Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2022, 15:57   #1
BHPian

Govt (my employer) gave me a Scorpio | Should I sell my Mahindra TUV300?

Hi All,

I have been lurking in the forum for a decade now! And commenting on an intermittent basis. This forum has always been my go to page for anything automotive and much more. The wealth of knowledge, opinions, reviews, travelogues, DIYs, car related issues is overwhelming and enriching. I also thank the tireless moderators for keeping the forum clean and choosing new members on a set of criteria. Hats off to all of you.

That being said, the Title thread says why I am posting this. And for members to give their views,a bit of background.

I moved back to my home base, Shillong, Meghalaya back in 2014. This was after about close to 15 years in the world of Corporate and Investment Banking in various metros and abroad (This is what an IIM tag gets you as a job I suppose). 2014 I was done and dusted with that world and moved back home seeing as I was now 43.

I joined a Government agency that implements development projects funded by international funding agencies. I was assigned a Scorpio S10 2015 as my work vehicle and this has taken me to all places in the state and never got stuck once. It grew on me and frankly this vehicle suits our kind of terrain.

Cut to 2019, the vehicle was no longer with me due to changes in the agency. It would be a while before I could be allotted a new vehicle. I headed for the M&M dealer assuming I would check out if any used Scorpios were available. None were to my liking. The owner who is also a good friend asked me to check out the TUVs in the show room. There were two the 3 cylinder TUV 300 and the TUV 300 Plus top trim with the Mhawk engine. The looks of the vehicle was not appealing at first. I took a ride of the 300 Plus and man! The Mhawk engine on it was fun. It had a nice acceleration, little lag but not a deal breaker. Interiors were ok and I was not looking into gadgets. Funnily enough while my earlier top trim Scorpio S10 had GPS, and TPMS the top trim TUV 300 Plus did not. :Shocked:

Anyway, the TUV 300 Plus has been with me since 2019 and done 15000 kms on the odo. Except for a change in the balancer rod under warranty, I have no complaints with it. Some scratches on the black paint, that I can live with when you choose black!. The thing is I have now been allotted a 2022 Scorpio S9 variant in silver colour and I will be using it as my main ride. I dont see myself driving the TUV now except for short runs in a week. Since it is low usage I am toying with the idea of selling off the TUV 300 Plus and investing the proceeds in something else. P.S. The car is fully paid for.

Seeking suggestions:

1. Sale or Keep and why?

2. What kind of offers should I expect? (Back then it costed something like 13L on road)

3. Any other views welcome
petrogeek is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 16:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Govt (my employer) gave me a Scorpio | Should I sell my Mahindra TUV300?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrogeek View Post
Any other views welcome
I am assuming that your employer pays for the fuel, maintenance, insurance etc. of the Scorpio. If that's the case, ask if they can do the same for your TUV. If they say yes, relinquish the Scorpio and use your TUV for your official work instead.

If that's not possible, sell the TUV. At least you will get a good price now, considering that it's not too old, and run just 15k kms.
comfortablynumb is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 16:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Govt (my employer) gave me a Scorpio | Should I sell my Mahindra TUV300?

Sell the TUV, and get yourself a nice motorcycle you can ride with the missus at the back. Meghalaya is beautiful on a motorcycle.
Red Liner is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 12:55   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Govt (my employer) gave me a Scorpio | Should I sell my Mahindra TUV300?

In my books, the TUV300 Plus with the 4-cylinder mHawk engine is a superior UV to the Scorpio. It's more modern & more spacious too. That being said, between a free Scorpio & a TUV300 that I'm paying for, I would stick with the Scorpio.

If you are sure the Scorpio will stay with you for a while and that vehicle benefit won't be withdrawn, then sell the TUV300 Plus. You'll get a decent price in today's market as it is a seller's world.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 07:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

If the Scorpio is free and if the TUv is fully paid for, and if you have parking space, why not keep both? 2019 saw a change in agency and you were without a car. If such a situation were to happen again, you won’t spend more bucks for another new car later.

Financially, selling the TUV now makes more sense though. Low mileage and can fetch a decent price and that money can make for some investments too. If there is space for only one car, I’ll keep the Scorpio and sell the TUv.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 07:20   #6
BHPian

Firstly, lucky guy - probably thats what hard work of getting into IIM brings along - Travel & free CAR Top it up by living in Meghalaya (Ask a Mumbaiker why thats considered as lucly)

I suggest strike a deal with your employer to pay for the monthly expense of your TUV like fuel, toll & yearly insurance & service cost. Considering it is a Government Agency, it should not be a bigger hassle to strike the deal. Clearly you love your TUV, it's Black, and you seem to be emotionally invested in it.
On a side note, please do share your travelogue with pics, Meghalaya is beautiful.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 10th May 2022 at 07:23.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 14:29   #7
BHPian

How about opting for the Scorpio, selling the TUV and invest that money in buying a lovely handling small car as you live in hilly area.

So for daily run and office work - Scorpio serves you and for household chores and some me time and driving fun - a hot hatch comes handy.

I hope you are still okay with the idea of driving a hatch considering you have been using an SUV and a MUV for sometime.
Old 12th May 2022, 11:09   #8
BHPian

Speaking from a pure financial point.

Used cars are fetching better prices currently and if the Scorpio is going to be with you foreseeable future (3-5 years) it's best to sell it off and invest your hard earned money. I hear the markets have crashed and it's good time to put Lumpsum investments in a staggered manner

Also there is no point to keep a Depreciating asset when it's not of use.

Cheers!
RaviCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 01:06   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
If the Scorpio is free and if the TUv is fully paid for, and if you have parking space, why not keep both? 2019 saw a change in agency and you were without a car. If such a situation were to happen again, you won’t spend more bucks for another new car later.

Financially, selling the TUV now makes more sense though. Low mileage and can fetch a decent price and that money can make for some investments too. If there is space for only one car, I’ll keep the Scorpio and sell the TUV.
Agreed!. The thing is I dont even know the price to let it go at!. Bear in mind its the TUV 300 PLUS with the Scorpio Mhawk engine tuned down and not the regular TUV 3 cylinder with the sub 4m body. I have half a mind to look at the new Scorpio (although i suspect the new Scorpio will be a segment higher to replace the Alturas). For those who know me by now, Im not going to shift from an SUV, nor am i going to spend the moolah for an over priced fortuner. On another note, elections are due in my state by February 2023 and it is HIGHLY likely that my allotted Scorpio will be requistioned for it to be allotted to observers from the Election Commission for at least 3 months. This was exactly the case last time around for my other Scorpio, it came fitted with a wireless set and beacon lightswhich was removed eventually.
petrogeek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 21:50   #10

@petrogeek, coming from the hills (Sikkim) myself, I feel the Scorpio with its Mhawk D140 engine would be much better suited for your daily use as compared to the D120 engine found on the TUV300 since you get an extra 20 bhp of power and 40 nm of torque which, trust me, and I think you know will get you by in difficult situations

Also, the TUV300 Plus has not been able to capture the market in rugged and mountainous regions as such and hence I feel you should sell the car off as soon as you can to avoid its value from depreciating further.

In addition to this, the Scorpio S9, in terms of kit is almost at par with the S11 (save a few odd bits of chrome or faux leather) and if I am correct, has the same infotainment system you'd find on the S11 with Android Auto and Apple Carplay and I think includes built-in navigation as well.

All you need is to slap on a set of Yokohama's for added grip and I think you will be sorted!
rigyal_y is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 22:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seeking suggestions:
Sale or Keep and why?
If you are confident the Scorpio will be yours for the foreseeable future, sell the TUV. No idea about the resale but whatever amount you get, forget you have the money for now, invest it in some financial instrument/s for the future.

Let the sale proceeds generate interest to fund (partly or whatever) your next vehicle purchase. This will help at a time when you no longer have an office vehicle at your disposal.

Current issue solved of unnecessarily keeping and maintaining a second vehicle and the future partly or fully assured, depending upon what you buy at that time.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 12:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigyal_y View Post
@petrogeek, coming from the hills (Sikkim) myself, I feel the Scorpio with its Mhawk D140 engine would be much better suited for your daily use as compared to the D120 engine found on the TUV300 since you get an extra 20 bhp of power and 40 nm of torque which, trust me, and I think you know will get you by in difficult situations

Also, the TUV300 Plus has not been able to capture the market in rugged and mountainous regions as such and hence I feel you should sell the car off as soon as you can to avoid its value from depreciating further.

In addition to this, the Scorpio S9, in terms of kit is almost at par with the S11 (save a few odd bits of chrome or faux leather) and if I am correct, has the same infotainment system you'd find on the S11 with Android Auto and Apple Carplay and I think includes built-in navigation as well.

All you need is to slap on a set of Yokohama's for added grip and I think you will be sorted!
Hi , Rigyal!

As of now i have some quotes for the TUV but taking my time. Its a sellers market you see!. While the TUV did not rake in the numbers, the rebadged version Bolero NEO with MLDs might have takers in its target market.

As for the Scorpio, the S11 seemed to be a tad expensive OTR price. the S9 seemed reasonable, swapped the steel rims with the OEM Alloys. You are right, the S11 has TPMS, Rain sensing wipers, Auto head lamps, some chrome and I think leather trims. It's not worth the price differential and hence the S9 it was. The Yokohamas will come in by the end of this year.
Old 15th December 2022, 14:01   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hi , Rigyal!

As of now i have some quotes for the TUV but taking my time. Its a sellers market you see!. While the TUV did not rake in the numbers, the rebadged version Bolero NEO with MLDs might have takers in its target market.

As for the Scorpio, the S11 seemed to be a tad expensive OTR price. the S9 seemed reasonable, swapped the steel rims with the OEM Alloys. You are right, the S11 has TPMS, Rain sensing wipers, Auto head lamps, some chrome and I think leather trims. It's not worth the price differential and hence the S9 it was. The Yokohamas will come in by the end of this year.

UPDATE::

Finally let go of the TUV! Had good offers months back but was holding on for some reason or the other.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks