Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2022, 10:53   #31
BHPian

Re: Upgrading from a Renault Duster | 25-lakh budget | Cars have become so expensive!

Thank you for all the great suggestions. Have been extremely busy the last week or so to respond. The current status stands here-

We went to the nearest TATA and Mahindra showrooms back to back to see how the family feels in all the three rows. We felt that the Safari is roomier more comfortable for 2nd and 3rd rows due to the recline and slide functionality being offered. XUV felt a size smaller somehow in the 2nd and 3rd rows.

There were a Nexa and Hyundai showrooms nearby and we thought why not try the XL6 and Alcazar to save some bucks if in case they do clear most of the requirements and here goes wife's take on those -

1. 2022 XL6 - Feels like a Duster in the inside . Why do we even replace the Duster with this. I think I agree on that. Too subtle looks plus MPVish and at 18 OTR isnt that far away from base variants of Safari or XUV

2. Alcazar - Interior felt better than XL6 but why should we spend 24 on this.

For not being a car person, she is spot on with her comments

We will go and checkout the Crysta today but I dont think I would want to stretch beyond the GX or VX . Wife already feels it doesnt feel SUVish to replace a Duster. Though Duster is a compact cross over, it always did have that butch SUV feel and ideally a Fortuner is what would have been that upgade but with it costing twice of what we can afford, it should be between the XUV, Safari and the Crysta.

Also Im amazed that no one suggested the Hector plus. I personally do not like its narrow profile but was expecting someone to recommend it as well.

Also it is a relief to know that most Duster owners are in a similar boat and it is just not me. It is really hard to replace a Duster period.

Last edited by vamsi2390 : 2nd June 2022 at 10:54.
vamsi2390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 11:20   #32
Team-BHP Support

Re: Upgrading from a Renault Duster | 25-lakh budget | Cars have become so expensive!

You can also check Alturas G4 if 4WD is not on your bucket list. At approx. 21L ex-showroom, this is the most VFM car one can buy. Is massive, is comfortable, powerful, AC is chiller, has memory seats and competes with the Fortuner.

The 4WD variant is surprisingly 10L more expensive.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd June 2022 at 11:30.
Old 2nd June 2022, 11:36   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
You can also check Alturas G4 if 4WD is not on your bucket list. At approx. 21L ex-showroom, this is the most VFM car one can buy.
Is that 21L Ex-showroom a typo? I am seeing it close to 28L ex-showroom and 35 on road for G4.
Old 2nd June 2022, 11:45   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMaw View Post
Is that 21L Ex-showroom a typo? I am seeing it close to 28L ex-showroom and 35 on road for G4.
I don't blame you, I was as shocked as you are. This is from Mahindra's website.

https://auto.mahindra.com/suv/alturas-g4
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading from a Renault Duster | 25-lakh budget | Cars have become so expensive!-alturas.jpg  

Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 15:02   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
Thank you for all the great suggestions. Have been extremely busy the last week or so to respond. The current status stands here-

We went to the nearest TATA and Mahindra showrooms back to back to see how the family feels in all the three rows. We felt that the Safari is roomier more comfortable for 2nd and 3rd rows due to the recline and slide functionality being offered. XUV felt a size smaller somehow in the 2nd and 3rd rows.

We will go and checkout the Crysta today but I dont think I would want to stretch beyond the GX or VX . Wife already feels it doesnt feel SUVish to replace a Duster. Though Duster is a compact cross over, it always did have that butch SUV feel and ideally a Fortuner is what would have been that upgade but with it costing twice of what we can afford, it should be between the XUV, Safari and the Crysta.

Also it is a relief to know that most Duster owners are in a similar boat and it is just not me. It is really hard to replace a Duster period.
Thank you for writing this post, as I have been pondering writing a similar one. The only difference is my hunt to replace my 2013 Terrano 110 (The Decimator).

If you don't mind, I'll share my piece of dilemma and observation here as the concern resonates a lot for people like us on the same boat.

My Decimator is nine years (in November) with 97K on ODO. This year, I've spent close to 60K on it- got new sets of FR shocker, FR bearings, FR windshield, a dent and paint cleanup, interior and exterior detailing, & light upgrades to better low halogen and LED high beam. It rides as if nothing matches on the road this side of 30L. I wouldn't change it for the next three years if not for this stupid 10years NCR ban.
And yes, I would like to add one to the concern you raise- CARS are EXPENSIVE now!!! More than ever!!! And no matter if there's an explanation based on any factor, it is not a VFM proposition for ordinary middle-class people.

Contenders:
1. XUV700: I own a Mahindra already, but the dealership, although very courteous personally, have an air of DGAF in context to bookings as every model is selling like hot cakes. He suggested I book Scorpio instead in the first batch and said many XUV owners would transit, which might bring leverage. I couldn't fathom how, but all the chaos doesn't inspire confidence to pin my hopes on it as the only option that might cost me 30L OTR by the time it's available(2023??). For that much money, I won't consider it.
I booked it last month, with a delivery update of May'24.

2. Harrier/Safari:
I took TD of Harrier a few months back, with the drive of Safari last month. Among these two, the only primary reason to consider Safari was the rear disc brake, EPB-Auto Hold; and the minor one was the availability of 2 seats if required. I like Harrier more in looks, it feels complete, but Safari is no less. I would go for DARK top-end XZA+.
If the rumours are valid for an upgraded Harrier/ Safari by year-end with features like Rear Disc, EPB, and updated info, that'll close the deal for me.

3. Compass:
This is one car I have wanted since first-gen, but they have been ahead of the competition in pricing out of range and value. I took TD of petrol Auto, and it is Just Okay..... not as exciting as I wish for the price. The space is a downgrade from our Terrano, with only up being the revamped interior of the facelift. I was eyeing the Night Eagle version, but the interiors are a tad too dull, unlike the rugged black of the DARK version of TATA.
Also, maybe I'm a little biased out of the habit of driving my car, but even Compass couldn't trump the Ride factor, with almost equal drivability, albeit with more power. (Diesel; petrol seemed timid).

4. New Innova:
This is an unlike entrant and will solely rely on the final product offering, price (25 expected), and will serve the purpose as I get to swap this with the bigger horse in our stable, Alturas. My Dad can drive only Auto now, and he always likes Innova for some reason so it will be a win-win. But, I won't consider it if Toyota includes their Mafia tax like Fortuner or strips of features like current-gen. Our running is not too high to rely heavily on the Toyota badge.

5. Scorpio-N:
Should I?? I mean, no offence, but I wouldn't even consider if it's in line or evolution in terms of dynamics of the existing model. I'm hoping with the current profound expertise of Mahindra, after sucking the life and R&D out of other players (Ssangyong, Ford, Pininfarina), they've yielded excellent evolution of 700 and would do that with ScorpioN.

Quote:
You can also check Alturas G4 if 4WD is not on your bucket list. At approx. 21L ex-showroom, this is the most VFM car one can buy. Is massive, is comfortable, powerful, AC is chiller, has memory seats and competes with the Fortuner.

The 4WD variant is surprisingly 10L more expensive.
Quote:
I don't blame you, I was as shocked as you are. This is from Mahindra's website.

https://auto.mahindra.com/suv/alturas-g4
I believe the ExShowroom for BS6 version is 31L(4X4) and 28L for 4X2, with few dealers offering up to 3L off on available stock. I'm not sure if the dynamics still remains same, but if it's offered with an assured buyback and extended warranty (which we haven't taken for ours), I would still recommend it to others. I cant have the same one though.
I don't want to jinx it, but if everything works well, and it fares well in tests of time, it would hold a place with the likes of Yetis and Hexas, which people admired in subtlety, but didn't buy one, and wondered why it didn't succeed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks