Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2022, 18:25   #1

New Car Purchase Decisions

Good Day All,

Would sincerely appreciate advice as per below. The confusion just gets worse each time I research more and into more options. At times I prefer the old automobile scene where there was no choice.

Been looking to buy a new car as my sedan is too low for most roads in Goa, where I have recently relocated to. My main options are the Nexon, Brezza, Sonet. Also test drove the Kia Carens but found it too underpowered, 2 gear was not up to the task of going uphill at slow speeds, had to even down shift to 1st when going over a speed-breaker slowly. The sales person admitted to this aspect. Thus ruled out.

The XL6 though a lot more spacious than the Brezza, was marginally underpowered for highway driving but is still in the mix but not a favourite.

The Nexon drove the best, overtaking was good and could climb slopes satisfactorily. Only negative was the poor legroom in the back seat. Drove the XZ+ variant.

The Brezza though not best in any segment, mileage was the best overall, roomy feeling cause of head clearance as compared to the Nexon and WR-V.

I'm stuck on the engine power/torque cause I drive a 1.6 L Vento which is superb fun to drive and hugs the road when cornering uphill at even 60/70 kmph. However, I need to move to smaller car with more ground clearance.

Kindly advice between the Nexon XZ+ and the Brezza ZXi or wait for the Hyryder lower variants. Do not wish to spend more than 13L for now as I eventually want to shift to an EV in 4/5 years.

Thanks,
Ajay.

Last edited by Axe77 : 27th July 2022 at 10:31. Reason: Typos; paragraphing to improve readability.
Aj346 is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 26th July 2022, 19:19   #2
BHPian

re: New Car Purchase Decisions

The new Brezza is quite a good offering in that segment with decent features. Plus the reliability of Maruti is an added advantage.

Also, at that price point, you should check out the new-gen Hyundai Venue as well.
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 20:59   #3
BHPian

I'll not advise you Hyryder as it will be more heavier than Brezza, pick up will be even less than Brezza and instead of buying lower variants of Hyryder, It will be better to buy higher variants of Brezza or Nexon as you will get many more features in higher variants.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th July 2022 at 06:30. Reason: Edited for better readability
SanjayW is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 26th July 2022, 21:29   #4
BHPian

If you're moving from the Vento especially the 1.6, I'd strongly advise the Tata Nexon as it has the best driving dynamics among the lot and the most mature suspension setup to go over rough roads and ditches. This is not based on reading 500 reviews online, but my personal observation when test driving cars for my sisters purchase. The Tata Nexon was the first Tata Car I ever drove and was actually quite impressed. This is the first time I found the suspension setup of a Non European car very satisfactory especially for its price segment. Its definitely better than the Hyundais and Kias, and if not better definitely at par with the current gen VW's, though the suspension setups of the 2nd and 3rd gen VW's are nothing to boast about. You'd know what I mean if you've been driving the 1.6 and ever drove the current 1.5 version.

PS: Can't say strongly but why not at least consider the Kushaq and Taigun. I haven't driven them or even seen the Taigun in the flesh but I feel they're definitely worth a look.

Please, please don't get the Brezza dude!

Last edited by Aditya : 27th July 2022 at 06:31. Reason: Punctuation, typo
Racer911 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 23:19   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj346 View Post
Good Day All,
Would sincerely appreciate advice as per below. The confussion just gets worse each time I research more and into more options. At times I prefer the old automobile scene where there was no choice.
Been looking to buy a new car as my sedan is too low for most roads in Goa, where I have recently relocated to.
Why not S-Cross?

Reliable - check
Excellent ride quality - check
wide dealer network - check
availability of spares - check
decent ground clearance - check
under your specified budget - check

Its bigger than the options you are considering at almost the same price. It might not be fancy and completely up to date like newer generation cars but its still got the basics right and the engine drives like a charm. I strongly urge you to consider the S-cross over a Brezza or a Nexon.

Happy hunting.
Old 27th July 2022, 01:30   #6
BHPian

If your driving is mainly going to be in the city and "build quality" is not very high on your priority list, which I think you will immediately relate to when compared to your Vento, Sonet fits the bill quite well for you. Having said that, long waiting period could be a bummer!

On the other hand, Tata Nexon is an excellent package overall but it wouldn't hurt to check out the VW twins - Taigun and Kushaq. Who knows you might as well fall for one of them and stretch your budget. 4/5 years is still a reasonable period of time to enjoy your new car before you go for an EV.
Revvman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 05:30   #7
BANNED

Considering the fact that you are planning on selling your car and moving on to an EV in the next 5 years, I would like to propose the following:

1. Maruti Suzuki S-Cross
You get the Zeta manual under 12 lakhs on-road in Goa and as iterated earlier has excellent ride quality, wide dealership network, decent ground clearance and is a reliable car on the whole. Although looks are subjective, it does have a crossover stance. Moreover, it is going to be replaced by the Grand Vitara in the Suzuki lineup. However, if you don't mind these you can for it.

2. Mahindra XUV300
You have options of both petrol and diesel with the Mahindra XUV300 just like with the Tata Nexon and the Kia Sonet. Both engines are powerful and have enough torque on tap.
Boot space is the major concern here at just 257 litres, but the car is spacious and has the longest wheelbase among sub 4 metre SUVs.

3. Kia Sonet
The Kia Sonet gives you many engine and gearbox options to choose from, the car although has limited rear space excels in everything else and is an all-round performer.
Be ir class leading boot, High Ground clearance, fit and finish of the cabin and 4 airbags as standard. The HTX 1.0 IMT, the HTX 1.5 Diesel and even the HTX 1.0 DCT can all be considered and are priced in the ballpark of around 13 lakhs.

4. Hyundai Venue
Similar to the Kia Sonet in terms of engine and gearbox combinations, if the styling appeals to you, you may consider the Venue over the Sonet.

5. Tata Nexon
The Tata Nexon is one of the favourites in the segment and has both petrol and diesel engine options. It has all necessary features, 5-star safety, enough space in the cabin, excellent Ground clearance, what more could you ask for.

If you want a bigger car for less money, the S-Cross would be my pick, if you want an automatic, the Sonet is the winner here. If you want space and comfort, 5-star safety the Nexon would be the better choice followed by the XUV300.

The Hyryder/Grand Vitara's pricing is yet to be revealed. so, can't comment but considering its heavier than the Brezza with the same engine, power to weight ratio would be less.
Old 27th July 2022, 06:37   #8
BHPian

Hybrids and EVs are the future. If you are not in an emergency situation, I would say you should wait for one or two years for the Hybrid scene to open up a bit more.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 27th July 2022 at 06:38.
ajayc123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 10:07   #9
BHPian

Stay away from the Brezza if you like a responsive engine.
If you are looking at EV's why not the Nexon EV right away? You can also look at the Magnite with the turbo though the interior might not be as spacious in the back.
Abhisheknott is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 10:47   #10

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback. I like the S-Cross better than the cars I mentioned in my post for all the reasons you mentioned. It drives really well and the engine power is good for a thrilling drive. However, was informed that the car would be discontinued as the new Vitara would be taking its place. Hence not sure if it would be a wise choice.

Tried the new Vento and also the Taigun. The Vento as compared to my older model was inferior in build quality and feel sad. Have lined up a test drive of the Taigun and I hope it has the German standards.

Last edited by vb-saan : 27th July 2022 at 11:52. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another.
Old 27th July 2022, 10:59   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj346 View Post
Hey,

Thanks for the feedback. I like the S-Cross better than the cars i mentioned in my post for all the reasons you mentioned. It drives really well and the engine power is good for a thrilling drive. However, was informed that the car would be discontinued as the new Vitara would be taking its place. Hence not sure if it would be a wise choice.

Ajay.
If that is the case, the Hyryder/Grand Vitara could be potential options, but they would most likely come at a hefty premium over the S-Cross, unless Maruti/Toyota has a surprise in store for all of us.
Old 27th July 2022, 11:00   #12

There is not even a 'coma' or 'full stop' in your reply that I disagree with. My older Vento is a dream car for the price I bought it at. The newer generation India-built one is well below the VW standard sadly. I agree about your Nexon remarks, among its direct competition it does drive the best and with the best safety rating. Even my wife and kids say to not worry too much about the rear legroom as it will be the kids sitting there 99.9% of the time and in 4/5 years I plan to keep the car, it won't matter much as they are only 10 now.

Thanks for taking the time to put down a detailed reply. Nexon does seem to be edging out the competition with every reply I read on here and as per the test drives. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by vb-saan : 27th July 2022 at 11:50. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another.
Old 27th July 2022, 20:06   #13
BHPian

IMHO the XUV 300 petrol which is priced 10 Lakhs on road or lesser in few states in it's base trim is the best choice, as the same is a delight to drive both in its petrol and diesel avatars and justifies your need for performance and ground clearance.

Last edited by Gypsian : 27th July 2022 at 20:08.
Gypsian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 17:20   #14
BHPian

I would suggest checking the MG hector Diesel and Tata Harrier , if fuel type is not a concern.
You could also try out the MG Astor, though I would not be able to comment much on it's petrol engine.

Nexon should be an ideal choice. And I would suggest choosing the ICE variant over EV, as I am not quite sure how well is the battery pack designed to withstand saline moisture in Goa.

Xuv300, Xuv700 5 seater variants could also be considered on your list.

Considering your priorities are for a good ground clearance, would not suggest sedans in such condition.

Also I would recommend you to check C3 from Citroen if you are looking for something European at best with a balance of good ride quality and confort.
Gautham_v6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 18:27   #15
BHPian

If the boot space is not a worry then XUV300. Second choice is Nexon.
If neither suits you then Hyundai Venue is decent option.
Big no for Brezza.

Since you’re going to sell the car in few years I would say go with Hyundai venue because it will have good resale value.

Last edited by rishi.roger : 28th July 2022 at 18:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks