4* or 5* rated vehicle. I think this has resulted in more accidents.
techmotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 21:26   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojet View Post
Hi,

Last Saturday I took a test drive of Tata Safari at a NCR dealership with captain seats and instantly fell in love with the performance, comfort/ride quality and road presence of the car. Although it doesn't represent the pedigree of previous safari but still its much better than all other rivals i have driven.

Being aware of oil filter intrusion issue and lack of GNCAP rating for Safari, i spoke to few insiders at the dealership and to my surprise, they accepted that this is a known issue on condition of maintaining anonymity for obvious reasons

I remember reading about it in Ram87pune's post

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...-review-7.html (2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review)

I was told there are few changes being made to Safari for the scheduled GNCAP tests later this year. Now i am in a dilemma whether to spend 25+ lakhs on a vehicle which has this issue or to wait till end of this year when this issue has been resolved.

Any thoughts would help. XUV700 is not being considered due to insane waiting time.

Thanks
Turbojet, if you're going to spend that kind of money on an SUV, try to steer clear of TATAs and Mahindras unless you're bound by law or some other reason to do so. None of their vehicles are worth the price tag irrespective of what they have you believe. We all know those glorious YouTube and Magazine reviews are 'sponsored' in different ways. I have no affiliation with any brand but having gone in depth and tearing these vehicles apart often, I can tell you honestly that their build quality, quality of raw materials, plastics, etc. is really substandard. You don't want to throw your hard earned money down this hole.

May I suggest you try exploring Isuzu D-Max or Toyota Innova Crysta in a similar price range? Both these vehicle maybe slightly off your current selection but what I can vouch for is their quality and years of hassle free experience. Both are Japanese and both have proven platforms. You can't go wrong with such brands. Rest it's ultimately your money and your choice
The Rainmaker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 23:30   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainmaker View Post
Turbojet, if you're going to spend that kind of money on an SUV, try to steer clear of TATAs and Mahindras unless you're bound by law or some other reason to do so. None of their vehicles are worth the price tag irrespective of what they have you believe. We all know those glorious YouTube and Magazine reviews are 'sponsored' in different ways. I have no affiliation with any brand but having gone in depth and tearing these vehicles apart often, I can tell you honestly that their build quality, quality of raw materials, plastics, etc.

May I suggest you try exploring Isuzu D-Max or Toyota Innova Crysta in a similar price range? Both these vehicle maybe slightly off your current selection but what I can vouch for is their quality and years of hassle free experience. Both are Japanese and both have proven platforms. You can't go wrong with such brands. Rest it's ultimately your money and your choice
Thanks, i need an automatic and Crysta's current gearbox is not suitable due to an injury. Hyundai's Alcazar is the only other option at the moment. I was not able to attain comfort in Hyundai Tucson's seats.

Last edited by Turbojet : 31st March 2022 at 23:32.
Turbojet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 07:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:

I was told there are few changes being made to Safari for the scheduled GNCAP tests later this year. Now i am in a dilemma whether to spend 25+ lakhs on a vehicle which has this issue or to wait till end of this year when this issue has been resolved.

Any thoughts would help. XUV700 is not being considered due to insane waiting time.

Thanks
Hey,

Since you are willing to wait for the safari's ncap ratings and the oil filter issue to be sorted out, why not just wait for the XUV7OO instead. Its a far better product when it comes to the engine and much more rounded offering. With time the small niggles with 700 also will be sorted. Moreover with time the XUV700 will start to have lesser waiting periods, just take the thar for example, it was had a long waiting period, but just 18 months post launch you could get the car delivered on the same day of booking ( see post below)

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/test-d...-very-next-day

These few months of waiting is nothing compared to the long years your car is going to serve you

Cheers
Cliff
Cliff9091 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 17:33   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Last Saturday I took a test drive of Tata Safari at a NCR dealership with captain seats and

Thanks
If I were you, I would book the XUV 700 and wait, coz you have to wait either way.
In the instant case, I have done just that
ColAjayDrives is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 21:43   #25
BHPian

Hi Turbojet,

I voted for wait. Drove harrier extensively. It feels like a small vehicle while driving and the drive is also sorted. Having said that it would be worthwhile to wait for crash rating before investing 2 millions on a car and later repenting. Safety is not optional, its priority.

Last edited by Tuisha110HP : 1st April 2022 at 21:49.
Tuisha110HP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 02:07   #26
BHPian

I would recommend you wait for the NCAP ratings if you are fixated on the Safari. As someone said earlier, Safety is not optional especially when knowing there is a potential issue with the existing Safari. XUV700 has ridiculous waiting periods of approx 20 months I hear. Not many options I am afraid unless you want to go for the used market.
akannath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 11:04   #27
BHPian

All depends on you. I had booked XUV and then moved on to buy Safari. The car is not unsafe even as it may not be safest. There are enough harriers and safaris on the road and umpteen number of accidental situations where the car has saved its occupants.

I have done 5500 kms in 2 months across UP and MP and I can vouch for ride quality and comfort. If you need the car urgently, go ahead and buy but if you can wait for 15 months, go ahead and book XUV.

Last edited by Torque_Cruiser : 3rd April 2022 at 11:05. Reason: Typo spotted
Torque_Cruiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 14:43   #28
BHPian

Thank you everyone for an overwhelming response.

The results of the poll are very competitive however i will agree with the majority and wait for GNCAP results.
Turbojet is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed