Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Jeep Compass would you buy?
1.4L Turbo-Petrol 6-Speed MT 12 3.52%
1.4L Turbo-Petrol 7-Speed DCT 30 8.80%
2.0L Diesel 6-speed MT 129 37.83%
2.0L Diesel 9-Speed AT 170 49.85%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2022, 16:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Compass | 1.4L Turbo-Petrol vs 2.0L Turbo-Diesel | Which engine & gearbox would you choose?

Jeep India launched the updated Compass SUV a year ago. The 2021 Jeep Compass brought in a number of significant updates, both in terms of exterior & interior design, as well as the addition of a host of features and technology.

Both engines come paired with a host of transmission options including a 6-speed manual, a 7-speed DCT and a 9-speed AT.

Jeep Compass | 1.4L Turbo-Petrol vs 2.0L Turbo-Diesel | Which engine & gearbox would you choose?-jeepcompasspoll1.jpg

Starting with the petrol version, the Jeep Compass comes powered by a 1.4-litre turbocharged petrol engine. It produces 160 BHP and 250 Nm. The motor is available across all variants and is offered with a standard 7-speed DCT automatic transmission. The base 'Sport' trim though does come with a 6-speed manual gearbox option. Further, the Compass petrol trims are offered with a 4x2 configuration as standard.

Name:  jeepcompasspoll2.jpg
Views: 2186
Size:  131.6 KB

The diesel engine on the Jeep Compass comes in the form of a 2.0-litre unit (which also powers multiple other SUVs, including the Tata Harrier, Safari, MG Hector & Hector Plus). The oil burner produces 171 BHP and 350 Nm and is paired with a 6-speed manual transmission sending power to the front wheels. The mid and top-spec variants (Limited, Model S & Trailhawk) are offered with a 4x4 configuration, which uses a 9-speed automatic transmission.

So, if you were to buy the Jeep Compass, which engine option would you pick & why?

Jeep Compass | 1.4L Turbo-Petrol vs 2.0L Turbo-Diesel | Which engine & gearbox would you choose?-jeepcompasspoll3.jpg

GTO recently drove the 2022 Jeep Compass Diesel AT and here's what he had to say, "I’ll give the Diesel AT combination a 7 / 10 rating, deducting 1.5 points for the occasional slow response times & confused nature, and 1.5 points for not having paddle shifters or a Sport mode. The gearbox is smooth & easy to live with. If you're a calm driver or even one who pushes the car at 7/10ths, you'll be fine. I must mention the Diesel AT is not dimwitted or painful like the Compass Petrol DCT which I would give a 4 / 10 rating."

Read GTO's full review on the Compass Trailhawk here (Jeep Compass : Official Review).

Last edited by GTO : 5th April 2022 at 18:36.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 18:32   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jeep Compass | 1.4L Turbo-Petrol vs 2.0L Turbo-Diesel | Which engine & gearbox would you choose?

A most interesting poll of a very interesting (albeit overpriced) car.

The 1.4L DCT is poor, so that's out the window for me. I have heard decent things about the 1.4L Petrol MT, but it seems to be very elusive in availability and doesn't come in the well-equipped variants either.

In terms of the "fun-to-drive" factor, nothing touches the 2.0 Diesel 6-speed MT on the open road. I would prefer it over the likes of a C-Class on my favourite roads. But I can't live with an MT on a daily basis anymore. Hence, my vote goes for the next best, the 2.0 Diesel Automatic. It's not the most intelligent of ATs like the ZF 8-speed, yet it does manage a 7 / 10 rating overall. The Diesel AT is nice to live with.

Last edited by GTO : 5th April 2022 at 18:40.
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 18:48   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jeep Compass | 1.4L Turbo-Petrol vs 2.0L Turbo-Diesel | Which engine & gearbox would you choose?

Voted with my wallet last week and brought home the 2.0 Diesel MT.

Reasons -

1. My Punto had raked in a lot of highway miles till Covid struck. 2.0 MT would be the most brilliant choice there.
2. Budget was already stretched out. Automatic is 5L onroad extra, with 4*4 not optional.
3. The automatic isn't brilliant so as to repent it, yet. GTO's 7/10 rating helped seal my decision.
4. Would have preferred an automatic, but not a necessity for me. Also, the one automatic I have isn't any fun to drive.
5. Petrol AT is even more expensive than the diesel MT. Has poor reviews too! During my TD - it either felt sluggish, or extremely fast and inefficient, and struggled to maintain a decent, constant pace between these two extremes. 1.4 petrol MT is the most VFM option, though available only on the base variant.

In terms of drive train options - Compass really needs to borrow that 2.0 FWD AT from the upcoming Meridian. Not everyone who needs an automatic, needs to have 4*4 capabilities. That 1.4 petrol needs to be replaced as well, and rumour has it that a new 1.3 is on it's way!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th April 2022 at 18:57.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 19:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I have the 2 liter diesel MT as my daily driver. As good as the gearbox is, the clutch gets heavy over time and feels tedious in traffic. My vote goes to the diesel engine with the 9 speed automatic. Sheer convenience. I can’t live with manuals anymore.

On a related note, they really need to offer the diesel AT in basic front wheel drive configuration. Not everyone needs 4x4, and the current premium charged for this combo is simply exorbitant.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 5th April 2022 at 19:04.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 19:44   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

In other words Jeep Compass does not have a drive train that is worthy of the premium asking price.

But why? No competition as such. The next stop has to be Ze Germans & well that's another story.

Those who could live with a Duster 110 can manage the 2.0 MT , you do miss the comfort of Duster & the space & surprisingly the refinement too (before the injectors start to pack up).
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 13:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

If it's a compass, it has to be the 2.0MJD.

The only dilemma is choosing between the 6 speed Manual or the 9 speed DCT.

If this was any other city, I'd probably pick the more value for money 6 speed manual in a lower trim but unfortunately Mumbai traffic and a city oriented commute means the 9 speed DCT would be the practical choice.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 15:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Compass makes sense to me only if the 4x4 version is considered. Otherwise, Creta, Seltos, or the vans will be my pick. Since the 4x4 is available only with the diesel AT, my choice is straightforward. 2.0 MJD with 9 speed AT.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 6th April 2022 at 15:37.
padmrajravi is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 17:09   #8
BHPian

Neither.

DSG has spoiled me and not willing to go back to manual.

If buying Jeep would want the 4×4. But slow AT is big No No for me.So till they improve the GB no Jeep for me.
MADMAX111 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 19:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

I enjoyed my Petrol DCT Compass drive very much. It's a very relaxed cruiser and excellent for city use at city speeds, not really meant for putting your foot down as if it's an Octavia or so, although on the Highways I've heard it doesn't disappoint.
While I did not get to drive the 2.0 Diesel Compass personally so I cannot comment on its drive but I did briefly sit in one and the vibrations were horrible, the opposite was true in the Compass Petrol, extremely refined and quiet cabin.
Maky is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 20:09   #10
BHPian

Even though my monthly running doesn't justify diesel car at all, I would anytime take 2.0 diesel AT. Can't think of driving diesel MT in Mumbai traffic. This is my dream car so as I said in other thread, I really hope my wallet and wife will allow one day.
Sachin V.W. is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 20:27   #11
BHPian

Keeping aside the fact that the Compass itself is overpriced for what it really offers, I would pick the 2.0-litre diesel AT anyday due to the effortless power delivery and frugal nature.

For an user with high usage, the 2.0-litre diesel AT makes more sense than the 1.4-litre MultiAir petrol. Honestly speaking, I just love how the engine pulls from 2,000rpm to 5,000rpm in one seamless, strong tug. It's true that the unit had lost some zing in the transition to BS6 spec, but I still love the MultiJet II engine for its easy access to power. The 9-speed torque converter transmission combines the engine’s characteristics well with smooth shifts but, it isn't so snappy. And to get the downshifts to be little bit more responsive, we need to slot the gear lever to opt for manual mode.
Old 6th April 2022, 21:44   #12
BHPian

None from the current lot would be my pick . If I am not wrong the pre facelift Compass used to come in MJD 2.0 MT 4*4. I would love to have one if made available again and for a car costing over 30 L on road needs to have all the creature comforts from the model S. Cruise control is something that will make it lot easier on the knees especially for long distance drivers like me. With the AT not tuned perfectly such a variant should have some buyers.

After my recent Sikkim trip I have made up my mind that my next car would be a 4*4 even though I may not need it more than 5% of overall drive. But its always handy to have a 4*4 in case you may need it sometime if you can afford one.

I did the whole trip on my Punto and didn't have any issues per se except for a puncture but the drive was never relaxed due to bad road conditions. A 4*4 would have made life lot easier allowing me to enjoy the scenery rather than being fixated on the road ahead.

Voted for 2.0L Diesel 9-Speed AT since a 4*4 and cruise are most important features whenever I shop for my next car
nibedk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 23:16   #13
BHPian

When I bought my Compass in 2019 November, automatic was available only in the petrol variant. I test drove it a few times, because I wanted an automatic. But the sluggish nature of the transmission put me off. In certain scenarios, I felt like I was endlessly waiting for the gear shift and the car to move forward. So I picked up the manual diesel. I drive it daily in Bangalore traffic. The clutch is not the lightest, but the shifts are smooth and the car is a joy to drive. My previous daily drive was a diesel ecosport. The clutch is comparable to the ecosport's clutch and the shifts are way smoother. If you like super light clutches, then the manual diesel is not for you. For me, the slightly heavy clutch is an acceptable trade off, for the joy I get when I slot into the right gear and the car just races ahead. I just patiently wait for the traffic to clear and get a relatively empty stretch. Haven't driven the diesel automatic, so would not comment on it.
Old 6th April 2022, 23:28   #14
BHPian

Voted for the Diesel Manual for the sheer pleasure of driving! I am not a fan of ATs and therefore I would give it a pass. Compared to the 2L diesel, I do not think the 1.4L comes anywhere close.
Old 7th April 2022, 18:08   #15
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Voted for the Petrol AT as we just purchased one.
The biggest reason that swayed us to the petrol version was the noise and vibration free ride. The noise levels were very important for us, both road as well as the engine noise levels. We tried out both the diesel and the petrol models and although the petrol one seemed a bit under powered, the noise levels while parked in our garage were a good 5+ db lower inside the car. I compared it to our Volvo V90CC and the compass Petrol was pretty much the same.
Even on road the noise levels were much lower than the diesel.This was our main reason to go with the Petrol rather than the diesel. If they had applied better sound deadening materials to the engine compartment and the firewall, we would have happily gone with the Diesel AT version.
chandu is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks