Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2022, 17:44   #1
BHPian

Upgrading to an SUV from a sedan | Increase budget or compromise? EDIT: Getting an XUV700 AX7 L AWD

Prelude

I'm currently driving a 2015 Volkswagen Vento and it has served me well over the years. I have taken it to places where you normally won't take a sedan, and it did amaze me during every one of those trips. At the same time, I had an itch to upgrade to something bigger and I held on to that itch for more than a year. Finally, I think it is time to upgrade and hope that I can get back to long road trips once again, which were on hold since lockdown days - partially due to Corona and partially due to the arrival of the little one to the family. I was a bachelor going on joyrides when I bought the Vento, but the family has grown since then. Now we are a family of 3 (the little one is 2 years old), and also, occasionally I am in situations where I have to accommodate parents, in-laws, or siblings. Vento simply cannot accommodate 5, especially since the little one is using a relatively big baby car seat (OT: I recommend Graco 4Ever DLX 4 in 1 if anybody is looking to buy one). I want to buy an SUV/Crossover this time, considering various parameters. Vento was an excellent handler and it put a smile on my face whenever I pushed it hard. While I can't expect an SUV to handle the same way, I would like to pick the best one possible.

Priorities
  • Safety: Our highways are getting chaotic day by day and having active and passive safety features brings some peace of mind.
  • Performance & Handling: I enjoy driving and while I can enjoy any car, a powerful engine & tight handling capabilities would make it even more fun.
  • Automatic: I still enjoy manual transmission and believe it gives even more control on winding roads, but my left leg is not so happy these days. I intend to keep this purchase for long, and hence automatic is the way to go.
  • Comfortable seating for 5: As I mentioned earlier, I need to accommodate at least 5 people in comfort occasionally.
  • Solid & lasting build quality: I intend to keep this purchase for at least 10 years, and hope that it ages gracefully during that period. While new-gen cars are full of electronics and software niggles are a given, I expect the car to be mechanically solid and reliable.
  • Features: Not a top priority, but wouldn't want to downgrade from the comfort features I'm currently used to such as automatic climate control, cruise control, etc. Any other features to stay updated on the current car scene are welcome.
  • Headlights: This is one other thing I'm very particular about. I had to upgrade the lights in my Vento and despite spending good money, I was not happy with it. Good factory-fitted headlights would save the trouble.

The hunt so far

I started my search with a budget of 20-23 Lakhs and almost finalized on Kia Seltos more than a year ago. I had gone over the forum and youtube videos multiple times and decided this is the best choice available. That is when GNCAP crash testing results were released for Seltos. All the confidence I had was washed away, and I was not so convinced anymore.

That is when I heard about Kushaq. I was eagerly following the build-up to the car launch and all was good until I saw the car. There were 2 major causes for the disappointment. First of all, it didn't really feel like an upgrade from Vento. And secondly, the space available in the second row was best suited for 2. That meant that if you are using a baby car seat, the second person itself would feel the lack of space. I checked out the Taigun as well, but the same story repeated, although it was obvious.

I wasn't following XUV700 until its release, to be honest. One fine day in August last year, I came across some youtube review videos, and it got my attention immediately. I casually made some inquiries on their website and the SA got in touch with me. Long story short, I've got a booking of XUV700 AX7L AWD Diesel AT, which is slated to arrive in July or August, although I wasn't looking to book one initially. It was just a placeholder booking considering the waiting list and I didn't want waiting period to be a parameter during the final shortlisting. The downside? This would cost me close to 30 Lakhs on road, despite having price protection. Taxes in Kerala are way too high.

The dilemma

I'm starting to realize that my original budget of 23 Lakhs may not get me what I want in the current market. Unfortunately, it is a seller's market now and is expected to continue the same way for a couple more years. Inflation doesn't seem to ease out in near future either, driving up the cost of cars further. 30 Lakhs still seem like a lot of money.

Are there any cars that match my requirements? Apart from the one I already mentioned above I have considered Harrier, Safari and Compass. Harrier/Safari's driving dynamics didn't appeal to me during my short drives in the car and I felt the steering is counter-intuitive. Don't get me wrong, I like tight steerings, but the Safari that I drove had steering which became lighter as the speed increased. Is it a one-off case or a standard trait of the Harrier-safari duo? Compass felt way too overpriced for what is essentially a compact SUV.

Did I miss anything on the lower budget levels? I obviously liked the XUV700, so should I go ahead with it if and when one gets allocated to me? Or should I try something else?

Thank you for reading. Please share your thoughts & thanks in advance.
The Alchemist is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 18:25   #2
BHPian

re: Upgrading to an SUV from a sedan | Increase budget or compromise? EDIT: Getting an XUV700 AX7 L AWD

Looking into your priorities, the complaints on the seating at the rear bench along with that big baby car seat, You should be looking at XL6 or Kia Carens. No Pseudo SUV in our market can seat three comfortably in the rear bench. The other option is to get a smaller baby seat and look into a sedan like CITY which is benchmark in rear seat comfort, left side of 20 Lakhs.

Last edited by saisree : 17th June 2022 at 18:28.
saisree is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 18:48   #3
BHPian

re: Upgrading to an SUV from a sedan | Increase budget or compromise? EDIT: Getting an XUV700 AX7 L AWD

I was in the same boat till a few months back. I drive a Polo - and just like in your case - the car has taken me places where you would not expect a Polo to go. I was looking for an upgrade as well and tried out some "High seating cars" where my shortlist included the Seltos, Compass, Taigun & Nexon. The one that struck the chord as close as the Polo did was the Compass. Even the base model is quite capable and feels like an upgrade.

I ditched the plan to buy though considering current rates and plan to hold on to the Polo for a couple more years. But if I could have bought a car now, it probably would be the Compass. I know I would've enjoyed the car - despite the rattles that many owners have mentioned.
MegaWhat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 18:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
Safety: Our highways are getting chaotic day by day and having active and passive safety features brings some peace of mind.
None of the CSUVs will be able to comfortably seat 2 adults and a car seat at the rear. It would be more or less the same as Vento. If this is a high priority you might have to look at big-size vehicles like Innova, XUV 700, Hector etc.

On a budget, City has a good space at the rear, but after being used to Vento (especially turbo petrol/diesel) you might not find it fun to drive.

In my view, you have made the right choice with XUV 700, as it is the closest to come based on both your requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaWhat View Post
But if I could have bought a car now, it probably would be the Compass. I know I would've enjoyed the car - despite the rattles that many owners have mentioned.
Compass has even lesser space than Vento at the rear

@ Mods: Sorry, by mistake created 2 posts. Please delete or merge this with previous post. Thanks

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th June 2022 at 22:43. Reason: back to back posts merged
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 19:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Compass has even lesser space than Vento at the rear
True that. I did drive my family around in the Polo and intended to do so with the Compass as well. Although I agree it is uncomfortable for 5, I would focus on the word "Occasionally" that the OP mentioned.

Almost 95% of the time it was just 2-3 people in the car in my case. I wouldn't like to compromise 95% of the time for a benefit 5% of the time. But again, it was not a deal breaking priority for me, maybe it is for the OP. My approach was that if no high seating car had enough space for 5, then it doesn't matter which one I buy - none of them will pass that test. So might as well pick a car that meets the other set of criteria that I had laid out.
MegaWhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 19:15   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Car prices have increased tremendously since you bought you Vento. For any meaningful upgrade, you will have to spend close to 30L. Cars like City and Carens and XL6 will feel like a downgrade to a person used to Vento. If you are finding the Compass cramped and are not impressed by the driving dynamics of the Safari, then by elimination you are only left with the XUV700. The direct upgrade from your Vento is the new Octavia, but that will be 30+.

Two possible alternatives. The new Scorpio-N. Bookings open on the 27th, but expect another long wait. And the usual niggles that come with a brand new Mahindra. Else, wait for the upcoming new Hyundai Tucson. Always better to go for a genuine international model, they are sorted in a way no desi car ever is.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 17th June 2022 at 19:21.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 21:12   #7
BHPian

You may want to look at Hyundai Alcazar Signature Diesel AT , assuming your usage pattern of occasional 7 sitting only . Not sure if this is a proper upgrade over Vento , but it is in your budget with OTR 23.5 lacs . Waiting period is also lower compared , you may end up getting earlier than XUV700 .
baarish84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 21:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for reading. Please share your thoughts & thanks in advance.
If you are ok with evaluating not so popular vehicles, then the Marazzo and Bolero Neo could also serve your purpose. However, neither of them has an automatic variant.
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 09:31   #9

Quote:
Prelude

I was a bachelor going on joyrides when I bought the Vento, but the family has grown since then. Now we are a family of 3 (the little one is 2 years old), and also, occasionally I am in situations where I have to accommodate parents, in-laws, or siblings. Vento simply cannot accommodate 5, especially since the little one is using a relatively big baby car seat (OT: I recommend Graco 4Ever DLX 4 in 1 if anybody is looking to buy one). I want to buy an SUV/Crossover this time, considering various parameters. Vento was an excellent handler and it put a smile on my face whenever I pushed it hard. While I can't expect an SUV to handle the same way, I would like to pick the best one possible.
My suggestion is please do not buy car based on the baby seat. I have 2 kids aged 6yrs and 2.5yrs. My younger one sits in the backseat buckled from last 1 month (it took 3 months of training) If you intend to own your next car for 10 years then my recommendation would be to continue using your current for 1 more year. Max by the age of 3 your child will insist on their own space. Keep some toys in the backseat, it will help.

Hope this helps.
WindmillsFly is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 18:42   #10
BHPian

Thank you all for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
You should be looking at XL6 or Kia Carens. The other option is to get a smaller baby seat and look into a sedan like CITY which is benchmark in rear seat comfort, left side of 20 Lakhs.
XL6 and Carens don't appeal to me for multiple reasons. From whatever information I could collect, I don't expect them to be safe or fun. The City doesn't feel like an upgrade over Vento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaWhat View Post
I was in the same boat till a few months back. I drive a Polo - and just like in your case - the car has taken me places where you would not expect a Polo to go. But if I could have bought a car now, it probably would be the Compass.
Polo is a keeper if you can afford to keep it even after an upgrade. I felt that the Compass Petrol is slightly sluggish compared to Vento, and the Diesel AT is very overpriced for what it offers. Small cabin and slow AT don't help the case either. Diesel AT starts at ~35 lakhs on road. I love the looks and hence it is still on the shortlist, should I decide to increase the budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
If this is a high priority you might have to look at big-size vehicles like Innova, XUV 700, Hector etc. In my view, you have made the right choice with XUV 700, as it is the closest to come based on both your requirements
Exactly my thoughts as of now. I will add Innova to the consideration list, but not sure how fun it would be. Hector petrol is slow and they don't have a Diesel automatic version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Cars like City and Carens and XL6 will feel like a downgrade to a person used to Vento. If you are finding the Compass cramped and are not impressed by the driving dynamics of the Safari, then by elimination you are only left with the XUV700. The direct upgrade from your Vento is the new Octavia, but that will be 30+.
Agree. If I was looking for a Sedan, Octavia would have been an ideal choice. But I want a crossover with good ground clearance this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Two possible alternatives. The new Scorpio-N. Else, wait for the upcoming new Hyundai Tucson.
Scorpio-N wouldn't be ideal as it is a body-on-frame car. We don't know when the new Tucson would arrive and what the price point would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baarish84 View Post
You may want to look at Hyundai Alcazar Signature Diesel AT
I never liked Alcazar and not sure what its upside is. Even if we ignore that, I don't think it is a safe car. Hyundai's made-for-India cars tend to be unsafe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
the Marazzo and Bolero Neo could also serve your purpose. However, neither of them has an automatic variant.
Automatic is mandatory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindmillsFly View Post
My suggestion is please do not buy car based on the baby seat. I have 2 kids aged 6yrs and 2.5yrs. My younger one sits in the backseat buckled from last 1 month (it took 3 months of training) If you intend to own your next car for 10 years then my recommendation would be to continue using your current for 1 more year. Max by the age of 3 your child will insist on their own space. Keep some toys in the backseat, it will help.
I'm sorry, but this is not safe on any roads. A 2 or 3 year old kid doesn't have the height or weight for the normal operation of seat belts. Whether a kid insists or not, it is our responsibility to teach safe practices as parents. My humble request would be to transfer your kid to the baby seat again. Once he/she reaches the required weight, use booster seats so that height requirements can be met. There are threads on team-bhp on why baby car seat is required and how they can help protect your precious ones.

Coming back to the topic: Adding everyone's input along with my own considerations, below is my current shortlist:

1. XUV700
2. Harrier
3. Safari
4. Innova
5. Compass

The search continues!
The Alchemist is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 18:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

If you are hitting the 30 lakh region anyways, how about the KIA Carnival?

It offers almost everything that you listed - powerful diesel engine + loads of space + flexi- comfort + safety etc. Its a good family car and size-wise, a proper upgrade to the Vento. You can look at the 6-seater option or consider the super comfy 7-seater Limousine as well.

Your requirements and family construct remind me of my distant cousin, who also has a young family. He got the 6-seater Carnival recently.

If you are ok with the pre-owned route, there's the option of a pre-owned Tiguan/ Kodiaq or maybe a new-ish facelifted 2020/21 Tucson.
JoshMachine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 19:22   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Coming back to the topic: Adding everyone's input along with my own considerations, below is my current shortlist:

1. XUV700
2. Harrier
3. Safari
4. Innova
5. Compass
Out of your choices will pick the Innova any day!

With the XUV700, Mahindra still has a few niggles to sort out, especially that noisy front suspension.

Harrier would be my second choice after the Innova. It’s a damn solid car, but yes that steering definitely feels weird at high speeds.

Same with the Safari as well. And weird issues still pop out randomly in the Tata twins.

Compass is a solid car as well but 3 in the backseat will just not be comfortable!

The Innova may neither be as feature rich not as powerful as the other cars, but the car is fundamentally sorted, no rattling, no suspension noises, plenty of space and top-class in terms of comfort.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 19:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

The XUV700 is easily one of the most VFM cars out there in the market today. You get a lot of car for the money. True the waiting is long but if you are being promised a July or August delivery, my advice would be to wait it out and take delivery when the car is allotted to you. It really is the complete package for your needs.
  • Nice to drive
  • Feature loaded
  • Will seat your family in comfort
  • AT
  • And a 5 star safety rating

Hope this helps.
Dippy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 21:42   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Scorpio-N wouldn't be ideal as it is a body-on-frame car. We don't know when the new Tucson would arrive and what the price point would be.
I would suggest not to reject Scorpio N outright and at least take a test drive. Mahindra can surprise once again like it did with XUV 700. Based on the limited leaked information available so far on this forum, the ride quality seems to be quite sorted.

Given that:
- you have mentioned features aren't a big priority, and
- you have booked AWD variant of the XUV 700, even though it stretches your already stretched budget even further;
Scorpio N may be a much better fit for you - well within your budget, proper 4x4, all popular features present (won't feel like a downgrade at all).

By the way, the Innova on your shortlist is also a body-on-frame

Quote:
Adding everyone's input along with my own considerations, below is my current shortlist:

1. XUV700
2. Harrier
3. Safari
4. Innova
5. Compass
tarunjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 23:24   #15
BHPian

Thank you all for your input again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
If you are hitting the 30 lakh region anyways, how about the KIA Carnival?
If you are ok with the pre-owned route, there's the option of a pre-owned Tiguan/ Kodiaq or maybe a new-ish facelifted 2020/21 Tucson.
I never thought about Carnival before. After seeing your reply, I checked out the prices and it seems Carnival starts at 38 lakhs for the base variant. That is a stretch, considering I extended my budget from 23 to 30 already. Not considering the pre-owned route as I would like to keep this purchase for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Out of your choices will pick the Innova any day!
I added Innova based on a recommendation from another BHPian, but I doubt it would be fun in the way I want it to be. I'll take a test drive anyway. While comfort and space are parameters, fun-to-drive nature is equally important (heart yearns for a fun-to-drive one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
The XUV700 is easily one of the most VFM cars out there in the market today. You get a lot of car for the money. True the waiting is long but if you are being promised a July or August delivery, my advice would be to wait it out and take delivery when the car is allotted to you. It really is the complete package for your needs.
  • Nice to drive
  • Feature loaded
  • Will seat your family in comfort
  • AT
  • And a 5 star safety rating
Hope this helps.
I'm slightly leaning toward XUV700 for the same reasons you mentioned, especially the fun-to-drive and safety aspects. My booking is dated 8th Oct, with 7th Oct prices. The current CPD is mid of August. Hopefully, I will be able to reach a decision before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunjain View Post
I would suggest not to reject Scorpio N outright and at least take a test drive. Mahindra can surprise once again like it did with XUV 700.
By the way, the Innova on your shortlist is also a body-on-frame
Valid point! Will watch out for the June 27th launch event of Scorpio-N and hopefully the reviews will be out soon after. I expect long waiting times though, considering the popularity of the brand.

Thanks for highlighting the missed point on Innova. As stated earlier, it wasn't in my original consideration list and added it based on inputs from this forum. I had almost written it off previously based on my driving experiences of the older versions. Haven't driven the Chrysta yet, but I don't expect it to be vastly different.
The Alchemist is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed