Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2022, 01:14   #16
BHPian

Re: Which big diesel pick-up truck in the UAE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
Hello all,

Background: 3 member family in UAE, recently got my Dubai driving license although i was driving here for the last 1 year on IDP.
Wish you all the best with car hunt.

India issued IDP is valid in UAE for one year? Pls feel free to share more information on india issued IDP.
Old 5th April 2022, 02:48   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Guys, check out cars24 uae. Pretty neat cars plus pricing includes insurance, registration and 2 years warranty also. I’m trying to close a deal on a Honda Civic with them, quite smooth dealings.
Please let us know how it goes with them. I am also planning to visit them in next 1-2 days. I have heard that the warranty is only valid if cars are serviced through them. Not sure how true it is though.
jamwaldds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 03:23   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac23 View Post
Whatever you buy, don't buy that Mitsubishi L200. Terrible car. The shocks are so hard and breaks all bones.
I have to spend some time to TD the car then. I was impressed after seeing this video

Quote:
Originally Posted by top_gear View Post
Wish you all the best with car hunt.
India issued IDP is valid in UAE for one year? Pls feel free to share more information on india issued IDP.
Thank you. Yes, 1 year. About Rs 1000 i think. No agent, book slot and visit the RTA on the slot time. In, out of RTA in 1 hour with IDP in my hand. Hyderabad RTA. Can apply for IDP only from the RTA that issued your original DL.

Once in UAE, can use it to drive only if you are on visit visa. IDP can no longer be used to drive the moment you change to resident status. The driving schools told me the drivers license process will take atleast 2 to 3 months. Couldn't afford to stay immobile for so much time, so was hesitant to take the golden visa and continued renewing my visit visa every 3 months. Then Dubai govt. announced this
https://www.khaleejtimes.com/transpo...sses-heres-how

It meant i can get the license much quickly now. So, took the golden visa, obtained the emirates ID soft copy and immediately applied for the license. (the hard copy takes 1 week more to reach by post). Told the school, i'll register only if you can get me a slot today. Passed theory test same day and got priority slot for road test after 2 days. So, got Dubai driving license in 2 days which is otherwise a very tedious process.
water is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 11:59   #19

Hi Water,

Please stay away from All Freezone car dealers to buy your first car here. Spend some time, explore the motoring landscape and you will hear innumerable unhappy stories about these dealers. If buying pre-ownde, buy from a well known and established dealer like the Automalls etc. Peace of mind and warranty would be advisable for your 1st car in the UAE. GCC spec is a good safe bet.

Diesel is a puzzling choice. You can always fulfill your heart's desire by driving the Compass and the Ecosport back home.

Get a new/pre-owned Pick up truck like the Silverado, F150, GMC or the Ram. Plenty of options in the pre-owned market.

If going pre-owned from private sellers, do insist on a full check up by a FNG or better still the authorised dealer.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers
rd_maverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 12:15   #20
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you. Yes, 1 year. About Rs 1000 i think. No agent, book slot and visit the RTA on the slot time. In, out of RTA in 1 hour with IDP in my hand. Hyderabad RTA. Can apply for IDP only from the RTA that issued your original DL.

Once in UAE, can use it to drive only if you are on visit visa. IDP can no longer be used to drive the moment you change to resident status. The driving schools told me the drivers license process will take atleast 2 to 3 months. Couldn't afford to stay immobile for so much time, so was hesitant to take the golden visa and continued renewing my visit visa every 3 months. Then Dubai govt. announced this
https://www.khaleejtimes.com/transpo...sses-heres-how

It meant i can get the license much quickly now. So, took the golden visa, obtained the emirates ID soft copy and immediately applied for the license. (the hard copy takes 1 week more to reach by post). Told the school, i'll register only if you can get me a slot today. Passed theory test same day and got priority slot for road test after 2 days. So, got Dubai driving license in 2 days which is otherwise a very tedious process.
Very informative and impressive as well. Getting UAE license is very long and elaborate process. It took me 3 months to get license - 10 years back even though i took VIP (expedited) package.

I have no intentions to sabotage main topic of this thread but sharing your experience on golden visa process could be very helpful.
top_gear is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 12:24   #21
BHPian

As almost everyone has highlighted, it makes little or no sense in buying a diesel. I have driven more than 6 cars and can recommend the explorer or land cruiser to you if you want a big bulky SUV. Diesel servicing, parts availability and even fuel availability in remote areas is not great. Hence I would advise against the diesel if this is going to be your primary car.

Also, I had few friends who had American/ Canadian imports and I would not even touch these cars due to below:
1. These are mainly accidental/ salvaged/ flood damage cars. Hence, long term reliabilty would be an issue
2. The AC would not suffice in the middle eastern climate
3. The dust protection is non-existent. I had a friend whose cars engine was replaced due to entry of dust particles owing to lack of dust protection air filters
4. Many of these cars would start rusting and paint will start peeling off due to head and humidity. The moment you repaint a car, say goodbye to resale value
5. The insurance for non GCC cars is costly and no insurer would offer agency maintenance unless you are willing to use connects or pay significantly high premium
6. The rubbers and joints would start hardening and expect a lot of upkeep
7. The service centres would not provide any warranty and many would even refuse to service the cars. Hence you would be dependent on third party garages
8. These cars would have significantly low resale value
9. In an unfortunate scenario if your car goes up the flames, you would need to bang a lot of doors since the manufacturer would not issue worthiness certificate which is mandatory for insurance claim
theflyingguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 14:40   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_maverick View Post
Please stay away from All Freezone car dealers to buy your first car here.
Cheers
Everyone has unanimously asked me to stay away from non GCC cars even though the odo is at zero kms. I think thats the better choice and i have decided to drop the non GCC options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by top_gear View Post
I have no intentions to sabotage main topic of this thread but sharing your experience on golden visa process could be very helpful.
Wife is a doctor, applied in that category. Although, i could have got one myself independently; employer benefits dictated i, my daughter be sponsored.
Tip: complete medical test first so GDRFA doesn't have to wait for your medical result after they receive your application. Went to Smart Salem, CityWalk for result in 30 minutes. Went to Amer - Al Taresh in Al Kifaf, gave the docs (even photocopies or softcopies are enough). Received approval SMS within 30 minutes while i was on the Deira Floating Bridge on my way to hotel (technically i cannot drive with IDP anymore, but was helpless). Reached hotel and parked the car for 3 days. Used Dubai metro, bus till i got my drivers license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyingguy View Post
As almost everyone has highlighted, it makes little or no sense in buying a diesel. I have driven more than 6 cars and can recommend the explorer or land cruiser to you if you want a big bulky SUV. Diesel servicing, parts availability and even fuel availability in remote areas is not great. Hence I would advise against the diesel if this is going to be your primary car.

Also, I had few friends who had American/ Canadian imports and I would not even touch these cars due to below:
You touched on many points that i would have not considered otherwise. Thanks for the inputs. I dropped the idea of non GCC cars. I am looking at used/ new GCC options now. This will be my primary and only car, hence it has to be an all rounder. I am looking at the Ford Ranger, Ford F150 Powerboost, VW Teramont, Skoda Kodiaq, Toyota Highlander hybrid likes. With fuel prices at all time highs combined with my high annual running, fuel economy is something i need to factor in.
water is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 16:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Everyone has unanimously asked me to stay away from non GCC cars even though the odo is at zero kms. I think thats the better choice and i have decided to drop the non GCC options.
Great decision! As others have rightly mentioned the pain and trouble is just not worth the money you might initially save.

Quote:
I am looking at the Ford Ranger, Ford F150 Powerboost, VW Teramont, Skoda Kodiaq, Toyota Highlander hybrid likes. With fuel prices at all time highs combined with my high annual running, fuel economy is something i need to factor in.
First thing I would suggest is to also take a look at the reddit thread r/DubaiPetrolHeads. They are definitely not as active as our beloved Team-BHP. However, there are a few nuggets of wisdom available there, particularly regarding reviews of used cars dealers, both the authorized branded ones as well as the ones a little further down the reliability scale.

I am not sure if the Powerboosts would be available as used cars yet (unless you approach the variety of dodgy dealers in the used cars marketplaces, either online or physical), because they just arrived with the 2021/22 model years. It seems from your preferences that you are looking at crew cabs since you are looking to use it both as your daily driver as well as your steed for long road trips, with luggage. In that case, the Powerboosts might be one of your costlier options. However, none of the other options you are currently considering can come close in terms of road presence, driving feel or "beefiness". If you are considering the F150, the Ranger just does not cut it in terms of comfort or features.

Both the Highlander and the Teramont have ample space inside and can be easily used as a daily driver. But, the engines available lack the oomph and the pull needed for a long drive on the wonderful highways we have both in the UAE as well as in the neighboring GCC countries and the suspension wallows around a bit.

Considering your requirements that the vehicle have some street cred and badass looks, I would suggest that you also look at the Jeep Gladiator Sand Runner as well as well as the Ram 1500 Rebel, which are available in similar price ranges. But, as you seem worried about safety, I would suggest to keep away from Jeep if you can, and focus on the F150 or the Ram 1500 as they are rated with 5 star safety. Moreover, there are other pickup options like the GMC Sierra or the Chevrolet Silverado, both available in crew cab configurations, albeit with not as many features or safety ratings as the F150 or the Ram 1500.

There are also special editions of the Y61 Nissan Patrols, called the Patrol Safaris. They OOZE street cred. You could give them a look too, but again, the models are old and so, don't expect any fancy electronics in them.

Similarly, there is whole fanbase for the LC70 series which were released for private registration last year, in a special edition called the Overlander series, both as a 5 door SUV as well as a 4 door pickup. They are available with manual transmission only, with the trusty old Toyota 4.0L engine. There were a couple of specimens still remaining with Al Futtaim Toyota, the official dealers of Toyota in the UAE and would be worth a look, just for the thrill of it. Here are a few I found on their online inventory, LAND CRUISER PICK UP 2021 VXR and LAND CRUISER PICK UP 2021 LX

One other option you could consider would be the new Ford Bronco. They are rough, tough and ready to take a tumble. But, when I checked in February 2022, I had heard that there was no test drive vehicle available, the waiting period was 8 months and cars were being manufactured according to order currently. So, I don't think it would satisfy your requirement of walking in, plonking down the cash and driving out.

There is also the option of the brand new 2022 Land Cruisers being available in the lowest trim (EXR) with fabric seats and smaller entertainment head units. However, for me, that just translates to being easier to manage and there are less things that can go wrong. Apparently, their stock is readily available, as is for the FJ Cruiser which unfortunately doesn't have much space for the rear passengers, has a LOT of body roll and, even though freshly produced for the Middle East, is a really old model... but I think it would put a smile on your face when you see it everyday just waiting in the parking like an adorable golden retriever.

A side note: While visiting the RAMs, you may notice that they are still producing the older gen Ram 1500s in a special edition called the Warlock (basically blacked out interiors and darkened lights). However, this model is on the way out and also the safety is questionable. Because of the missing features and the age, it's considerably more affordable than the new-gen RAMs. But I think you would be better off looking at the official dealer's used cars sections wherein they seem to have a lot of 2021 models just coming up recently with not that high of a mileage. As is for any dealership used cars, make sure that they are not test drive cars since the media over here play around with them a lot too. There are management used cars available and those would be in pristine condition and worth the money as they are often kilometer limited and properly serviced.

Also, I am not affiliated to any of the above mentioned/linked dealers or online portals.
kung_foo_fanta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 17:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Wife is a doctor, applied in that category. Although, i could have got one myself independently; employer benefits dictated i, my daughter be sponsored.
Getting employer NOC towards applying golden visa is biggest challenge. .
Old 6th April 2022, 11:09   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwaldds View Post
I would really appreciate any help on the following:
1. What is the perceived reliability of cars mentioned above? I am planning to keep the car for at lease 2.5 years.
2 what is the expected unexpected? I can absorb a damage of 8000 AED (+ a bit) annually for any unexpected expense.
3. Do you recommend buying from dealers (Alfuttaim Automall) or Dubizzle/Yallamotor/Carswitch directly?
I would recommend the beemer followed by Infiniti and then Audi. The thumb rule of UAE is that the Japanese are much easier to maintain and service than the Germans. So if reliability is highly important, Infiniti takes the first spot.

If you are buying first used car in UAE, I would suggest sticking with someone who provides the warranty. Part switches, kilometer reduction and other techniques are pretty common. I would also suggesting investing some more and get the car tested from FNGs and also check service history from the manufacturer.

Happy driving.
theflyingguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 12:29   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyingguy View Post
I would recommend the beemer followed by Infiniti and then Audi. The thumb rule of UAE is that the Japanese are much easier to maintain and service than the Germans. So if reliability is highly important, Infiniti takes the first spot.

If you are buying first used car in UAE, I would suggest sticking with someone who provides the warranty. Part switches, kilometer reduction and other techniques are pretty common. I would also suggesting investing some more and get the car tested from FNGs and also check service history from the manufacturer.

Happy driving.
Thank you so much for the guidance.
Besides Al Futtaim, there are a few more like Alba Cars, Linda Cars and Cars 24 UAE who are offering warranty on the cars. However, the warranty only covers mechanical components and not the electrical ones. Also, they only provide coverage if the car is serviced through them. It that a standard practice in the region? Do you have any recommendation?

Thank you
Old 6th April 2022, 15:09   #27
BANNED

Thanks, that's a lot of valuable information packed in a post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_foo_fanta View Post
There is also the option of the brand new 2022 Land Cruisers being available in the lowest trim (EXR) with fabric seats and smaller entertainment head units.
Any idea on the price it starts at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_foo_fanta View Post
As is for any dealership used cars, make sure that they are not test drive cars since the media over here play around with them a lot too. There are management used cars available and those would be in pristine condition and worth the money as they are often kilometer limited and properly serviced.
Any reliable way to identify TD car from management used cars? Asking upfront may not give the correct answer i think.
Old 6th April 2022, 18:51   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea on the price it starts at?
AED 230k, so, around INR 48L. I have attached the official spec sheet with prices here. You can find them on the website as well.

Pricing is quite transparent (and fairly rigid) here since there is only a single, authorized reseller for most brands (for instance, Al Tayer for Ford, Ferrari, Lincoln, Maserati, etc, Al Futtaim Trading Enterprises for Toyota, Honda, Jeep, RAM, Dodge, Volvo, Polestar, Lexus and I think Lotus for a while, Al Rostamani for Nissan, Infiniti and Renault).

Even if there are multiple dealers, they have fixed regions (for instance AGMC is the dealer for BMW, Mini and Rolls Royce in Dubai, while Abu Dhabi Motors is the dealer in Abu Dhabi and northern emirates).

This actually gives a bit of leeway in terms of pricing for the brands with multiple dealers, like BMW & Mini is cheaper (around 10% cheaper) in Abu Dhabi than Dubai, as long as you take the trouble to go there, test drive and buy the car, because the servicing and registration can be done in Dubai itself, irrespective of where you bought it from, because BMW Middle East coordinates the "servicing" services with the service centers directly and the dealer helps you (or basically, completes the whole process) for registering the car in any Emirate as long as it's an official dealer.

Quote:
Any reliable way to identify TD car from management used cars? Asking upfront may not give the correct answer i think.
I usually look for 3 conditions:
  1. The mileage will be around 10k or 15k
  2. The interiors will have no scratches or wear & tear, because the cars are actually checked often and management are penalized for every bit of damage
  3. The sales advisor's response

because here they are quite open about it and sometimes even advertise it on the website saying that it's a management car, because people take it to mean that it's been lovingly cared for.

And even if it's test drive car, they mention that too, saying that it's a management car that's occasionally used for test drives, or that it's a long term media review car. But I think they would prefer for you to actually buy new cars and often try to turn you away from used models.

So, while looking at a used model, you might even hear, "This is a great car, but as you are my dedicated / valued / wonderful / fantabulous / perfect / ready-to-plonk-the-cash-down customer, I can speak to the management and for this price, get you the new model, but maybe not in this exterior/interior colour", and you know you would have hit the jackpot. I heard this at Al Futtaim Toyota on Sheikh Zayed Road and at the Festival City branch a while back. Although, I am not sure how commonplace this would be nowadays considering the limited quantities of incoming new stock.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AlFuttaim-LandCruiser-2022-4L.pdf (223.9 KB, 149 views)

Most Viewed