Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What should I do?
Sell my Kawasaki Z900 & buy a Mahindra Thar 65 50.78%
Keep my Kawasaki Z900 & forget the Mahindra Thar 63 49.22%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2022, 23:27   #1
BHPian

Should I sell my Kawasaki Z900 & buy a Mahindra Thar?

Background: I have two cars in the family (of 4). One is used by my dad (Corolla Altis), and the other one for me (Toyota Innova Crysta ZX, MT. Yes, TBHP helped me in this judgement). To spice my love for automobiles and to get my adrenaline fix, I got a Kawasaki Z900 back in 2019, and it was a childhood dream come true! Its a true blue Inline-4 and i threw in a complete exhaust kit so it sounds the part it looks too . For most, a litre class inline-4 is the final stage of fun in biking.

I've had my fair share of biking and mingling with the biking community, and let me tell you: the more desirable a lifestyle vehicle is, the more impractical it will be. I've read a couple of really good ownership threads on TBHP, with pho3nix's thread coaxing me really hard to get the Thar.

The question is: from one lifestyle vehicle to another, is the jump valid or I'm just bored? There are a lot of pros vs. Cons that keep me awake at night due to "buyer's anxiety"

Thoughts in my in favour of the Bike, against the bike, for the Thar and against the Thar:

On the Z900:
- Z900 is a really well made international product, produces roughly the same power as a Thar and gives you a lot of attention and rush with one simple twist of a throttle. It's fairly powerful for our roads and the aftermarket options are massive owing to the demand and supply Z900 enjoys in Inline-4 segment. The quality is top notch and a superbike nearly has the same road presence/snob value as expensive imports. People will talk to you about the "Dhoom" bike at every red light and parkings, and you'll be clicked every every now and then by young enthusiasts.

Things about the Z900 that make me want to move to a Thar:

- As fun as it is, the bike is pretty impractical. Heavy clutch in traffic, coupled with temperate Indian climate and the heat generated by the bike makes it fairly difficult to go anywhere without dirt and sweat on your clothes. Enjoying the vehicle more than 4 months a year is perennial battle between my passion and the climate gods. You have to make some pretty visible lifestyle changes to enjoy this vehicle (wake up in the morning on weekends, only stick to good roads and pamper/treat it with the same anxiety as your first relationship) which I feel wouldn't be the case with the Thar. Just pick up the keys and hit the roads, dirt, your hometown, whatever. I could care for the Thar half as much as I do for the superbike and not be a careless owner (why does this sound blasphemous?)

For the Thar:

- The way it looks. It is half the battle won, oh lord its a looker. I could look at it all day, sing praises about it, write a few poems and wage wars and build museums about Thar's looks.

- The Thar potentially gives loads of happy miles, I get to explore a new hobby segment and for a dude coming from a superbike, its even comfortable for me

While I did not drive the Thar extensively, which I should, I found the car acceptable. The interiors aren't as spartan anymore and the rear seating space looked good for a trip with my wife or friends. Oh, and cars are immune to wrath of Sol. The aftermarket options for Thar are vast as well, and i can also hit up a local overlanding group (IIRC I found Northern Overlanders's YT channel from TBHP)

Things about the Thar that make me feel okay about being with the Z900:

- Expensive. Other cars at the same budget give you tech, ride quality and interiors that pamper you, but I guess that's the part of impracticality that comes with pursuing a hobby. Had it been my only car, I'd probably never think about it. For a daily driver I would like more creature comforts.

- The Z900 is an internationally proven product vis a vis Thar. Mahindra comes with its own set of minor niggles. The quality of Japanese litre class bikes is far ahead of satisfactory, and there's nothing you have to "live with" when it comes to quality.

- The 10 year Diesel ban. I'm not very informed about how good this actually is, but I have an inch of feeling that it came as a knee jerk reaction.

I feel (and hope) that if I get a Thar, it will grow on me and it is largely more practical, even as a lifestyle vehicle, over a superbike. I'd love to hear TBHP's more seasoned thoughts, as I'm corrupted by the Thar's beauty.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 9th May 2022 at 09:45. Reason: Formatting
ubermensch is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 08:46   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Should I sell my Kawasaki Z900 & buy a Mahindra Thar?

You said it. Even with just 2-doors, the Thar will be immensely more practical than the Z900. You could use it on a daily basis, including for the commute to work. I say sell the Z900 and buy the Thar:

- You'll use it more. Like 10X more (work, play, offroading, highway trips, late nights, social activities). It is a useable Jeep.

- You'll enjoy it equally. Instead of high-revving a superbike, you could offroad in your new 4x4.

- Customise it to please the enthusiast in you & to make your Thar unique. One of the best things about owning a Jeep is customising it, making it like no other.

- Biggest reason for my post = Safety. Not just the Thar's 4-star GNCAP rating, but a motorcycle's negative safety rating on Indian roads. I love motorcycles, yet have resigned myself to never owning one as I've seen way too many scary / sob stories due to motorcycle crashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermensch View Post
The 10 year Diesel ban. I'm not very informed about how good this actually is, but I have an inch of feeling that it came as a knee jerk reaction.
Get the Petrol AT if you intend to keep it for 10+ years. Equally competent, although I personally like the Diesel AT more.

Here's a pic of BHPian vvb8530's Thar to get you tempted. It's a hard-top, which he was able to take off without much stress:
Name:  IMG_9591.jpeg
Views: 856
Size:  396.8 KB
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 08:59   #3
Team-BHP Support

This is clearly a hobby activity for you (whether its the bike or the Thar). And hobbies are VERY personal. Only you can answer which vehicle you should go with.

But since you have put the query out I’d take a stab regardless and you can see if it resonates.

Intuitively, I’d say the fact that you’ve even asked this question leads me to believe you’re not really a motorcyclist at heart - you’re really just seeking a fun hobby and finding your way around what would engage you the most. To that extent, do actively consider making the switch to the Thar and see if it works for you. Its perfectly fine to move from one interest to another and it seems to me you’ve hit that transition mark with your riding.

Both are FUN in an incomparable way although the Thar will be easier to enjoy on a daily basis of course. Personally, in a perfect world I’d have both, but for me, the twist of the throttle even once a week is not something I’m able to give up on yet.

Perhaps see if you can rent a Thar for a weekend or even a bit longer (I know Chandigarh definitely has self drive rental options) and see if you have a more engaging connect with it than the bike. That might help in making a more informed decision.

Good luck!

Last edited by Axe77 : 10th May 2022 at 09:02.
Axe77 is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 11:20   #4
BHPian

Hold your motorcycle, you may regret selling it for anything other than a new motorcycle that is equally competent or content worthy. And I personally don't think a car can replace a motorcycle in terms of the exuberance.
drift87 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 11:48   #5
BHPian

Quote:
The question is: from one lifestyle vehicle to another, is the jump valid or I'm just bored?
Voted for Thar.

But there is one con: In Delhi, everyone and their uncle own a Thar now. There is zero exclusivity no matter who much you modify it.
naru80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 11:15   #6
BHPian

Whenever I see anyone purchase a 100 hp plus big bike in India, I wonder how and where they manage to use the damn thing. I have at times ridden a 390 KTM around Delhi and hardly found anywhere I could corner carve or go WOT. A Z900, sheesh.

Indian road surfaces/design + traffic conditions + people and animals having to share space with vehicles + climate make it the worst place in the world to own big, powerful motorcycles. A Thar on the other hand seems well suited to such jungle-like conditions.

If supermotos or road legal dirtbikes were available in India, you could have given them a look. They'd avoid a lot of the issues the Z900 has, and give you a taste of less maintenance intensive off-roading. Taking the Thar seriously off-road would require being more proactive with repair and maintenance (I think, but maybe I am wrong).
karanddd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 11:29   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I voted to keep the Z900, more because you have not listed any other option. If the Z900 is impractical, and even though you have had your share of biking, I would say a bike in hand is still useful. So my suggestion: change the bike to something more practical and one you like. Look for a Thar. Even if a used one. There will be folks who have got the new Thar, and will move on at sometime.
Old 11th May 2022, 12:08   #8
BHPian

I’ve owned a Jeep (SWB Kaiser), then moved on to motorcycles (Triumph Bonneville) and now to the 4X4 of Seas (a Brig 6.7 Rib). I’ve enjoyed each of these when I had them and each gave me exposure to a new lifestyle, helped me develop new skills, introduced me to new people and the list goes on..I’ve looked back at each phase and cherished it.

It’s one life- my recommendation would be to take your chances and move to the Thar. Jeeping is a wonderful experience and beyond just metal and rubber it will be a window to a whole new life experience- plus the entire family will be able to enjoy it a lot more.

Cheers
Sting

Last edited by Sting : 11th May 2022 at 12:11.
Sting is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 12:29   #9
BHPian

Let me play the devil’s advocate here to balance out the conversation.

Since when did practicality become a substitute for fun? You already have other cars - the bottom line should be which vehicle can you have more fun with? Thar or the Z900?

Yes, you might end up using the Thar more, but is it quantity which matters or the quality of the experience?
Would you prefer 3 decent/good meals outside or 1 exceptional dining experience a week? Like someone recently said at my workplace - it’s not about the years of experience anymore. It’s about the experiences per year.

The thrill per ride on the Z, I’m guessing, will be much higher than the thrill per drive on the Thar. Unless offroading excites you just as much as motorcycling, in which case, it’s an even battle.

I’d suggest holding on to the Z or get another motorcycle which you find more practical and more fun.
pavanmadhini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 12:38   #10
BHPian

Riding a big bike in India is very risky. The concept of safe bike riding and respecting the biker lifestyle is abysmal. Whenever the public sees a guy on a Superbike they will ask bro are you racing ? And for the cops the superbike rider is always the culprit. Coming to your question both of the vehicles give you enjoyment in different categories. The Thar is the best lifestyle vehicle you can buy for the buck. You will be protected from the weather and the vagaries of the road in air-conditioned comfort. You can go off road with it and visit places that are hard to reach. Coming to the Z900 man that's one good bike. I bet you would have smiled under your helmet whenever you felt its acceleration. I wouldn't recommend any Superbike as a daily runner as they don't make economic sense & it's very hard to guard your bike when it's parked. So the Thar it is that I would recommend for you to go ahead. But, if you want the thrill / the need for speed keep that Z900 and RIDE SAFE.
Old 11th May 2022, 12:39   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Background: I have two cars in the family (of 4). One is used by my dad (Corolla Altis), and the other one for me (Toyota Innova Crysta ZX, MT. Yes, TBHP helped me in this judgement).......I'd love to hear TBHP's more seasoned thoughts, as I'm corrupted by the Thar's beauty.
Depends on if you consider riding or off-roading as a hobby. I am suggesting what I would do if I had the moolah to spend on a new car.
  • If you want to have the best of both worlds, and enough garage space, sell the Z900, and buy something that's slightly lower on power, but more affordable to maintain to keep it pristine and lower cc for better heat management. Motorcycling is a passion, if you really love it, the kind of bike shouldn't matter, as long as it has enough power. Keeping the bike clean takes effort, we need to be extremely passionate about it and I feel your pain. Going by your comments though, I think riding is not a hobby or a strong enough passion for you, please don't take an offence, just my observation and happy to be proven wrong. A new Thar as I've heard has a waiting period of over 1 year unless you have some "jack", so why not rent out a Thar when you feel like pursuing off-roading as a hobby, if it's a hobby, or buy a second hand one if you heart prevails over mind?
  • Sell the bike and don't replace it if you are not enjoying riding and TLC'ing it. It will end up being a garage queen and will eventually turn into a white elephant, sad for both you and the bike.
  • Keep the bike, forget the Thar. Are you going to off-road? If not, your existing garage is good enough to last you for years, which frees up money to spend on the bike and will be far lower than spending on a Thar. You have already spent time and energy on the bike, so why not enjoy it even more? Start riding in all seasons other than the summers if possible, I have quite a few friends in Delhi who ride all year out. Try spending some more effort on the bike and riding it, it feels rewarding, will help reduce stress, and enjoyable but only if your are truly passionate.
  • Book the Thar, see if you want to or can enjoy the bike till delivery of the Thar, and then take a call.
I voted for keep Z900 but my preference will be option 1 above.
Shome is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 12:57   #12
BHPian

Swapping a Z900 for a Thar ? I would think NO.

The new Thar, while it may be beautiful, practical etc., since it is selling so much, it has become too common and has for sure, lost its exclusivity. May be, do something like me.

I have a ZX MT Innova Crysta
Have a Enfield Meteor (bought recently)
Also have a old gen Mahindra Thar

Search in the market and you may get one and you can have all at one go

Even if my Meteor is no way close to what you have, still, the feeling to ride a bike is something very different.

swami
Old 11th May 2022, 15:36   #13
BHPian

Voted to keep the Z900 and forget the Thar.

I am a Z900 owner myself. It is my daily driver. Done 22,000 kms plus so far in 2 years and a half and cannot stop smiling every morning when I get onto the bike to go to work. Heat issues, when compared to certain other bikes, are negligible.

Cheers!
krishsreedharan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 15:58   #14
BHPian

Quote:
The question is: from one lifestyle vehicle to another, is the jump valid or I'm just bored? There are a lot of pros vs. Cons that keep me awake at night due to "buyer's anxiety"
For the Thar:

- The way it looks. It is half the battle won, oh lord its a looker. I could look at it all day, sing praises about it, write a few poems and wage wars and build museums about Thar's looks.

I'd love to hear TBHP's more seasoned thoughts, as I'm corrupted by the Thar's beauty.
I guess you already have a strong liking to the Thar and this post is to confirm its a good decision

For me any day, Buying Thar will be the best option
  • You can enjoy it any day, any time irrespective of the whether or terrain
  • you are >200% safer in Thar than on a motorbike in Indian roads.
  • Take the hard top off, and you can enjoy the actual "Wind in the hair" without being worried about safety as in a motorbike
  • Thar is unique, a looker and is still an attention magnet. So you will not loose much of the attention you get as a superbike user.
  • Its so much more practical than a superbike, even your loved one can enjoy the car, heck even they can enjoy few off-road sessions too.
  • You will no more be an easy target for the traffic police

These are only my personal opinion. based on your question of either Z900 or Thar
If you are able to keep both, It will be even better

Last edited by Asish_VK : 11th May 2022 at 16:00.
Old 11th May 2022, 16:14   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I have ridden the Z900. A Thar may be more practical, but there is absolutely no logical comparison when it comes to fun that a Z900 provides.

I loved every second on it. You already have a reliable Crysta for all those practical runs in bad weather. A Z900 is a heart's decision. Don't sell it. Forget the Thar.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks