View Poll Results: Which one for me?
MG Hector CVT 66 50.00%
Jeep Compass DCT 66 50.00%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2022, 12:43   #16
BHPian

Re: MG Hector CVT vs Jeep Compass DCT

In the same conundrum here. I am a sedate driver and will be fine with either CVT or DCT. I am very happy with my Aspire DCT right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
5) How is the resale value of Compass? I could notice poor resale value for many 2019 Compass, being sold at less than 50% value after only 3 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR07 View Post
Resale is indeed poor. Infact I am not sure, if Jeep would still have operations in India, 5 years down the line. That will further affect resale significantly.
Low resale value? I have been looking at OLX/carwale/Cars24 etc and 2019 Limited Plus Petrol AT are all being quoted for 20L+ in Mumbai. It would have been around 25 OTR back in 2019. Even if you negotiate, it would be around 18 or 19. Prices for used Compass look insane.

Quote:
A) Hector vs Limited - Even after 5 Lakhs gap - Hector offers extra - Front parking sensors, 360 camera, passenger electrically adj seat, ventilated seats, App features for AC on/off, etc, bigger boot and backseat and may offer ADAS in facelift.
You'll have to go for Model S in Compass which is way more over priced and still you'll get a smaller boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That 5.5-lakh price difference is huge! The difference could take care of almost all your fuel expenses & maintenance for 5 - 6 years.
That's an interesting way of looking at the price difference. I am comparing Sharp 1.5 CVT and Compass model S DCT and the price difference in Mumbai is a whopping 8.8 lakhs.

Things I don't like about Hector - size. Way too big.
Things I don't like about Compass - price. Way too overpriced.
yashg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 17:07   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashg View Post
Low resale value? I have been looking at OLX/carwale/Cars24 etc and 2019 Limited Plus Petrol AT are all being quoted for 20L+ in Mumbai. It would have been around 25 OTR back in 2019. Even if you negotiate, it would be around 18 or 19. Prices for used Compass look insane.
If I was in your place, I wouldn't have gone for 2nd hand Jeep, especially Petrol with DCT. You never know how the 1st owner drove (indirectly trained this GB) and why selling after 2-3 years.

I just went through twitter & FB searching for issues reported by owners. I was surprised to notice the following: [Could be considered as a flawed way of looking at customer satisfaction index!]

1) In case of Jeep - (a) Getting stranded on road for some technical fault is common pain point (b) No spares available (c) Rattling issues in new cars (d) Limited ASS availability and lack of knowledge about technical faults (e) No. of cars sold vs. no. of issues reported on social media ratio is high (d) New car spending more time in workshop in initial months (e) Major parts are identified to be faulty in services that happen after warranty period gets over?!! {read multiple such reports for Landmark Jeep in DNCR}

2) In case of Hector - (a) FE is the biggest problem reported (b) Engine light turns on, hence scaring new owner (usually occurs during run-in period) (c) OEM fitted tyres deformation issue (d) Generally good feedback on ASS and experience.

Last edited by manpreetsj : 13th May 2022 at 17:25.
manpreetsj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 18:03   #18

Quote:
Hi! I am considering booking Hector Sharp CVT, with the expectation of facelift coming out during the waiting period of 3-4 months (may add ADAS). But before going ahead with booking just thought of exploring Jeep Compass, as I liked the Night Eagle variant recently introduced. On further reading found that Limited makes more sense overall package wise but is 5.5 lakhs more expensive than Hector top model.
Hector CVT , No doubt.
Petrol + DCT is not a very solid performer in both Compass as well as Hector. It is a refined unit which is ideal for cruising with low NVH.
We toyed with the idea of getting a Compass twice in the last 3 Years.
The first time we went for Hector in 2019 because we felt that Hector was more VFM because it had a spacious cabin, low NVH, compliant ride and had a lot more features than the pre-facelifted Compass.
Second time, earlier this year when we were hunting for my Dad's Corolla's replacement but chose the Innova Crysta instead because it was much more powerful, reliable and spacious in comparison to the Compass. My dad is anyways chauffeur driven and he found that the Compass's back seat felt lacking and was not as comfortable.
During both these instances, we felt that Compass has a cramped cabin space even when compared to Creta nor did it offer substantially better driving pleasure in the city where you'll be driving majority of the time.
It just did not justify that price tag imho.
bhavye.31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 18:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:
If I was in your place, I wouldn't have gone for 2nd hand Jeep, especially Petrol with DCT. You never know how the 1st owner drove (indirectly trained this GB) and why selling after 2-3 years.
Even I am not too keen on pre-owned Compass, especially at that price point. If it weren't for the high price and my wife keeping my impulses in check, I would have bought new Compass by now.

Now, I am waiting around for facelift Hector hopefully with ADAS.

I finally voted in the poll for Hector.
yashg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 21:49   #20
BHPian

This poll reminds me of the movie Troy.
Hector(Eric Bana) a good guy with positive traits, good character and personality losing to Achilles(Brad Pitt/Compass: flamboyant, unpredictable and handsome) marginally, like in the movie.

Last edited by Javelin : 13th May 2022 at 21:56.
Javelin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 10:50   #21
BHPian

I had voted for the Compass. You are likely to get a swing in favour of the Compass due to possibly a higher percentage of enthusiasts. End of the day, you need to evaluate based on your needs and wants. The Compass would be a more heart based decision arising out of a higher need for driving pleasure. The Hector would be a more head based decision if you value VFM, back seat space and features. In my opinion, I would probably give it to the Compass for comfort over long distances.
ASS would depend on your location but it is likely that MG would be slightly better.
Floyd de Souza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 15:22   #22
BHPian

Voted for Hector. I did drive one a few times, while not a enthusiast car, it had a great ride quality going for it. Also, I seriously think MG is way more committed to our market than JEEP or FIAT.
Sandy Damodaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 23:16   #23

You should go for Hector. Considering you are looking for an overall package. Hector has the sound system which no one can match plus the space comfort.

P.s: Consider Xuv 700 if you are willing to wait. What a petrol engine it has!!
appupandya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 08:07   #24
BHPian

Here is a post from my ownership experience of hector plus hybrid manual. This might throw some light on the engine part:

"Method Used: Tank full to Tank full
Fuel Filled: 46.40 Ltrs
Kms Travelled: 483
Fuel Efficiency: 10.40 Km/Ltr

My last month's running has been largely to a place around 6 kms from my house. The efficiency might improve if I run the vehicle for longer duration.

There is a lot of talks on the performance of the 1.5 Turbocharged Intercooled engine of Hector Plus.

I find the engine to be more than adequate for city driving. Coupled with the E-Boost provided by the Hybrid setup, pick of the car from standstill is reasonably quick.

The engine revs happily and produces peak power of 143ps@5000 rpm. MG has also tuned the engine to produce maximum torque at lower rpms: 250nm@1600-3600 rpm. These figures make the Hector Plus very nimble at lower speeds. These figures are also very close to the much envied 1.5 TSI engine (148 bhp @ 5000 rpm and 250 Nm @ 1500 rpm) of another SUV. However Hector is a heavier vehicle and that does play into the power to weight ratio.

While I was unable to find a 0 to 100 Acceleration Numbers of Hector Hybrid, my guess is that it will be well under 11 seconds, which will be equal (or better) than a diesel hector/safari.

MG should have given a more relaxed 6th gear. Currently 90 km speed comes at 2,000 rpm. I would have loved (and so would have the fuel efficiency numbers) to have 90 km at 1800 rpm."
TSEA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 08:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
MG should have given a more relaxed 6th gear. Currently 90 km speed comes at 2,000 rpm. I would have loved (and so would have the fuel efficiency numbers) to have 90 km at 1800 rpm."
Somewhere the limitation due to engine size will also come to play. If this were a 2 litre engine, you could have gotten a more relaxed RPM at highway speeds.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 09:43   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appupandya View Post
P.s: Consider Xuv 700 if you are willing to wait. What a petrol engine it has!!
Oh I had the option to take XUV700 AX7 in February. But I said no to it. The day we went for Hector TD, we did XUV just after that. The engine was definitely more powerful, however we didn't like the exterior designing of car (especially back) and the material fit and finish. We felt Hector had better quality of palstic and overall finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
Fuel Efficiency: 10.40 Km/Ltr

My last month's running has been largely to a place around 6 kms from my house. The efficiency might improve if I run the vehicle for longer duration.
Thanks for sharing. My daily running will also be limited to 7kms away office. Highway trips are limited to 2-3 annually. Hence, drive will be within city limits mostly. 10.5kmpl in manual hybrid, may turn out to be 8-9kmpl in CVT. I'm prepared for it. A friend recently bought Hector CVT and I did an hour long drive with him. Overall feedback was good and only negative being slow touchscreen feedback. I guess facelift may solve this. Another known fact is that sudden pickup from <10kmph with accelerator to floor has a second or so delay in pushing car forward. Can live with it as such situation comes up not often if idea is to cruise like I used to on my Enfield Classic Chrome 500cc.

Last edited by manpreetsj : 15th May 2022 at 09:56.
manpreetsj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 11:18   #27
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for sharing. My daily running will also be limited to 7kms away office. Highway trips are limited to 2-3 annually. Hence, drive will be within city limits mostly. 10.5kmpl in manual hybrid, may turn out to be 8-9kmpl in CVT. I'm prepared for it. A friend recently bought Hector CVT and I did an hour long drive with him. Overall feedback was good and only negative being slow touchscreen feedback. I guess facelift may solve this. Another known fact is that sudden pickup from <10kmph with accelerator to floor has a second or so delay in pushing car forward. Can live with it as such situation comes up not often if idea is to cruise like I used to on my Enfield Classic Chrome 500cc.
In Delhi-NCR, you should be able to extract 10 kmpl, easily.Fuel efficiency will increase only after couple of thousand kms on the odo
TSEA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 15:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashg View Post
Even I am not too keen on pre-owned Compass, especially at that price point. If it weren't for the high price and my wife keeping my impulses in check, I would have bought new Compass by now.

Now, I am waiting around for facelift Hector hopefully with ADAS.

I finally voted in the poll for Hector.
In case Hector 2022 model with Adas comes out by Sep / Oct, does it make sense to wait that long if one is getting current Hector within 2-3 weeks? I guess the 2022 model may come with cosmetic changes in front and back + ADAS + hopefully improve Touchscreen hardware. Rest all that is needed is there in current car. These changes may command a premium of 50-60k (esp. ADAS). Also a wait till October may mean further price hikes? (Though I feel commodities have started cooling off and with inflation and rising interest rates may lead to slow down in demand and overall we may not see any further hike till Oct).

If we go for hector, then above confusion is there!
Old 15th May 2022, 15:17   #29
BHPian

Quote:
In case Hector 2022 model with Adas comes out by Sep / Oct, does it make sense to wait that long if one is getting current Hector within 2-3 weeks?
ADAS is definitely something worth waiting for especially when it's an almost sure thing and just round the corner. They may or may not raise the prices. Recently when new ZS EV launched with bigger battery, prices were not increased despite it having a larger battery pack. Even if the prices are raised, ADAS would be worth paying 50-60K extra on a 20L+ car.
yashg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 15:20   #30
BHPian

Voted for Jeep Compass Petrol DCT.

If space and features like ventilated seats and front parking sensors are important for you, then by all means you should go with the hector. If you're thinking go buying the hector for features like 360 camera( average quality), ADAS(not useful in India as of now - even XUV700 owners don't use it much) and the app features( ON/OFF for ac etc.), then you're much better off with the Jeep Compass. It's got the brand value, it's an aspirational product and it will connect better with your heart, it might be wise to spend on a car that you like better since this is most likely to be your last ICE-powered car purchase.
Peri_patetic99 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks