View Poll Results: Which one for me?
MG Hector CVT 66 50.00%
Jeep Compass DCT 66 50.00%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2022, 07:32   #1
BHPian

MG Hector CVT vs Jeep Compass DCT

Hi! I am considering booking Hector Sharp CVT, with the expectation of facelift coming out during the waiting period of 3-4 months (may add ADAS). But before going ahead with booking just thought of exploring Jeep Compass, as I liked the Night Eagle variant recently introduced. On further reading found that Limited makes more sense overall package wise but is 5.5 lakhs more expensive than Hector top model. Hence, please guide on following:
1) How much discount can one negotiate and get from dealers in DNCR for Limited Petrol AT model? Please share your / friend's experience.

2) How is the mileage of petrol AT? Similar to that of Hector? I know petrol dct is a cruiser and i am fine with it.

3) Any report on long term reliability of Compass's DCT? Since it is a dry clutch DCT, historically in India such GB fail over 3-5 years. Clutch replacement cost is close to 80k, is it covered under any insurance or warranty? What should one budget as average maintenance cost over 5 years?

4) If I am from Gurgaon, does it make sense to register car in Chandigarh to save 1 lakh? Worth the hassle?

5) How is the resale value of Compass? I could notice poor resale value for many 2019 Compass, being sold at less than 50% value after only 3 years. My i20 after 5 years is getting almost 60-65% value

6) If mileage is not a concern and need a cruiser, which one do you recommend - Night eagle/ Limited vs Hector CVT? Features gap is as follows -
A) Hector vs Limited - Even after 5 Lakhs gap - Hector offers extra - Front parking sensors, 360 camera, passenger electrically adj seat, ventilated seats, App features for AC on/off, etc, bigger boot and backseat and may offer ADAS in facelift.

B) Hector vs Night Eagle/Longitude - In addition to above comparison, will loose out further on electrically adj driver seats, only 2 airbags, no Electrically adj ORVM, no rain sensing wipers, no pano sunroof, no electric tailgate close, no ambient lighting or gps or wireless charger!

Under both, Compass gives extra - Swag, Jeep branding, slightly better looking car, dual zone AC.

Both lack in service network, however maintenance is cheaper with MG as 70% of material is locally sourced + no DCT

Thanks!
manpreetsj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 08:25   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: MG Hector CVT vs Jeep Compass DCT

Neither of them are driver's cars. In fact, both have slow low-rpm response times and are best driven sedately, rather than aggressively. Keeping that in mind, I would pick the Hector CVT, enjoy the smoothness, space, soft ride quality, features, sound system & cruise comfortably with my family. It will likely be the more reliable gearbox in the long-term too. That 5.5-lakh price difference is huge! The difference could take care of almost all your fuel expenses & maintenance for 5 - 6 years. Plus, there is no doubt that your family will be happier travelling in the Hector vs the smaller cabin of the Compass.

Be sure to check out this excellent Hector CVT ownership report by TheVegabond.
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 09:53   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Be sure to check out this excellent Hector CVT ownership report by TheVegabond.
Completely agree with you on that. Home minister also gave similar feedback. She prefers Hector. I just want to be sure before splurging 22Lakhs on a car I plan to keep minimum 5 years!

And yes, I have read almost all threads and reviews on Hector, including the one you have shared. Though CrazyDriver's thread on Compass added to confusion!
manpreetsj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 10:21   #4
BHPian

MG's Chinese connection was enough for it to fall off the my list.
Agree, there are any features that could have given MG the edge. But thought it was lower in priority.
CLIX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 10:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted MG hector, for anyone who is looking for a cruiser and a comfortable ride while keeping fuel economy expectation in check, Hector is a no brainer.

Yes few would have reservations around chinese root, but then no matter what you buy these days you are helping China in some way or another. I personally have now moved on from that sentiment, but respect others too who would want to alter there decision on that point. I will personally book Hector in a jiffy if the facelift comes with Auto box in Diesel.

The rattles being widely reported on forums in Jeep is a big big limiting factor too, I just can not live with any sort of rattles in a cabin, and it will be criminal if a new car has rattles within first few months of ownership.

Last edited by AtheK : 11th May 2022 at 10:35.
AtheK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 12:14   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
I personally have now moved on from that sentiment, but respect others too who would want to alter there decision on that point. I will personally book Hector in a jiffy if the facelift comes with Auto box in Diesel.
I completely agree with you on Chinese connection. It doesn't bother me as well. You know how all auto manufacturers are dependent on China for various components and will continue to depend even in case of EVs for natural resources linked components. There is no getting away from this fact, it will take India 15-20 years to become an exporter like China (if we continue to take right steps!). Till then, be it Tata or M&M or any other startup or unicorn in other sector, all will be dependent on China for raw material or money. Simple comparison would be how Volvo is also owned by Chinese company, but very few know about it, as it belongs to a segment where the buyer knows what they are buying and not just get influenced by twitter comments on pro India sentiments.

Diesel Auto will change the game for MG for sure!! Compass is also expected to get it, after Meridian (getting 4x2 AT). Harrier already has it.
I will any day take that powerful engine, but only worried about - resale value down 5 years due to 10 year ban by NGT (spreading to more cities). Car manufacturers are also not introducing new cars with Diesel engines. Lack of investments and rising Diesel cost, also add to negatives. Are you fine with these concerns - especially resale value?

Last edited by manpreetsj : 11th May 2022 at 12:28.
manpreetsj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 12:29   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I have personally never picked any of my bike or car thinking of resale, so it does not bother me much. I just pick what connects to my heart and something that makes me smile while driving or riding. Example being a VW vento which is a resale disaster and to add to it I also have it remapped

NGT ban does play on mind sometimes, although not applicable in Bangalore yet, but you never know. That said I think ICE vehicles are anyway going to start depreciating fast as EV becomes mainstream and fuel cost increases. I would rather enjoy my last ICE vehicle without thinking of what If and what not.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 08:46   #8
BHPian

While Jeep is dream brand to own, one of the key reason it shines is because of FCA’s Diesel engine. If you are going for petrol engine then it’s only the brand and image you will have, not the fun of diesel torque.

The second most important point is after sales service. At least here in Pune it’s pathetic for FCA with only one service center with not so good dealer. I own Punto for almost a decade now and had worst experience them. I had to switch to FNG within the warranty period for my peace of mind given the issues that use to crop up after service center visits.

Hector’s petrol is also not great to write about but rest of the car is definitely much better in terms of comfort, features and space. You get much more then what you pay for if you compare it to Jeep. It’s the best cruiser in its segment. CVT offers better mileage as well. You will have positive ownership experience.
FiatDiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 09:32   #9
BHPian

As far as mileage is concerned, expect 6-8kmpl on both the petrol automatic cars based on your driving style.

Electric ORVM is available in longitude variant as per Jeep Compass Brochure, hence must be available in Night Eagle as well.

If you are not keen on sunroof. Night Eagle covers all “should have” features, except 6 airbags. Although “could have” features are definitely missing. I have a wireless charger for my phone at home, but hardly use it due to its inefficiency and heating. Similar would be in a car, i presume. Rest of the features you mentioned like electrical tailgate and ambient lighting is definitely good to have but not deal breakers, IMHO.

It seems you definitely want a good mileage. And leaning towards petrol is because of NGT rule. So, If i were you, would wait till Oct 22 for 6 airbags rule to come out. Then buy diesel manual Compass Night Eagle/Longitude with 6 airbags and get it registered from Chandigarh or get BH registration if eligible.

Caution: Reply is subject to implementation of 6 airbags rule.
Night Eagle is a limited edition variant and may not be available after Oct 22.
Javelin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 09:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the MG Hector CVT, because I was hunting in the same space late last year and picked this up over both my earlier candidates - Harrier and Compass; and after 9000 kms couldn't be happier with my decision.

As a complete package for the family and for trips (including a lot of trail driving due to my birding hobby), the Hector offers the maximum value. The comfort, space, features, refinement and the service experience, all belong to a different segment altogether. The other products somehow just didn't justify their price tag at all!

While deciding, the Jeep was the first to fall off from the list, when we realized that it is not significantly bigger than the Nexon that we were replacing, had known reliability issues and poor service stories. Harrier came close at the finish line but eventually got edged out due to the inherent roughness, minor ergonomic gaffes, poorer ride quality, and the ever increasing pandemonium at all Tata Service centers. The MG was cheapest on-road, which sets off the higher fuel bill over it's ownership cycle, had affordable 5 year service packages and offered the maximum features at the risk of repeating what I said earlier. The features that really counted for us at the end were the brilliant stock sound system, front ventilated seats, full flat floor, in-built TPMS and ability to sleep two people on a flat bed.

Last edited by roy_libran : 13th May 2022 at 10:06.
roy_libran is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 10:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatDiesel View Post
While Jeep is dream brand to own, one of the key reason it shines is because of FCA’s Diesel engine. If you are going for petrol engine then it’s only the brand and image you will have, not the fun of diesel torque.

The second most important point is after sales service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
As far as mileage is concerned, expect 6-8kmpl on both the petrol automatic cars based on your driving style.
It seems you definitely want a good mileage. And leaning towards petrol is because of NGT rule. So, If i were you, would wait till Oct 22 for 6 airbags rule to come out. Then buy diesel manual Compass Night Eagle/Longitude with 6 airbags and get it registered from Chandigarh or get BH registration if eligible.
I am avoiding Diesel because of manual only option + 10 years restriction & EV transition hitting resale value concerns. If Diesel AT was available, I would have been lured to pick that one after hearing such rave reviews about its power delivery! But to add to this, my driving is limited in city to 20kms/day as I prefer to stay closer to office. I have done 30K kms in current i20 in 5 years time. My Petrol manual gives me 9-10 km/l (something similar being quoted for these two as well )

As you said ASS is big question mark in case of Jeep. Also, Petrol AT's clutch replacement only may cost upto 80-90K, which may wear out in 2 years as per some reports online. Also, I have seen annual service bills of 25-30K for Jeep. Maybe, in case of Jeep 2-3 Lakhs need to kept aside for unknown service and repairs.

On postponing till Oct - Appreciate your views on 6 airbags, but I have already delayed purchasing decision by almost a year. I had booked Astor and then Hector in Dec 2021 and cancelled in Jan in hope of facelift by March. Since December Hector has already seen 40-50K price hikes. Given the inflation we are facing, another 6 months delay will add ~50K to bill. In addition to this, the urge to splurge on new car is difficult to resist now with logical reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I voted for the MG Hector CVT, because I was hunting in the same space late last year and picked this up over both my earlier candidates - Harrier and Compass; and after 9000 kms couldn't be happier with my decision.
Thanks Roy! Your experience with Hector is inspiring and giving me confidence in going ahead with it.

Last edited by manpreetsj : 13th May 2022 at 10:40.
manpreetsj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 10:39   #12
BHPian

Having bought the MG Hector CVT recently, I had to vote for it

Jokes apart, between the 2 cars in your consideration, the Hector is a better family cruiser and provides a big bang for the buck. You have already highlighted the major differences and apart from the better brand name, the Compass does not seem to provide anything that trumps the Hector. The Infinity music setup in Hector is a real kickass thing to go with other features.

In terms of reliability, CVT is a time tested technology in comparison to the iffy DCT which gives a better peace of mind in long run.

As none of these is an enthusiast car, the Hector makes much more sense than the Compass as a family cruiser.

Cheers!
TheVegabond is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 11:32   #13
BHPian

I have a Compass petrol DCT Sport variant (cost me about 22.5 on road in Gurgaon in Nov'21) & the mileage that I get varies from 7.5Kpl to 9.5kpl (based on AC usage & traffic).
When I test drove the Hector, I found it very bouncy & with a lot of body roll & it just felt like an overdose of tech. As GTO mentioned, neither are for enthusiasts, but between the two I found the Compass slightly more engaging to drive.
Both are turbo petrol so if you drive them with a heavy foot, both are likely to gulp fuel.
Feature wise, there is no comparison, Hector is way ahead of the Compass. However I was never too inclined for feature rich cars.

I have posted a review of my buying process & the comparison of other options before finally buying Compass DCT here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5226171 (Jeep Compass : Official Review)
aayusht is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 11:34   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
Hi! I am considering booking Hector Sharp CVT, with the expectation of facelift coming out during the waiting period of 3-4 months (may add ADAS).
I believe you are on the right track. Going by your choices, the Hector is the more comfort oriented car of the two, without a doubt. If you want performance, I will suggest to look at the XUV700 (provided you can afford the agonizing waiting period)

As for your questions-

1) 1) How much discount can one negotiate and get from dealers in DNCR for Limited Petrol AT model? Please share your / friend's experience.-

No idea on this.

2) How is the mileage of petrol AT? Similar to that of Hector? I know petrol dct is a cruiser and i am fine with it. -

Hector would deliver slightly better, especially in city, considering it has a CVT vs the guzzler DCT of Compass.

3) Any report on long term reliability of Compass's DCT? Since it is a dry clutch DCT, historically in India such GB fail over 3-5 years. Clutch replacement cost is close to 80k, is it covered under any insurance or warranty? What should one budget as average maintenance cost over 5 years?-

Dry DCT have never been reliable in India. If reliability and maintenance costs are a concern, please stay away from Compass.

4) If I am from Gurgaon, does it make sense to register car in Chandigarh to save 1 lakh? Worth the hassle?- Why not get a BH series numberplate instead?

5) How is the resale value of Compass?-

Resale is indeed poor. Infact I am not sure, if Jeep would still have operations in India, 5 years down the line. That will further affect resale significantly.

6) If mileage is not a concern and need a cruiser, which one do you recommend - Night eagle/ Limited vs Hector CVT?- Hector CVT without a doubt.
CR07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 11:40   #15
BHPian

I am very new to car buying. But having seen my father buy a couple of cars till date he has given me some valuable advice. He believes you should always buy the top end model of a lower car than the mid/bottom variant of a higher car. In the long run, it always turn out to be better. Hold on to the car for 10+ years, and then switch for another top end variant again at that point of time. Right now, you will easily forgo the features of Hector for the brand name of Jeep. But you will come to miss these very creature comforts in the future if you plan to retain the vehicle for 10+ years. Hence voted for the Hector.
AB10 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed