Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What should I do with my Endeavour
Keep it, the engine displacement matters 129 46.74%
Sell it, you get a better engine after 4+ years 147 53.26%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2022, 12:02   #16
BHPian

re: Should I keep a Ford Endeavour 3.2L or let it go?

Voted: Sell
You may not be able to get a bigger engine but by the time you come back, the market would have a lot to choose from.
Samegoodkid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 12:03   #17
BHPian

Voted Sell.

The simple reason is that you got a 3.2-liter 4x4 to enjoy, not your parents. So, there is no point in leaving a liability sitting with them. It's better to let it go and get them a compact automatic SUV.

As for your dilemma that for the same money you might not get to experience this powertrain when you return, well, you can always invest the sale proceeds and let it compound to have a corpus ready for a new set of wheels. And who knows by them we might have a Toyota Fortuner with all the pros of Endeavour and a monstrous diesel hybrid engine under the hood.
AROO7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 13:17   #18
BHPian

Voted Sell.

You mentioned that you will be out for atleast 4+ years, which means that the car will be atleast 7 years or older when you comemback. With minimal use during these 4 years, it might become a white elephant. Would suggest to keep your parents out of trouble by not asking them to maintain the beats for 4+ years. Get them a car which is fit for their use and has a small footprint. And then buy something contemporary when you come back.

I was in a similar situation in 2013, when we were relocating to London for 3-5 years and had a 6 month old Laura 1.8 TSI. I was sure that it would be difficult for my parents to maintain the car and drive around in it. Your endevour is much much bigger. So I decided to sell it. Do I regret selling it - ofcourse yes - and I still feel sad looking at the car’s pics but then it was a practical decision that I took.
Shreyas Aterkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 13:32   #19
BHPian

Voted: Sell.

Yes it's a great car, and it's bound to affect you emotionally to sell it at just three years old...

But like others have pointed out, in your absence , it will just a depreciating white elephant that your parents will have to maintain and worry about.

Also, four years in these times is a much longer period of time these days than, let's say 15 years ago.

The pace of technology change is much quicker, and I can assure you that the Indian car ecosystem will look very different once you come back!

Also, your own preferences may have changed substantially once you experience driving other cars wherever you're relocating to, so I would recommend you sell this asset and put the funds to good use, maybe even just an FD or an Index fund. The proceeds four years later are sure to fund a major part of whichever car you buy once you're back, if not completely!
vijaysrk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 17:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

You know Anumod, no matter how staunch supporter I am of Endeavour 3.2 (especially the last batch ones), if you as a primary driver are going to be away for 4 years - I would suggest you sell it. Here is how I see it.

• You being away means no matter what you manage to do for your parents, your car will be low run on odo.
  • Managing service is easy, sticking to a set standard in your absence will prove difficult.
  • 3.2's resale is strong right now, you won't lose much if you sell now. 4 years down the line, well in OEM's absence - expect quite a dip in your resale.
  • Endeavour is one-of-a-kind vehicle in Indian auto market right now. Having said that, if you need a SUV 4 years later - something competent would still be available, if not new perhaps in pre-owned market. In fact you could trying finding a clean Ford later on if nothing else suits your taste once you are back - Sell High now and you could Buy Low later.

As a current owner of Endeavour, even I don't know what can I replace my car with. However, if I were in your position for a second, even I would have decided to sell it out. Hard decision I know, at time we need to be a bit practical. Please keep us posted how you go about it.
Ace F355 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 17:20   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a FANTASTIC vehicle, Anumod and would have loved to see you retaining it. However, considering your parents could use it, one question I have is about the ingress / egress for them ? I know Endy is big and tall - people need to "climb in" - are your parents comfortable?

If you come back and want to have an Endeavour, am sure you'll be able to find one in the used market. If all conditions are favourable in terms of usage, retain in - if not enough usage (<500 kms a month including highway drives), consider selling it.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 18:36   #22
BHPian

Voted Sell

- 4 years is a long period, things change newer options available at that time will not make you miss your current ride, plus there is a high chance you yourself will fell Endeavour outdated (with time + exposure to other cars abroad)

- 'There is no substitute to displacement' is gradually loosing its value with new tech / hybrid / turbo petrols

- I would not suggest parents who are not avid drivers / driving enthusiasts to take care of a car which might face parts issue
Asoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 19:26   #23
BHPian

Voted for selling the endeavor. Letting her sit idle won't do any good for you or her. On top of that, there's this question of getting spares after 4 years ! Get your parents a diesel Karen's / Sonet, so they'd have a car at their disposal.
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 20:31   #24
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi,

I would be interested in your 3.2 L Endy, we had a 2005 version back then, sold it in 2012.

Back in 2016, I ended up booking an X5 which was a close call vs 2016 Endy

Do ping me if you decide to sell.

Last edited by niruvrs9669 : 20th August 2022 at 20:32.
niruvrs9669 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 21:02   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Why keep a sharply depreciating asset that also deteriorates with time, without loving maintenance? Why have a fixation for a large diesel with pedestrian performance, when you can return to India in 4-5 years and afford to buy an electric / hybrid / PHEV SUV that will outperform this vehicle by a long way? Why keep something that the government is making it progressively more difficult to own, i.e. a diesel engined LMV?

Sell it, bank the money, come back and add your funds, and buy an EQC. Maybe even a Tesla would be available in India by that time.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 21:04   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

It's preferable if you sell it off and get a smaller automatic for your parents. Four years is a long gap and the Endeavour's spares could be getting rarer by then. These European machines need more TLC than the Japanese and South Korean ones and in your absence with the proper and requisite doses of TLC not forthcoming could make the beast yell in vain "gimmme more"!

There is no fun to be derived from this kind of a huge engine if its deprived of proper upkeep.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 20th August 2022 at 21:07.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 23:54   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
Now I need to travel abroad (for at least 4+ years). I am in double minds, should I sell this now or keep it. And once I come back, I can use it.
The answer is your question only, at least 4 years of non-usage or sparing usage. When you come back say in 4-5 years, your car is almost 8 years old at that point.

Funny enough the survey results are 50-50, however, 95% of people who took time to write a comment tells you to sell it, and I would agree with that.

Sell it now and put that money to work so you can buy a new car when you come back. You can easily get 6-8% interest every year (say bank FDs or corporate bonds), while you car will depreciate at a higher rate (say 10%) each year. In this inflationary car market you should be easily able to sell it for a good price.

It's a no-brainer IMHO. Sell it and move on. Good luck.

Last edited by inwester : 20th August 2022 at 23:56.
inwester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 08:54   #28
BHPian

I would not personally sell it as 3.2 is a gem of an engine so I voted don't sell. But if you plan on selling, please consider selling it to me.
R.I.P is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 10:12   #29
BHPian

Hi Anumod

It's good to know about the opportunity. Wishing you the best.

I voted for 'Sell'. No doubt, the 3.2 is a gem of an engine et al. But, if it's not going to be used well for the next few years and coupled with the fact that the Govt is looking at stifling sales of Diesel cars and even looking at blanket ban of vehicles more than n no. of years, I feel it's too much of a variable to hang onto the car until then.

Regards
Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 15:43   #30
BHPian

I'd be interested as well should you plan to part with it. Please do DM and we can take it further.
Shanky_1002 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks