Mahindra Marazzo 33 8.44%
Hyundai Alcazar 22 5.63%
Others (please specify in your post) 15 3.84%
Voters: 391. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2022, 11:19   #16
BHPian

re: Maruti XL6 Facelift vs Kia Carens vs Maruti Ertiga vs Others

I am sure biased here and voted for Ertiga. I do own an 2019 Ertiga. Only thing that I don't like the beige interiors. If Ertiga gets the black interior from XL6, that would have been better. For some reason I prefer Ertiga's styling over XL6. Carens surely is better in terms of interior quality but it is pricey. If I need a model with Automatic AC etc, I need to go for prestige plus model. If I am not price conscious I might go for Carens if I am looking for an MPV today but unfortunately I am price conscious and that's the reason why I choose Ertiga over Marazzo in 2019.
sreejithkk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 12:12   #17
BANNED

Be clear: having multiple engine size options / Petrol and Diesel models / multiple transmission options doesn't make a car better. When you buy a car, you won't get all those combos. You get one engine, and one gear box.

Also, if someone find Carens / Ertiga as city-friendly size compared to Innova, others may find Eeco as city-friendly size for an MPV. It's all relative.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 10th May 2022 at 12:22.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 12:27   #18
BHPian

Carens is a winner the sheer road presence and overall package is too good for any other MPV at this price point. The engine options especially the Turbo Petrol DCT is one of the best of the lot.

Ertiga and XL6 will be the next choice but i am not a Suzuki fanboy especially their mass market vehicles have nothing to offer. XL6 is more on the right track but still plenty to add there on the facelift which was launched recently and it looks good

Marazzo is a good car as well but the overall looks lets me down to even consider it as an option

Alcazaar is a Creta elder sibling which simply does not justify the price it has been offered.

So it is the Kia Carens at #1, but with most of the value for money variants having close to 75 weeks, most of the eager buyers will go for Ertiga or XL6 with a relatively lesser waiting period. (https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...d7970a815ac5c6
Old 10th May 2022, 12:33   #19
BHPian

Voted for Carens because of its 3rd row seat. What is the point of a three row car if the third row is not good enough. It cannot only be for children. Alcazar would have been my second choice but it is expensive for what it offers. It is not as VFM as Creta is. Ruling out XL6 and Ertiga because of no Diesel engine because if I bought a 3 row car, it would be mostly be Diesel for its power output and FE.
Old 10th May 2022, 14:27   #20
BHPian

I couldn't get my driving seat position right in Carens, no matter what I tried. I was finding it difficult to be able to see the bonnet. Also, for a car in 20 lakhs bracket, the Carens doesn't have powered seats, which is again a downer. Apart from this issue, if I am forced to select one among the given choices, it will be Carens only.
Old 10th May 2022, 15:36   #21
BHPian

Voted for the XL6.

Would have voted for the Marazzo if it came with an AT, considering it is potentially the safest on the list. Spent a day with car couple of years back and absolutely loved it, save for the notchy and long throw shifts and mile long clutch travel. Completely agree with other bhpians that it offers a whole lot of value for the price. But hey, if its creator doesn't care enough about it why should I?

Now coming to the other contenders. Safety obviously is not a point of contention here so that leaves us with looks, space, engines, features, price etc.

The Alcazar is out because it seems too expensive and a bit of neither here nor there. The Ertiga is out because of the classic MPV propertions, even though I would admit it is the more practical choice when compared to the XL6.

Then we are left with the XL6 and the Carens-

For a 7 seater (or 6 seater) people mover I am inclined to believe the 1.5NA+6TC combo trumps the 1.4TC+7DCT combo as a saner choice. If driving pleasure was higher up on my agenda, I would probably go for the 5 seaters that come with the turbocharged engines. Some would say what about the diesel option in the Carens and I would say I'm not too keen on diesels in the BS6 era.

On features, I agree no one beats the koreans, but looks like the XL6 has got it pretty much covered as far as things I need.

The last round comes down to looks then. I know this is a subjective compoment, but I think this time around Maruti have done a good job making the XL6 look more well propertioned and less MPV-ish. I personally don't really care for the Carens' looks inside and out.

Before I get hammered, yes, I have thought about space and last row comfort offered by the Carens. But really, if I was that serious about moving 7 people all the time, I would probably cough up the extra dough and go for the Crysta. I can see the Ertiga sobbing in the corner, but the Crysta is the only MPV, I am willing to overlook the looks of or the diesel heart for that matter. No, let's not talk about the Marazzo as it is not even fit to be under consideration in its current configuration.

I believe all these cars cater to the buyers who need the extra seats occasionally and from that point of view the XL6 fits my needs like a latex glove on my hand. Now only if it could magically score atleast 4 stars in NCAP

Last edited by Romeo_Mike : 10th May 2022 at 15:44.
Romeo_Mike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 16:31   #22
BHPian

Not sure why Alcazar is in this poll, while Innova and Hector plus are left out. I would vote for others.
Old 10th May 2022, 17:10   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly, none of these cars are really appealing to me as they all are lacking the 4 star or higher rating I would aspire for, with the exception of the Marazzo : which is unfortunately a little too bulky for the city.

If I had to pick however, it would be the Ertiga that gets my money for the VFM, and middle low legroom on offer.
Old 10th May 2022, 17:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

I've selected the Carens, because I think it's a good overall mix of looks, interiors, safety and performance. Plus, the pricing. The XL6 comes a close second and I rank it higher in some categories, but despite the update it's still slightly lacking elsewhere. The Marazzo is showing its age in front of rivals + is lacking in some important areas of safety + is a sales dud. A few years ago it might have been a top pick, but not anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_Mike View Post
Safety obviously is not a point of contention here
Frontal crash protection, maybe not, but they have crucial safety differences elsewhere. The Carens and XL6 for example have ESC as standard, the XL6 side thorax airbags, and the Carens side thorax and head airbags. These are important technologies not currently assessed under the ageing, originally experimental GNCAP assessment protocol for India. Also both performed similarly for protection to critical body regions (head, neck, chest). Mahindra appears to have performed kneemapping tests to have the Marazzo's rating bumped up to four stars, and the (pre-facelift) Ertiga lost points for high intrusion into the footwell - concerning, but not as much as not having even ESC, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_Mike View Post
Now only if it could magically score atleast 4 stars in NCAP
Like the Carens, there were rumours of improvement (2:00), presumably with the facelift, if true.
ron178 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 17:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Ertiga! Whatever poll suggests, Ertiga is the best of lot here as a overall package and sales numbers just shows that. It offers best value for money and great reliability from Maruti. Newer version is little costly now but Vxi and Zxi are there for common man which still offers great value which no other car can match. Its a complete family car for someone who is looking for perfect family car. It offers great flexibility along with great fuel economy.
Old 10th May 2022, 18:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Going OT here but ain't this a same poll query as in the already created poll thread here (Kia Carens vs Maruti XL6 vs Maruti Ertiga vs others)?
Old 10th May 2022, 20:25   #27
BANNED

Voted: Marazzo

I'm always after the unsung heroes as we can get a nice deal on these cars. The Marazzo has good specs, a diesel engine, good pricing and a ladder frame body. The Carens wins for me if it gets the ACMT (auto clutch manual.) That makes it suitable for the highways as well as city use.

The Carens has better refinement, ease of parts and repairability, better efficiency, potentially better reliability, and car-like dynamics.
Old 10th May 2022, 21:48   #28
BHPian

I voted for Ertiga as it's practical and fairly priced. For me the XL6 is just another Ertiga in Tuxedo. All the cars mentioned in the list are equally poor in terms of crash worthiness, barring the Marazzo.
Old 11th May 2022, 07:09   #29
BHPian

All options are horrible actually. Be the engine specs of Marazzo or the suspension of Ertiga which can give you backache in no time. Carens nightmarish looks keep haunting me. Voted for Alcazar but then thought Force Trax should also be an option.
Old 11th May 2022, 07:34   #30
BHPian

Voted XL6 thinking it had the 4AT and then realised that the Ertiga was there on this poll as well.
I for one, would pick the previous gen XL6 AT as the 4AT is brilliantly mated to the K15B gearbox. The entire package works really and the Alpha trim comes well inside 14-15L in Bangalore. As the owner of an SCross 4AT, I can vouch for this package.

The new dualjet K15C however, is a true let down. It is nowhere as free revving as the K15B and the 6AT is the weakest link considering the tune of the engine. The mid-range grunt/urgency is absolutely missing, while the SHVS torque assist is not peaky unlike the 4AT and is relatively flat.
The 4AT on the other hand is revv happy and urgent. Works wonders over cruises and long distances.

Looking at the price point perspective, the XL6 in the Alpha+ trim has lost its VFM tag despite the improvement in tech and features, which to me is mostly pointless. The brownie point would go only to the ventilated seats.

I voted the Maruti only for its sheer reliability. The bling from the Carens, and it's pug like face are an extreme turn off. From past experiences, I've seen most Hyundais ageing poorly and turning expensive on the maintenance. I wonder if its the same with the Kias considering DCT issues/reliability. The diesel AT is a let down in the Carens.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks