Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: 2022 - Max 16L - 4X4/ AWD - High GC, Heavy Load New-Preowned vehicle - Farm/ Village Roads + Highway
Preowned ISUZU V-Cross 4X4 2017-2020 47 25.00%
Force Gurkha 2022 - New 32 17.02%
Preowned Tata Hexa XT AWD - 2017-2019 26 13.83%
Preowned Toyota Fortuner - 4X4 AT - 2014-2016 61 32.45%
Preowned Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 VX 4X4 - 2016+ 5 2.66%
Preowned Scorpio S10/S11 - 4X4 - 2016+ 9 4.79%
Others - Duster AWD AMT, Endeavour 4X4, ScorpioN - Mention in Post with Price or Link. 8 4.26%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2022, 15:45   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 16 lakh budget | 4x4 + Ground Clearance | New or Pre-owned?

Maybe consider the Bolero Neo/TUV300 as well?

Not a 4WD/AWD but it is rear wheel drive BOF and comes with a mechanical MLD on the rear axle. It should be an advantage in slushy conditions. Plus side, you can get a lightly used one well under your budget.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 15:53   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

Not a 4WD/AWD but it is rear wheel drive BOF and comes with a mechanical MLD on the rear axle. It should be an advantage in slushy conditions. Plus side, you can get a lightly used one well under your budget.

This is Spot on. Have been driving on the exact same stretch and i dnt really think you require a true blue 4 by 4 to fulfill your requirements. A rear wheel drive bolero can do the job easy and you would have money to spare. The Gurkha is a good bet too, but its a little overpriced is what my humble submission is.

* Sorry, just realised you said you are not interested in the Bolero

Last edited by nairanupg : 7th June 2022 at 15:55.
nairanupg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 17:16   #18
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

I'd say Fortuner because it's reliable and easy to maintain, plus the D-4D goes like anything.
Sure it has it's pitfalls like bumpy ride, average middle row comfort and no exclusivity but will serve your requirements effortlessly. Bumpy suspension can be tackled with ARC/ARB upgrades and it's not like the catto or pupper will say that they aren't getting sufficient thigh support.

The aftermarket support is so stellar that you may be able to modify the middle bench for more comfort (have seen people put electric adjustment lounge chairs in there).

Also, they started putting the 5 AT from MY2013 and 4x4 AT was made available at the start of 2015. 5 may seem like too few ratios but trust me, it works. I only saw low rpms and double digit economy between 70-100 km/h the entire time.

100,000km on a fortuner is too less to have any affect.
vredesbyrd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 17:18   #19

A car that you skipped and could be the ideal one for all your needs is a preowned Mitsubishi Pajero Sport AT.

4x4- check
AT- check
high ground clearance- check
seven seats- check
can take abuse- check

It is probably among the most underrated 4x4 according to me and I feel you should consider one in your hunt.
MotorUniverse is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 18:29   #20
BHPian

While I have voted for the Fortuner, I would ask you to take a look at the Pajero Sport as well. It really clicks all your boxes but does have a pretty bad Low End Torque.

As far as reliability goes, It feels pretty indestructible and built to last. I got one for pretty much the same purpose in December and its holding up beautifully so far with a remap and all as well.
Sandy Damodaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 18:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorUniverse View Post
A car that you skipped and could be the ideal one for all your needs is a preowned Mitsubishi Pajero Sport AT.

4x4- check
AT- check
seven seats- check
can take abuse- check

It is probably among the most underrated 4x4 according to me and I feel you should consider one in your hunt.
The Pajero Sport AT never came with 4x4. It uses a Porsche derived INVEX2 gear box with additional paddle shifters. The torque was also detuned to 350NM vs 400NM for the manual, although it does come in at lower revs.
Sandy Damodaran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 18:59   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

ScorpioN may be the best way to go, given you will get a brand new design and vehicle with a lot of features you will miss in the other mid-2010 or older designs on the cars you have listed. With your high running, you must spend a lot of time in the car and the comfort, convenience and safety features are well worth paying a bit more for. Mahindra may do an upset with the pricing and if you book early, you should also get price protection as they did with XUV700. Reliability of new M&Ms have been very good even at launch time. I have a 2020 Thar, among the first to be delivered here in Chennai and have had zero issues with it. Factory warranty and the ability to extend it for a couple of years at a very reasonable price may mean total cost of ownership over the period you keep the car may be better than pre-owned cars.
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 19:46   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Why:

2600kms per month. Including weekly 350kms return trips to a commercial farm with eight kms of return rough village road (No Tar). The weekly trip would be on Mumbai Goa Route from Thane to Mahad area. This is being developed into a fine road but will take another 4 years to be completed in my estimate.

In the interim period there would be the usual skipping/ shifting from one side of the divider to the other as in under construction roads, passing adjacent to under construction flyovers and underpasses on hastily constructed roads, driving on undulating surfaces etc. The last section of four kms is a rough village road with no Tar. Road sections would have muddy slush and water logging.

The initial period would involve staying in Tents, while a farmhouse gets ready.

This is for a commercial operation.
PS: The Purchase will be in July most probably. I have test driven ALL the options listed by me above, at various times.
Keep in mind that the Hexa Manual AWD really struggles on steep slippery climbs both due to its short first gear and long wheelbase gets caught at times.

Can be seen in these videos.

Although, in terms of ride-quality nothing comes close.

A 5 year old Tata down the line will also start developing issues:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...y-expired.html

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/tata-h...ple-issues?amp

Have voted for the Fortuner 4X4 AT for a few simple reasons:-

- Ultra R-E-L-I-A-B-L-E
- Excellent support even out of warranty and competent TASS. As an owner visiting a TASS the respect you get is next-level.
- Replacement parts are generally not that costly.
- If you can find a well-maintained example, nothing comes close.
- 1 Lakh is a lot of kilometres for any car but that’s not the case for a Toyota BoF if maintained well. My car has done almost 97,000 kms and still there is not a single rattle or squeak from any corner, it’s that S-O-L-I-D.
- 5AT mated with the 3L D-4D motor is a gem, almost no turbo lag at any RPM. Couple that with the Full-time 4WD and it’s almost unstoppable!
- Lots of aftermarket accessories and modifications are possible.
- Last row of seats can be removed as well and kept aside.
- This old generation Fortuner still has that butch look with the bonnet scoop, that nobody wants to mess with on the road! Add a lift-kit to improve the ride quality and people will simply move out of your way.

Cons:-
- The biggest one and what could possibly be the deal-breaker is the ride quality!! An aftermarket suspension can solve the problem to a large extent.
- Dashboard looks old and dated but if maintained properly the plastic quality is very good. Will not find any fade anywhere.
- Is not very feature rich but the sorted mechanical package takes care of that.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 7th June 2022 at 19:49.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 21:22   #24
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragonreborn View Post
I have switched out to 16'' rims and Yoko A/T tyres, as well as replaced the thinner-than-paper plastic bash plate with steel plated underbody protection for the TOD case, sedimenter and the engine bay. With these and a Thule roof rack, the car has been able to get through a fair bit of no-roads, slush and the like, while ferrying 5 adults, a toddler and a dog in decent comfort.

Strangely, at 6ft 1in, with a fair bit of the middle-age spread, I still find the car comfortable for 10 hour drives at a stretch.
No Thule case for me as need Carrier for Luggage / Car Tent. Yes agree on all other points w.r.t Hexa and it is near the top in my consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun_S View Post
Did you check the Mahindra Getaway, it has been discontinued
It was based on the earlier generation before 2 facelifts and associated changes hence not considering it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post

My suggestion from existing vehicles
New : Gurkha or Tata Yodha
Used : Fortuner or Scorpio or Scorpio Getaway
Upcoming : New Scorpio
The Yodha has 85 BHP and is ultra utilitarian (read more than even Gurkha). That puts me off.
Scorpio Gateway also not for earlier mentioned reasons.
Agree on the other options. But moving away from current gen Scorpio as Hexa AWD is a better vehicle and available at reasonable prices. 4X4 is not critical if AWD is available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOMAN View Post
If you try hard and maybe upgrade your budget say by 2-3 lakhs you can get a good 3.2 say 80k on the odometer.
Way better ride than the fortuner and features also. you can get 2016 models for 18-20l easily.
Agree on it being an option. But only if within 16L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtyagi View Post
There is almost nothing that beats a 3.0 L Fortuner 4x4 given the criteria.
Yes agree it is probably most robust but really poor on under thigh support and emotional connect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

Not a 4WD/AWD but it is rear wheel drive BOF and comes with a mechanical MLD on the rear.
Nah, Maybe the TUV300 Plus, but most probably not. Have better options I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairanupg View Post
This is Spot on. Have been driving on the exact same stretch and i dnt really think you require a true blue 4 by 4 to fulfill your requirements. The Gurkha is a good bet too, but its a little overpriced is what my humble submission is.
Yep Gurkha is being considered. Bolero not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
I'd say Fortuner because it's reliable and easy to maintain, plus the D-4D goes like anything.
Sure it has it's pitfalls like bumpy ride, average middle row comfort and no exclusivity but will serve your requirements effortlessly. Bumpy suspension can be tackled with ARC/ARB upgrades and it's not like the catto or pupper will say that they aren't getting sufficient thigh support.

4x4 AT was made available at the start of 2015. 5 may seem like too few ratios but trust me, it works.
Yep if Fortuner than 4X4 AT 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorUniverse View Post
A preowned Mitsubishi Pajero Sport AT.

4x4- check
AT- check
seven seats- check
can take abuse- check

Feel Mitsubishi would be hard to get serviced and expensive to Maintain. Plus, it didn't have a 4X4 AT combo in Pajero Sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Damodaran View Post
While I have voted for the Fortuner, I would ask you to take a look at the Pajero Sport as well. It really clicks all your boxes but does have a pretty bad Low End Torque.
Mentioned why not the Pajero Sport earlier response above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Damodaran View Post
The Pajero Sport AT never came with 4x4. It uses a Porsche derived INVEX2 gear box with additional paddle shifters. The torque was also detuned to 350NM vs 400NM for the manual, although it does come in at lower revs.
Yep true, hence Pajero Sport is out of the count, plus expensive spares and limited maintenance providers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
ScorpioN may be the best way to go, given you will get a brand new design and vehicle with a lot of features I have a 2020 Thar, among the first to be delivered here in Chennai and have had zero issues with it.
The Thar is just too impractical on the inside for me, plus price and availablity are not favourable. ScorpioN, is indeed keenly watched for pricing, and delivery timelines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Keep in mind that the Hexa Manual AWD really struggles on steep slippery climbs both due to its short first gear and long wheelbase gets caught at times.

Although, in terms of ride-quality nothing comes close.

Have voted for the Fortuner 4X4 AT for a few simple reasons:-

- Replacement parts are generally not that costly.
Cons:-
- The biggest one and what could possibly be the deal-breaker is the ride quality!! An aftermarket suspension can solve the problem to a large extent.
- Dashboard looks old and dated but if maintained properly the plastic quality is very good. Will not find any fade anywhere.
- Is not very feature rich but the sorted mechanical package takes care of that.
Fortuner Dash and Features are fine by me. But Suspension being sufficiently sorted out by enhancements is not something I have come to agree with yet.
I found parts like just the Sideview mirror to be very expensive. I agree the routine maintenance parts are not expensive, but bodywork parts are expensive.

With the Hexa I can keep money aside for maintenance on account of the purchase price being lower, mileage being lower as well with the vehicles being less than 5 years old, maybe just 4 and half the age of any Fortuner that I can consider. I was not sufficiently convinced by the issues mentioned in the maintenance threads not being regular service items for the kms.

The Videos show the Hexa performing reasonably while the V-Cross was the only one that excelled. The Compass sadly does not perform well, need to study if that kind of performance is needed though.

Last edited by ACM : 8th June 2022 at 21:26.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 08:51   #25
BHPian

Quote:
The Yodha has 85 BHP and is ultra utilitarian (read more than even Gurkha). That puts me off.
Scorpio Gateway also not for earlier mentioned reasons.
Agree on the other options. But moving away from current gen Scorpio as Hexa AWD is a better vehicle and available at reasonable prices. 4X4 is not critical if AWD is available.

Agree on the Yodha, to be honest I put it for the heck of it as an option - as it has immense customization possibility.

Hexa AWD is definitely better than the Scorpio (Current Gen) but can't say the same about reliability. While the Hexa will offer the best ride, once out of warranty (likely for all Hexas available in the market) it becomes a huge risk. Once niggles and issues start, they don't stop and the Service support is not the same in all cities, lot of variation and ignorance depending upon where you at.

I am aware you had the Aria, I had the Aria AWD Pride and every trip became memorable thanks to the problems we faced, listing down a few

- Power window motors changed 6 times (once each for every door and twice for front doors)
- Music system stopped working, Service Center had no clue and asked to change the unit
- AC compressor (Achilles Heel in all Arias, Hexas & Storme) went kaput 3 times
- Finally a fresh out of service at 90k kms Car died on us inside a remote forest in Satara, had to get us towed back to Pune. After that it lay still for a year with no error code nothing and with 2 Service centers giving up without success.
Finally, my friend who owns a workshop and had a total loss Hexa, we tinkered around switching literally all major components from the Hexa to identify the issue and got the root cause to be a broken valve inside the EGR.

The EGR itself is a Made in Spain item and retails for around 45K plus taxes, I got it sourced through another friend and another vehicle at around 30k. With the replaced part car started and behaved as if nothing had ever gone wrong.

The ride quality, comfort, safety and space makes you fall in love with this car - but what about confidence. We went down to zero, one of the prime reasons why we chose the Gurkha with absolute Nil electronics, not even power windows. And one of the prime reasons on why the resale price is abysmal.

With the kind of usage you have planned this for, you need more peace of mind and reliability rather than wondering what to do in case of a breakdown.

And this is where the Fortuner and the Scorpio really shine, they might not have the best ride quality but they deliver and consistently too.

P.s. I came across a VCross (top-end manual) on the 4x4 India Page, asking price is within what you are looking at. Might want to check it out.

Cheers,
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 23:35   #26
BHPian

Quote:

Critical Requirements:
  1. Max 16L - Lower the better as it all gets added to the project cost.
  2. Ground Clearance.
  3. 4X4 or AWD?
  4. 4 Seats minimum, 5 Ideal.
  5. Roof Rack
  6. Good Load Carrying capacity. Capability of adding Roof-Mounted Tent etc.
  7. Diesel - For fuel efficiency and associated Load pulling torque.
  8. Reliability
  9. Carry my Dog and Cat (In a cat carrier) along.

Good to have Requirements:
  1. AT - Ruggedness is fine but comfort too is important.
  2. Safety, Stability of vehicle, Reasonable speed to save time
  3. 7 Seats with last row fully foldable to add luggage space.
Suggestion - Mitsubishi Pajero Sport MT (2015-2017 Model)
16 lakh budget | 4x4 + Ground Clearance | New or Pre-owned?-tb02.jpg
16 lakh budget | 4x4 + Ground Clearance | New or Pre-owned?-tb01.jpg

We own Pajero Sport (PS) MT Dual Tone 2015 Model.

+ Price
- Due to high depreciation, You'll easily find a well-maintained PS of 2015-16 Model under 10 Lakhs. So, you'll easily save 6-7 Lakhs.
- Like this one - Link : https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...k=34&isP=false

+ Ground Clearance
- 215 mm (5mm less than Fortuner)
- In 7 years of ownership never faced any problem.
- If you want more, then you just have to change footsteps, as Pajero's departure and approach angle are already very good, better than Fortuner's.
16 lakh budget | 4x4 + Ground Clearance | New or Pre-owned?-p1000119.jpg

+ 4x4
- PS is one of the most capable offroaders in the country. You can see Anshuman Bishnoi's YT channel for videos on that.
16 lakh budget | 4x4 + Ground Clearance | New or Pre-owned?-p1000137.jpg

+ Seats
- 7 Seats
- But, not as roomy as Fortuner.

+ Roof Rack
- PS has roof rails for Roof Rack.

+ Carrying Capacity
- 3100kg braked and 750kg unbraked towing capacity.
- Should not be a problem at all.

+ Fuel Efficiency
- Highway (4x2) - 12.5 to 13.5 Kmpl
- City (4x2) - 9-10 Kmpl
- Highway (4x4 or AWD) - 8-9 Kmpl
- City (4x4 or AWD) - 6-7 Kmpl
- I think PS has one of the best fuel efficiency in its class due to its smaller size engine 2.5L Diesel.

+ Reliability
- My Experience - I have faced only 1 issue in the last 7 years of Ownership and after driving it for 1,15,000 Kms. The pipe connecting the turbo suddenly had a tear, after which I had to take it to the workshop to get the pipe replaced.
- Regular Service Cost - 13-15K
- Beware of Major Service - 1 Lakh Km service cost me 1 Lakh Rupees. :/
- As for Service Centres, you know Mitsubishi's condition. :/
- But, workers at service centers know everything about the car, as the majority of the cars at the workshop are now PS only. Lol
- Parts - You should not worry about it much, as Mitsubishi is very successful in Bangladesh and Nepal, so if parts are coming to these countries then it is easy for us to get them in India. Till today, I have never faced any issue regarding parts.

+ Carrying Dog and Cats
- PS has enough space for your furry friends.

+ Automatic
- PS does come with AT, but it doesn't have 4x4. SO, if you want 4x4, then you have only one option - MT.

+ Safety and Stability
- 4.2 in Asian NCAP
- 5 in Australian NCAP
- 2 Airbags in front.
- Disk Brakes in all 4.
- Car is very well-grounded till 110 and 120, after that you will start losing confidence.

+ Foldable 7 Seats
- PS has the best foldable seats. I have attached images for that. It is far better than Fortuner's side folding rear seats.
16 lakh budget | 4x4 + Ground Clearance | New or Pre-owned?-p1000124.jpg

+ Some Cons
- Very Hard Clutch, Gear and Steering. In high traffic, you are going to have a good workout.
- Weird Gear Ratios of 2nd and 3rd Gear, as if a gear is missing between them. You'll get tired of shifting back and forth in city traffic.

+ Some Pros
- Comes with Hydraulic Jack, not the normal one.
- Top Model comes with MapMyIndia Sat Nav, Two TVs, and a Tropicool Cooler.
- Has a Compass, Elevation Monitor, Atmospheric Pressure Gauge, Etc.
- Even after 7 years, it is still a head-turner because of Dual Tone color.
- It gives a sense of Uniqueness, if that counts for you.
16 lakh budget | 4x4 + Ground Clearance | New or Pre-owned?-tb03.jpg

Everything is stock on this car. I have not yet done a single 3rd party modification.

In 2015, I was confused between Pajero Sport and Fortuner. It was a Thread on Pajero Sport and Fortuner comparison on TeamBHP that made me go for Pajero Sport.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

(To admin - This is my first time posting a link and photos, so if I make any mistake please forgive me.)
DarkerThanBlack is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 16:55   #27
BHPian

Quote:
No Thule case for me as need Carrier for Luggage / Car Tent. Yes agree on all other points w.r.t Hexa and it is near the top in my consideration.
No no! No Thule case. It is a carrier, even though Thule calls it a "luggage basket"

A typical weekend out in the road-less lands of the Konkan look like the pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails
16 lakh budget | 4x4 + Ground Clearance | New or Pre-owned?-hexa.jpeg  

16 lakh budget | 4x4 + Ground Clearance | New or Pre-owned?-hexa-2.jpeg  

thedragonreborn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 12:40   #28
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Overtime I note that it is the:

Fortuner and Isuzu V-Cross 1 & 2 respectively. Followed by Hexa and Gurkha.

Also if I factor for slight contribution of buyer bias as would be present with buyers of a more popular car vs that of a less popular car, All are more or less equal for me. Will update as I gain more clarity.
Old 13th June 2022, 12:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

https://www.mahindraboleropickup.com.../overview.aspx

May be you should have a look at this, it's falls within your budget would be tough as nails in your proscribed terrain...creature comforts may be so-so but it will serve you well on the farm, I guess...Have voted others, all the preowned ones may have problems and stay away from Mitsubishi

Last edited by Durango Dude : 13th June 2022 at 12:57.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 12:10   #30
BHPian

How about a Tata Xenon XT 4X4? It will fit almost all the requirements and you will still be able to save some money on the purchase.
It's a very capable car and overload friendly.
Even a Scorpio Getaway could become a contender in my opinion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks