Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: What should I do?
Sell my Kawasaki Z900 & buy a Mahindra Thar 65 50.78%
Keep my Kawasaki Z900 & forget the Mahindra Thar 63 49.22%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2022, 19:38   #16
BHPian

Re: Should I sell my Kawasaki Z900 & buy a Mahindra Thar?

I bought a Harley last year thinking how it would enable me to connect with the road and my inner self. With the comfy seating for pillion, I could imagine me and Missus munching miles on it all day long. However, with the Indian roads being what they are, every trip is an exercise in futility. I think in interest of your safety and sanity Thar would be a better choice any day. I still ride the bike on weekends, but would prefer the safety of 4 wheels for longer distances.
sharad_kmc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 20:07   #17
BHPian

In my humble opinion, if I am in your position I would rather keep the Z900 for the sound alone. Every weekend, the bikers, especially on the 4 cylinder ones (with loud exhausts), go via our apartment and onto TN. I envy them. Thar is great vehicle no doubt, but I bet it will not give the kind of exhilaration that two wheels give especially the ones with 4 cylinders. Go for Thar if you are planning to use it for a lot of off-roading. Otherwise, it is just another useless, impractical vehicle.

Last edited by amvj : 11th May 2022 at 20:09.
Old 11th May 2022, 20:14   #18
BHPian

This not a difficult dilemma. The Z900 is a beast. The Thar is an "additional" four wheeler. Almost nothing about the Thar will paste a grin on your face as wide as the z900 every single time you take it out. Heavy clutch etc can be cured with a few cheap accessories.

If you haven't yet gone off the road in a four wheeler, go with some of your friends who already own such vehicles and see if you will love the hobby as much as you love the motorcycle It's a lot of work too and takes a heck of a lot more time to enjoy it vs a quick breakfast blast that you can do on a whim. Ask me how I know - I have extensive experience with both

Having owned many cars and worked my way up to a litre class super bike, I find my motorbikes being ridden a lot more than any of my cars ever did. They're just more fun, period. If you need Z900 kind of performance in a car, you have to aim at a Lamborghini urus, not a Thar!

Also, if you ask on a predominantly car loving forum about a car vs bike dilemma, you are not giving yourself a chance to get an unbiased clear view, right? Opinions of those who haven't ridden a motorbike for decades should not count in this decision making. In fact, no one apart from yourself can really answer this question fairly. Hobbies don't have financial considerations at the heart of decision making
shankarbn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 20:41   #19
BHPian

Voted for "Sell my Kawasaki Z900 & buy a Mahindra Thar"

The most important reason according to me is safety. In my opinion, better to satisfy that adrenaline rush while off-roading in a buckled-up 4 star Jeep than high-revving on the streets of NCR where traffic discipline is 0 if not negative.
Old 11th May 2022, 21:33   #20
BHPian

Voted to keep both.

Have a Z800 with full system, Bazzaz TC and Thar Diesel AT. Z800 usage reduced due to practicality, but nothing matches early morning rides on an inline 4.

Really enjoy both of them, completely different purpose and perspectives. Both are special in their own way!
Old 11th May 2022, 22:45   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Here's a pic of BHPian vvb8530's Thar to get you tempted. It's a hard-top, which he was able to take off without much stress:
Attachment 2306353
That thread was a catalyst behind this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Intuitively, I’d say the fact that you’ve even asked this question leads me to believe you’re not really a motorcyclist at heart - you’re really just seeking a fun hobby and finding your way around what would engage you the most. To that extent, do actively consider making the switch to the Thar and see if it works for you. Its perfectly fine to move from one interest to another and it seems to me you’ve hit that transition mark with your riding.
You dissection is precise. I still love biking, and I've always had a motorcycle throughout my life, but with time I feel all the fun that was to be had has been had, and I should pluck a different branch of thrill, but your advice resonates with me the most and I'll go drive each vehicle extensively this weekend and the next before I write a cheque.

I had evaluated the idea of getting a more practical bike, but there is nothing more practical than the Z900 in the market. Heat from the bike is barely an issue compared to the temperature outside. The z900 has a comfortable stance and has no ergonomic issues. I agree with most that the bike has its own snob value, and the opinion will be divided because a lot of people value comfort, others thrill.

Either way, we're either seeing a Mahindra Thar Ownership experience or a Z900 thread. I'm gonna drive the Thar for longer stint to gauge it better, all showrooms were stingy with their test drives and allowed ~2 kilometers of test drive. Koncept Mahindra at Safdarjung was a nightmare, so its either a rental or a friend's car.
ubermensch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 01:33   #22
BHPian

Voted for keeping the bike and forgetting the Thar.
For your automobile requirements, you have two very well-made and reliable cars. And there are several folks who might be willing to loan a Thar for any offroading. Other than the occasional offroading, the Thar is not going to give you anything extra, car-wise, that the two Toyotas will not.

My advice would be to keep the bike, and forget the jeep, as you'll get way more thrills that way.
Old 12th May 2022, 05:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

I'd only buy the Thar for one of the reasons:
1. You must have 4x4 & off-road ability (Innova doesn't have it)
2. You haven't mentioned it explicitly, but there are situations when you are stuck. It rains and the Innova is out with another family member (riding the motorcycle to your destination is not an option)
3. You just can't live without the 'Jeep' image

If the above doesn't apply, the Z900 is a machine worth keeping. Calculate the power-to-weight ratios both and you'll know what I mean. The Z900 offers supercar level performance that Thar owners can only dream of. If you can enjoy riding the Z900 for 30 days a year and drive the Innova for the other 335 days, I don't see why you should buy the Thar.

The whole equation changes, of course, if your family has decided the motorcycle has to go.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 12th May 2022 at 06:01.
Old 12th May 2022, 06:35   #24
BHPian

I voted to keep the bike. I have had the privilege to have both Thar and Street twin back home and I feel nothing comes close to a motorcycle. When you'll sell your bike you won't get a reasonable offer as these bikes loose the value and in team bhp official reviews we always learn about hit/miss service of Mahindra and in my case it was always a miss so I wouldn't recommend buying it.
Old 12th May 2022, 12:56   #25
BHPian

I voted to keep the bike even before I read your complete write up. :-)

The Thar, however a looker it might be is an impractical vehicle to own if you plan on doing long(ish) drives. Zilch space in the boot. A laptop bag wont fit. So effectively it is a 2 seater and I understand you might be okay with it.

Also you the adrenaline rush you get from the Z900 is something you will miss on the Thar. As someone mentioned, you can always get a Thar from one of the self drive companies anytime.
Old 12th May 2022, 13:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Astute and diverse inputs by Bhpians. This is a conundrum that can hurt or help in the end.

Z900 - (The Mind Bender)

Sense of freedom that no cage can give you, no matter how expensive a cage is. A cage is a cage in the end.
The feeling of adrenaline like no other.
Snob value and brownie points, attracts eyeballs, makes the ego puffed up.
To experience the blurred vision of acceleration, again full brownie points.
Biking being a dangerous hobby, makes one appear burly and badass, well sort of. Gives you a sense of accomplishment.
Add to it all, the experiences of it, just makes it worth it another day.

Thar ( The Cool Bloke to Hang Around)
I would digress here to mention what the pros or cons of Thar are, they're aplenty with the garrison of Thar owners sharing their experiences here and on other platforms.

Thar, for enjoying what you do along with your family, if that's what your current intent is.
Thar, for getting back to Jeeping if that's something that you've been longing for.
Thar, for if you want to keep yourself safe from the entire Greek pantheon of weather
Thar, for if you want something to look absolutely cool driving with shades post 6:00 PM (which you shouldn't and wouldn't do )
Thar, for, just that sense of burly feel, which is best in its class.

My thought: Keep the Z and get the Thar too.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 12th May 2022 at 13:51.
VijayAnand1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 23:54   #27
BHPian

The poll was evenly matched at 57-57 before my vote, now Thar has one extra . Life is all about experiences, you have already had one with Z900, now if you wish to move to a Jeep, its a no brainer, go right ahead. Though you may miss your bike at times but the pride and happiness of owning a Jeep will more than makeup for it.
Old 13th May 2022, 13:28   #28
BHPian

Even though I call myself a motorcycle rider first. I voted for Thar, given I know the conditions in NCR. And If I can suggest another option:
Sell Z900, buy Thar and Himalayan/KTM 390Adv (or wait for Himalayan 450). The day weather is good there are many trails in the Aravali ranges, take the bike out.
Old 13th May 2022, 16:45   #29

Even though i can't vote yet, I will recommend going for the THAR and sell Z900 just because of the weather in Delhi NCR. You can barely enjoy it in 4 out of 12 months as it is either too hot, raining or too cold rest of the year. You can enjoy Thar a lot more and go on longer road trips safely. If you are worried about the 10 year ban, then you can get the petrol version which is actually more powerful than the diesel.
You can always rent/borrow a bike or buy a cheaper motorcycle just to get the thrills of a 2 wheeler once in a while.
Old 14th May 2022, 23:19   #30
BHPian

Dont sell Z900 because

- Bike is a bike, Car is a car
- Z900 is special. Costs 3 to 4 times a normal bike and has performance comparable to supercars worth crores
- Thar is just another car. No head turner. Only for 4x4 it just isnt worth parting with a superbike
- Crysta can be used for all ur commutes since it is easily the numero uno people mover in India

Why,
- I sold my Ninja 1000 recently for a car ... Errr nevva! I sold it to buy a flat and even then I regret like hell
I am managing with a Duke 200 for time being but very soon will be back to superbikes.
- People who suggest heat rain and all are never true bikers, not even superbikers!

Take no action, to avoid regret later!

Ex owner of CBR250, CBR650 (twice) and Ninja 1000. Currently with Crysta 2.8 AT and D200

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 14th May 2022 at 23:21.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed