Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2022, 13:57   #16
BHPian

Re: A soft-top Mahindra Thar vs a pre-owned German SUV

Just wanted to ask one thing here. Is it against the law to drive thar without cover in Delhi? Can traffic police stop me?
Old 22nd August 2022, 16:18   #17
BHPian

I am in a similar dilemma.

I currently have an Ertiga CNG 2020 and a Datsun RediGo in my garage. Quite satisfied with both. I
am looking for a third vehicle (off-roader + daily driver) that will take me places my Ertiga can't reach, and it will be shared by me and my wife.

My search narrowed to the Thar P AT Convertible Top (I live in Delhi-NCR and most of my trips are in mountains) but after reading reviews and posts on Team-BHP, my decision changed to That D AT as it has better FE, refinement, and Mahindra's strong hold in Diesel engines. Mostly I travel with one more person so the practical 2 seats are not a problem at all.

There are only two doubts:
1. Is the soft top practical?
2. I sometimes camp or sleep in my car and That can't really fulfill that.

Then came the Gurkha and the Scorpio N Z4 4WD.

Luckily I am in the first 25000 so getting the Scorpio in the introductory price however, I need it by 30th Nov. As Mahindra is prioritizing Z8 and Z8L, I doubt that the delivery date for my Scorpio N would be by this year.

Also, Z4 4WD is missing the MLD (it seems to be concerning for me).
Honestly, I don't have any off-roading experience.
Is the missing MLD really a concern? Or should I consider after-market lockers (ARB, etc.) after 1-2 years?

Gurkha meets the delivery deadlines and the off-roading use-case but it is least when we see the features (this car is going to be a daily driver).

I guess I can also manage to get the Thar (by Nov 30) by adding some accessories and the demand is decreasing.

I am an avid traveler and only I know a little about cars. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 23rd August 2022, 09:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpopulrxplorer View Post
I am in a similar dilemma.

I currently have an Ertiga CNG 2020 and a Datsun RediGo in my garage. Quite satisfied with both. I
am looking for a third vehicle (off-roader + daily driver) that will take me places my Ertiga can't reach, and it will be shared by me and my wife.

Started a thread here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...rkha-thar.html

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd August 2022 at 10:32. Reason: Quote content trimmed
Old 31st August 2022, 19:10   #19
BHPian

I suggest you to go with the Thar without any second thought. But instead of manual go for the automatic. Drive one and you will love it. The gearbox may not be as fast as your other cars but is very smooth and properly tuned with the engine.
asm3899_CHD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 12:39   #20
BHPian

Just an update on the thread, I finally decided to bite the bullet and go with the heart. Got this beast home yesterday, fondly nicknamed 'Raka' .

Thanks to everyone for their inputs and special thanks to fellow team-bhpian ph03n!x who went out of their way to help us, was kind enough to give a long test drive and clear all apprehensions around a convertible top.

A soft-top Mahindra Thar vs a pre-owned German SUV-img20230106wa0053.jpg

A soft-top Mahindra Thar vs a pre-owned German SUV-img20230106wa0049.jpg

A soft-top Mahindra Thar vs a pre-owned German SUV-img20230106wa0045.jpg
animeshc is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 12:45   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeshc View Post
Just an update on the thread, I finally decided to bite the bullet and go with the heart.CH]
Well done! Great choice! Lovely colour too!
Welcome to the Thar world.
Its a very good vehicle. I absolutely love my Thar every time I see it my heart sings!
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks