Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2022, 14:49   #1

Search for the "Perfect Car" in the 40 - 45 lakh range

No Perfect car in the 40L-45L range?

Hi Petrolheads, A quick introduction of me. I'm a 23years old Automobile Engineer. We are a Family of 5. My family loves road trips. We sold our 2013 Toyota Innova before the pandemic since it has crossed 5,00,000kms. This should give you an idea of our usage. We also have a 2013 Ford Endeavour 3.0AT at home. After using and loving every minute of my 2013 Ford Endeavour 3.0 AT we have decided to sell the car and get another SUV to replace it.

The problems with our endeavour are
  1. the rear is very bumpy(due to the leaf springs)
  2. the floor is too high you sit in a slight knees-up position in the second row. The third-row seats are not for adults.
  3. the car somehow became noisier than when it was new. (the engine sound and the TC gearbox)
  4. Fuel efficiency is below average.
Expectations from the new car
  1. Should have a very comfortable ride and very good NVH
  2. Must be a safe car with all the safety features, NCAP rating, etc.
  3. Nice and plush interiors.
  4. A long list of features and creature comforts
  5. Hassle-free after-sales Network
  6. Reliable and fuss-free ownership
  7. Fun to drive, Mile muncher and highway cruiser.
So here’s the question

Is there any perfect/good car for sale in India in the 40-45L range?

As far as I know, the answer is actually no

First in consideration was Ford Endeavour. Endeavour really was the best car in that price range but it failed to sell in good numbers compared to the Fortuner. Now that Ford India has shut shop here what are we Indians left with.

1. Overpriced Fortuner?
2. Outdated Kia Carnival?
3. MG Gloster?
4. Used Ford Endeavour 3.2?

Cars we considered

Ford Endeavour 2021
I drove the previous 3.2l Ford endeavour and I can't help but notice how the performance is let down in the 2.0L one. It's a fast SUV but it is not as fun to drive as the 3.2. the new gearbox tries to hide the downsizing of the engine well but the punch from the 3.2 is still missing. But the endeavour is cheaper to maintain than the competition. Moreover, I'm annoyed by the way Ford India keeps on removing features from the endeavour. They removed Active Noise Cancellation,10 speakers system, Rear A/c with heating, Ambient lights near the door pads, backlight on the gear lever. Thought of waiting till the bi-turbo is launched but after Ford India’s exit, have to remove a brand new Endeavour from the list.

Used Ford Endeavour 3.2L 2018
I think the best car to buy right now is a used Ford Endeavour 3.2. Endeavour had an update in 2018 with keyless entry and a few visuals changes I absolutely love the way this model looks. Panel gaps are tight and this makes the whole car look strong and well built like a tank IMO. But the main problem here is there are not many 2018 Ford Endeavours 3.2 for sale in Hyderabad right now. I couldn’t find even one in the whole of Telangana in OLX. According to me a 2018 Endeavour 3.2L with 20,000-25,000kms on the odometer will be a good buy. If anyone here has any leads please help me find one.

Toyota Fortuner
This car sells in good numbers and has slightly more road presence than any other SUV in this price range. Because it sells more the resale value is also good. (same with the endeavour too but people are not noticing it yet). I know some people who knew that Endeavour is a better car and still chose Fortuner because Fortuner is looked at as an investment. For example, a 3-year-old used Fortuner with 1lakh km on odo will easily fetch you 30-35l in Hyderabad. as a Toyota owner, I know that the after-sales service is on point though I think the service costs are a little on the higher side. The car is overpriced for sure and even after the new facelift it still misses many features. the ride is bumpy, my 2013 endeavour rides well than the current generation Fortuner the NVH is also not as good as you expect. After paying 45.25l on road on would not like to hear the diesel clutter inside the cabin. The top-end costs 50L which is not justified according to me. My family hates the Fortuner. So it is not an option for me. But now I think there’s no competition for the Fortuner

Toyota Innova Crysta
We Already have an Innova Crysta in the family and we don't want to buy a new one the recent facelift is a minor one without any major changes the fact that the top end z variant gets only captain seats in the second row and the way the wheel wells eats up the space in the third-row seats didn't go well with my family we recently went to Tirupathi a one-way journey of 600kms from my place made my mom mad about the insufficient space in the third row. she used to sit in the third row of our old Innova and not complain at all the whole trip. the price of the Crysta is 28.7l for a manual which is overpriced for sure. the Crysta is also not an option for me.

Kia Carnival
Haven't had a test drive in it yet but from the reviews, I saw I know that it has a low ground clearance. With 7 people on board, it will not only scrape the underbelly of the car on a speed breaker but will also cause some serious underbody damage if the driver couldn't notice the breaker on time. The ingress to the third row in the limousine variant looks hard. The fact that the driver gets cooled seats on the front passenger doesn't get one really annoys me. It has a small infotainment display but has two separate screens behind the headrests for the second and third-row passengers. The car looks very wide which will be a problem to drive and park on narrow roads. This is strictly a chauffeur-driven car I don’t think I’ll enjoy driving it as much as other cars. I don't have any serious complaints about the carnival. But the fact that the latest generation of carnival isn't being offered in India is holding me from buying the carnival

Mahindra Alturas
I don't like the looks of this SUV it is more car-like. It doesn't have enough road presence. The Third row feels claustrophobic. The interior looks nice and premium. But I don't wish to own a 38L Mahindra. I worked as an intern in a Mahindra dealership service and seeing the way they treat a customer I would not invest a single lakh of my hard-earned money into buying a car from them. This dealer's service is really pathetic. This particular dealership where I worked is the worst I would wait at least 5 more years before buying a Mahindra I don't know about the other dealership. Hyderabad has only two major dealers. But my experience at this particular dealership where I worked has scared me for my life. Also, I don’t think they’re still selling the Alturas G4 anymore

MG Gloster
MG Gloster is packed with features and ADAS. But it’s a relatively new car and I’m a little sceptical about investing 47L on road for a freshly baked car. I test drove the Gloster the car felt a little bumpy at 20-25 speeds the car didn’t feel well put together and during the whole test drive which was for 30-40mins the navigation in the MID was not showing anything except a loading animation. The resolution of the 360-degree surround camera is not so great. I felt it didn’t have enough road presence. As mentioned in the Team-Bhp official review the low-end turbo lag is very evident and this makes the drive not as enjoyable as I would like. On the plus side, it is the longest with the best in class wheelbase amongst the competition.

Please help me decide on my next car. I didn’t consider Skoda Kodiaq because they’re all sold out. I can’t hold the purchase for later and need to book the car before Aug 2022.
AutoV is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 20:47   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Search for the "Perfect Car" in the 40 - 45 lakh range

No such thing as the perfect car, buddy, not even when you're spending 2 - 3 crore rupees. Every car has its pros & cons. You just have to pick that magical one that your head-and-heart agree on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoV View Post
Expectations from the new car
The Kia Carnival is perfect for you. Either get the current one (super luxurious) or wait for Kia to launch the next-gen Carnival. An Innova Crysta 2.4L AT (with captain seats) will also suit your requirements really well.

Suggestion = take a spin in the Toyota Camry Hybrid. 15 kmpl in the city, almost "Lexus" levels of luxury, decently fun-to-drive and will easily last 300,000 - 400,000 km with proper maintenance. Drive it and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Would've suggested the Kodiaq, but no way your high running can accommodate the usual Skoda nonsense & lack of reliability.

Last edited by GTO : 20th April 2022 at 20:48.
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 22:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please help me decide on my next car. I didn’t consider Skoda Kodiaq because they’re all sold out. I can’t hold the purchase for later and need to book the car before Aug 2022.
The "elusive" perfect car does not exist, my friend

Since you have already ruled the Fortuner out (not sure if you test-drove the facelift version), you don't seem to have many options.

• XUV 7OO could pleasantly surprise you and save you some money as well, though waiting periods are a bummer
  • Facelifted Tiguan is a good mile muncher but running costs might be a deterrent, given your high usage

If you do not find a well maintained Endeavour 3.2, your best bet is an Innova. Do try the facelifted Fortuner, it is a surprisingly good package.

Last edited by cool_dube : 20th April 2022 at 22:03.
cool_dube is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 23:40   #4
BHPian

A bit off topic, its interesting to see quiet a few recent posts including one from me on the same subject, in recent past. The common denominator is, what car in the 40 to 50L OTR price bracket! Clearly this is a space that is lacking choices. Either the options are overpriced for what they offer or the reliability is suspect. Options that existed at one point in time but are sorely missed now are the Endeavor, Accord, CR-V, Passat and Santa-Fe. It would have been lovely to have more of these options. Personally I have started believing that it might be worth waiting out this crazy demand vs supply mismatch to cool off.
SR-71 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 08:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Your comment about Crysta's third row not being spacious rules out everything except four or five cars in the Indian market. If that is a hard requirement, the only choices in your budget is Carnival.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 08:29   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

If you don't love aggressive driving, look no further then Carnival, else go for Kodiaq.
aquavivarium is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 13:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[center][h3]
Cars we considered

Based on the cars you considered I am assuming you are inclined towards Body on Frame vehicles. Here is my take on cars you considered:

1. Endeavour(2.0/3.2): Getting used is the only option. 2.0L lacks punch and gearbox though smooth keeps shifting a lot. 3.2L is a beast and is the variant to pick. However the 6 Speed AT is known for failures, so look out for that. Given Ford has exited and is providing only service, in coming years service will only go south as there are no incentives for dealership if they improve. 3.2L has well balanced suspension, not too soft and not too stiff. 2nd and third row are not too comfortable.

2. Fortuner: Not sure which variant/version you have test driven. The facelift has an engine which performs better than 3.2L Endy, feature wise is comparable to Endeavour(check my ownership review of comparison of features) though falls short of say Gloster, NVH comparable to 2.2/3.2L Endeavour with ANC and improved ride quality. Yes still a bit bumpy especially at 30-50KM/Hr and that's what is noticed in short test drive. Take the car for a long drive(especially on highway) and you will see the benefits of stiffer suspension over soft suspension.

3. Innova Crysta: Jack of all trades, Does everything almost right, comfortable, good engine, well put , spacious. However isn't as exciting to drive. Is tagged MPV and falls short when it comes to road presence especially when one is hunting for true blue SUV. If you can digest looks and don't need 4x4, a safe pick.

4. Alturas: Mahindra seem to have stopped selling and getting used is the only option. Interiors and features seem good, has decent space. Based on review here ride doesnot seem to be very different than competition and engine performance is not as strong as competition either. Sourcing parts might be a problem depending on the city and dealer you will interact with.

5. Gloster: If features and space is what you are after, get this eyes closed. But as an enthusiast engine/gearbox is not at all to my liking, response is poor and as mentioned in review, getting out of say road humps is painful. Biggest downer is the suspension, super soft, while many will like this in slower speeds and city runabouts, I started hating this on highway and higher speeds. Doesnot give you the confidence. Quality of materials is mixed bag, some are very good, some mediocre.

6. KIA Carnival: Well put, sells in decent numbers, good interiors and features, powerful engine gearbox, however tad too large for self driving. GC can be issue when on vacation.

Last edited by PrideRed : 21st April 2022 at 13:24.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 17:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:

[/list]Expectations from the new car
So here’s the question

Is there any perfect/good car for sale in India in the 40-45L range?

As far as I know, the answer is actually no

Hi,
1. The phrase "perfect car" is found only in 007 movies. The batmobile may be a contender.
2. Jokes apart, if such a "perfect" car doesn't exist, we need to look for the "near perfect".
3. That takes us to the compromise list. What are the aspects that we can compromise to get the features that we MUST have.
4. Once you are done with your list, you may reevaluate the list of cars above.
5. I did this exercise 3 years ago and bought the Alturas. The car was lovable in every possible automotive way, (including service). But the failed Mahindra-Sangyong marriage and the subsequent stoppage of the Alturas made me a philosopher
6. By then the Gloster was lurking and a couple of test drives didn't satisfy me.
7. I booked the XUV 700 AXLD AWD as the "near perfect" car, with compromises on the low 3rd row comfort, and on the low boot space with all 3 rows up. If I ignore these two factors, the XUV 700 seems to pass the petect car test.
8. If you are 23 years old, then the XUV 700 wait list has the capability to make you a grand father
Hope this answers your predicament.
ColAjayDrives is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 20:55   #9
BHPian

Well if ground clearance isn’t really that much of a concern then do try out the Camry as a wild-card entry, who knows it might be what you’re looking for ? Don’t miss it do give it a try once.
NarediAni7518 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 09:23   #10
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your dilemma, here are my recommendations:

Pre-owned:

1) Ford Endeavour 3.2: A friend got a pre-owned one with around 80K on the odo and he has been enjoying it thoroughly so far.

New:

2) Kia Carnival: Immense road presence, huge space and a nice powertrain. Two of my colleagues use Carnivals, no complains yet about low GC. Only complain has been regarding shoddy OEM tyres of MRF.

3) If sedans suit you then consider a Superb or a Camry. Both are equally strong in their own ways and will serve you well for the years to come. Another plus side is that both Superb and Camry are international models well-known for their reliability.

Hope this helps!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 09:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

₹40-₹50 lakhs should get you a low mileage pre-owned Volvo XC-60.
You may have to pay a bit more for pre-owned XC-90's though.
Both vehicles are very capable and very safe.
Take a look; if you can locate any good example.
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 10:27   #12
BHPian

One liners not allowed on the forum but, I will suggest a very new name - "Citroen C5".

It may have a smaller footprint than what you need, but the package is very appealing. Try test driving one once.

Despite not having an outlet at the place I live, I can tell you that the brand is quite serious about its business and it shows from their service.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 11:04   #13
BHPian

As someone suggested, if you don't really need a 7 seater the C5 Aircross seems to be the almost perfect choice. Also do try the XUV700, Safari and the Hector Plus, they cost less and can be great mile munchers. One more suggestion would be the Jeep Meridian if you can wait till it's launch.
DIV17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 12:19   #14
BHPian

Reading your list of requirements is like reading the USPs of the upcoming Hyundai Tucson.

The top end variant (with AWD) OTR should be at the lower end of your budget.

Only thing is launch date is not clear, but looking at some of the posts on the Gen4 Tucson thread, many have aready made unofficial bookings and current gen model production has stopped at the factory. So official bookings should open before your deadline of August.
lordrayden is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 12:27   #15
BHPian

Quote:

I understand the dilemma, same situation a friend of mine had, he ended up buying the petrol Fortuner. Its super quiet, NVH is much better than the diesel counterpart. Its 2.5 lakhs cheaper than the diesel model, so your fuel costs for the next 4-5 years are covered!
Alternatively, test drive the new Camry once. At around 15 kilometres per litre in city and 20 kmpl on the highway, its one of the most fuel efficient cars in the country. Its back seat is too good.
If budget doesnt permit for the above two, you can pick up Innova Crysta petrol! Dozens of owners here on the forum have praised their petrol model! There are atleast two separate dedicated threads here for petrol Innova Crysta.
Also test drive the Kodiaq or Citroen C5, but don't forget to buy the extended warranty for them if you buy these two.
New Carnival should be launched by the end of the year, if you are not in a hurry.

Last edited by redohabitat : 23rd April 2022 at 12:33. Reason: Grammar
redohabitat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks