Hyundai Alcazar 22 5.66%
Others (please specify in your post) 15 3.86%
Voters: 389. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2022, 11:15   #31
BHPian

Re: Maruti XL6 Facelift vs Kia Carens vs Maruti Ertiga vs Others

I have voted for "Others".

If I were to buy a 6-7 seater, my three primary requirements would be comfort, safety, and an automatic transmission.

All of the cars in the list, except Marazzo, would get eliminated due to lack of comfort (for all 3 rows). The Marazzo ticks the first 2 boxes but sadly misses out on an AT.

If budget is not a restriction, I'd buy the top end Innova Crysta. If budget was a restriction, I'd buy a used Innova Crysta or a Hexa.
mpthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 17:29   #32
BHPian

Hello All, I would have voted for the Marazzo only if it had an AT with some more appeals for a personal car. It has good diesel engine + space + driving comfort which are essential (IMHO) for a 7 seater MPV. I can live with lesser amount of creature comforts, but the lack of AT is a serious bummer. So i'll pick the Carens Diesel AT. But if I really had some more money to splurge, I would pick the Innova any day.

Last edited by Pkumarblore : 11th May 2022 at 17:30.
Old 12th May 2022, 16:33   #33
BHPian

I voted for others. XUV 700 was in my mind. I felt a good road presence with this an d have seen auto/cabs giving way to XUV, which rarely happens in namma Bengaluru
Old 18th May 2022, 18:06   #34

This is my first post on the forum, and would gladly accept constructive advice for this and future comments & opinions!
Much as I prefer to refrain from picking on someone's opinion, I couldn't stop from responding to this one - the author has provided pros & cons of the vehicles in a crisp and concise manner. I was, however, surprised to see this comparison dated 07-May-2022, which compared the features of the previous version of Ertiga with the updated versions of the other vehicles, even though the engine and transmission features of updated Ertiga and XL6 are the same.

Similar to BHPian @sreejithkk, I too may be biased here, having driven the 1st-gen Ertiga for more than 8 years before this and wanted to let this pass, but I just read this article below, which prompted me to respond.

https://www.news18.com/news/auto/kia...y-5149093.html

I wonder if the seniors at Team BHP could think of a monitoring mechanism to identify and correct such errors, especially since so many netizens read and are influenced by the discussions on the threads (I myself had been doing so for a long time before I was granted membership).

Last edited by bblost : 18th May 2022 at 19:13. Reason: Removed extra smileys. Please use no more than 2. Thanks.
Old 26th October 2022, 23:58   #35
BHPian

What car: Family of four, about to be 5

Hello Folks.

A little background:

What I have right now:
1. Toyota Corolla Altis, 2013 (diesel)
2. Toyota Innova Crysta Z, 2017 (diesel)

The Altis is about to reach its government mandated end of life. It still drives like a charm, and has an excellent engine, but I'm in Delhi where you have a no strings attached marriage to a car for 10 years. Adding to the goverment's 10 year law, I'm finding the DEF tech slightly unreliable, based on posts on the unwarranted errors for DEF. The cars I've shortlisted are pretty scattered on the spectrum, with maybe little to nothing in common except it can or should haul 5 people and should be able to do highway runs. While I'll state my options, please do recommend me a car to TD so i can add those.

1. Hyundai Alcazar:
The top end 6 seater version. Interiors are so charming, and the car makes 160ish HP. A 2 liter engine sounds good on paper but tbhp's review says the car drives pretty sedately. I'm okay with that. A petrol 2 liter engine also means mediocre FE.

Pros: seats 6, fantastic kit, feels like a car from this very generation.

Cons: not super engaging to drive, but I'll know that on this weekend when I td it. Mediocre FE.

2. Toyota/Suzuki hybrid twins:
Lucrative on paper but when I checked the back seat, it clearly felt like a "5 seater during your fast" kinda car. The rear bench isn't worthy of that 2 million price tag, and I'm willing to wager it has the worst rear bench for that money.

Pros: fantastic FE and tank range, hybrid tech is lucrative to drive, toyota's peace of ownership. Average performance, nothing to write home about. I did in TD that and it was.. uninspiring

Cons: the space isn't for highway runs, and it will never be a family car.

3. Kia Carens 1.4 DCT turbo

A turbo petrol. Sounds good on paper, has a DCT, a turbo, and seats 6. What could go wrong? The safety. Not like alcazar has scored heaps, and is actually unrated, but carens straight up scores 3. I'll wait on the forum's word if i should further consider it. No pros and cons for this, because whatever I stated is all I know or alll that is about the car. I already drive a crysta, i wonder if another MPV is the answer.

4. Honda City Hybrid: we had a honda city back in 2014. Great car, and while i know it is expensive for a sedan, I'd pay that if the car just provides a complete package.

Pros: loaded to the brim with kit, great FE, should do well in both city and highways with that tank range

Cons: for the same price, alcazar is a lot more engaging to drive with a bigger engine and more seating capacity, maybe more snob value and road presence. It also loses on space and seating capacity.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards either the Alcazar or the City Hybrid. The prospect of a 800km tank range is just so lucrative to me!

I'd love to hear anything that adds to the roster of cars I'm considering. I'll have to book in a month or two looking at the lead times.

The altis is my dad's daily driver, and is chauffeur driven but i can swap the new car. The daily drive will be around 60-70kms so FE is definitely a plus. I can't consider an EV simply because highway runs in the excess of 500kms is mandatory, and EVs just dont facilitate that.

Cheers.
ubermensch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 09:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: What car: Family of four, about to be 5

I own the Hyundai Alcazar in the diesel avatar, with more or less similar use case (seat 5 on 3 point seat belt, 75 km commute and highway runs).

Having lived with it a month and 4000 odd kms, here's my perspective and questions you have to answer:
  1. How tall are your passengers? In my case, none are taller than 5'1". and there have not been complaints on highway runs.
  2. Ingress is a problem in the base Prestige variant for elderly, especially 3rd row. It is fine for kids and adults. Side steps are only on the Platinum and Signature AT variants. None of the MT variants have them.
  3. I test drove the petrol AT and it is nothing to write home about. It will be a good A->B car.
  4. FE on the petrol is pretty depressing single digits in city and low teens in highway. This is typical Hyundai petrol trait and Alcazar is no exception.
  5. Suspension is stiff
  6. Feels top-heavy to drive (personal feeling). Although I've not seen any drama when pushed to 105.
  7. If you seat 5 or 6, there is not much boot space. This is how it looks when loaded. It is decent for 2-3 days. I am yet to test on week long run. Either way you have to pack light.
  8. Delivery timeline is quick. Carens 1.4 Turbo waiting isn't much either.
  9. You can read the ownership perspective for the 1.4 Turbo from ptaneja.
  10. I've added my ownership story of the Alcazar here (The unexpected purchase - My 2022 Hyundai Alcazar).

Is there a reason why you want to add another 6-seater and highway runner when you have a Crysta in the house? The City Hybrid makes more sense in your case, if you only seat 4 and the Crysta becomes a primary highway runner.

Since you prefer petrol, I have not added any diesel related points. I can add if you are interested.

Last edited by narayans80 : 27th October 2022 at 09:20.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 18:18   #37

Please help me decide - XL6 Alpha+ vs. Carens Prestige Diesel

Greetings Everyone!!

I am having trouble deciding which car to buy. Please help me.

1) 2022 XL6 Alpha Plus Petrol (~16L on road)

Or

2) Kia Carens Prestige Diesel (~16L on road)

Both Manual Variants.

Given a choice which car from the above would you prefer and why?

(Yearly running of around 12,000 kms-70% highway-30% city usage)

Or do you suggest increasing budget and going for Prestige Plus Diesel model (~18L on road)??

Thank you so much in advance.

Your help is much appreciated.

Important Features exclusive to XL6 Alpha+ Petrol over Carens Prestige Variant:
(For the uninitiated)

- Ventilated Front Seats
- UV CUT Glass - IR Windshield
- 360 degree camera
(Carens Prestige has only reverse camera)
- Alloy Wheels
- Automatic AC
- Leather upholstery
- Rear Wiper and defogger
Old 24th June 2023, 16:31   #38

Looking to buy a 6 or 7 seater car under 16 lakhs

Hi ,

Our family is looking for a 6 or 7-seater car under the budget of 15 lakhs or lower as we have space constraints with our 2017 Hyundai Xcent. The car will be used for city runs most of the time, with highway runs twice or thrice a year. The car should only be petrol.

We have shortlisted two cars which fit these criteria:

1.Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZXI+ (Manual)

2.Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha (Manual)

We have seen Kia Carens too, but my parents didn't seem to like the looks of it.

Seeking suggestions if there are other cars in this price range with 6 to 7-person seating and also opinion on the shortlisted options.

Last edited by navin : 24th June 2023 at 16:51. Reason: typos
EnthDriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 18:00   #39
BHPian

Re: Looking to buy a 6 or 7 seater car under 16 lakhs

Coming from an Xcent, a Maruti would be a downgrade in terms of fit and finish. The interior quality, NVH levels (though improved in facelift) would feel inferior to Hyundai.

We own a Grand i10 CRDi and i still find its NVH is the best after my Slavia, better than our Corolla Altis, Amaze, Duster, Maruti Fronx.

So, my vote goes for Kia. Yes, it's probably one of the ugliest cars otr. But, you can settle on darkers shades and the interiors are AMAZING where you'll be spending most of the time.

Mind you, modern Kia/Hyundai's can have more electrical failures, like my semi modern Grand i10 keeps blowing up the BCM, AC condenser replacements are expensive. They should be less in a Maruti.

Also, the XL6 / Ertiga have gotten improved suspensions, refer to my short test drive :https:www.team-bhp.com/forum/officia...ml#post5320978

But still see the Kia, because you would want a stable ride with 5 on board + luggage over highway runs.

However , if you're adamant over the MS, then my pick would be the XL6 if you don't want a 7 seater. It looks less commercial and the white shade with black touches look appealing. Ertiga looks like an Upper Middle Class car IMHO.

Last edited by dr.aviansh : 24th June 2023 at 18:09.
dr.aviansh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 18:21   #40

Agree with you that hyundai has way better interior than MS , im quite adamant over kia because of its interior and the safety features offered in it like 6 airbags , all wheel disc brakes etc , but if we would go for MS it would xl6 for sure since i feel it has better looking interiors and more features compared to eritga , ertiga kind of gives a cheap feeling with its all beige interior and the exterior styling . We have visited the maruti showroom , but to our disappointment they didnt have XL6 for test drive and kept giving reasons thereafter that their test drive car has gone to servicing etc. Plus , the waiting period has been a concern for us as we need the car by july end . So , XL6 seems to be a choice till now as its waiting period is anywhere between 1 to 2 months compared to ertiga which has waiting periods ranging from 4 to 5 months easily because of demand . Will try to take a test drive of kia carens , for our budget , the prestige plus variant would be most suitable.
Old 24th June 2023, 18:32   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Kia Carens the family car to buy on a limited budget. Its cabin quality, feature set and powertrain options are far superior to the XL6. Maruti’s engine feels very underwhelming and weak. Especially when the car is loaded. The turbo petrol of the Carens provides far better performance in all conditions. Even the 1.5 NA engine is more responsive than Maruti’s K15C. You also have the option of the clutchless iMT in case you don’t want to spend extra for the fully automatic DCT/CVT. For a primarily city use car, an automatic or at least an automated clutch is a must.

Ertiga will always carry the taxi/cab baggage. It doesn’t have any prestige value. XL6 has much better street cred.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 24th June 2023 at 18:40.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 19:28   #42
BHPian

The new Citroen C3 AIRCROSS is a good option to add to your list. You will see them very less on the road compared to Ertiga and XL6, hence it is a head-turner as well. The wheels are 17-inch and a ground clearance (unladen) of 200mm will protect the car from most scratches or getting caught on low obstacles.
madhukarmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 12:11   #43

yeah , but the launch of C3 aircross is unclear and citroen's service network is going to be a problem .
Old 29th June 2023, 15:24   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnthDriver View Post
Hi ,

Our family is looking for a 6 or 7-seater car under the budget of 15 lakhs or lower as we have space constraints with our 2017 Hyundai Xcent. The car will be used for city runs most of the time, with highway runs twice or thrice a year. The car should only be petrol.

We have seen Kia Carens too, but my parents didn't seem to like the looks of it.

Seeking suggestions if there are other cars in this price range with 6 to 7-person seating and also opinion on the shortlisted options.
Hey, I think as most others suggested the Carens can fit the bill quite well. Good engines, Clutchless manual gearbox (boon in the traffic). The K15C is tuned for better efficiency as is typical of a MS. If you want to enjoy a bit of spirited driving, the 1.5 turbo petrol fits the bill here. Also, the third row is actually quite usable in the Carens. You have the option of seat flexibility as well as in you can choose a 6 seater or a 7 seater for same car where for MS you are restricted to either Ertiga for 7 seats or XL6 for 6 seats.
Old 29th June 2023, 17:10   #45
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnthDriver View Post
Hi ,

Hi @EnthDriver,
I would highly recommend you to check the Renault Triber.
I am surprised that you did not consider that, as it is a strong contender against the Maruti Ertiga. Though its interiors are pretty basic and its features are less, it offers great versatility and a wide range of seating plans to choose from. If you need the extra space, you can also remove the third row seats.
I assume that you travel with your family and safety is important, the Triber scored well in the NCAP tests with 4 stars, and also offers 4 airbags, compared to Maruti's 2 airbags and weak body shell. Since you will be doing frequent city runs, automatic is a must.
Considering all this the Triber RXZ-EASY R AMT is available for a price of around 11 lakhs on-road Bangalore.
You can also consider second-hand cars like this used BRV https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...rk=1&isP=false.
Hope this helps you!

Most Viewed