Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2022, 00:18   #1

Booked BMW X3, put down-payment on an apartment & now have a budget of 50-lakhs | Which SUV?

So it all started after I came back to India after sailing in the first week of April 2022. Till now we were owning S Cross 1.3 alpha, which was bought after moving to Bangalore in 2016. It was a hasty decision as we needed a car in desperation due to my nature of the job and having 2 kids under the age of 10.

Now the itch of getting an automatic is going out of control

As soon as I was back on land, the hunt for a suitable car was on. The budget was mutually fixed (between me and my wife) to 70 lakhs. That means some models from the big 3 German brands were also within our reach. Cars considered-

1)- VW Tiguan
2)- Skoda Kodiak
3)- Fortuner
4)- Audi A4 (although sedans are not on our preference list)
5)- BMW X1 S20d
6) - Merc GLA 220d 4 Matic
7)- Volvo XC 40
8)- BMW 3 series 330li M sport

Once the list was sorted, we started inquiries on phone. The first and only showroom we visited was Deutsche Motoren BMW. Went there to TD X1 and 3 series. Ended up TD'ing X3 also. After experiencing X3, there was no going back. Since this car was stretching my budget by another 15 lakhs and my wife was adamant against leasing (BMW 360° plan), we took our own sweet time to seek our finances. Once done, we paid the token money and booked X3 30i M sport in Brooklyn grey shade.

Now looks like the luck has another plan. Last week a society in which I was eyeing a flat in resale for a very long time, suddenly was available with unbelievable price. The owner was insisting on a good chunk of cash to be paid upfront to close the deal as he needed it urgently. So the cash which was kept aside for car purchase was spent on down payment of flat.

Now I am back to square one. Of course, X3 is out of the question! Now our budget has been restricted to 50 lakhs with a slight stretch of a couple of lakhs.

When our budget was in the north of 70L then X1 and XC 40 were looking for good deals. Suddenly when the budget was trimmed down to the south of 50L then these don't look like viable purchases anymore (power of perception). X1 and XC40 being on the extreme of our budget don't look like VFM products due to either space crunch or missing features once compared to other products in a similar price range.

Now with the new budget, my heart and mind are only fixated on 2 offerings-

JEEP MERIDIAN or HYUNDAI TUSCON (new gen). And to make matters more complicated, none of these is available right now. Today got a call from Advaith Hyundai to prebook the new Tuscon, even when they themselves don't know the launch date. But since I have to join back by June start/mid, I am contemplating doing the advance booking.

So please help me out-

- is it advisable to do advance booking of a car of which except for the exterior looks and engine specs, I don't know anything?
- Tucson or Meridian?
- Is any other suitable car in this price bracket except the ones already mentioned?

Hope to get my split thoughts settled down from your helpful inputs!

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th May 2022 at 08:22. Reason: Spacing and grammatical, please proofread before posting.
marinerandy is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 08:16   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Booked BMW X3, put down-payment on an apartment & now have a budget of 50-lakhs | Which SUV?

Glad you spent money on an apartment rather than an X3. Between a property investment & a car, I will always go for the former and buy a nicer car later (hopefully with the property's appreciation).

For 50-lakhs, my suggestion to you unfortunately will be to wait. Am not happy with any of the current options, including the bumpy Fortuner or the Meridian which is really a Compass with a small 3rd-row of seats (good for people who need it for kids, but you don't). The best SUVs under 50-lakhs:

- Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 TSI with adjustable suspension. Sold out for this year. Check with your Skoda dealer on next availability. This should be your top choice.

- Next-gen Hyundai Tucson. Great international reviews. Will be worth the wait.

- In the meantime, test-drive the Volvo XC40 (stylish, competent, but small), Camry (brilliant luxury car) and BMW 3-Series (family friendly & fun).

Waiting might be the best for you. Kodiaq & new Tucson might become available and after a year, perhaps your budget might increase again to 70 lakhs. Never know, that more expensive car could work out cheaper in the longer run. Want to know how? Read this article (How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)).
GTO is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 08:38   #3
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Booked BMW X3, put down-payment on an apartment & now have a budget of 50-lakhs | Which SUV?

Golden days of real estate are all over in most places (From an investment perspective). If you are buying a flat to live in, then its worth pain you have gone through in terms of the down-payment.

Why not the used car route ? Quite of a few BHPians have picked good used cars which are only a year or two old. You might be able to pick an X3 at the 50 lac range !!
bharanidharang is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 11:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Waiting might be the best for you. Kodiaq & new Tucson might become available and after a year, perhaps your budget might increase again to 70 lakhs. Never know, that more expensive car could work out cheaper in the longer run. Want to know how? Read this article (How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)).
Thanks for much needed advice. This article related to "expensive cars working out cheaper" changed my perspective. I also did some brainstorming over Tuscon vs Meridian. And you are right. Meridian is a blown up Compass in many senses. Whereas Tuscan is in different league altogether in Hyundai portfolio. Now the choices are clear either it's going to be Tuscon or Kodiaq. Only thing matters is the final product in the guise of Tuscon and it's pricing. If it is in the territory of Kodiak by +- 5 big ones, then Kodiak is the better choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Golden days of real estate are all over in most places (From an investment perspective). If you are buying a flat to live in, then its worth pain you have gone through in terms of the down-payment.

Why not the used car route ? Quite of a few BHPians have picked good used cars which are only a year or two old. You might be able to pick an X3 at the 50 lac range !!
Actually this flat was in my wishlist as an investment only. Knowing surely that it will appreciate in coming years due to some upcoming demographic changes. And it is already occupied by tenants with good monthly rent.
You are right with pre-owned route. But in Bangalore the 2nd hand car market is absurd and the prices punch above the weight of the cars. If decently and fairly priced then it's a better preposition any day.

Last edited by Eddy : 17th May 2022 at 11:15. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
marinerandy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 11:12   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinerandy View Post

Now with the new budget, my heart and mind are only fixated on 2 offerings-

JEEP MERIDIAN or HYUNDAI TUSCON (new gen).

So please help me out-

- is it advisable to do advance booking of a car of which except for the exterior looks and engine specs, I don't know anything?
- Tucson or Meridian?
- Is any other suitable car in this price bracket except the ones already mentioned?
I am exactly in the same position, left to choose between these exact two options. I want an abuse friendly SUV and while I would have wanted it to be great to drive, the Meridian just leaves it wanting on a few crucial fronts.

While the Kodiaq is clearly the best vehicle from a finish, sophistication and performance perspective, I want something that I can take the rough and tumble a bit, with full peace of mind without having to baby the car or be mindful as I would with an expensive German vehicle. I am simply not a full fat BOF customer either. I would prefer the sophistication of a monocoque package with is a little more car like to drive than the Fortuner.

That primarily leaves me only with exactly the above two options.

I am also torn between either taking the plunge with the Meridian right away if I find it even "acceptable" or alternately wait for the next gen Tucson but then there is no guarantee when it will actually launch. Outlier options could be this all new Toyota petrol hybrid that is supposed to come through sometime around the festive season, depending on how its packaged. I intuitively expect that car to be underwhelming to drive compared to the Meridian.

All in all, not a great price point to be in, if one doesn't one to break the bank and stretch to the 75L segment.

To answer your point on advance booking, I see no harm in it as long as its not a massive amount and if its FULLY refundable. I had also placed a small token with Jeep on this understanding as far back as Feb / March IIRC but I got both these points clarified in writing from them.

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th May 2022 at 11:14.
Axe77 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 11:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think you have made the right decision. Between an appreciating property and a depreciating one, the former is always wise (need to listen to the head once in a while). Why don't you look at the Honda CRV? I am not sure of the availability right now, but a brand new one will be well with in your budget.
Old 17th May 2022, 12:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I am exactly in the same position, left to choose between these exact two options.
Today I called up Skoda showroom. Kodiaq is sold out for this year and no advance booking is going on. I have given up on Meridian as this seems to be a big blown up Compass (my personal opinion). So now I am left with Tuscon. I have submitted to my fate and calmed my nerves. I will go with Tuscon (top model only & hoping it to be AWD). Tried for XUV 7OO also (inspite of owning 5OO W6 from the very first lot of 10,000 units), but the rudeness shown by sales executive just filled me with regret for wasting my time. Good times destroys the humbleness. Considered Tiguan also, but since for some extra big ones Kodiaq appeals more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
I think you have made the right decision. Between an appreciating property and a depreciating one, the former is always wise (need to listen to the head once in a while).
You are absolutely right. The logical voice emitting from head is literally screaming to opt for Tucson.

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th May 2022 at 15:04. Reason: Trimming quoted posts + some formatting edits.
marinerandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 13:17   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Cars considered-

1)- VW Tiguan
2)- Skoda Kodiak
3)- Fortuner
4)- Audi A4 (although sedans are not on our preference list)
5)- BMW X1 S20d
6) - Merc GLA 220d 4 Matic
7)- Volvo XC 40
8)- BMW 3 series 330li M sport
This is pretty much my short list with 2 additional entries - The Czech babies & the Volvo S60. And my choice has been to wait for the following reasons.

Octavia/Superb/Tiguan:
Waiting period of 3/6/6 months. Of this Octavia is the latest gen and VFM in this list.

Kodiaq:
Fantastic option, but no availability.

Fortuner:
I believe it is due for a refresh next year (was supposed to be this year). Only choice if someone wants a true BOF SUV. I have been toying with the 4x4 idea but the drab interiors has kept me at bay so far.

A4:
If they come back with those mouth watering discounts, I will buy it without second thoughts, no otherwise.

X1:
The next gen is getting launched towards end of this year and it looks handsome, I might probably go for this if nothing else works out by the time this launches.

XC40:
Please test drive this. Great car, the only reason I ruled this out was the abysmal under thigh support in the back. I need good back seat too, though its use is quite limited.

S60:
They have my token amount for this but now I hear the shipment which was supposedly planned for August may not happen till year end. Waiting for an update.

3 Series:
Great drivers car but, I am still not convinced shelling out the additional 6Ls for the M-Sport kit, specially after they deleted a few features off it. Never considered their LWB version as it was falling out of my high watermark budget wise.

Tucson:
Wait and watch, will go for the diesel AWD if it launches in a 5 seater avatar with all the safety bells and whistles.

Merc/Meridian:
Did not consider

In short, with the exception of Octavia, Tucson (next gen*), Kodiaq, X1 (next gen*) and S60 am not convinced about the other options in this price bracket. Personally, I have decided to wait with the only exception being the S60 which has a token from my end. Yes the prices might go up, but I believe easing of semi-conductor shortage and the possible recession might keep the prices in check. Also with the chip shortage easing, the new launches that were supposed to happen this year 'may' happen towards end of 2022/23.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 18th May 2022 at 19:40. Reason: Typos
SR-71 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 14:17   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes. A rare one at that - the Citroen C5 Aircross.

Overpriced, yes! But better in ways that the Meridian or Tucson cannot match - stuff like ride quality, cocooned build quality, etc. Competent in other areas like a well-matched Diesel AT combo, five-year complimentary maintenance package, good space and practically, etc.

Worth a TD.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 08:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Yes. A rare one at that - the Citroen C5 Aircross.

Overpriced, yes! But better in ways that the Meridian or Tucson cannot match - stuff like ride quality, cocooned build quality, etc. Competent in other areas like a well-matched Diesel AT combo, five-year complimentary maintenance package, good space and practically, etc.

Worth a TD.
Yes, this French delicacy also crossed my mind. Only thing which kept me on the bay is, their future in India. The car which I will buy now is going to stay with in the family for atleast a decade. And the footprints of Citroën is not very sure-footed here. This leaves me wondering that are the gonna stay that long here?
marinerandy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 09:11   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, this French delicacy also crossed my mind. Only thing which kept me on the bay is, their future in India. The car which I will buy now is going to stay with in the family for atleast a decade. And the footprints of Citroën is not very sure-footed here. This leaves me wondering that are the gonna stay that long here?
Your risk is the same with Jeep - considering both are Stellantis brands for India.

Considering Jeep is sticking with premium models only and Citroen is going mass-market with the C3 soon, the risk-levels may even be lesser. However, parts may not be as easy to come-by, considering the huge difference in sales (between a Compass/Meridian and a C5).

PS: I (personally) don't see any sense in them retaining separate dealership networks in the long-run, and believe both brands will end up sharing showroom space.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 22:20   #12

Quote:
Hope to get my split thoughts settled down from your helpful inputs!
Or another thing that you can do is buy a beater car that is used and wait till the new gens have launched or a car is available to you for a good deal. That way you will get the car that you desire without having to compromise with any of the cars mentioned above like the meridian or the Tucson.

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th May 2022 at 22:27. Reason: Quoted post trimmed.
Old 19th May 2022, 00:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Considering Jeep is sticking with premium models only and Citroen is going mass-market with the C3 soon, the risk-levels may even be lesser. However, parts may not be as easy to come-by, considering the huge difference in sales (between a Compass/Meridian and a C5).

After your suggestion I went through the reviews of C5 on you tube and team bhp forum. Yesterday, finally I took TD. Car is really awesome. But at this pricepoint, with almost same engine option Safari entices me more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratham_V12 View Post
Or another thing that you can do is buy a beater car that is used and wait till the new gens have launched or a car is available to you for a good deal. That way you will get the car that you desire without having to compromise with any of the cars mentioned above like the meridian or the Tucson.
Ever heard a word "TELEPATHY". One thing which was not mentioned on my end was that, my wife has suffered a serious left knee problem. It will take at least 6-8 months to fully recover. That's why I am in a hurry for automatic drivetrain. Exactly the same words came from her mouth yesterday. Better we buy a car in the price range of 15L tops now and then exchange the S Cross with a higher end one, next year. So 2 cars have been shortlisted as of now to be the beater car- Sonet gtx+ diesel auto / Kiger turbo CVT. These cars and models are the one only available with fast delivery (less then 1 month). Which will be perfect for me as wife will have an auto to drive and I can also join ship by June end. Since she is chip designer, WFH is not a long term option.

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th May 2022 at 07:16. Reason: Fixing quote tag.
marinerandy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 06:43   #14
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Better we buy a car in the price range of 15L tops now and then exchange the S Cross with a higher end one, next year. So 2 cars have been shortlisted as of now to be the beater car- Sonet gtx+ diesel auto / Kiger turbo CVT. These cars and models are the one only available with fast delivery (less then 1 month).
End of story! Started on 17th and ended on 19th. Made an amusing reading.
Something is missing.

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th May 2022 at 07:21. Reason: Fixed quote tags and trimming quoted text
sumukha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 07:32   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

So 2 cars have been shortlisted as of now to be the beater car- Sonet gtx+ diesel auto / Kiger turbo CVT. These cars and models are the one only available with fast delivery (less then 1 month).
Please do let us know which of these two options you end up booking finally.

Good luck!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks