Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What should I do with my Endeavour
Keep it, the engine displacement matters 129 46.74%
Sell it, you get a better engine after 4+ years 147 53.26%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2022, 18:13   #1
BHPian

Should I keep a Ford Endeavour 3.2L or let it go?

Hi All,

I own a 3.2 Endeavour (4X4) Titanium plus. I bought this when I got to hear that in India 3.2 engine will not be available anymore. At that time, I had an Endeavour 2.2 (4X4) manual. I exchanged the 2.2 for a 3.2. I got one of the last sets of 3.2 in October 2019.

Now I need to travel abroad (for at least 4+ years). I am in double minds, should I sell this now or keep it. And once I come back, I can use it. When I am abroad, my parents can use it, but very rarely. (they don't drive, but will have a driver and use it. ) If I sell, I may need to buy a small automatic for my parents.

The reason for keeping it, we may not be able to get such a big engine in the coming up years.

(NB : Moderators, if this doesn't warrant a discussion, please merge with any similar threads)
anumod is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 18:24   #2
BHPian

re: Should I keep a Ford Endeavour 3.2L or let it go?

Voted for “sell” but reason is not exactly the same what the poll intended for. You will certainly get better engine but not in terms of higher displacement but more in terms of efficiency or hybrid options on lower displacement.

Last edited by Wanderers : 18th August 2022 at 18:26.
Wanderers is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 18:35   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

4 years of not enjoying it ? And wont even be used by parents - even with a driver. Wish there was a way for you to keep it. I normally would have said try to keep it, but in this case - Not easy, but let go. At least another enthusiast can put it to use.

Hopefully there will be good options when you are back.
condor is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 18:44   #4
BHPian

Voted for Sell. It is most likely to be chauffer driven and 4WD may never get used at all. As it ages, my belief is that spares and service costs could potentially go up, unless Ford starts to import the next gen Everest / Endy into India.

4 years is a very long time for automobile world and you may get a top notch EV that does the same thing for a similar price of your 3.2 Titanium Plus.
diwakarmuthu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 18:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Oh man, you have a lovely car but given your situation you should sell. The current Ford service agreements last till 2025/2026, beyond which it's anybody's guess how it will be.

Plus since the car will hardly be used, just sell and I'm sure you'll find something else once you are back. People in Hyderabad looking for an Endeavour just got lucky !
fiat_tarun is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 19:07   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
I need to travel abroad (for at least 4+ years). I am in double minds, should I sell this now or keep it.
Sell it not just because Ford is not here or any vehicle-related issues but purely because of the lower resales you will get after 4 Years.

Get your parents a Petrol Innova. It will be far more comfortable and practical for them. I won't be surprised if they use that much more than you are anticipating (visiting distant relatives/ friends etc.)
Turbanator is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 21:11   #7
BHPian

Since you'll not be enjoying it for "at least" 4+ years, parents won't be driving it and Ford has already exited our market further affecting resale at a later date, it would seem prudent to sell it now and get it's best value. Hopefully by the time you're back, we'll have better and more options in our market for you to chose from.

As Turbanator suggested, a Petrol Innova (maybe the upcoming hybrid one) could be a really good option for your parents in the meantime.
Revvman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 21:54   #8
Team-BHP Support

IMO, depends on 2 aspects.

• How much would the SUV be used? If it can be used for even 800 - 1000 kms monthly, it would be good. And if the driver is competent enough to get it serviced properly sticking to manufacturer recommended consumables changes and can engage 4H & 4L once a month to keep the mechanicals working / oiled,

And

• How would Ford play it out in the next 4 years and beyond?

The first aspect is something which you can fathom and can control somewhat. Second one is something which none of us have any sort of idea.

Pros for keeping your 3.2. Engine, solid build and all the pros of the Endeavour. Plus no DPF nonsense.

Cons, well, not much in terms of the product, but what and where would the market be moving towards, your priorities may change towards a van or a sedan. Plus, maybe a nice turbo petrol AT 4WD may come from any manufacturer, who knows.

Confusing situation indeed. Do keep us posted .

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd August 2022 at 07:26. Reason: As per RP
Sheel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 09:50   #9
BHPian

You said "at least" 4 years which means it could be much more than that. Better to sell now than selling after 4 years if your stay is extended.

I would also not trust a driver with such an expensive and huge car especially since you won't be there to monitor the activities.

Good news for you is that pre-owned Endys are selling for a premium right now and you could ride that wave before it subsides.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 11:41   #10
BHPian

As others suggested to sell, I believe you might get a great price today.

Reason: A very close friend of mine working in Bangalore flew all the way to Chandigarh (his native) to buy a second hand Endeavour. He sold his 5-6 year old X1 because of higher after sales maintenance costs. So, I see a lot of love for second hand Endeavour specially for your variant.
dular is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 13:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

4 year is a long time and some of the things that can happen:
  • Old (BS4) diesels getting banned
  • Car developing issues because of not using regularly
  • Can be a liability for parents to keep it in good shape
  • Drivers abusing it (if hired), especially since you are not around
  • Potential parts availability issues
  • scenario would have changed completely and there would be tempting big EV cars and disposing the Endeavour could be an issue
Guna is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 13:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

If the car usage is minimal, sell it. The chances of car developing issues are higher if not used regularly. 4 years is too long time and lot of things can happen. Even if you are emotionally connected, it will be sad to see car lying idle and facing multiple issues.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 13:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

Sell and cut your losses, if you won't use it, you can't mothball a car hope for it to be in good condition, may set you back more and the parts may not be easily available, for it to be road worthy. But the time you return a car with your Endeavour's spec sheet may easily be a crore on road the way the car prices are shooting up day by day.

Last edited by Sheel : 20th August 2022 at 11:43. Reason: Endy = Endeavour. No acronyms please. Thanks.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 20:06   #14

I would be very interested In having a look at your Endeavour if you’re considering selling
drjv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 11:38   #15
BHPian

Voted: Keep.

My logic is rather simple, think of the 'cost of replacement theory'. It would be impossible to get an endeavour level of car for below 50 lakhs these days, just take a look at the price chart of the Fortuner on-road in your area today and this will make my point.

The 3.2 is also a gem of an engine, a friend of mine faced the same dilemma when he had to relocate to California from Mumbai for round about 4-5 years. Long story short, he is back in Mumbai now and keeping in mind the current car prices he is extremely glad that he didn't let go of his Endeavour.

But, he made sure that the car is maintained while he wasn't here and hired a trustable chauffeur for his parents' usage. Another point to consider is the fact that he was certain that he is going to return to India in the next 4 years if not faster. If your return is uncertain then in that case it might make more sense to sell.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks