Kia Carens 9 1.39%
Toyota Innova Crysta 111 17.13%
Mahindra XUV700 253 39.04%
Others (please specify in your post) 6 0.93%
Voters: 648. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2022, 10:32   #16
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N vs Tata Safari vs Hyundai Alcazar vs Mahindra XUV700 vs Others

XUV 700 it is.

'Segment killer' comes to mind when I think of XUV 700. The 2.0 M-Stallion is a jewel of a motor and I was impressed by the car like maneuverability of the XUV 700.

Innova is agricultural in comparison and the overpricing doesn't help. It is a safe bet because of the Toyota badge, but I wouldn't call it exciting to drive by any means.

Carens 1.4 DCT is surely fun to drive, but it's a tough sell for me a against XUV 700. DCT is a concern and as an enthusiast, the 200bhp motor from Mahindra would be my pick over the Carens. Also XUV 700 is super spacious and comfortable for occupants.
SoupRaw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 10:47   #17

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N vs Tata Safari vs Hyundai Alcazar vs Mahindra XUV700 vs Others

My first post on Team-BHP

Quite contrary to market sentiments I personally dislike SUVs. They are big, bulky and not so corner friendly.
That being said SUVs have their own charm and that is going places where most don't dare. Keeping that as the main criteria, I would go with the Scorpio-N. It has 4WD, very capable Body on Frame structure, impressive dynamics and a lot of equipment. This is a real SUV in that regard unlike most of its competition.

Props to Mahindra for dishing out seriously impressive back to back launches . The only thing remaining is to ramp up their production and improve their customer service.
RaceCyborg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 11:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Not a fan of any of these cars, but if I have to select one would definitely be XUV 700 - better performance, handling etc.
Old 3rd August 2022, 11:58   #19
BHPian

Voted XUV, its loaded, comes with a good engine and has terrific presence. The front end is too polarizing for me personally and it may be an acquired taste. However it beats the competition in most parameters.
Old 3rd August 2022, 11:58   #20
BHPian

My actual vote is for Innova crysta. I voted for XUV700 by mistake.

Why I chose innova over the rest is that the big T gets the basics right and does not struggle even in remote places such as Ladakh. It's very comfy and super reliable and I've seen most of my friends driving it like there's no tomorrow and yet make a killing while selling it.

XUV 700: I drove this car for a longish test drive and it's a big evolution over the Xuv500 but I felt that the gizmos are way too complex for mahindra file to handle it+ niggles in any first version product of Mahindra. Half the interior is a mix of Ford(ADAS tech, steering+switch, front design, window switches) and Benz(power seat controls, Floating speedo + infotainment console and it's controller) and somehow I felt that the finesse was lacking. Engine wise, it's too good and the power modes do make a difference! The 2nd iteration is the best one if someone is going for M&M cars. Speaking from XUV500 experience.

ScorpioN: Better than the OG scorpio but still short on space. Better interior quality than the XUV

Kia Carens:/Hyundai Alcazar A big no as the car isn't structurally sound and overpriced at least in Bangalore.

Tata Harrier/Safari: Good ride quality and peppy engines but reliability takes a hit and the car ages really fast!

MG Hector: I felt it wasn't to my liking and Tata has done a better job in tuning the Fiat engine. Plus I don't want a moving tablet.

If it's out of this list, I'd pick a used 4x4 Endeavor or a Fortuner 4x4 MT from the 2017 end-2019 batch

Last edited by jithin23 : 3rd August 2022 at 12:00. Reason: Added content
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 11:58   #21

XUV 700 for me.

Have an Innova Crysta in my family. The dancing gear lever and the rough engine note are not to my liking and offer a very crude experience as an overall package. The ride quality for the last row is fine but being a Ladder platform, the last row is always bouncy.

XUV 700 on the other hand, from what I have read is a very refined package with decent ride quality and a gem of an engine. The 5-star safety rating is just icing on the cake.
salmanz1992 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 12:02   #22
BHPian

I'm not allowed to vote, but I'd go with the Tata Safari. I own the Harrier, & the driving dynamics are just too good. For me, driving pleasure with good music is key. So I assume the Safari will behave as well as the Harrier.

The next option would be either of the Mahindras (most probably the Scorpio-N over the XUV700). Before the Harrier, I owned the XUV500, and it used to oversteer at high speeds. The XUV700 feels more like an upgrade of XUV500.

Sincerely no offence to people who own Hyundai, Kia & MG, but the Koreans don't fit into this segment. & the MG is feels odd with its dimensions.
sanjayrozario is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 12:02   #23
BHPian

I think it all boils down to personal preference. I would go with Scorpio-N any day. Used my old Scorpio for 15 years, covered 2L kms (have driven from Delhi to Trivandrum and all across the north). Never stranded me on the road. Have even done basic offroading without ever getting stuck somewhere.

Personally, I've disliked Tata cars (Their trucks are great but not cars). I've driven Safari (of a friend), Indica (quite a bit), and sat on a lot of Tata sedans. They still have to learn how to come up with refined cars in spite of having Jaguar and Land Rover with them. Their cars grow old quickly and things start rattling all over. I've had friends who bought safari after my Scorpio and theirs lived their life in 10 years flat. Mine was still going strong when I sold it last month after 15 years.

Innova is a great car if you have a driver. It is not at all an exciting car to drive. I have driven Innova from Delhi to Leh (that too the karcham - kaza -spiti route). Had to deboard the passengers every time we encountered streams, which were in plenty along the route. Then Innova is not made for these kinds of trips. It is great when you have a driver and you are nicely relaxing in the bucket seat behind.

XUV700 is a great vehicle but the driving feel is of a car, not an SUV.

I love to drive. I want an exciting vehicle. I want presence. I want dependability and durability. Therefore I want Scorpio-N!
chipsnchops is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 12:27   #24
BHPian

Manual, diesel, rear-wheel driven with proper four wheel drive, right side of 25 Lakhs. Scorpio-N easy choice for me.
Old 3rd August 2022, 12:31   #25
BHPian

Having bought an Innova Crysta 8 months ago and now in the market for another similar sized car, this is my opinion

1. Innova Crysta - Extremely suited to it's user profile. Comfortable, powerful and no frills mile muncher.
Does not offer most features that should come at price point of 25L

2. Alcazar and Carens are practically the same car, if one is looking at the diesel variants which cost around 20-22L, they did not seem VFM to me

3. Scorpio N and XUV 700 are brilliantly specced cars and are available at an amazing price point too. Laden with features and an excellent engine and drivetrain combination

4. Hector looks overpriced when compared in this segment. To me, it looks like a mish mash of all good to have features, but I am not a fan of MG as a whole.

5. Safari and Harrier twins are also very well put together, but the idea of spending over 20L on a TATA product and then dealing with niggles is off putting to be honest.

My vote goes to XUV700 in Diesel/Petrol avatar depending on the running. Of course this vote is dependent on already having an Innova in the garage.
Old 3rd August 2022, 12:42   #26
MMV
BHPian

I had a TD of both Scorpio N and XUV 700. The trigger was the looks and aura of Scorpio N but once in showroom (along with wife), XUV700 tempted us a lot.

The short review (from a family user perspective) is
Scorpio N
Front Seats - King size
Middle Seats - Commoner (ergonomic issues and bumpy rides)
Rear Seats - Prisoner (punishment seats)

XUV 700
Front Seats - Royalty (King size is a notch above considering the height and road presence)
Middle Seats - Royalty (plush and comfortable rides)
Rear Seats - Commoner (can accommodate 2 adults unless they are 6+)

Overall (other than for off-roading abilities), I find XUV700 a much better product and would be booking one too (pending variant selection). I was actually surprised by the bookings Scorpio N garnered. On variants of XUV700, just wondering whether AX5 would also get a 6 airbag option post Oct 1, 2022, then AX7 would only feel cosmetically better.

The only spoiler for me not to go ahead with delivery of XUV700 (waiting list of 1year plus, but reducing) would be stumbling upon a well maintained Innova Crysta 2.8Z / Fortuner at an attractive price.
MMV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 12:48   #27
BANNED

It's no surprise that the XUV700 turns out to be the winner in this poll as of now, because of the excellent package of power, performance and features it offers at its price point.
Old 3rd August 2022, 13:02   #28
BHPian

I recently booked ScorpioN, lucky enough to even get introductory price.

However, my vote goes to XUV700.
It is a game changer and off late the torch bearer for Indian manufactured cars. It is what a show stopper is !!

Few years back, noone expected this from a purely Indian manufacturer to offer something like this (let alone Mahindra).
Indepth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 13:13   #29
BHPian

My vote goes for the Innova crysta. The innova is one such car which will always be close to my heart having owned two of them in the past and not even a single issue faced. One was the 2008 G4 and the other one was the 2012 G4.
We sold the 2008 one in just 3 years and we had done somewhere around 1.3l kms and still hadn't faced any issues and got around 80% of the car value after three years and 1.3l kms. The 2012 was sold off in 2018 which had covered 2.10l kms and again we fetched a good amount. So no matter how many competitors the innova have in the market I'll always pick the innova.
Old 3rd August 2022, 13:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Having owned the Crysta 2.8 for three years, I can say it is a workhorse, good long distance cruiser, fairly fuel efficient, punchy engine and rugged gearbox, ultra low maintenance and niggle free. It is one car that will forever live in my garage just because it is all of the above and you can just fill it, shut it and forget it. Any location, any altitude, any distance, it is always at ease.

Having said that, in this poll I have voted for the XUV 700. Reasons:
1. Monocoque chassis
2. Shorter in height as compared to Scorpio-N, assuming better handler.
3. Most powerful diesel engine available in this category
4. FSD-II suspension
5. Safety rating (India's safest car)
6. VFM. Although there are some crucial features missing, those are not something of a deal-breaker. Some of them can be retrofitted as well. All in all a good 5 seater family tourer. Some of my friends in South Africa cant wait to get their hands on it. And they are not even Indians. Says a lot about the brand and its reliability across markets.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks