Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should i buy Tata Safari 2021 now or wait for GNCAP results?
Yes, go ahead and buy 109 45.04%
No, wait for GNCAP 133 54.96%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2022, 11:54   #1
BHPian

Advice needed on Tata Safari - Buy now or wait for GNCAP results

Hi,

Last Saturday I took a test drive of Tata Safari at a NCR dealership with captain seats and instantly fell in love with the performance, comfort/ride quality and road presence of the car. Although it doesn't represent the pedigree of previous safari but still its much better than all other rivals i have driven.

Lack of GNCAP rating for Safari and reference to Ram87pune's post

Link (2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review)
I was told there are few changes being made to Safari for the scheduled GNCAP tests later this year. Now i am in a dilemma whether to spend 25+ lakhs on a vehicle which has this issue or to wait till end of this year when this issue has been resolved.

Any thoughts would help. XUV700 is not being considered due to insane waiting time.

Thanks

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th April 2022 at 02:58. Reason: As requested.
Turbojet is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 17:50   #2
BHPian

Re: Advice needed on Tata Safari - Buy now or wait for GNCAP results

As per my sources, Tata Motors is planning to get the Harrier and safari tested by Global NCAP with their new petrol engine only. I would suggest you to go ahead with the XUV7OO booking (if you can wait) if you want a safe car since ADAS makes it a car above its segment and in the coming years with long expressways; ADAS is a must have feature with adaptive cruise control, lane assist and emergency braking.
technicalytuned is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 18:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

As you open the driver`s door of the XUV7OO, the seat moves back and lowers itself for a comfortable egress. With a press of a button you are moved forward and up to a comfortable driving position with very good visibility.

Lets not pretend that an NCAP rating evens things out. It does not.
Kosfactor is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 19:32   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Personally, I would wait for the updated GNCAP version (although my no.1 choice in the segment remains the XUV700). My source too indicated that some changes are being made to the Safari line-up. Here's our dedicated thread on the same:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
We've now learned that both SUVs will be GNCAP tested this year. It is said that Tata Motors is making changes to its production line ahead of the GNCAP tests. Our source says, make of that what you will for the existing cars and their crash rating.
When cheaper Tata models have gotten 5-star safety ratings, there is no reason for the flagship Safari to score any less. Tata will go all out, especially now that arch rival Mahindra XUV700 got full marks in the test. Egos are big in the auto industry & such rivalry makes things better for us customers.

Last edited by GTO : 29th March 2022 at 08:34.
GTO is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 19:51   #5
BHPian

If I were you, I'll wait for the GNCAP results.

In recent times, we've been seeing almost all Tata cars getting tested.

If you buy now, then doubts will surely come in between the ownership about its safety especially the ones like what safety has Tata added that is lacking in my car if Safari/Harrier gets tested with Good ratings.

There's no harm in waiting considering the fact that we've been hearing about changes Tata is making to send to GNCAP. It isn't any 'other fancy feature' that won't matter but it's all about 'safety'.

Thus, I've voted to wait for the results.

Last edited by Bhupesh_2628 : 28th March 2022 at 19:53.
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 20:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Voted Wait.

GNCAP or not, if there's a new TML update then it's worth waiting for if feasible. Primarily because the existing issues would be sorted considering the Harrier as a benchmark.
shancz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 20:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojet View Post
I was told there are few changes being made to Safari for the scheduled GNCAP tests later this year.
There might be under-the-skin changes to the Safari, I'm not quite sure - I wish ram87pune could throw some light on it - but you also have to remember the big changes happening at Global NCAP this year. You might also see a video presentation from Global NCAP in a while.

Personally, I think there's a chance that Tata might be confident of doing well in the new protocols by offsetting the rumoured mediocre(?) frontal impact with other tests that were not performed earlier (side+pole impact, ESC, pedestrian impactor). The report also claims that the Harrier/Safari might be tested in the 'later half of 2022' (which is incidentally when the protocols come into force).

But you shouldn't trust me on this. I could be very wrong. There is a good chance they might have made changes for frontal impact too, because no matter the protocol you just cannot get away with a frontal impact that's as bad as ram87pune claimed.

As a parallel example, the RHD 2015 Kia Carnival tested in Australia by ANCAP had horrible footwell intrusion and rupture unlike the LHD car. In Australia, generally four stars = corporate disaster (individuals & fleets don't buy, insurance companies pay out less for claims, etc). So Kia had to structurally update the 2016 Carnival's footwell to score five stars, despite ANCAP also doing a lot more tests than just the frontal impact. Similarly, with Global NCAP, frontal impact will still form half of the total score and if the total front+side impact score isn't good, paying for extra tests (ESC, pole, pedestrian) would be useless because they're just requirements for higher stars but don't add to the score.

Tata might have had similar pressure now, with them realising the marketing value of a good result and also the XUV700 scoring five stars (though under the older protocols). Even Tata has done it before with the Zest when the older one without airbags zeroed. The one with airbags had structural changes to the footwell too, and it was implemented in production much later than the test on the first car, which explains the huge difference between the publication dates of the no-airbag vs airbag Zest (it was tested with the Scorpio, Eeco etc and was intended to be published in the same round but was published much later, same applies to the Honda Mobilio).

If you are getting the Safari now, please get it with the optional side and curtain airbags. They could protect in multiple other types of crashes that Global NCAP did not previously test for, and more. Same applies if you decide to choose the XUV700 or any other rival.

Should you wait? It's really your choice. Even if it turns out the current Safari has a bad frontal impact you will have size on your side. The NCAP ODB test is against a static deformable barrier and represents a car crashing into another car of the same weight, both moving at ~50km/h. You can use the rating as a tool to compare cars in the same segment, like a Safari with the XUV700 or a Punch with an Ignis. It's still probably a lot better (for occupants) than a lot of other crash partners on the road, like a smaller car. And a five star rival is probably just as dangerous in a highway crash or an underride, but that's not a valid excuse to neglect a better rated car because regardless of its size a car with good frontal impact performance is safer in a frontal off-centre car-to-car crash than a similar car with a weak frontal impact, which you might want to consider. You can't decide what might, heaven forbid, crash into you.
ron178 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 09:21   #8
BHPian

Though I have already got delivery of my XUV700, had I been in your place, I would have waited. It is true that TATA is working to get the Harrier and Safari crash tested and oil filter issue in the FCA engine has been resolved, however, after paying 27-28L which is no way is a small amount for the average salaried class, I just do not have to live in cognitive dissonance and wondering if I and my family members are safe.
Abhikumar629 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 09:31   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojet View Post
Any thoughts would help. XUV700 is not being considered due to insane waiting time.
Book the XUV 7OO and wait, wait till NCAP results are out or your XUV is ready for delivery.

Wait is your new best friend / enemy.
Sheel is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 09:35   #10
BHPian

It's always better to wait for any Tata vehicle to iron out the issues and get more bells and whistles for the price you pay. Who would have thought that oddball looking Nexon would get 40+ variants and ventilated seats when it was launched ! At the current price point I feel Harrier/ Safari twins are overpriced for what they offer. I'd any day pick a XUV700 as the package they're offering is simply irresistible for me !
Akshay6988 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 12:50   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhupesh_2628 View Post
If I were you, I'll wait for the GNCAP results.

In recent times, we've been seeing almost all Tata cars getting tested.

If you buy now, then doubts will surely come in between the ownership about its safety especially the ones like what safety has Tata added that is lacking in my car if Safari/Harrier gets tested with Good ratings.

There's no harm in waiting considering the fact that we've been hearing about changes Tata is making to send to GNCAP. It isn't any 'other fancy feature' that won't matter but it's all about 'safety'.

Thus, I've voted to wait for the results.
I read somewhere the issue is with the Fiat-sourced engine which does not allow as good a safety rating in right-hand driven cars (due to a component at a position that impacts safety) and there's nothing that can be done about it.
siren373 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 13:00   #12
BANNED

For sure wait, you don’t want buyers remorse with a vehicle that in all likelihood will never be tested (diesel safari)
Wait and get a tested car
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 13:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure what will change if you wait for the crash test ratings. TAMO would not change anything major to the car that it will pass the crash test with flying colors. And if they are not making any great structural changes, then you can go ahead and book the car now. But, if I were you, I would definitely go for the 7OO. A few months of wait is worth the product you will be receiving. It is beyond the segment and has been tested even before the delivery process started. I am currently using the 3OO and trust me, the build quality of these cars is just awesome.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 13:09   #14
BHPian

Hi,
As TBHP'ian Sheel suggested, book the XUV7OO and wait for the NCAP results of the Safari. Your dilemma will be sorted out this way. I actually voted for "buy now" but I change my mind now. A few months of waiting is worth it IMHO.
Pkumarblore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 13:40   #15
BHPian

I am quite surprised to see the Poll results (52 for and 54 against) at the time of my voting. That's 48% bhpians advising OP to go ahead and buy the car now.

As there is no indication of fuel preference, and based on the rumours / sources cited on Tbhp, I too would suggest booking the XUV700 if you are looking for a diesel mill. If you're keen on Petrol, still book the XUV700 and wait for the updated Safari with GNCAP results.
Coyote is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks