View Poll Results: Which one for me?
MG Hector CVT 66 50.00%
Jeep Compass DCT 66 50.00%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2022, 15:33   #31
BHPian

Re: MG Hector CVT vs Jeep Compass DCT

Well, here is what it is for a sedate driver.

Hector wins over Compass in terms of space, reliability (CVT is any day 100% reliable than a DCT), comfort, space, refinement, initial cost, maintenance cost, features (for the cost).

Compass only wins over Hector in terms of ride and handling, build quality, fit and finish, features (only if you go with the top variant).

Of course, looks are subjective.
So my vote obviously goes to Hector hands down.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 12:20   #32
BHPian

100+ votes and it's still a 50-50 split. If one were to drive both these cars for a whole day (12 hours), which one will leave you less tired? Comments above suggest Hector is more comfortable and Jeep has better ride and handling.
Old 15th June 2022, 19:11   #33
BHPian

I was about to suggest you should add XUV700 5 STR AX5 Petrol Automatic in the poll as well. I feel this variant is a major competitor to Hector Sharp CVT. But saw you already rejected it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Neither of them are driver's cars. In fact, both have slow low-rpm response times and are best driven sedately, rather than aggressively. Keeping that in mind, I would pick the Hector CVT, enjoy the smoothness, space, soft ride quality, features, sound system & cruise comfortably with my family. It will likely be the more reliable gearbox in the long-term too. That 5.5-lakh price difference is huge! The difference could take care of almost all your fuel expenses & maintenance for 5 - 6 years. Plus, there is no doubt that your family will be happier travelling in the Hector vs the smaller cabin of the Compass.

Be sure to check out this excellent Hector CVT ownership report by TheVegabond.

Would it be better to go for XUV700 AX5 5STR Petrol Automatic over Hector Sharp CVT? Hector Sharp CVT is cheaper with more features than XUV700 AX5 P Auto but will XUV700 give better mileage than Hector?

Last edited by souvikjana83 : 15th June 2022 at 19:20.
Old 22nd June 2022, 17:39   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvikjana83 View Post
I was about to suggest you should add XUV700 5 STR AX5 Petrol Automatic in the poll as well. I feel this variant is a major competitor to Hector Sharp CVT. But saw you already rejected it.

Would it be better to go for XUV700 AX5 5STR Petrol Automatic over Hector Sharp CVT? Hector Sharp CVT is cheaper with more features than XUV700 AX5 P Auto but will XUV700 give better mileage than Hector?

The mileage figures of the XUV700 and Hector in Petrol are in similar ranges 9-11 kmpl average. see below recent post of real world fuel efficiency for the XUV700 petrol variant.

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/real-w...v700-mx-petrol

If you are looking for a VFM package with all round comfort and luxury then Hector CVT is a good purchase. XUV700 scores immensely in the department of driving dynamics and ride handling as does any Mahindra in such a segment.

I personally have booked Hector Sharp CVT for a wholesome experience. Also, the feedback i received of Mahindra and Tata ASS has been very discouraging. Jeep is an altogether different segment vehicle almost 10 Lakhs more for all its bells and whistles features. So its a big thumps up for the Hector for now as we have limited options in the D1 SUV segment.
joeva1706 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 08:32   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvikjana83 View Post

Yes, our family rejected XUV700 because we didn't like the fit and finish and excessive usage of average quality plastic throughout. Hector gave us more premium finish feel. The petrol engine of XUV is definitely better. But in 95% use case (assuming city use), the difference won't be felt much.

The mileage is almost similar from both cars as per many posts made on social media. Both will give mileage of 6 to 12km/L, depending on way you drive. Both have Turbo engines which will be sensitive to your foot weight.. Also, XUV's long waiting period is another negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeva1706 View Post
I personally have booked Hector Sharp CVT for a wholesome experience. So its a big thumps up for the Hector for now as we have limited options in the D1 SUV segment.
Congrats! I have also booked same variant. But planning to wait till August in hope of following two points - (1) Hector 2022 Facelift launch with ADAS + Diesel AT (2) Hyundai Tucson launch and price announcement in August. Will get to decide then whether to stretch to buy Tucson, as it offers better Diesel AT.

Last edited by manpreetsj : 25th June 2022 at 08:38.
manpreetsj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 16:13   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
Congrats! I have also booked same variant. But planning to wait till August in hope of following two points - (1) Hector 2022 Facelift launch with ADAS + Diesel AT (2) Hyundai Tucson launch and price announcement in August. Will get to decide then whether to stretch to buy Tucson, as it offers better Diesel AT.
Hey manpreetsj, I have been following your posts. Quite interested in knowing what decision you finally made.
Old 18th August 2022, 18:23   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dular View Post
Hey manpreetsj, I have been following your posts. Quite interested in knowing what decision you finally made.
Thanks for checking in! After Tucson price reveal, its is clear to me that 4th gen Tucson is - (1) Out of my budget! (2) Overpriced for what it offers.

On other hand, Compass doesn't offer much other than better brand recall and macho looks. Quality issues in new cars, low powered AT petrol engine (like Hector), low commitment of Jeep towards Indian market, smaller compact form factor, etc. keeps me away from it.

I will be sticking with my Hector Sharp CVT booking and wait for more details to come out for New Gen Hector. I am already liking the more cleaner dashboard design and front facia. Looking at current market (with overpriced compact cars) Hector should remain the best VFM vehicle even with price increase for New Gen.

No other car is in pipeline now as 2nd option and most likely it will remain so. By September New Gen Hector should get revealed with pricing and I may get early access (hopefully!) as my original booking dates back to Dec 21 (later cancelled in Feb in expectation of facelift and re-instated in May 2022).
manpreetsj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 11:25   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
I will be sticking with my Hector Sharp CVT booking and wait for more details to come out for New Gen Hector. I am already liking the more cleaner dashboard design and front facia. Looking at current market (with overpriced compact cars) Hector should remain the best VFM vehicle even with price increase for New Gen.

No other car is in pipeline now as 2nd option and most likely it will remain so. By September New Gen Hector should get revealed with pricing and I may get early access (hopefully!) as my original booking dates back to Dec 21 (later cancelled in Feb in expectation of facelift and re-instated in May 2022).
The reason I checked with you is because I am in a similar boat as you. After my personal disastrous experience with Jeep India and its dealership, I am being forced to look for other options. I also wholeheartedly agree with the points you made about Compass.

Therefore, I am looking at Hector as an option for the same reasons you mentioned in your post. I am just surprised to know that even Hector has such high waiting times. If you booked in May and still waiting for delivery, then again there seems to be a long waiting time.

It is getting pretty crazy with the waiting times in the car industry lately.
dular is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 14:07   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dular View Post
It is getting pretty crazy with the waiting times in the car industry lately.
I feel COVID has pushed all automakers to follow Kaizen and JIT like Toyota. These automakers now plan and manufacture vehicles basis the orderbook.

In case of MG, once order is placed, the whole process of manufacturing starts. Earlier manufacturers used to pile up cars and used to spend on real estate to keep this stock ready and also end up offering discounts to get rid of older cars.

3-4 months waiting seems to be the new norm.

I my case, I reinstated booking with a clear context that I am interested in facelift only. Current top-end was offered to me within 1 month. Hence, I am hopeful to get new gen car from initial batches.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks